PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, that's pretty much how the game wants you to play, I think. In my mind, you don't get reliable access to a decent spread of resists until you're out of the early game, so it's always a toss up until that point. I agree that early game is especially brutal due to what you said, but also how demon negotiation is like weighted random or something. I think there's a conversation here about how the inverse difficulty curve affects mainstream appeal.

I think that's absolutely a factor, yeah. I don't think SMT wants to be mainstream popular, though. They really lean into the concept of a hostile world that doesn't really care about making it easy for you.

It kinda feels like they want to make it clear up front that if you don't have the patience to go through some trial and error and some admittedly unfair deaths, you probably won't enjoy the rest of the game. Sort of a "this is what you should expect" opening to set the tone for the whole experience, which is then progressively mitigated as the player gets better at understanding the combat system, recognizing enemy attack patterns and building out their party.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
So i looked in to emulators further turns out i was wrong (and i apologize for it) and playing the game in ryujinx is the only way to get correct graphics in an emulator atm, gustave's room is a good way to illustrate this:

Yuzu vulkan with broken shaders:

Yw6k3aZ.png

Yuzu opengl (glasm) textures are not loading correctly:

S5ry8A4.png

ryujinx opengl everything looks as it should:

q0y6qdl.png

we will probably see some fixes when the game is officially released as always.

Edit: Upscaling is already fixed in Ryujinx so no need to use 1x anymore.

I got a really strange red tint during practically anything cutscene/cutscene adjacent when upscaling on Ryujinx last night. Any clue if that was fixed?

Edit: nope still there

Last edited:

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Aug 14, 2020
Anyone who ordered the Premium edition with the UK Nintendo Store had any movement? I've been charged but it's still processing. I've never used them before so I'm really hoping they get it to me for release day.

Same. Been charged but nothing else, still says processing. Last time I bought from Nintendo UK, they dispatched it the day before and it arrived next day via DPD, so I'm not too concerned!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's absolutely a factor, yeah. I don't think SMT wants to be mainstream popular, though. They really lean into the concept of a hostile world that doesn't really care about making it easy for you.

It kinda feels like they want to make it clear up front that if you don't have the patience to go through some trial and error and some admittedly unfair deaths, you probably won't enjoy the rest of the game. Sort of a "this is what you should expect" opening to set the tone for the whole experience, which is then progressively mitigated as the player gets better at understanding the combat system, recognizing enemy attack patterns and building out their party.
Yep agreed, that does seem to be the goal. I do wonder if there is a way to still impart that unforgiving hostile feeling another way. Because fans do want the games to sell more, but not by changing that aspect.

Either way, just like SMTIV, I'll most likely trudge through the opening and start enjoying it once I get access to more tools. Excited to be exploring biomes FF12 style instead of an abstract overworld.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
So the first Megami Tensei game was a Famicom game where one of the characters was the reincarnation of Japanese goddess Izanami, right?

None of the other games have centered around any reincarnated goddesses, right?

I hope we get SMT with a female protag some time, possibly a reincarnation of some goddess (even a made up one).

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So the first Megami Tensei game was a Famicom game where one of the characters was the reincarnation of Japanese goddess Izanami, right?

I hope we get SMT with a female protag some time, possibly a reincarnation of some goddess (even a made up one).
The female protag in SMT if... is canon, so there's that at least. Then Maya if the Persona 2 duology counts as SMT lol.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, that's pretty much how the game wants you to play, I think. In my mind, you don't get reliable access to a decent spread of resists until you're out of the early game, so it's always a toss up until that point. I agree that early game is especially brutal due to what you said, but also how demon negotiation is like weighted random or something. I think there's a conversation here about how the inverse difficulty curve affects mainstream appeal.

The frontloaded difficulty is pretty much unavoidable with how mainline SMT is made. The press turn system with fully customizable party members on top of stat allocation on the main character means things steamroll fast once enough fusion options open up to make demons with no weaknesses and the main character has their stats mostly dumped into the attack stat of choice. For better or worse, those systems are a big part of the appeal, and like you said, likely has some affect on the series' mainstream appeal.

Though Atlus has been good about adding easy modes for a while, so hopefully those can help some not be scared away by the series difficult reputation.

They need to just give us the option.

I'm happy with Nahobino's androgynous look, but it's dumb SMT is still stuck on gen I Pokemon on this aspect.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
To say I am excited for this game is a massive understatement.

I've been reading all the previews, immersing myself in the interviews, updates etc, and I couldn't be happier. Friday cannot come soon enough.

Jun 24, 2019
I'm interested to see how the more open-ended structure works out this time around. Honestly the core appeal of SMT for me has always been collecting, fusing, and fighting demons. Dungeons were always more appealing for me as visual spectacles as I find Atlus' traditional dungeon gimmicks like teleporters more annoying than anything else. So if the world structure encourages that core loop I'm here for it. I already got a good amount of dungeon crawling in Nocturne a few months ago.

Now the only thing, is that the lowered demon count compared to something like IV might fuck with the pacing a bit. When I first played that game with its like 400+ demons I was just fusing dudes constantly. Every ten minutes was another dopamine hit. A higher demon count might benefit a more open structure like this game's.

The demons are the main appeal. Recruiting, fusing, negotiating and experimenting with builds are a barrel of fun! The dungeons are usually the secondary appeal.

I don't mind SMT V having a lower demon count, as Nocturne had 185 and it seemed like a lot.

