• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering...what is the best way to play Parodius on Canoe?
European version with a NTSC patch or maybe the japanese one ? Are there any striking differences between versions like there are with games like Pop'n Twinbee RBA?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I totally missed that thread.

*edit*
No wonder, it was made before the SNESC was released.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
European version with a NTSC patch or maybe the japanese one ? Are there any striking differences between versions like there are with games like Pop'n Twinbee RBA?
I played Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius. Game worked great, though I'm terrible at it and didn't get very far. The audio is awful in SNES9x/Retroarch, but the game seemed fine in Canoe.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Japanese one. There's pretty much no Japanese text in the game.

As far as I know, the only pop'n Twinbee that's different is Rainbow Bell Adventures, all the others are the same.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
I played Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius. Game worked great, though I'm terrible at it and didn't get very far. The audio is awful in SNES9x/Retroarch, but the game seemed fine in Canoe.

Good to hear! The spreadsheet says that all three games on the SNES should work fine, hopefully that is the case.

Japanese one. There's pretty much no Japanese text in the game.

As far as I know, the only pop'n Twinbee that's different is Rainbow Bell Adventures, all the others are the same.

Oh, good to know that text wont be a problem, japanese version it is then.
And yeah, Rainbow Bell Adventure has many omissions in the PAL version, I wasn't sure about Parodius but good thing I wont have to worry about that now.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Set Preset ID to 1610 and add the command -no-lowlatency

That's robin's work, taking no credit.

Did I miss that news? I could have sworn that Robin or somebody said that Mana wasn't working perfectly yet. This is great news if so.

That would just leave Rudras, which I hope gets a fix soon.

Also, anyone playing Magical Pop'n by any chance? It's a really fun overlooked game, but the audio is slightly crackly. I was wondering if there was a fix for that as well.

munancho

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I'll keep my eye out for that stuff.

Have at ye:

Code:
=== Sound effect Hack ===

This module allows to disable NES/SNES Mini's sound effect or replace it with your own sound.

Just replace sound effect file if you want to hear your own sound effect in the menu of NES/SNES Mini. It must be in PCM format.

replace se_sys_blind_close.wav to blindclose.wav
replace se_sys_blind_open.wav to blindopen.wav
replace se_sys_cancel.wav to cancel.wav
replace se_sys_click_game.wav to clickgame.wav
replace se_sys_click_replay.wav to clickreplay.wav
replace se_sys_click.wav to click.wav
replace se_sys_cursor.wav to cursor.wav
replace se_sys_delete.wav to delete.wav
replace se_sys_lock.wav to lock.wav
replace se_sys_push.wav to push.wav
replace se_sys_smoke.wav to smoke.wav
replace se_sys_unlock.wav to unlock.wav

official sound effect file path
# NES Mini
usr/share/clover-ui/resources/sounds/hvc/
# SNES Mini (USA)
usr/share/ui/snes-usa/resources/sounds/hvc/
# SNES Mini (EUR)
usr/share/ui/snes-eur/resources/sounds/hvc/
# Super Famicom Mini (JAP)
usr/share/ui/shvc/resources/sounds/hvc/

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/bt6y5318t9it4t5/sound_hack.hmod.zip

Source: https://yyoossk.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/1.html

firstadopter

Oct 25, 2017
How is the emulation quality of the SNES Classic vs. the Hackchi2 and Retropie/Raspberry Pi Model 3 B running Retroarch? Thanks.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
hey, question about hacking a second snes mini for a friend without a PC:

when i plug in his system, and try to dump his kernel, hakchi seems to think it is still my system, indicating that i've already dumped my OG kernel. how do i get it to recognize that i'm using a different system here?

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States

when i plug in his system, and try to dump his kernel, hakchi seems to think it is still my system, indicating that i've already dumped my OG kernel. how do i get it to recognize that i'm using a different system here?
Install a new instance of hakchi into a different folder.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Woo! Just picked one up at Best Buy, excited to get some chrono trigger on this guy! I'll be sad to no longer need to use my old snes.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do the Parodius PAL games require NTSC too? Not seeing any NTSC hacks for any of the games.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I played Gokujou Parodius (SFC) because it's my favorite one, and it worked great

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
I did one for myself for Mystic Ark. I couldn't find a clean version of the original box art that would crop decently to fit a SNES style box, so I used the artwork from the soundtrack CD.

mysticarkboxg4sys.png

https://abload.de/img/mysticarkboxg4sys.png

And since I have Imgur open, here's my Lennus II (Paladin's Quest II) art, too, in case anyone wants it.

lennusiiboxzzs6m.png

https://abload.de/img/lennusiiboxzzs6m.png

I might want to redo that since after I saved it, it dawned on me that the purple arrow on the box was used to point at the company's logo below on many official third-party boxes.

Oh crap, I didn't know about that purple arrow thing haha! looks like I have some photoshoppery in the pipeline

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
How is the emulation quality of the SNES Classic vs. the Hackchi2 and Retropie/Raspberry Pi Model 3 B running Retroarch? Thanks.

