• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 13, 2017
Never played the originals, but will definitely be buying this to learn about the franchise a bit more than just watching people stream it.

I see saving has been added anywhere in the game. How did saving work before?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Are there any details on the PC version? 60FPS? 120FPS? 4K capable?
Locked to 30fps because "Throughout the engine, game code and scripts there are hard coded assumptions about a fixed 30Hz frame update rate, so the game needs to run at 30Hz", which is understandable all things considered.

"Fully scalable screen resolutions" is listed on the Steam page, so assuming yes to 4K.

Deleted member 23075

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have PS4 and Xbox versions preordered. May triple dip and buy digitally to keep the sealed games for the collection.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
August 20th? Hm, that's not a good time for me since I might be going through a new Yakuza 0 run on the PC by then, but more importantly, that's only a 1 week window before the gauntlet of Yakuza Kiwami 2, Spider-Man, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Fist of the North Star, and Mega Man 11 begins starting on the 28th. At least they're short games, but I wish this collection was coming out earlier.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I ordered it ages ago for £28 physical but I see it's £22.50 (10% Plus discount) on SEN. I'll be buying this digitally and loaning my physical disc to a friend. Good times!

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Highly annoyed that the digital preorder is not up on the us ps store.

Edit: It's up. Not annoyed anymore

Last edited:

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
already pre ordered, did this for Michael Huber!!

UnsungFavorableAustraliancurlew.gif

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing - less than 2 months. I remember when this was just a fanboys dream. The changes they've made sound great too - being able to play the whole series in japanese audio, my goodness

master15

Nov 28, 2017
So excited for this. It has been such a long time since I have played the original games so I am looking forward to dive back into this.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm waiting until I can pick it up for under £15.

They are two of my favourite games ever but I'm worried I'm going to hate them now.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard nothing but good things about these games. Maybe I should jump in with these.

And what do you know, finally something major comes out directly on my birthday. This should make a nice gift.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I don't know. I absolutely loved Shenmue 2 on Xbox 360 back then, but the games look so incredibly dated now, I don't think I will be able to enjoy them anymore, especially in a time where the Yakuza series exists.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I will probably take a pass if this can't do 60FPS. I'm confused though -- isn't it possible to emulate the game at high framerates?
No. Anything you see online claiming to be Shenmue @ 60FPS either isn't, or is some interpolated weirdness.

It's still worth a punt to play it, IMO. There's nothing really about either of these games where 30FPS feels like a barrier.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
No. Anything you see online claiming to be Shenmue @ 60FPS either isn't, or is some interpolated weirdness.

It's still worth a punt to play it, IMO. There's nothing really about either of these games where 30FPS feels like a barrier.

Over time, I've gotten frustrated with how commonly people believe you can just "turn on" 60 fps via emulation without full testing/adjustment. More than five times, I've seen a declaration that specific games run "perfectly" at arbitrary framerates, only to have it turn out that there are multiple failure points in the game where you simply can't play past at higher FPS. Meaning enough people didn't think to actually play the game through, once, to test it before proselytizing. And that shoddy work is what informs this idea of how "easy" it is.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Over time, I've gotten frustrated with how commonly people believe you can just "turn on" 60 fps via emulation without full testing/adjustment. More than five times, I've seen a declaration that specific games run "perfectly" at arbitrary framerates, only to have it turn out that there are multiple failure points in the game where you simply can't play past at higher FPS. Meaning enough people didn't think to actually play the game through, once, to test it before proselytizing. And that shoddy work is what informs this idea of how "easy" it is.
Mm. Okami HD is a good example of this. When the 30FPS cap was confirmed plenty of people came out the woodwork with the 60FPS emulated footage, but failing to mention the ways it basically broke the game.

Pretty much everything about Shenmue would break at 60 if it really is hard-coded into the engine, code, and scripts like the FAQ says.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I pre-ordered it from Steam but this conversion needs to stop, it's simply bullshit. I think there's a reason games are priced the way they are for each country, but in Europe they are priced just too much compared to United States.
In US a new AAA release is usually 60$ while in europe it's 70€ if we are lucky or 75€. Man, Amazon just put all the new pre-orders for Anthem etc for 80€, it's insane compared to how much a common person gain each month.
Now even Sega, game priced 30$ becomes 35€ for...what reason?

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
How does Shenmue compare to the Yakuza series?

They are closer than some hardcore shenmue/yakuza fans want to admit, the yakuza series would not exist in a world where shenmue was never released.

Shenmue has some slice of life sim elements but so does yakuza to a lesser extent, imo the yakuza games have FAR better writing, i love the shenmue games but ryo is an autistic robot and most of the dialogue is pretty bad.

I am really looking forward to playing the remaster, it's been 10 years since i last replayed it and i am super exited to finally get the chance to play shenmue 3.

Captain Goodnight

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I've never played the Shenmue games before, should I get this? Have they aged well? I've backed Shenmue 3....

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
If I've never played the Shenmue games before, should I get this? Have they aged well? I've backed Shenmue 3....
Some people say yes, some people say no, but the real answer is probably somewhere in the middle. Most of the complaints are things that were brought up on release, and most of the things new players like about these games even now are the things people liked in 1999/2000/2001. It is almost timeless in its divisiveness in that regard, but this remaster addresses two of the three common complaints.

You've got dual language options if you can't handle the English dub, a modern control scheme if the traditional controls aren't your thing, but the only persistent complaint not addressed in this remaster are the pacing issues in the original Shenmue, but frankly there's enough stuff to explore, check out, and kill time with on your first play-through that it shouldn't be a huge issue unless you're particularly impatient.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
How does Shenmue compare to the Yakuza series?

I think a loooot of yakuza fans are going to find out how dissimilar they are with this release. It's always been a very superficial comparison - the core gameplay of Shenmue is exploration and conversation and daily life, and the core gameplay in Yakuza is fighting. Yakuza obviously leaned heavily on Shenmue for it's inception and initial development, but the anybody going into Shenmue expecting a yakuza experience is going to come away very disappointed.

I think we're going to see a lot of surly LTTP threads for these two games actually. Should be entertaining lol

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Joyous news today. Thankfully cutscenes will be 4:3 with no hideous cropping. I'm sure fans who want 16x9 will release mods for PC either way. Now I am wondering about the music changes in the Xbox version of Shenmue 2; if these were preserved or they swapped back in the DC version such as the Thousand White convent.
I hope this game gives us all kinds of configuration options. But 4:3 for the entire game including cutscenes is ok too.

Also I wonder if all the real world products made it in at the end or were cut due to licensing. They've always lent a sense of authenticity to the world so it'd be a shame if they replace the real stuff with fake made up names.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I think a loooot of yakuza fans are going to find out how dissimilar they are with this release. It's always been a very superficial comparison - the core gameplay of Shenmue is exploration and conversation and daily life, and the core gameplay in Yakuza is fighting. Yakuza obviously leaned heavily on Shenmue for it's inception and initial development, but the anybody going into Shenmue expecting a yakuza experience is going to come away very disappointed.

I think we're going to see a lot of surly LTTP threads for these two games actually. Should be entertaining lol
I love the sound of everything I have ever heard about Shenmue. Taking the dense intimate worlds of Yakuza, dialing down the combat, and dialing up the social interactions and slice-of-life aspects sounds amazing

I just hope it's okay control-wise. That's usually where old games and me tend to butt heads, especially with PS1-era games.