• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain movement to me? It sounds incredibly cumbersome and tedious. Is there a way to free move like in Residenf Evil?

DS4 = use it like normal.

Move = You can use teleport or free movement. With free movement you hold the left move button and tilt the controller in the way you want, only needs subtle movements and works exactly like a left analog stick once accustomed to it. the X and O button on the right move control turning. The only things that can be cumbersome are if you aren't used to the Move button layout as you will need to think about it a bit, but once use to it it is fine. Also, you need to be aware of what is in your left hand, I personally haven't found it to be an issue with the different styles I have played but YMMV and the added ability to control your actions makes the Skyrim combat go from piss poor to pretty damn great.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
DS4 = use it like normal.

Move = You can use teleport or free movement. With free movement you hold the left move button and tilt the controller in the way you want, only needs subtle movements and works exactly like a left analog stick once accustomed to it. the X and O button on the right move control turning. The only things that can be cumbersome are if you aren't used to the Move button layout as you will need to think about it a bit, but once use to it it is fine. Also, you need to be aware of what is in your left hand, I personally haven't found it to be an issue with the different styles I have played but YMMV and the added ability to control your actions makes the Skyrim combat go from piss poor to pretty damn great.

Awesome explanation. I appreciate all the help and I'll definitely be picking this up for the 100th time based on the recommendations here.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason my weapons keep randomly equipping/unequipping. Playing with moves, no shield.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Spent maybe 6 hours in the game by now, 2 on release day and 4 yesterday. It definitely took some time to get used to the move controls but yesterday it clicked and with smooth turning on the way it will patch the one thing I still missing from that control method.

I have never played Skyrim before and man it does live up to the expectations I had. The world feels so massive, the villages and keeps are really impressive. Being in these caves, tombs and castles is nothing short of amazing. This is definitely a game that grows on you, at first the hit the graphics took in order to work with VR seems a bit jarring. But once you are in that world for a while it doesn't matter any more as the immersion is making more than up for it.

Only the sound not being binaural is kind of a bummer. No sound bug or anything but when you know how precise the sound in VR can be it's a bit of a letdown.

PCVR owners will be in for a treat, as I guess it will look quite a bit better on a good PC. But for now I'm really happy with this.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably make the decision based on how much portability you want from it. PSVR has tons of other great experiences as well.
I dont think that is the right question really ,you ether want to experience he game in VR or do you want a portable version of it.

Because they 2 completely different versions.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How good is PSVR for glasses? I wear contacts but recently have been preferring glasses.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I'm considering this, but I've read you cannot control your movement speed with the move controllers... I think that would drive me crazy. Idk.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Move controllers have two movement speeds, walk and run.
Yeah, but in 99% of games walk speed is too fast (imo) and detection while sneaking in Skyrim is heavily based on movement speed.

Idk, I just think it'll bother me. They should make a device for VR locomotion that you slide your foot into. Like a peddle combined with an analog. lol

Jack

Oct 25, 2017
But if motion sickness yesterday after an hour but I haven't touched VR in about 2 months due to lack of time for gaming, in general. Nothing bad but I have to get used to it again.

Also, I'm 6'3" irl and the ground is about knee height for me - really throws me off.

Other than that - WOW. Playing with 2 move controllers is great. Movement takes a tad bit to get used to but actions in game are really precise and well done. Sense of scale is crazy. Graphics are a lot better than I expected and don't bother me at all.

Today I'm going to start an almost pure mage character since I've never played one before. I've always gone stealth with bow or warrior style 2 handers for the big hits.

Aside from my losing a bit of VR stomach from being out of it for a while and no option to set the floor (at least from what I'm seeing), it's such a great experience in VR. I'm impressed. It's not perfect (we can really use some better peripherals for VR) but it's a must-buy, IMO.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm 6'3" irl and the ground is about knee height for me - really throws me off.

This is a setting I want for all VR games. Even with those that do automatic calibration don't really get it quite right. Driveclub and Dirt Rally give you the option and makes a big difference in how you feel inside the vehicles and would be really nice to have this feature in games where you stand up, it's so odd looking down and the world is where you expect your knees to be. Thankfully there are very few games that you are required to look down but it is another step in ensuring immersion is maintained.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, but in 99% of games walk speed is too fast (imo) and detection while sneaking in Skyrim is heavily based on movement speed.

Idk, I just think it'll bother me. They should make a device for VR locomotion that you slide your foot into. Like a peddle combined with an analog. lol

If you hold the left move controller vertically and hold down the walk button, you don't even move. Leaning it slightly forward moves you slowly. Learn to use the left move like an analog stick instead of toggling the button on and off to move forward and you'll get more subtle control.

Jack

Oct 25, 2017
This is a setting I want for all VR games. Even with those that do automatic calibration don't really get it quite right. Driveclub and Dirt Rally give you the option and makes a big difference in how you feel inside the vehicles and would be really nice to have this feature in games where you stand up, it's so odd looking down and the world is where you expect your knees to be. Thankfully there are very few games that you are required to look down but it is another step in ensuring immersion is maintained.
True this. Batman does it, Job Sim and a few others - really helps you get on the grid. It's definitely needed as without it throws me off something huge hahaha.

Sitting games are great, though. Rush of Blood, RIGS, Battlezone all feel great. Man I need to hop some more in BZ and blast some tanks. So good.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Debating if I should get the moves for this, is it really a gamechanger? Are there any other current and upcoming games that would make good use of those sticks?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
If you hold the left move controller vertically and hold down the walk button, you don't even move. Leaning it slightly forward moves you slowly. Learn to use the left move like an analog stick instead of toggling the button on and off to move forward and you'll get more subtle control.

