Votes: 1,249 86.7%
  • nah

Votes: 191 13.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Guys Justin Wong is arguing in bad faith, that much should be obvious.

He's disregarding all positive achievements and doubles down on all negative things.

It's no use to discuss that matter with him.

Yep. He did exactly the same with the Witcher 3 rumour thread a while back.

Also those concerned about online. As far as I'm aware Overwatch runs on Blizzard's dedicated servers. Most of the issues I've seen with online games on the Switch have had a p2p connection so this shouldn't be an issue with Overwatch.

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019
Fact that you comparing performance of PC component to console is very wrong.
every console game have extra optimisation compared to PC, they are currently optimisation game for Switch hardware specifically.
I am pretty sure that you are one of people that were saying that Witcher 3 cant run on Switch.

I am willing to bet that game will be 60 FPS on Switch also.
[/
Fact that you comparing performance of PC component to console is very wrong.
every console game have extra optimisation compared to PC, they are currently optimisation game for Switch hardware specifically.
I am pretty sure that you are one of people that were saying that Witcher 3 cant run on Switch.

I am willing to bet that game will be 60 FPS on Switch also.
I use it almost as some kind of benchmark. I don't think there has been a situation where the win 2 has lost to the switch in a game other than crash

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the best part about people arguing in bad faith is that when Overwatch reveals itself, they mysteriously disappear or move the goal posts 2 miles down the road

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the best part about people arguing in bad faith is that when Overwatch reveals itself, they mysteriously disappear or move the goal posts 2 miles down the road

You know what i'd like? Another of those situations that happened when the Ori port was announced, people come in thread, declaring performance shit. Then a few posts later, dev comes in and says performance fine. ^^

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You know what i'd like? Another of those situations that happened when the Ori port was announced, people come in thread, declaring performance shit. Then a few posts later, dev comes in and says performance fine. ^^
I...still don't know how those people came to that conclusion in the first place O_o

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
And then they tried to argue it didn't have HDR or 4k support so they were right lol

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Glad its getting ported. I remember both Overwatch and Rocket league being requested the most by Switch fans in 2017. Finally both games will be available on the system. It will probably be a hit game on Switch. Never played it myself but I'll be getting Witcher in October and take my time with it.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I'd be really interested to see this! Blizzard & Iron Galaxy did an awesome job with Diablo III, hopefully Overwatch would get some similar care. I would love a shooter to pick up on the Switch now that Splatoon 2 has wound down.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The Switch is weaker than an Intel hd 620 in handheld mode and that can't run it at 544p 60 fps let alone the switch. It runs at the same level as the switch on the witcher 3 when you use a mod so it isn't even a miracle

Oh boy...this is probably the worst take i've seen in a switch thread about ports.

You do realize that closed environments
like consoles are not at all like PCs, right? It's not a pound for pound comparison.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So it's gotta be asked: What are the chances of this leading to crossplay? With the Switch being a second console or dedicated handheld for a lot of people and the Switch Lite due to release which will likely put even more of them in the wild, people are probably going to want to play with their friends on other systems. PUBG and Fortnite have accounted for this, but Overwatch has still been dragging their feet, probably because the PC community is much bigger than Xbox or PS4.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So it's gotta be asked: What are the chances of this leading to crossplay? With the Switch being a second console or dedicated handheld for a lot of people and the Switch Lite due to release which will likely put even more of them in the wild, people are probably going to want to play with their friends on other systems. PUBG and Fortnite have accounted for this, but Overwatch has still been dragging their feet, probably because the PC community is much bigger than Xbox or PS4.

0%

Blizzard needs the loot boxes and need you to restart every single time you play Overwatch on another device. $$$$$

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
And then they tried to argue it didn't have HDR or 4k support so they were right lol

Doesn't Ori even lack HDR on XBox? Honest question, i can't remember. ^^

I fully expect Blizz or the porting devs to make either cuts in resolution trying to aim for 60fps, or going for locked 30fps for a higher visual quality. I wonder what arguments either of those spawn, if it really gets ported.

Tbf, the original Indie World video was running at 30fps and dropping frames everywhere. Was a problem with the whole video though, not just that trailer.

I think this is and has been a problem with Nintendo's trailers and streams for a few years now already. At this point, people on an enthusiast forum should be able to keep that in mind and wait for direct feed material where Nintendo's people didn't tinker around.

Remember the first images of Xenoblade 1? It's almost like Nintendo's PR activley try to use the least favorable stuff. ^^

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I don't know what is "LOL" about my post to be honest. Game is being ported regardless and if they get it to 60fps they will have done a lot of work (and worked some magic).

Why magic? Game is not that demanding, it runs 1080p/60fps even on base XB1.
I think we can expect 720p/60 fps on Switch in docked mode and 540p/60 fps in portable mode.

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019
Oh boy...this is probably the worst take i've seen in a switch thread about ports.

You do realize that closed environments
like consoles are not at all like PCs, right? It's not a pound for pound comparison.
If it beats the switch in almost every game games and can't run overwatch at 60 fps without insanely low res then the switch probably can't either

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Not really hating. Just don't expect it to be 60 fps
Do we even have confirmation? Diablo III managed to get 60fps with 900p, so I would expect about the same range of performance for a game like Overwatch (if Iron Galaxy is once again handling their port).

I'd say from your other post, you'd be too pessimistic over Switch port quality.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
In the end, 60fps is pretty much a requirement if they're also aiming for cross-play in the long run. Though in this case i'd rather have cross-progression.

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019
Do we even have confirmation? Diablo III managed to get 60fps with 900p, so I would expect about the same range of performance for a game like Overwatch (if Iron Galaxy is once again handling their port).

