• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Neko Navy coming to the switch - https://fruitbatfactory.com/nekonavy/daydream.html

If you don't have the PC version already, make sure you pick this up, it's excellent!
You can still download the very generous demo that lets you play through the entire game on normal difficulty here if you want to try it out - http://deathmofumofu.sakura.ne.jp/game/neko_navy/

Rebalanced stages - harder DEATH difficulty!
Infinite fun with the new ∞ Mode!

I really hope that gets patched into the pc version. I'd love a well balanced endless mode.

PC version on steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/592270/Neko_Navy/

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I'm over here dreaming up a Capcom shmup bundle, but isn't every game in the beat 'em up bundle both developed and published by Capcom? All the shmups we'd really want (Progear, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix...) were only published by Capcom. Could complicate licensing.

Mandarake10

Sep 10, 2018
Is it possible to criticize a product or not?
I simply stated my opinion regarding cash stealing projects based on this "retro" popularity wave.

I am sorry if he felt offended, it is my opinion.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I'm over here dreaming up a Capcom shmup bundle, but isn't every game in the beat 'em up bundle both developed and published by Capcom? All the shmups we'd really want (Progear, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix...) were only published by Capcom. Could complicate licensing.
There are still plenty of Capcom-developed shmups out there.

The 194X series (1942, 1943, 1941: Counterattack, 19XX, etc)
Varth: Operation Thunderstorm
Forgotten Worlds
Exed Exes
Last Duel
Legendary Wings
Section Z
Side Arms
Vulgus
and the already mentioned Eco Fighters.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to criticize a product or not?
I simply stated my opinion regarding cash stealing projects based on this "retro" popularity wave.

I am sorry if he felt offended, it is my opinion.

You called it a repro which has become a cute euphemism for bootleg in the retro community. It's not, it's an officially licensed product.

I hate the repro thing or specifically how accepted they have become despite the obvious IP theft and fans translators having their hard work stolen but legitimate reprints by the legal rights holders are completely different and are to be commended.

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
There are still plenty of Capcom-developed shmups out there.

The 194X series (1942, 1943, 1941: Counterattack, 19XX, etc)
Forgotten Worlds
Exed Exes
Last Duel
Legendary Wings
Section Z
Side Arms
Vulgus
and the already mentioned Eco Fighters.
True, but most of these are already available in the Capcom Arcade Cabinet, thus aren't nearly as interesting to me as a complete CPS-2 shmup collection.

And the beat'em up collection is all CPS-2, so I'm dreaming big.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went ahead and ordered the physical version of Rolling Gunner. Anyone else in the states order it too?

I'll also buy it again when it is released on STEAM. I just wanted to play it now. So far it looks like the best new shmup of 2018, so I couldn't help myself.
I got my copy a little over a week ago and it's good. Really weird installing and patching a physical PC game in 2018 though, lol.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
figma/FREEing's Thunder Force III/IV FIRE LEO-03"STYX" / FIRE LEO-04"RYNEX" up on J-Amazon

LCIZub8.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.jp/サンダーフォースIII-サンダーフォースIV-LEO-03“STYX-LEO-04“RYNEX-塗装済み可動フィギュア/dp/B07HH9F11H/

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I've been pretty busy so I'm gonna try to finish up an OT for ZeroRanger and have it up this afternoon.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Today is SHMUP release day, huh?

Solid Aether
dropped too, it also looks neat:

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Y'all really should be playing ZeroRanger, it's seriously impressive.

How's this for a Capcom arcade shmup bundle:
Side Arms
Gun.Smoke
U.N. Squadron
Eco Fighters
Giga Wing
Mars Matrix
Progear

...I would buy 3 copies. At least.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up ZeroRanger and Solid Aether, 10 coins or less ... there's really not much to think about.

I just cleared Solid Aether. IT IS FRESH and very pure. The soundtrack is amazing. The final boss and its music gave me dopamine induced goosebumps. Delightful stuff!

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does anyone know if Battle Garegga and Dangan Feveron are gonna be released on the EU playstation store?

Edited: also the EDF wing diver shooter

Last edited:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
ZeroRanger is awesome too, mega fun and super polished. Game got tate, horizontal and vertical scanline options!

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I should really plug these guys more often. I don't know of a better resource of shmup goodness on youtube. Just noticed they dropped a Zanac episode, which is cool. Don't see a ton of the 8-bit shmups under a microscope.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I love STG Weekly. They've got enough episodes under their belt now that you can pretty frequently find a video on whatever shmup you're currently into.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
I should really plug these guys more often. I don't know of a better resource of shmup goodness on youtube. Just noticed they dropped a Zanac episode, which is cool. Don't see a ton of the 8-bit shmups under a microscope.

