• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who should do the killing in Home Alone 1+2?

• Kevin decides who lives and dies around here!

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • The Wet Bandits have it rough, give them a win!

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • I do not condone violence, but I understand that someone must do the killing and leave it to chance.

Votes: 25 18.2%
  • I do not believe anyone should do the killing. The two parties should reconcile and become a family.

Votes: 25 18.2%
  • I'm not sure as I do not celebrate Christmas.

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
sorry heres the full sentence

"Kevin McCallister is a bad person and I always wish The Wet Bandits would catch and kill him."

yeah still psychotic
Yes. There is no context in the world where this is not psychotic.
Kevin grew up in a family of loud obnoxious shitheads who were neglectful. Not necessarily bad people (Uncle Frank is a motherfucker), but neglectful to a developing young boy, and we have people here siding with the career criminals who tried to hurt or kill a child.

These posts are almost funnier than the OP.

Almost.

PRESS RELEASE
OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
pressrelease58kt7.png

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DECEMBER 1ST, 2021

STATEMENT ON ALLEGED SUPPORT FOR THE WET BANDITS​

NEW YORK, NEW YORK -- It has come to my attention that some statements I made in the past surrounding the actions of the notorious "Wet Bandits" (also known regionally as "The Sticky Bandits") are being circulated online in an attempt to defame me. I would like to take this opportunity to clarify the situation and dispel the accusations against me.

The Wet Bandits pursued numerous attempts on the life of Kevin McCallister to make good on their promise to catch and kill him. This is illegal in both the state of Illinois and the state of New York City. As this is the law of the land, it is also wrong that The Wet Bandits sought vigilante justice outside the criminal justice system. Kevin McCallister had a right to a trial the same as anyone. As a proponent of law and order, and as a one-time appearance in the background of an episode of Law & Order on TV, I can state unequivocally that The Wet Bandits actions were wrong. They should not have tried to catch and kill Kevin McCallister.

However we must acknowledge that this is the plot of the movie. Two parties, one composed of Kevin McCallister and another of The Wet Bandits, take turns attempting to inflict mortal injury on one another. To take sides on this matter is to inherently support the murder of one party at the hands of another. I personally believe that both sides are to blame. But the fact remains that Kevin is far more successful in his attempts to kill The Wet Bandits, who are lucky to be alive. Whoever you are "rooting for" when watching the movies, the end result is immutable. Kevin always wins. It comes from a place of great empathy that I am able to feel sorry for The Wet Bandits. I hope this year you too can open your heart to the plight of the needy and relate a little more to Kevin's victims. Kevin McCallister himself once said: "Your heart might still be broken, but it isn't gone."

Thank you sincerely and good tidings to all.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. They make it very clear that Kevin is intentionally avoiding being discovered by the police. In the first movie because he accidentally shoplifted and thought they were there to arrest him and in the second movie because he deliberately stole his father's credit card.

And then the fatso falls on his ass, cue laugh track. They even have scene where two cops pass a distraught mother back and forth between departments to make it crystal clear to the audience that the police will not be helping in this movie.

Also, 'deliberately stole his father's credit card' seems a little uncharitable. Isn't the card just in the bag Kevin has? Do you want him to roam the streets of NY? I'm sure if my 10 year old was lost in another country I'd be fine with him using my credit card but that might just be me.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Kevin is great. His family sucks and the bandits had it coming both times.

Home Alone 2 makes me laugh my ass off every year. Even just the smell of fish convo cracks me up

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Also, 'deliberately stole his father's credit card' seems a little uncharitable. Isn't the card just in the bag Kevin has? Do you want him to roam the streets of NY? I'm sure if my 10 year old was lost in another country I'd be fine with him using my credit card but that might just be me.
There's a difference between using the credit card to make due and

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a difference between using the credit card to make due and

Oh my gaaaaaawd Kevin is 9 years old. Have you ever asked a 9 year old how much things cost? They're straight up dumb as rocks.

EDIT: Also the bill comes to $967.43 which for context is probably a 10th of what the family spent on the flights alone to Paris at Xmas.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I really hated this scene especially. It's not clever, it's not a trap and it would outright kill them.

I dislike the whole film but this scene is the worst.

It's good old physical comedy. Half of Kevin's traps would kill someone or leave them severely injured like the super heated door knobs, the stairs covered in ice, the flame thrower to the dome, etc.

Dec 30, 2020
Eh, Kevin just strikes me as a fairly average kid (who lives in a damn mansion.) In the first movie, at least. In the second movie he's progressed into being Jigsaw because he's straight up trying to kill the Wet Bandits. The traps in the first movie were like things a little kid would come up with. The traps in the second movie were like Michael Weston prepping a house.

Of course they don't come close to the DROP A RUNNING LAWNMOWER ON THEIR FACE trap from the third movie.

Oct 30, 2017
Home Alone 1 I can accept as a dude practicing the Castle Doctrine in real time. He pulls off some incredible shit in the name of self-defense.