I'd say from your other post, you'd be too pessimistic over Switch port quality.
What worries me is the requirements difference between the 2 games. I would rather have a stable 30 then for it to fluctuate

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
overwatch is a really easy game to run at 60fps, even easier if they put in the work to downgrade some assets and effects. it's not like it has particularly massive maps or lots of characters or anything. it's really not unrealistic at all.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
What worries me is the requirements difference between the 2 games. I would rather have a stable 30 then for it to fluctuate
It comes down to frame pacing and draw calls of their graphics renderer.

I know Panic Button games tend to exhibit some of these problems, but with my limited time on Iron Galaxy's ports, they tend to run much smoother. It's clear a lot of devs need to do a lot of under-the-hood optimizations.

(I'm not sure if PB is still in charge of Warframe updates but the recent ones have made the game run considerably smoother with narry a hitch)
"All of sudden"?

This always happens.
And people call me deranged...

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You can run OW at 60 on a potato.

Don't know how anyone would think it's impossible on switch

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Even Diablo 3 runs worse on a GPD Win 2. It constantly goes into the 40's (with drops even into the 30's) with not much happening on screen early game.

Not to mention The Witcher 3, which I believe that user has claimed before could not run on the Switch as well as it does on the GPD Win 2.

Basically, almost every port we have seen to Switch runs and looks better on Switch than it does on the GPD Win 2. There might be a few exceptions but generally the Switch is stronger in real world use, even if it's not on paper.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
If it beats the switch in almost every game games and can't run overwatch at 60 fps without insanely low res then the switch probably can't either

Bad faith is so easy to see through...

I presume you didn't consider that the studio would be able to adjust poly count of objects & player models, fine tune textures, change lighting solutions, and adjust things like resolution, alpha effects, or any other number of variables to improve performance and resolution.

I *assume* you don't really have a solid idea as to what you're talking about.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Basically, almost every port we have seen to Switch runs and looks better on Switch than it does on the GPD Win 2. There might be a few exceptions but generally the Switch is stronger in real world use, even if it's not on paper.

Some people on here certainly need a read-up about OS overhead and development for fixed hardware and optimized small-footprint OS. ^^

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
If a GPD Win 2 can run Overwatch with no problem then Switch can run it even better. The Overwatch engine scaling is superb, how can people be this delusional.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
You can see my speculation about it on the previous page, but I think the two most concrete things to consider is that, like you mentioned, PUBG just announced console cross-play, and Jeff Kaplan's words on it from last Blizzcon that cross-play is something Blizzard discusses with the console manufacturers. Nothing vague about PUBG unlike some unreleased AAA games just gesturing towards some form of cross-play, it's explicitly PS4/Xbox; the Sony Cross-Play Beta might finally be having results for players with devs outside of Epic Games' privileged bubble.

Jeff Kaplan through Eurogamer Nov 2018 said:
Are you working on enabling PS4-Xbox One cross-play in light of Sony loosening up?

Jeff Kaplan:
We're super-excited about what's going on with cross-play in all sorts of different games, from Rocket League to Fortnite, and we are constantly in discussions with the first-parties, Microsoft and Sony, to see where they're at and gauge where their temperature is at. It's something that would be very exciting for us to pursue.

Is it something you are pursuing?

Jeff Kaplan:
We are definitely having conversations that we're interested in the thought of it.

It's very complicated - from a technology standpoint, a game design standpoint, and from a business relationship standpoint. But we would be excited to tackle all of those challenges; we would love to try. We're gamers; "Why can't my buddies on this system or that system play together?" We sympathise with that, we want to be able to do that too.

Talking of technical complications: have you explored putting Overwatch on Switch (Diablo launched on Switch today)? Could it work?

Jeff Kaplan:
Our philosophy has always been we want as many players playing Overwatch as possible, and we want to reach as many possible Overwatch players as are out there. We will always explore a platform if we think we could make it viable - both the technology and the business relationship. We would love to do it.

We don't have anything to announce or any plans with Nintendo or Switch at this time, but -

It's a possibility?

Jeff Kaplan:
It's something we're very open-minded about.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
If cross-progress happens with PS4 this would be the greatest gaming announcement for me. Its been a long time since I've stuck to a game for as long as I have Overwatch and portable play will bring that to the next level. Nintendo-exclusive costumes would be awesome too.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
My only issue with this is that you still need to be online to play, so I lose a lot of that portability aspect. But glad to see it come to Switch regardless.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
0%

Blizzard needs the loot boxes and need you to restart every single time you play Overwatch on another device. $$$$$
Jokes aside, I wonder what Blizzard's feelings are on cross-progression nowadays internally. I'm sure around launch there were enthusiastic double/triple dips on the game and fans maintaining multiple OW accounts, but I assume getting some (possibly lapsed) players to start over on Switch 3+ years later when they already invested time on other platforms seems like a nonstarter.

Ideally for me, a cross-progression OW would go F2P, and I could just play it on all platforms without rebuying it, Blizzard distributing some founders perks to past players who bought at copy of OW, with the game adopting more modern MTX over loot boxes. But I don't believe there are any signs pointing towards that.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Jokes aside, I wonder what Blizzard's feelings are on cross-progression nowadays internally. I'm sure around launch there were enthusiastic double/triple dips on the game and fans maintaining multiple OW accounts, but I assume getting some (possibly lapsed) players to start over on Switch 3+ years later when they already invested time on other platforms seems like a nonstarter.

Ideally for me, a cross-progression OW would go F2P, and I could just play it on all platforms without rebuying it, Blizzard distributing some founders perks to past players who bought at copy of OW, with the game adopting more modern MTX over loot boxes. But I don't believe there are any signs pointing towards that.
That would be the dream šŸ˜­
I don't wanna buy OW for the 100th time (gifted it to some friends) and after so many years going F2P would be smart especially since they are gonna launch a PvE expansion