• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alandrus Sun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So OP is fine with humans being homeless, but pets is a step too far?

nail+hammer.jpg

Good post. I'm amazed this is even a debate.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I volunteered at an animal rescue for a long time. There's plenty of rich people with big homes that don't take good care of their pets.

If a homeless person can care for their pet I don't see why not.

The-Trusty-Paws-Clinic.jpg

the answer is yes, please people have a heart. this is not an easy world.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather stray dogs end up with homeless people than try to survive on their own, or get sent to a kill shelter.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
a majority that are picked up end up either euthanized or living in a no-kill until they die

an even greater majority never end up getting picked up and are just strays
I think, think, they meant the opposite, like how likely is it if they weren't with that homeless person they would be better off. I would say slim to none.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I think, think, they meant the opposite, like how likely is it if they weren't with that homeless person they would be better off. I would say slim to none.
in that scenario id say its beneficial to both the homeless person and the stray

the person might lose out on a bit of food, but gains some companionship/comfort, while the stray gains a source of food

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Watch this video and tell me those dogs would be better off without their homeless "owner".

Most of the points have been made but homeless people usually have homeless dogs and once a dog isn't a puppy anymore, it's very hard for them to be properly adopted. So either the dog is homeless and alone or sent to a shelter where it might get killed if not for a homeless person taking care of them.

I fucking love dogs

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
in that scenario id say its beneficial to both the homeless person and the stray

the person might lose out on a bit of food, but gains some companionship/comfort, while the stray gains a source of food
I agree. The only thing that I would argue is a possibility is that a dog might not be a stray but a lost pet. The owners could be looking for the animal. But if their is no collar or tag, I just can't see the problem with it.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Watch this video and tell me those dogs would be better off without their homeless "owner".

Most of the points have been made but homeless people usually have homeless dogs and once a dog isn't a puppy anymore, it's very hard for them to be properly adopted. So either the dog is homeless and alone or sent to a shelter where it might get killed if not for a homeless person taking care of them.

I fucking love dogs

Woah, I named by dog Bailey after the drink as well. Funny.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I am always amazed how people can not identify with animals, but then , most people can't even identify with a homeless person.

or a woman, or a gay person, or a passives, or a foreigner, or a vegetarian, or a child so wtf do I know

Starlight Glimmer

User banned for use of an alt account.
Banned
Dec 30, 2017
No, of course not.

But are you going to be telling the homeless what to do or try to take away their pets?

It's up to people to properly take care of their pets, get them neutered and not abandon them.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Homeless people really take care of their dogs as much as they can. Taking that away from them is basically saying they don't deserve to loved because they don't have a home.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I agree. The only thing that I would argue is a possibility is that a dog might not be a stray but a lost pet. The owners could be looking for the animal. But if their is no collar or tag, I just can't see the problem with it.
Some branches of the Humane Society (usually in bigger cities) will try and check strays that live with the homeless for identification or an implanted chip, but most of the time a lost pet just becomes a stray or finds a new home. Not all pets are Homeward Bound pets, sadly.

Transhuman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's only a problem if you have a solution OP. And if your solution is demonisation of the homeless community followed by animal control and euthanasia, just say that.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh from the small time I spent in Norcal the general view on the homeless on the little I've seen grosses me out. This thread is vexing me.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I eat cows bred for mass slaughter every day, but God damned homeless folks don't deserve a pet where both parties can benefit from the companionship.

Like, unless you're vegan you shouldn't even be weighing in on this topic if you've got a negative opinion.

OP given how I've seen strays murdered/killed they're better off with a companion. Whether said companion is homeless or not. They both benefit and can protect each other. Homeless people aren't getting puppies or breeding them. They're getting animals that were abanodned or stray. It's a win win situation for both the person and the animal.

This post is super on point. If you have issues with how people treat animals then maybe look into serious issues such as eliminating the breeding of teacup puppies.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
Going by how the media and others react to homeless people with pets I might think there is an argument to be made for the perception being negative. You see this stories of how pets help homeless people and instead of the story focusing on what really matters like actually solving system issues that cause homelessness, lack of public housing etc they focus on how they feel so good because of a dog. Reminds me of the "man walks 20 miles to work every morning" stories. Fuck that shit. We need to help these people not worship them.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading a survey of the wants of homeless people from a journalist who studies the needs of the homeless, and right up the top was companionship. Humans treat the homeless miserably, and many would kill for an honest conversation and an ear to hear their problems. We are social animals, yet we don't socialize with the homeless. That contributes to poor mental health.

When I am feeling very lonely, one of the things that cheers me up is talking to my dog. Watching his ears perk up and head cock as he tries to comprehend what I'm saying. I am someone with family and friends and lots of forms of communication. Can you imagine if that dog was the only ear you had in the world? How cruel would it be to deny someone who has nothing even that??

