• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza and Shenmue are completely different experiences but when I see comparison wars between the two games I would like people to reference Yakuza (ps2) instead of Yakuza 0 or 6. I hope we can avoid future threads like that but it may be inevitable.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I love the sound of everything I have ever heard about Shenmue. Taking the dense intimate worlds of Yakuza, dialing down the combat, and dialing up the social interactions and slice-of-life aspects sounds amazing

I just hope it's okay control-wise. That's usually where old games and me tend to butt heads, especially with PS1-era games.
Your first 30 minutes with the game will be horrific. But if you can endure that, the control scheme gets fine enough for what you need to do in the game.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love the sound of everything I have ever heard about Shenmue. Taking the dense intimate worlds of Yakuza, dialing down the combat, and dialing up the social interactions and slice-of-life aspects sounds amazing

I just hope it's okay control-wise. That's usually where old games and me tend to butt heads, especially with PS1-era games.

A tip that will help you adjust quicker: think of controlling Ryo like you would a car. The right trigger (or left depending on your settings) is the accelerator, and depending on how much pressure you put on it will determine whether he'll walk or run. Use left and right on the dpad to steer him. I've always felt that it was actually fairly intuitive once you get the hang of it.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A tip that will help you adjust quicker: think of controlling Ryo like you would a car. The right trigger (or left depending on your settings) is the accelerator, and depending on how much pressure you put on it will determine whether he'll walk or run. Use left and right on the dpad to steer him. I've always felt that it was actually fairly intuitive once you get the hang of it.

That may not be necessary - the updated controls specifically mention that you can use the analog stick to control him.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

I think the modern controls are going to do a lot. I love Shenmue unconditionally, but even I can admit, it had an absolutely bizarre control scheme, which basically involved one of the triggers "accelerating" Ryo. Like that was how movement was initiated lol.

So I think even a lot of purists will probably opt for the modern controls, even if they briefly dabble in the classic.

But yeah, even if the age where everything has become open world, there remains nothing like Shenmue. Whereas every other game went broader and larger, Shenmue goes deeper, with detail in the environments you won't find anywhere else. You'll probably be surprised how small the total play area is - particularly in Shenmue 1 - but again, that's in line with the philosophy of quality over quantity.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I think the modern controls are going to do a lot. I love Shenmue unconditionally, but even I can admit, it had an absolutely bizarre control scheme, which basically involved one of the triggers "accelerating" Ryo. Like that was how movement was initiated lol.

So I think even a lot of purists will probably opt for the modern controls, even if they briefly dabble in the classic.

But yeah, even if the age where everything has become open world, there remains nothing like Shenmue. Whereas every other game went broader and larger, Shenmue goes deeper, with detail in the environments you won't find anywhere else. You'll probably be surprised how small the total play area is - particularly in Shenmue 1 - but again, that's in line with the philosophy of quality over quantity.
Do we know what they actually mean with "modern"? I bet it's mostly going to be analogic control for the first game and not much more else.
I don't think they're going to ditch the tank controls.

Get_crazy

Oct 28, 2017
On the PSN pre-order page, there's this mention:

"In-game purchases optional"

Do we already know what those "optional purchases" are?

Edit:
Do we know what they actually mean with "modern"? I bet it's mostly going to be analogic control for the first game and not much more else.
It's in the OP:

What does Modern control scheme mean?
Modern control scheme means we have enabled use of the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad for movement of Ryo, as well as adding full mouse and keyboard support for PC users.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

"Modern control scheme means we have enabled use of the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad for movement of Ryo, as well as adding full mouse and keyboard support for PC users."

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
On the PSN pre-order page, there's this mention:

"In-game purchases optional"

Do we already know what those "optional purchases" are?
No mention of anything of the sort on the Xbox or Steam pages for the game, nor in any of the information about the game that's come out today. Text like this has slipped into descriptions on PSN before when there's nothing of the sort in those games.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first real confirmation of the remasters, right? I know there's been rumors before and stuff like "We're looking into it", but they just dropped the announcement a couple months out?

I thought it would be a bigger event than this... oh well, bring on Skies of Arcadia next please.

Get_crazy

Oct 28, 2017
No mention of anything of the sort on the Xbox or Steam pages for the game, nor in any of the information about the game that's come out today. Text like this has slipped into descriptions on PSN before when there's nothing of the sort in those games.
Ok, so it must be some kind of copy/paste mistake.

