• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Nobody talks about dreams either. The "limited" early access is still up for sale. Fanbase don't give a fuck it is what is. On to the next AAA cinematic adventure

MM probably realize that the more people who buy it in early access, then the more content there will be at launch.

Nah, I don't think so. Fans expect new IPs from Sony. And they will get them. Just build a new universe (lore) around your FPS. Some cool looking, interesting characters. And then, of course, make the multiplayer fun. Well we have to wait and see. But if they are going to make a new FPS, I bet it's gonna be a new IP. I hope so at least :P

We have gotten lots of new IPs from Sony's studios this gen and none of them have been FPS games. I don't think they are in a rush for a new FPS franchise for multiplayer either, I think that'll be explored with third person shooters/action games on PS5.

Publishers in general just aren't pursuing that market since Destiny, Call of Duty, Battlefield (maybe a couple of others I'm blanking on) dominate it with frequent releases and expansions.

So it would be a huge commitment to invest in a new FPS game especially with next gen standards. But a new Killzone with similar scale and structure of the PS3 games would be a great PSVR2 seller while not breaking the budget.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have gotten lots of new IPs from Sony's studios this gen and none of them have been FPS games. I don't think they are in a rush for a new FPS franchise for multiplayer either, I think that'll be explored with third person shooters/action games on PS5.

Publishers in general just aren't pursuing that market since Destiny, Call of Duty, Battlefield (maybe a couple of others I'm blanking on) dominate it with frequent releases and expansions.

So it would be a huge commitment to invest in a new FPS game especially with next gen standards. But a new Killzone with similar scale and structure of the PS3 games would be a great PSVR2 seller while not breaking the budget.
Yep we will get some 3rd person multiplayer games from Arrowhead and Naughty Dog. I just meant IF Sony wants to make a new FPS (for whatever reason) I expect it to be a new IP :)

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody talks about dreams either. The "limited" early access is still up for sale. Fanbase don't give a fuck it is what is. On to the next AAA cinematic adventure

That's the thing, people don't care about smaller games unless they are AAA, and this happens for pretty much every publisher, not only Sony.
It is going to be interesting to see if Sony will continue to fund AA games on PS5 (other than VR specific titles)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I love you black 😌

Even though I never played it, I have doubts on that just by looking at it.
2a577f0e230af9797db5b22065e82fb7.gif

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
looking at the discussion in the last few pages:
i have to side with Primethius on this topic.
concrete genie could have absolutely been marketed better, without spending a shit ton of money on it either, like for example, use the state of play they had already been massively hyping up thanks for TLOU2, to sell your game that is coming out 2 weeks after with a launch trailer? maybe have a demo like medievil did? like i think medievil is actually getting decent marketing, and did those 2 things i just mentioned to keep it in the picture.
a game being for a niche audience does not justify opening at #35 while also launching on a tuesday.

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
looking at the discussion in the last few pages:
i have to side with Primethius on this topic.
concrete genie could have absolutely been marketed better, without spending a shit ton of money on it either, like for example, use the state of play they had already been massively hyping up thanks for TLOU2, to sell your game that is coming out 2 weeks after with a launch trailer? maybe have a demo like medievil did? like i think medievil is actually getting decent marketing, and did those 2 things i just mentioned to keep it in the picture.
a game being for a niche audience does not justify opening at #35 while also launching on a tuesday.

Concrete Genie has been marketed somewhat good IMHO: two State of Play, PGW announcement, Gameinformer preview with cover...
MediEvil is a known quantity and it has "nostalgia" value, it's totally different story; problem is that Sony fanbase is rotten to the core and I don't know how things could change when it comes to smaller exclusive games :/

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Concrete Genie has been marketed somewhat good IMHO: two State of Play, PGW announcement, Gameinformer preview with cover...
MediEvil is a known quantity and it has "nostalgia" value, it's totally different story; problem is that Sony fanbase is rotten to the core and I don't know how things could change when it comes to smaller exclusive games :/
it wasnt marketed good close to launch, that is the issue.
people will forget about a smaller title if it only showed up in events 6 months ago.

Oct 25, 2017

While I don't really believe the bolded, I think it's also good to point out that games don't necessarily have to be made for the Sony core. The Sony core is already eating between all the triple A, highly reviewed narrative focused adventure games.

And Sony has attempted to, in the past with things like PlayLink and even now with VR, branch out to different audiences.

Games like CG don't have to be for the core itself. There's a wide variety of gamers out there who aren't necessarily appealed to with the games that get made these days. Part of the reason why some indie titles, Nintendo titles, and even master pieces like Shadow of the Collosus or The Last Guardian take off and sell way more than they should is because they are: high quality and often serve segments of gaming that aren't actively addressed by mainstream AAA titles (not everyone is into shoot bang).

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I keep saying this but whatever. Sony's fanbase doesn't give 2 shits about small games, for better or worse that's the fanbase they've built. Even my man Sir Dan will struggle.
Journey was a huge success tho. The problem lies with the small games Sony funds. Like who the hell expected a game about painting to be huge? or a remake from a PS1 that wasn't popular to begin with (and now has a gameplay that aged like shit) to light the chart on fire? Sony can make small games while still being successful.

They need however to cater to what their fanbase wants: game with emphasis on narrative (preferably with a serious tone) and traditional combat. Now that wouldn't guarantee a success, but at least it'll have a chance better than a game about painting walls. HOWEVER, I don't think it's Sony's intention for their smaller games to be a replica of their big games just with a smaller budget, they want to experiment and do something new even if their games end up being niche and they're fine with that.