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
When I am feeling very lonely, one of the things that cheers me up is talking to my dog. Watching his ears perk up and head cock as he tries to comprehend what I'm saying. I am someone with family and friends and lots of forms of communication. Can you imagine if that dog was the only ear you had in the world? How cruel would it be to deny someone who has nothing even that??

Not only this, but the dog is absolutely smitten with you as well. Its a symbiotic relationship. Could it be more ideal, of course. Is it required? no.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think its companionship. The animals never look underfed (the ones I see) and I think they are well loved. You gotta feel bad for the homeless person more than the animal. That's how I feel anyhow.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew that some people in ERA/GAF were heartless but Jesus Christ. Taking apart two living beings that helped each other survive for maybe years? Because of some "moral" compass that can't consider what will actually happen to both of them when they aren't together anymore. I'm kinda done with off-topic for this week.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
People feeling more guilt about a dog without a home than a homeless person, always the way.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Science has proven it, too.

More and more we're convinced that dogs feel the emotions we'd call love and reciprocate just as we do. It's the most special bond to another species that humans share.
no doubt. I have 2 dogs that greet me in the morning, on an off (random) occasion, and when I come home. Its not about getting fed. It is love, just like giving your love one a random kiss.

As far as I am concerned, many animals have souls (by which I mean the intangible self realization and greater awareness of being) just as we do. I think the soul is grown, as is the intellect, it is not a given, it is not a right or a promise, but instead the awakening of something greater, a step up from sentience - which has scientifically been proven.

I think this happens in both 'animals' and humans (also animals).

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
It's not like homeless people are going to the shelter and filling out adoption papers. I figure most homeless people with a dog either had the dog before they lost their home or it's a stray that started hanging with them.

Homeless with a dog probably get more handouts from people on the street.

It seems like many homeless actually take very good care of dogs and feed them before themselves.

but yes I guess there are some situations where it wouldn't be good... if a dog needs medical care there's almost no way they could pay for it.

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know if the pet is properly taken care of? You'd have to get off that high horse and actually get to know somebody in that situation, but that'd be too much work, huh.

There is no way these pets are getting proper nutrition, routine exams, parasite prevention, vaccines, spay/neuter and dental care.

Yea because there's so much people willing to adopt dogs. Animal shelters across the globe are practically empty.

There are plenty of rescue organizations and no kill shelters, I know because I work with them everyday. Want to know a big reason why they are so full? Because people aren't spaying or neutering their pets as they should.

This has to be troll bait, right?

Troll bait? What do you do for animals everyday?

Wow......

You have a heart of gold. The world needs more people with your train of thought

I care about pets getting proper health care, that is my business.

Maybe, but I'm not going to make excuses like some here. I care about pets getting proper healthcare. A vast majority of homeless pets I have interacted with volunteering, do not get proper healthcare.

Hey, guess what, you don't know how shit works.

Really? I manage a very successful small animal clinic in the Bay Area. What do you do?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no doubt. I have 2 dogs that greet me in the morning, on an off (random) occasion, and when I come home. Its not about getting fed. It is love, just like giving your love one a random kiss.

As far as I am concerned, many animals have souls (by which I mean the intangible self realization and greater awareness of being) just as we do. I think the soul is grown, as is the intellect, it is not a given, it is not a right or a promise, but instead the awakening of something greater, a step up from sentience - which has scientifically been proven.

I think this happens in both 'animals' and humans (also animals).

I've had times where I've had tears rolling down my face, only for my dog to hop up on my lap (which he doesn't usually do) and lick me on the cheeks (which he almost never does) then press his head against my chest. Dogs can read humans better than non-dog owners realize. Likewise, when my dog is scared from lightning, he'll run to me and want me to hold him tight (something he normally doesn't allow) for comfort.

There are obvious signs that there is more than just a feeding relationship going on. You have to be kind of blind to miss these social cues.

And again, I feel it's extremely cruel to deny homeless people this, especially when taking a dog from a homeless person will do nothing to curb the stray dog population. Dogs leashed by homeless people aren't really strays anyways. They are usually under more supervision than the average dog, and as result tend to be trained pretty well (since, in my experience, the more you're around your dog, the more naturally they are trained).

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew that some people in ERA/GAF were heartless but Jesus Christ. Taking apart two living beings that helped each other survive for maybe years? Because of some "moral" compass that can't consider what will actually happen to both of them when they aren't together anymore. I'm kinda done with off-topic for this week.
Responses like this confuse me. The majority of the people in this thread are for homeless people having pets.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
There are plenty of rescue organizations and no kill shelters, I know because I work with them everyday. Want to know a big reason why they are so full? Because people aren't spaying or neutering their pets as they should.
Are they super widely available everywhere?

But people won't cause that's a whole other different battle so I guess those dogs will continue to stay in no kill shelters if they're lucky, but hey that's better than a homeless person caring or loving dogs right?

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You don't ever look like the good guy taking a homeless person's pet. It's not like homeless people go to the shelter to get a pet after they become homeless.

30yearsofhurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect those pets are happier than ones locked up in an apartment or back yard while their 'owner' goes off to work.