It supports many less games, since it was never intended to be a universal emulator. Either some games won't run at all or have graphical glitches. However for the large amount of games it does run flawlessly, it wins in the most important category as far as I'm concerned: almost inexistant input lag.

Retroarch/Retropie have very noticeable input lag that totally kills my enjoyment of games on them, so it's a breath of fresh air to see such a responsive stock emulator in the SNES Classic. This is mostly why many people are striving to find ways to get broken games to run correctly on it. The lack of input lag is just priceless!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
So is there only a problem with the French version of the game?

I'm confused since I thought only NTSC roms worked.

Anyone tried to play Super Mario World rom hacks?
I assume it's the French version patched to NTSC. Apparently that's not enough? I don't know what the specific issue is that requires yet another patch to work in Canoe... PAL roms come in two distinct flavors: PAL optimized and non-optomized, which is like most of them. A PAL rom that was released in the EU non-optomized would run poorly on their TVs, but can be converted to NTSC without issue and run correctly on NTSC televisions (or so I understand). Meanwhile, a PAL-optomized rom would have had work done on it to run very well on their TVs, but would falter on ours.

Speaking of Soul Blazer, I'm currently playing through the game myself and noticed that the volcano section's graphics in the third world (Underwater Palace?) aren't 1:1 w/ real hardware: that section is supposed to be dimmed across the stage except for the circular light emitted by your spirit helper (provided you got the power-up) that protects you from the falling lava projectiles. Like so:

IWSbJ.png

Instead, the whole stage is lit up like the inside of the sphere. Still protects you from falling rocks, though. Just a mild curiosity. There may be more oddities later in the game.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I assume it's the French version patched to NTSC. Apparently that's not enough? I don't know what the specific issue is that requires yet another patch to work in Canoe... PAL roms come in two distinct flavors: PAL optimized and non-optomized, which is like most of them. A PAL rom that was released in the EU non-optomized would run poorly on their TVs, but can be converted to NTSC without issue and run correctly on NTSC televisions (or so I understand). Meanwhile, a PAL-optomized rom would have had work done on it to run very well on their TVs, but would falter on ours.

Speaking of Soul Blazer, I'm currently playing through the game myself and noticed that the volcano section's graphics in the third world (Underwater Palace?) aren't 1:1 w/ real hardware: that section is supposed to be dimmed across the stage except for the circular light emitted by your spirit helper (provided you got the power-up) that protects you from the falling lava projectiles. Like so:

IWSbJ.png

Instead, the whole stage is lit up like the inside of the sphere. Still protects you from falling rocks, though. Just a mild curiosity. There may be more oddities later in the game.

This is for the USA version?

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
So I kinda haven't touched my snes in a couple weeks. Work, life, etc. Does DQ3 translated still not work? I got to play through the first Dragon Quest pretty quickly. Was surprised I still remember most of it.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm playing the NA version.

Could you make a save file near that area? I'll ask someone if there are some preset IDs you can change the game to that might fix that, but you can't use save states otherwise it would load with the same issue.

So, save your game through normal means (and make a save state of that game save so it isn't overwritten if you keep playing).

Most Quintet games have issues with the SNESC.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

IWSbJ.png

There's a part on the second world where it's also supposed to be dim, except the light following your character. Did that area work fine on the SNESC or was it wrong?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Could you make a save file near that area? I'll ask someone if there are some preset IDs you can change the game to that might fix that, but you can't use save states otherwise it would load with the same issue.

So, save your game through normal means (and make a save state of that game save so it isn't overwritten if you keep playing).

Most Quintet games have issues with the SNESC.
Hm, guess I could. You might need to talk me through it though, I don't know how to go about extracting the sram from my SNESC. I haven't done any of the tweaking via FTP like some of y'all. Can it be done through Hakchi's save manager or is that just for save states? Guess I'll need to finally update my 2.0 to the latest version while I'm at it.

Also, "near that area" still requires you to walk several screens before reaching the volcano area from the save point. Also not exactly sure what you mean by making a save state near there (I've avoided using save states for games that already have battery back-up).

There's a part on the second world where it's also supposed to be dim, except the light following your character. Did that area work fine on the SNESC or was it wrong?
That part seemed to work fine to me. Dark all around except for the spirit light and torches along the wall. Didn't notice any issues there.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hm, guess I could. You might need to talk me through it though, I don't know how to go about extracting the sram from my SNESC. I haven't done any of the tweaking via FTP like some of y'all. Can it be done through Hakchi's save manager or is that just for save states? Guess I'll need to finally update my 2.0 to the latest version while I'm at it.

Also, "near that area" still requires you to walk several screens before reaching the volcano area from the save point. Also not exactly sure what you mean by making a save state near there (I've avoided using save states for games that already have battery back-up).

That part seemed to work fine to me. Dark all around except for the spirit light and torches along the wall. Didn't notice any issues there.

Oh, I'm not asking for your save. I'm just saying that since you are going to keep playing the game, make an alternative save nearby that area so you can test the area quickly if I'm able to find a fix.

