• I would have done the same

Votes: 36 2.2%
  • 🤦‍♂️

Votes: 383 23.7%

• Total voters

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Sold all my physical media for Xbox last gen and still no regrets, but they also have a fantastic BC program that carries my games forward and fantastic legacy support.

I ALMOST went 100% digital for my Switch last year. Started and ended with Animal Crossing. I realized Nintendo's BC and online legacy support is essentially non existent so probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Did OP buy physical, sell everything, buy digital, then buy physical again, then sell everything again?

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Sold everything I had from PS4 and went digital (mainly gamepass) on Xbox. I will only buy a physical game to test de drive and to have when xbox Live is down.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I will never be digital only, I have had to many issues with digital media, that the minor convenience with never justify it. i only get digital if there is no other option

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you as well just buy switch cases and print your own covers at that point. There's no harm in custom art

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I converted from physical to digital on Ps4 last gen since all the games I purchased were heavily discounted on PSN( and having to install the games on the HDD anyways soooo), but recently I've started seeing more 8th gen non-sports games at my local charity shop and recently I've picked up titles like Doom 2016, Titanfall 2, Ass. Creed Origins and Unity for $2 each. PSN sales got a lot better last gen but not *that* good.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
No. I think you misread.

At first I regretted going digital (hence this thread), and that's why I repurchased the games, but then I sold them again (and actually made a small profit).
The latest games I purchased were The Origami King, Super Mario 3D World, and Mario 3D All-Stars and I purchased them digitally, cementing my decision to stick with digital going forward.
I did misread, my apologies. But still, rough situation.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
So. Small update.

This might be the most dumb or the most intelligent decision of my gaming life. I have been purchasing empty cases (with artwork); I can display the boxes in my shelf, but with the convenience of digital games!

I only have 16 cases for now, but I still need to get dozens more.

SkLxE6k.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
So. Small update.

This might be the most dumb or the most intelligent decision of my gaming life. I have been purchasing empty cases (with artwork); I can display the boxes in my shelf, but with the convenience of digital games!

SkLxE6k.jpg

....you're spending money on empty cases just to have them on display?

I mean, it's your money and all, but... why. Just why.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I have a combination of physical and digital Switch games. Initially I bought physical copies because I like the case and the game card, but the novelty wore off and convenience won out in the end. Now I mostly buy digital.

I have no regrets.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
....you're spending money on empty cases just to have them on display?

I mean, it's your money and all, but... why. Just why.
Because the transition from physical to digital hasn't been easy. I mean, I have been purchasing physical games since, I don't know... 30 years ago? I have been conditioned to purchase physical games all my life.

So, becoming a digital person is pretty great, but it is also missing a piece. Purchasing the empty case fills that void.

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is so strange to me. The two perks of digital are easy access and less storage space. The later would be much more important to me.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I own mostly physical games OP but I would love to get some cases for my digital games too. Where did you get them if you don't mind?

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
Personally, and this is just my opinion. But you should consider downloading all of your digital Switch games onto small cheap individual Micro-SD Cards, and then place them in their respective boxes. That way you can... have a physical representation/backup, of your digital purchases.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't go all digital with Nintendo (or Sony).

Their games hold value and the reseller market is strong. I also don't trust them with my digital library like I do with Microsoft.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah never get rid of physical things unless you are absolutely sure or okay with rebuying them.

I totally get the love of the box for display and what not

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The physical Vs digital debate is as old as time itself here and I myself prefer physical for bigger releases but am not against digital for some types of game.

However where Nintendo releases are concerned I think that if you don't mind physical games, you should always buy physical.

They're just much more valuable than physical releases on PlayStation or Xbox, they normally receive much less post release patching and (in my opinion) they're much more likely to increase in value years later.

Go digital only all you want but if there's one place where physical is a good idea it's on Nintendo hardware.

Also OP if you're buying empty cases for digital games I feel like you should just get the physical game. If you've been around long enough to have no issue with walking two yards across the room to Switch cartridges digital may not be that much more convenient. You might as well have a case that serves an actual purpose...

Last edited:

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Always get Nintendo games physically. Once you're done with them sell them for a high price and you basically got the game for $10-20.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So. Small update.

SkLxE6k.jpg
This just reminds me of those people that would print covers and make cases for all their Steam games. I feel this is worse because at least with that they were buying DVD cases in bulk and just printing off covers. I don't think I could justify having literally empty plastic boxes taking up shelf space though.

I just hope you're paying literally pennies for this stuff.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So. Small update.

SkLxE6k.jpg
I hope you just got a bunch of blank cases and printed off the covers yourself. If not... uh, you probably got fleeced.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
You do you OP but man. Going digital really brought it home that this is just 'stuff' having it collect dust on shelves doing nothing. There was a time when I would admire my stuff but now its just clutter making rooms smaller. I think the thread is inspiring me to go into the spare room where all my DVDs are lined on shelves, pack that stuff up and give it away. Maybe this weekend.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is so dumb I'm speechless.

I imagine having a pile of empty boxes in my home, having people come by who notice they're all empty, and having to explain the reasoning behind it, and I'm nearly dying of embarassment just thinking about it.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Digital games + extra plastic is a big mind-boggling. I read your reasoning but I think the better answer would be to condition yourself to not need the boxes rather than feeding a nostalgic habit.

Nov 4, 2017
Damn, those replacement cases look good. I need to get one for my BotW. I received it as a gift, and the sales person put the cart in a cardboard display box instead of a plastic case. The person buying it didn't realise it should come in a plastic case.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
So. Small update.

SkLxE6k.jpg
Why not just print the covers?

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
I generally settle on Physical vs Digital on the switch in regards to size. Anything over about 8.5 or 9 gigs I will buy physical if its an option. Anything under that I'll just download instead.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So. Small update.

SkLxE6k.jpg
Eh. With how boring Switch case spines are, I'm not feeling the appeal.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
I don't see any advantages of digital games over physical. Faster to switch games? It takes me 5 seconds to switch a game on any console so I don't care about that convenience…

Less clutter? Meh. My physical games have value. From $20 for my copy of FIFA21 to $400 for my copy of Paper Mario 64.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Honestly even if it's less worthy of display, I'd just print off all the box art. Hardly any games have manuals in them anymore and you could just put the art in a scrap book or something.

Would be even cheaper and easier to do as well.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Well, at least this thread makes me feel better about how much I've spent solely on gaming and a new TV since last year lol.