Oh thanks for posting that! I found these guys, and really found them refreshing and earnest, when I was looking into Star Force a few weeks ago....

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all really should be playing ZeroRanger, it's seriously impressive.

How's this for a Capcom arcade shmup bundle:
Side Arms
Gun.Smoke
U.N. Squadron
Eco Fighters
Giga Wing
Mars Matrix
Progear

...I would buy 3 copies. At least.
I'd buy 10. Hopefully that'd help fund a volume 2 with Forgotten Worlds, Varth, Dimahoo, 1944 The Loop Master and 19XX.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
That's almost $100. I wonder how big it is.... I remember similar ships from a few years back, I think from R-Type, but those were super cheap in comparison.
It's a double pack and it's figma, the pricing is in line with their other fan goods. The product descriptions says: "Overall length: about 120 mm each". Here are the prototypes on a 225x150mm cutting mat.

UHO8eal.jpg

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm super happy that ZeroRanger turned out so swell and that people are loving it. It's really a fantastic game.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw on Play-Asia that a Psikyo Volume 2 collection was up for preorder. Are there any other shmup collections coming out for Switch that you all know about but I'm still unaware of? The only other one I can think of is the Darius collection, but I'm not paying the $100+ or whatever it is to get the "full" collection of games in that one.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A note for anyone interested: ZeroRanger works on Linux through Steam Play, and it really is as amazing as people in this thread are saying.

Only thing which kind of doesn't work is the first time you enable TATE mode it has troubles going back to fullscreen. Restarting the game fixes that for good.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Just dropped $70 on that degica sale. Living that big shmup life. Couple other things I'd like to grab, but gotta cut it off somewhere.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Just dropped $70 on that degica sale. Living that big shmup life. Couple other things I'd like to grab, but gotta cut it off somewhere.
I still remember importing single games from Japan for 100+ coins ... just a couple of years ago. Strange and wonderful times we live in.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I have most of their shmups already but I'll probably get Shikigami finally. I'm really not a bullet hell fan and there's only a few I really like but I feel obligated to try Shikigami given its legacy.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
These goddamned youths have no idea how good they've got it.

e7dBfAK.png

LOL

I have several Cave kits that I had in my cab within a day or two of HEY and the other Japan arcades putting them on location. I'd see people complaining about paying Steam prices, or Xbox 360 prices for those games and literally laugh out loud.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Which would you all say are the top 3 of the Degica shmups? I don't want to spend too much, but I think grabbing 3 of them would be fine.

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Which would you all say are the top 3 of the Degica shmups? I don't want to spend too much, but I think grabbing 3 of them would be fine.
Ooooh this is tough....

Crimzon Clover*
Mushihimesama
Dariusburst CS
Eschatos

*is only $2 so it doesn't count as a full purchase.

BUT if you don't own ZeroRanger, you should buy it before any of the above.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Yeah, I'd say Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors and Eschatos are my two favorites. After that you're kinda limited to bullet hells. I'm of the unpopular opinion that Crimzon Clover is a hideous abomination so I'd say Dodonpachi Resurrection as the third game.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mushihimesama, imo, covers the most ground and is generally my go-to suggestion. It's gorgeous, the mechanics are prime traditional Cave, the Original mode in it is a great lower-difficulty (but still arcade-worthy) mode, and there's a good chunk of other modes to mess with. I'd put it over what I've played of ZeroRanger, and I'd definitely put it over Eschatos, but all four (five I guess) of the games that Radiant Silvertuna posted are great games.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Which would you all say are the top 3 of the Degica shmups?

If you're twisting my arm to just 3,

Mushihimesama, the 1.5 dlc is worth getting too, proximity scoring with rank, it's easier than normal to 1cc if you're hanging back and playing for survival, and it's so much fun to play aggressively. I always seem to end up playing this mode eventually whenever I load the game up.

Deathsmiles

Eschatos

but once you'd untwisted my arm, I'd be giving it all "Crimzon Clover is only a quid, Judgement Silverlegs is worth 15 quid, never mind 3, and Daifukkatsu is half price!"

Last edited:

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
if you don't own ZeroRanger, you should buy it before any of the above.

I think Blue Revolver was far more deserving of the knicker-wetting this has been getting from the old guard.
I'm enjoying ZeroRanger but also finding it a bit dry and boring. I reckon a couple of extra scoring mechanics would have made replaying the levels a lot more interesting.

Amazing art style and I love the restless nature of the stage design, but I feel like it could be a lot more fun to play.