Are you sure about this? I've tried doing this and the forward walk speed doesn't change.

Are you sure you aren't holding a shield and when holding "up" on the move it goes into block mode which makes you walk slower?

cjp

Oct 29, 2017
So seeing as Skyrim doesn't have binaural/3D audio do I actually need to be wearing headphones or can I get away with using my surround sound?

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I AM SO TORN. On one hand I want to play the enhanced version with mods, but on the other, this is a whole other experience. Doesn't help that Skyrim is one of my all time favorites.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
So wow, after 11 years of being on YouTube my first ever "strike" against my account has finally come.

What sort of violation was it that caused this to happen, you ask? Two super-short off-screen recordings of me in Skyrim VR. The first, I'm simply listening to a random dude singing and dancing along with the Move controllers. The second, I have switched to my "hands" and try to wave at him, but it registers as a "punch" and thus we end up in combat.

Both were not public or monetized. WTF YouTube xD

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh man... Being a werewolf in VR with move wands is amazing!

Run up to a guy, hold the trigger and slash him for a power attack with your claws and he goes flying. Then you run over to where he fell and before he can get up again you just go nuts slashing and ripping at him until he dies. Then you press the move button to eat his guts.

So fun. Haha.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Some caves don't work that well in be. Areas are too small but you do get some jump scares. Lol

Oct 27, 2017
This! I hope Bethesda addresses this in the next patch.

Yeah, at the very least just an option to push it out away from your character a bit so you don't have to look directly down at the floor when playing. It's even worse when sitting and playing (my chin is literally touching my chest and I'm still struggling to see it at times).

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So wow, after 11 years of being on YouTube my first ever "strike" against my account has finally come.

What sort of violation was it that caused this to happen, you ask? Two super-short off-screen recordings of me in Skyrim VR. The first, I'm simply listening to a random dude singing and dancing along with the Move controllers. The second, I have switched to my "hands" and try to wave at him, but it registers as a "punch" and thus we end up in combat.

Both were not public or monetized. WTF YouTube xD

I seriously doubt punching a character in the game caused a strike.

Possibly the song may have been licensed though but that also sounds highly unlikely, if I had to guess I'd say it's probably due to another video.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I think I need to stop myself earlier when I start feeling a headache set in. Made the mistake of trying to power through it and I feel a lot worse now, lol. Got through the first section of bleak falls barrow tho

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
How good is PSVR for glasses? I wear contacts but recently have been preferring glasses.

It's comfortable, but you risk scratching both your PSVR lens and your glasses because there is nothing to stop the two of them from coming into contact normally.

A member from old site sold spacers on eBay that you could put in to prevent your glasses from coming into contact with the lens. Until I bought those, I had a DIY solution of using small styrofoam rectangles that I taped to the left and right of the lenses to block glasses in a similar way. If you're considering playing with glasses or might have a friend or family member do so, I would highly recommend figuring out a solution beforehand.

IMO it's the one major design flaw with the PSVR. I don't know if the new headset version with HDR pass through did anything to resolve it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I think I need to stop myself earlier when I start feeling a headache set in. Made the mistake of trying to power through it and I feel a lot worse now, lol. Got through the first section of bleak falls barrow tho

Oh yeah, if you feel even slightly dizzy, sick or woozy it's best to stop and take a break.

Trying to power through will cause you to feel sicker for longer even into the following day sometimes.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Oh. Thank you for this. Really appreciate you explaining -- haven't seen that anywhere else.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Are you sure about this? I've tried doing this and the forward walk speed doesn't change.

Are you sure you aren't holding a shield and when holding "up" on the move it goes into block mode which makes you walk slower?
Oh. Thank you for this. Really appreciate you explaining -- haven't seen that anywhere else.

Hmm. Maybe I'm misremembering. I'm pretty sure I was able to dart in and out of combat by using the move as an analog controller and dodging enemy swings by going backward using that same method before I had a shield. But I only spent about an hour playing before I started getting sick so like I said, I might be misremembering.

Edit - Now that I think about it more, maybe the walking was one speed forward or backward depending on which direction I had the wand. I was darting forward and backward in combat to avoid sword swings.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I seriously doubt punching a character in the game caused a strike.

Possibly the song may have been licensed though but that also sounds highly unlikely, if I had to guess I'd say it's probably due to another video.
Nope, the strike had me acknowledge those two videos specifically, and I've appealed both. I asked for clarification and mentioned I don't even care of the clips are reinstated as I seriously uploaded them privately to play on a TV for my mom and sister to see what I was goofing around with in Skyrim.

There were two other videos, neither of which got flagged, which involve my "caressing" someone's face with the Move controllers, and then placing a basket and cauldron on the head of the people at the shop in the first small town.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Damn... it is possible someone flagged the videos for some reason, there's very little you can do about it though.
The video was not public. At all. I uploaded it about 12 hrs ago then used my phone to launch it on the youtube app on my sister's PS4.

I just think its hilarious. There is obviously far worse stuff on youtube than me watching someone sing, or engage in melee combat with them xD

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
So seeing as Skyrim doesn't have binaural/3D audio do I actually need to be wearing headphones or can I get away with using my surround sound?

You could, but you don't want to - because then you'll get the annoying inverted surround channels bug that they also never bothered fixing in the non-VR version on PS4.