Oct 26, 2017
Journey was a huge success tho. The problem lies with the small games Sony funds. Like who the hell expected a game about painting to be huge? or a remake from a PS1 that wasn't popular to begin with (and now has a gameplay that aged like shit) to light the chart on fire? Sony can make small games while still being successful.

They need however to cater to what their fanbase wants: game with emphasis on narrative (preferably with a serious tone) and traditional combat. Now that wouldn't guarantee a success, but at least it'll have a chance better than a game about painting walls. HOWEVER, I don't think it's Sony's intention for their smaller games to be a replica of their big games just with a smaller budget, they want to experiment and do something new even if their games end up being niche and they're fine with that.

Journey came out in a different market tho.
I can assure that a game like Journey or Flower or Flow released in 2019 won't be as successful as the original release on PS3, the market has changed, when people think about Sony now they see "AAA blockbusters" and they ignore the small titles, Concrete Genie is not the first title and won't be the last, that's why i'm interested to see if Sony will continue to fund small-AA games during the PS5 days.

Like who the hell expected a game about painting to be huge?

Well, Splatoon and Splatoon 2 :D

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Journey came out in a different market tho.
I can assure that a game like Journey or Flower or Flow released in 2019 won't be as successful as the original release on PS3, the market has changed, when people think about Sony now they see "AAA blockbusters" and they ignore the small titles, Concrete Genie is not the first title and won't be the last.
Flow and Flower were not big to begin with. Journey wouldn't be a big success in 2019 because it'd lack the novelty part not because the game lacks what it needs to be successful today. The indie scene is now bigger than ever and I can't see a reason why Journey wouldn't be as huge as it was back in 2013 (their latest games still got a lot of people excited but they fucked it up with the IOS exclusivity deal).

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
The UK charts have become relatively useless given that its one of the regions where digital sales have gone through the roof and those aren't included in the results. It's why you always have these dramatic headlines, like Borderlands 3 selling less than half of Borderlands 2.
It's almost 2020 and people are still using uk charts as some type of actual reciept. Every game on that chart even the #1's look like they flopped. Did you all not learn after God of War.....

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
This doesn't happen with Nintendo
I don't think that's true, and it doesn't really matter how many times is repeated. Certainly, no data backs such beliefs. The gulf between their most commercial titles and the rest is as large (or larger) as it is for SIE productions.

There are multiple games since the release of their latest system moving between 1-2 million units sold or less, franchises with a long history and lots of media presence and marketing visibility. No audience cares about every single game, whether it is PlayStation or a different brand.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
it wasnt marketed good close to launch, that is the issue.
people will forget about a smaller title if it only showed up in events 6 months ago.

The previews for the game was 3 months ago .
Truth is if you have interest in game you not going to forget it in 3 months .
Plus the game was unique with it's painting aspect and also having a VR mode.
All you can say is Sony look at certain data and though it was not worth it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The previews for the game was 3 months ago .
Truth is if you have interest in game you not going to forget it in 3 months .
Plus the game was unique with it's painting aspect and also having a VR mode.
All you can say is Sony look at certain data and though it was not worth it.
most likely those that read the previews were already interested in the game, i am talking about expanding the game to more audience closer to launch using their state of play stream, it would have gave the game great exposure close to launch.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Problem isn't marketing it's the game. Most of the successful smaller Sony games were sold by word of mouth. No one's talking about how great CG is. Demon's Souls, SotC, Journey all got tons of word of mouth because people really enjoyed them. I love small unique games but I can't think of one gamer friend I would recommend this to besides platinum chasers when the game is cheap or a PS+ game.

If you think it deserves it's time to shine convince people it's worth the time and investment. Because imo this isn't the hidden PlayStation gem some people want it to be. Don't get me wrong I think Pixelopus shows great potential but is the game great? No. Is it terrible? No.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
most likely those that read the previews were already interested in the game, i am talking about expanding the game to more audience closer to launch using their state of play stream, it would have gave the game great exposure close to launch.

There comes a point where more exposure not going to help or matter .
Lets look at it this way the preview thread on this hardcore forum was less than 1 page .
Plus this last SOP TLOU2 eat up everything ,that is all people were talking about for the whole week also thanks to it's previews .
Would seeing a CG trailer even matter when all the talk was TLOU2.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
I would've also liked a bit more push from Sony for Concrete Genie, a week to maybe a few days before. That being said, this thread made me purchase the game and preorder the hardcover edition of The Art of Concrete Genie. If only Playstation's social media would have pushed it as much as some folk did in this very thread... I know it's not a game for everybody, but I do think it's launch passed almost everyone by (if not for this place, I most likely would've thought this game didn't release yet)

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I would've also liked a bit more push from Sony for Concrete Genie, a week to maybe a few days before. That being said, this thread made me purchase the game and preorder the hardcover edition of The Art of Concrete Genie. If only Playstation's social media would have pushed it as much as some folk did in this very thread... I know it's not a game for everybody, but I do think it's launch passed almost everyone by (if not for this place, I most likely would've thought this game didn't release yet)
Eh they did push it on social media.

They even had this

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I think it's very likely that the next game from GG will not be a sequel to Horizon. They probably have a team doing something else while the main one is working on some upgrades on Decima for the PS5.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Eh they did push it on social media.

They even had this

Hmmm... strange I haven't seen these, something must've happened along the way. Maybe it got lost between The Last of Us Part II and PS5 news. The most publicity I've seen for it was honestly here (where I also became jealous of the nice edition of the game the other SIE studios got).
I'm also wondering regarding the UK best selling chart... isn't this the kind of game that has it's vast majority of sales in digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.