I watched Home Alone 2 Monday night and holy shit is Kevin just a burgeoning sociopath. I know Columbus and Co. had to write a feature-length film, but all he had to do was take those polaroids of Marv and Harry ransacking the toy store to any cornerstore NY cop and boom, game over.

But nah, that's not good enough for good ol' Kevin. Poor Marv, he gets so fucking rekt in this movie.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
While I agree with the takes about the McAllister family being horrible rich bastards with nary a decent person among them (arguably the closest would be the mother? And even then she has raised her kids allowing a bullying piece of shit like Buzz to grow up like that) and Kevin going a little bit too far into psychopathy during HA2, I'd like to offer a very personal counterpoint. It doesn't really contradict anything you've said in your OP, or what other people have said in this very thread.

It's just a post about why Home Alone 2 (both movies actually, but HA2 especially) has a particular place in my heart despite all the very valid criticism levied at it. I think I said more or less the same last year, around the same date, but it's applicable anyway.

It's all about context, really. I was a kid born during the latter part of the 80s who not only had lived his short life in a Southern Hemisphere country (which meant xmas happened right after the official start of the summer), but also lived in a small town right in the middle of the driest desert in the world, a place that gets basically a couple of days with soft precipitation *a year*, and in which the main difference between summer and winter is mostly that winter gets far colder during the early morning and twilight hours, and there's like a bunch of cloudy days in winter and that's it.
So considering that, considering that the bunch of christmases I had known so far consisted in heat, dry land and definitely no reindeer (except for plush toys) and that the only time in *decades* that my hometown had received snowfall had coincided with me being 2 years old and being incredibly sick (which meant I could only watch the snow from *inside* the house), the idea of a "white christmas" was something you could never get at all. Literally impossible in that part of the world.

Enter Home Alone 2. I dunno why it resonated with me so much at first but I think I've started to understand why with the passage of time - what HA2 showed me was what "Christmas" was "supposed" to be like. Not the ridiculously cartoonish slapstick violence, obviously (which I enjoyed in the same way I enjoyed Looney Tunes stuff as a kid) or the fact that Kevin's family was incredibly shitty (something I realized even as a kid), but the way it all... looked. The atmosphere. The snow, the coldness, the way the houses were all decked full with decorations and lights, and the way it all seemed to radiate a *warmth* inside the cold that it wasn't even possible where I lived. It was a different kind of cold and a different kind of warmth.
And then... New York. It was as far removed from my shitty little hometown as Pluto is from Earth. It was immense, sprawling, impossibly tall, with buildings that blot out the sun and streets filled with snow and christmas lights and everything I didn't know I wanted but I knew it felt "right". It's everything I couldn't have. And, oh boy, that toy store... imagine my heartbreak knowing it wasn't a real place after all. But my kid mind loved that place, and wanted so much to be there and get lost there for an entire afternoon.

Still, those images meant so much to me. It was the vision of how it "should" be. In my hometown I'd never see something like this.

7ab71658f395916e9b79335ff3ad4570.jpg

And, you know, the music... this piece by the Maestro John Williams always transports me, mentally and emotionally, back to "that place", a mythical/ideal christmastime NYC, where I'm a kid again, watching everything in awe.

So, yeah, despite all the very valid criticism (it's a rehash of the first movie, it's too violent, everybody's a PoS, and so on), there's something about HA2 that tugs at my heartstrings and makes me feel longing - for an ideal and a concept that probably doesn't really exist (or, at least, it does in a very different way), but also for something I felt and loved and wanted as a kid.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
I always thought these movies are more like a live action version of a cartoon, like Tom&Jerry or Roadrunner and not some character study.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I had no idea people take these movies seriously. They're like National Lampoon's Christmas vacation. A movie that's supposed to be silly, fun and to make you feel good around the holidays.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea people take these movies seriously. They're like National Lampoon's Christmas vacation. A movie that's supposed to be silly, fun and to make you feel good around the holidays.
Hint: No one takes these films seriously except the people who show up to demand people stop taking them seriously or to clutch their pearls about anyone in the Wet Bandits' corner.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
I never understood why they flew the entire giant-ass family from Miami to New York and then probably back to Chicago in HA2. What a waste of money, yet people are complaining about Kevin spending money at the Plaza Hotel. Clearly money is no object for this family.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
As a movie, I was always impressed how Home Alone 2 was able to recreate the tone of the first. The production design and cinematography are very seamless, like if you removed the credits and played them back to back, you would think it is all one movie.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Thank you OP this is absolutely hilarious "Kevin has worn the boot" is brilliant comedy writing.
I truly tried to produce the most outrageous sentences I could come up with to prevent anyone from missing the joke and people still take the whole thing at face value. I appreciate that you like this line in particular. It tested very well in focus groups.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
As a movie, I was always impressed how Home Alone 2 was able to recreate the tone of the first. The production design and cinematography are very seamless, like if you removed the credits and played them back to back, you would think it is all one movie.
All jokes aside they are genuinely splendidly well-made films. The aesthetic they produce and maintain is the holiday standard.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
OP makes a compelling case. If Home Alone 2 was the one where they cornered Kevin and threatened to bite his fingers off, I would've been somewhat conflicted if they were interrupted before they could actually go through with it.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
OP makes a compelling case. If Home Alone 2 was the one where they cornered Kevin and threatened to bite his fingers off, I would've been somewhat conflicted if they were interrupted before they could actually go through with it.