This is the first real confirmation of the remasters, right? I know there's been rumors before and stuff like "We're looking into it", but they just dropped the announcement a couple months out?

I thought it would be a bigger event than this... oh well, bring on Skies of Arcadia next please.
It might be the first confirmation for you, but SEGA already confirmed it some times ago.

Edit: confirmed by SEGA on April 14th
https://www.resetera.com/threads/shenmue-i-ii-remaster-2018-pc-ps4-xb1-29-99.36105/

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so it must be some kind of copy/paste mistake.

It might be the first confirmation for you, but SEGA already confirmed it some times ago.

Edit: confirmed by SEGA on April 14th
https://www.resetera.com/threads/shenmue-i-ii-remaster-2018-pc-ps4-xb1-29-99.36105/

Announced in April by CEO of SEGA Games at the SEGA Fes event in Japan.

There's like a nearly 70 page thread about it lol.

Ohh, I do remember that now. It's been a busy couple of months with all the pre-E3/E3 announcements.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Preordered on Steam. Will probably not be done with Yakuza 0 by August 21 though. Looking much forward to once again revisit these games that have meant so much for me. Let's hope for an unannounced secret ending where
Ryo does the right thing and choose to stay as Xiuying's disciple instead of bothering with Lan Di.
;)

Loganclaws

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The saga that introduced the plaque of QTEs to gaming. No thanks!

Locked to 30 fps, add insult to injury. Please don't support this.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What's the state of the licensed products in the games like Coca-Cola and Timex? Still gonna be there? Gone?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
WTF so soon, cant wait to play these for the first time
How have these aged story wise?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
How about you stay out of threads for games you're not interested in?

In better news, it's currently the #1 PS4 game in the US on Amazon. Sega really ought to reconsider that collector's edition...

4th on the Amazon UK chart. Just behind Jurassic World, Detroit and GOW. Looks like it shot up the charts as soon as the release date got announced. Good stuff :)

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Some people just don't seem to read that "it's okay not to post" part of the ERA FAQ.

Similarly that poster didn't read the FAQ SEGA put out about this game either, which explains in completely reasonable terms why it's 30FPS.

And for the rest of their post, well. There's always one jumped up twerp thinking they're crusading knight in shining armour of gaming, telling people how to spend their money.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017

d6WZvxV.png

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Really baffling that they decided to release this so close to Kiwami 2. I was honestly going to check it out of curiosity but now I'm probably going to wait a few months.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Really baffling that they decided to release this so close to Kiwami 2. I was honestly going to check it out of curiosity but now I'm probably going to wait a few months.

Spiderman in Sept and then Oct is stacked with RDR 2, AC Odyssey, BF V, etc.

Aug is a much safer month for release vs those.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

I'm the kind of gamer who would love to see Warren Spector's One City Block idea realized one day, so a small but incredibly dense, detailed, and lively world is so up my alley

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017

Bahahaha get out with this shit. Always in a shenmue thread....

Anyway yes i cannot wait. Said in another thread have both consoles pre ordered. Been waiting forever to be able to play on modern consoles. My fav game ever. Words cannot express.

I hope there is some sort of Pro support. Not expecting HDR but 4k should be a given considering the PC version should be and its jot taxing.

EDIT: So the playstation store says " fully scalable screen resolutions" so im assuming 4K on PS4 as well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm disappointed with the 30 FPS cap and 4:3 cutscenes, but in this case it's not a deal breaker for me. I can't wait to finish Shenmue for the first time. I've played it twice but never finished.

Oct 28, 2017
As expected a shitty port rushed out by SEGA to steal some of Shenmue 3's thunder.

Any news of the saves transferring over to Shenmue 3? If not, no reason for me to buy.

Oct 30, 2017
As expected a shitty port rushed out by SEGA to steal some of Shenmue 3's thunder.

Any news of the saves transferring over to Shenmue 3? If not, no reason for me to buy.
I'm a bit bummed by the sound—at least the voices—sounding compressed still. I'm not surprised Sega didn't pull out all the stops, though. Getting them to even release this took a concerted effort over many years, so I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I hope Sega is encouraged by the response to this remaster and Shenmue III and considers the place Shenmue has in their portfolio, when Shenmue IV becomes tangible.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like things haven't changed for me. Still a Sega fanboy despite all these years. The only pre-orders I have at the moment are Shenmue 1 & 2, Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 4....