SMT IV and Apocalypse had "True Goddesses Reincarnates"

Burroughs, SMT IV

Your partners in Massacre, Apocalypse

I am not discounting the need for female protagonists (megaten definately needs more) but how about male characters being the reincarnations of female deities lol

The Nahobino is very beautiful, I wouldn't be surprised if he was revered as a Goddess

Jun 24, 2019
Regarding female protagonists of Megaten....

Tamaki, SMT if...
Mirai Kaname, Devil Children Red Book
Maya Amano, Persona 2 EP
Kei Azuma, SMT NINE
FeMC, Persona 3 Portable
Female MC, Dx2 Liberation

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Nahobino is androgynous enough that I feel like they could just keep the same character model even in human form and just let us choose pronouns.

Like yeah, gender-coded Japanese school uniforms or whatever. If they wanted to be lazy they could add a line about Nahobino being "rebellious" or something, like she's doing an Utena.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Nahobino is androgynous enough that I feel like they could just keep the same character model even in human form and just let us choose pronouns.

Like yeah, gender-coded Japanese school uniforms or whatever. If they wanted to be lazy they could add a line about Nahobino being "rebellious" or something, like she's doing an Utena.
Wasn't it stated that the school in SMTV just allows students to wear whichever uniform or something?

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I got a really strange red tint during practically anything cutscene/cutscene adjacent when upscaling on Ryujinx last night. Any clue if that was fixed?

Edit: nope still there

Nope works fine for me on nvidia but i saw this mentioned on discord no clue what is causing it might be a vendor/driver specific bug (for example yuzu and ryujinx devs don't recoomend anything higher then 472.12 for opengl atm) you are not forcing anisotropic filtering or something like that?

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't it stated that the school in SMTV just allows students to wear whichever uniform or something?
Yeah, there was an interview (with Doi, I think) where they said that the school is a place where guys would be allowed to wear skirts. I'm not sure if that ever appears in the game, though.

Jun 24, 2019

It's a shame they didn't offer the option. They created a gender-neutral looking MC, but won't allow us be the desired gender.

Like I know some games have a fixed-gendered MC, and I am totally cool with that but they could have been more flexible with the Nahobino!

And I remember a controversial statement uttered in an Atlus interview that "male protagonist has been the staple of the franchise and females are not likely to survive the apocalypse"

Absolute hogwash!

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Man I am so excited for this game, sad that it leaked so I have to avoid posts and videos from pirates and people who have early copies, but only 2 more days

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Nope works fine for me on nvidia but i saw this mentioned on discord no clue what is causing it might be a vendor/driver specific bug (for example yuzu and ryujinx devs don't recoomend anything higher then 472.12 for opengl atm) you are not forcing anisotropic filtering or something like that?

Just have filtering set to Auto. I'm pretty sure I'm not on anything higher than that but I'll check. Thanks.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
And I remember a controversial statement uttered in an Atlus interview that "male protagonist has been the staple of the franchise and females are not likely to survive the apocalypse"

Absolute hogwash!
God I remember this. So gross.

Also hilariously bullshit even in the context of their own series because, like, Chiaki exists, among other examples.

Jun 24, 2019
Speaking of the "times" I do wonder how V will explore the themes of 'everyday struggles' and topical issues of Japan

I haven't seen reviews bring it up, so I am assuming it's subtle

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the "times" I do wonder how V will explore the themes of 'everyday struggles' and topical issues of Japan

I haven't seen reviews bring it up, so I am assuming it's subtle
Yeah this piqued my interest too. I remember nocturne was made with the idea that the world had stagnated and needed new ideas, so I'm guessing SMTV is pushing godhood because the world is lost right now and needs leadership.

Jun 24, 2019
God I remember this. So gross.

Also hilariously bullshit even in the context of their own series because, like, Chiaki exists, among other examples.

Yeah, and I wonder who are the "traditionalists" making these slow-witted statements. Pre-2001 Atlus created a number of games where you can primarily play as female (Maken X, Devil Children, Persona 2, SMT if... and NINE). It's not the old developers, and among the younger ones, Doi and Ishida are open to having female MCs.

Yeah this piqued my interest too. I remember nocturne was made with the idea that the world had stagnated and needed new ideas, so I'm guessing SMTV is pushing godhood because the world is lost right now and needs leadership.

Ha ha, Nahobino will not only be a God but also Japan's new Prime Minister!!

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Has the game been delayed till the 16th? Called my local indie store that broke street date on IV early. They said it's been delayed.

Mar 30, 2019
Hydra will be the last Daily Demon Showcase before release it seems. More will come after release because of spoilers. If I understand this post right.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Hydra will be the last Daily Demon Showcase before release it seems. More will come after release because of spoilers. If I understand this post right.

I believe they are saying that the Hydra video will be released on the 15th and the showcases would continue from there to 214 and it is for spoiler reasons. Correct me if I am wrong

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Totally get why they're doing this, but it was a good run. I always looked forward to these videos every day and they were almost like the Smash Bros. Brawl "Japan Time" for me, as they were something exciting to check into every day. Atlus marketing really knocked it out of the park for SMTV.

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
I'm done playing this game on handheld. Can't stand any longer its incredible low resolution. From now on I'll only play it docked since I'm missing a lot of details.

Again, is not that bad like Xenoblade is but it's very, very close.

mookie1515

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, just got word my local gamestore won't be getting SMTV on release date, unsure if they'll get it until Monday. As much as I'd love to support them I don't think I can wait. Gonna hope I can just walk into a GameStop on Friday and grab it.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Glad I play Switch docked for basically everything that isn't Picross.

Sucks the performance is iffy to poor in some areas. :(

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my other friend who's been playing it said it's quite blurry in handheld mode.