Although I think you can go back to previous worlds and areas if you want to? Can't remember right now. But still, if you can make a separate save near that area it would be better so you can test it out quickly.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, you can return to most areas at will. I already completed that section but I can walk back whenever... though now the volcano is no longer spewing garbage.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, you can return to most areas at will. I already completed that section but I can walk back whenever... though now the volcano is no longer spewing garbage.

That's fine, as long as you can test if the dimness is there or not.

I'll let you know what I can find.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It supports many less games, since it was never intended to be a universal emulator. Either some games won't run at all or have graphical glitches. However for the large amount of games it does run flawlessly, it wins in the most important category as far as I'm concerned: almost inexistant input lag.

Retroarch/Retropie have very noticeable input lag that totally kills my enjoyment of games on them, so it's a breath of fresh air to see such a responsive stock emulator in the SNES Classic. This is mostly why many people are striving to find ways to get broken games to run correctly on it. The lack of input lag is just priceless!
Yeah, I've been really impressed by this thing so far. When you add in the ease of use, plug-and-play portability, and pristine first-party controllers, I think this is my favorite SNES emulation solution I've ever used.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How stable is the hack now?

Where can I get all the artwork you guys have been using?

It's been fine for a while. I might sound like a casual but I find the build in google does a decent job. Add game, click box art, click search, apply art...all in hakchi, takes 10 seconds.

Mines beautiful now, music, CRT mode with no filter, almost perfect selection of games. Loads of patched ones like restored castlevania with the cross and blood, new stuff like Hyper Metroid. Love this system, so much im finally selling off a load of real snes stuff.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Set Preset ID to 1610 and add the command -no-lowlatency

That's robin's work, taking no credit.
That's Secret of Mana 2 I believe. Secret of Mana 1 has its issues too. Part of the problem are that there are so damn many versions of it. It leaves the smaller text barely legible.

There's a fix for Secret of Mana? What is it?
For me I changed the preset ID to B010 on Secret of Mana and that fixed it and activated hi res mode. It very much depends on which version your rom is.

This is the hack thread.

That list has been in the OP since day 1.

I meant a ResetEra version of THIS thread

No, I don't mean patches to get the games working, but patches to improve the games in some ways. I mean this thread.

Beat me to it XD

Best idea would be to get the portable version of hakchi, not the install file and unzip it and rename it 'Friend Hakchi' or whatever so you have two versions. Thats what I did for my partner's siblings ;)

Last edited:

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didnt realise SOM1 needed a fix, I've applied the Fusoya text patch and 9 item limit to mine, hidden the stock version.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Neither did I til the second SNES Classic I was working on's text became unreadable at the start new game screen. Looking into it, its because there is a butt-tonne of Secret of Mana versions. I didn't even find a fix so much as check the preset ID on the SNES Classic that had it working and it solved my problem lol

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know the exact dimensions for the full box and thumbnail art for vertical and horizontal Super Famicom game boxes that are native to the Super Famicom Mini? I know the SNES ones are 228x160 and 40x28 while hakchi resizes them to 228x166 and 40x29.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
In case you're wondering about all the talk of Terranigma, here's a little review I came across that really sells the game.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
In case you're wondering about all the talk of Terranigma, here's a little review I came across that really sells the game.
bretty gud

I've had Terranigma in my backlog since forever and despite numerous recommendations throughout the years I've yet to seriously plow into it. I'll definitely fire it up once I've completed my RTTPs of Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia (already replayed Actraiser, was one of the first games I beat on my new SNESC).

Quadaess

Oct 27, 2017
Sevilla
I have one question, sorry if it has been asked before.
I have yet to hack de SNES Mini, I suppose i'll do in a few weeks. I was waiting basically until Terranigma, Illusion og Gaia and Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension were made playable in the native emulator the console has.
I think the first 2 already are using some patches, but I don't know if the Hyper Dimension game is already playable or if someone is working on it. Any answer about that? Thanks a lot :-)

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Regarding replacing the menu music, a few questions:

1. How easy/hard is it?

2. Can you have multiple songs that shuffle at random? If so, can you set when they shuffle (I'd prefer it shuffles every time you turn it on, instead of every time you hit reset)?

3. How do you make songs loop?

I'd rather not get rid of the catchy default song, but I would love it if it did a random shuffle instead.

Ditto a random shuffling of the scrolling background, if it's possible.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a compilation somewhere of the square cover art that was posted in the previous thread? I'm also looking specifically for square cover art for Batman Returns and the Super Star Wars games.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know the exact dimensions for the full box and thumbnail art for vertical and horizontal Super Famicom game boxes that are native to the Super Famicom Mini? I know the SNES ones are 228x160 and 40x28 while hakchi resizes them to 228x166 and 40x29.

I believe hakchi resizes them if you upload one with bigger dimensions, but if you upload one in the 228x160 res, it should stay that way.

Problem with SFC boxes is that they are not always the same size. Someone with a SFC Mini should extract one of the box images and figure tell us the dimensions.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got the Snes classic. Do we really have the actual ability to play more games like killer instinct, chrono trigger, nba jam etc on this thing? If so, any legal ways going about this?