Home Alone 2 is the one were they threaten to shoot him.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would just like to say that I greatly appreciate the work Finale Fireworker has put into this thread, and it has made me rethink Kevin McCallister as a character. Not to mention reconceptualized some of my favorite childhood films.

Oct 30, 2017
I never understood why they flew the entire giant-ass family from Miami to New York and then probably back to Chicago in HA2. What a waste of money, yet people are complaining about Kevin spending money at the Plaza Hotel. Clearly money is no object for this family.
What about in Home Alone 1 where Kevin's mom takes goes by plane, train, and automobile to get to Kevin only for the rest of the family to show up literally 2 minutes later on the flight that mom refused to wait 2 days for?

I would have been pissed after having had to sit in a cramped Budget rental van listening to polka the entire drive.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
You proceed by wishing the little boy to be killed and then write a 10 page essay about how deranged and a monster the kid is. Like some of you need a step away for a minute before posting jeez.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
What about in Home Alone 1 where Kevin's mom takes goes by plane, train, and automobile to get to Kevin only for the rest of the family to show up literally 2 minutes later on the flight that mom refused to wait 2 days for?

I would have been pissed after having had to sit in a cramped Budget rental van listening to polka the entire drive.

But at least you would have met John Candy before he died.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Kevin was always garbage.

Home Alone has always been a revenge/invasion fantasy, an American "come get my guns" type of story.

Jul 14, 2020
I really hated this scene especially. It's not clever, it's not a trap and it would outright kill them.

I dislike the whole film but this scene is the worst.

I'm not gonna stand up for too hard for the second movie, it was the definition of a warmed-over rehash and i even realized it back then, but when I saw it in the theater as an 11 or 12 year old, the absolute over the top violence at the abandoned apt had me rolling, especially the brick throwing with the impeccable comic timing in that scene. It's live action Loony Tunes/Tom and Jerry stuff (i guess 3 stooges being the original live action version that slightly preceded the cartoons). I'd say HA2 is meaner, but it's on the same spectrum of slapstick violence as comedy, which i grew up on and loved, so it tracks that i'd be all over that as a kid.

Now that said, having watched it as an adult Kevin is an almost completely unsympathetic little shit. I was about his age when they both came out, so i have some nostalgia for the first one as a kinda wish fulfillment fantasy, but as the OP pointed out he's a spoiled rich kid with a spoiled rich family all being dicks to each other and everyone around them and deserve the worst

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
You proceed by wishing the little boy to be killed and then write a 10 page essay about how deranged and a monster the kid is. Like some of you need a step away for a minute before posting jeez.

Psychopathic children defense force. I bet you think Damien from Omen is just misunderstood.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I am most fond of Home Alone 2 because of the SEGA Genesis game honestly. A totally below mediocre game that I played all of the time because it was one of the few games I owned. Everything Home Alone 2 just is especially nostalgic for me even if I recognize its seriously major issues.

I really want to see this movie one day

I would pay good money to see this. No bullshit.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Once Kevin is indulged and given control of the building and the staff, he degrades and humiliates them at every turn. He makes them fear for their very lives. These people who work here, who have objectively done nothing wrong, are treated with tremendous indecency.
"The staff did nothing wrong."

The staff did literally everything wrong.

Tim Curry's character enters Kevin's room (from his POV: Mr. McCallister's room) without consent. He's concerige, not hotel security. He accesses Kevin's billing information, runs the credit card and it comes back as stolen. Does he contact the police and tell them a young child is using what can only be assumed is his father's card? No, he confronts Kevin and calls him a thief. If this were a real situation, Tim Curry gets fired, the entire support staff gets fired and everyone at The Plaza (including Trump) gets sued into oblivion.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
"The staff did nothing wrong."

The staff did literally everything wrong.

Tim Curry's character enters Kevin's room (from his POV: Mr. McCallister's room) without consent. He's concerige, not hotel security. He accesses Kevin's billing information, runs the credit card and it comes back as stolen. Does he contact the police and tell them a young child is using what can only be assumed is his father's card? No, he confronts Kevin and calls him a thief. If this were a real situation, Tim Curry gets fired, the entire support staff gets fired and everyone at The Plaza (including Trump) gets sued into oblivion.
Finally, another intellectual. I do not agree but I respect your perspective. Thank you for engaging with the material.