• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Silver prices surged to a five-month high on Monday, silver-mining stocks leapt and coin-selling websites were swamped as small-time investors piled in to the metal, the latest focus of a retail-trading frenzy that has set financial markets on edge.

Silver has become the latest asset to surge after the GameStop frenzy, when Redditors drove up the share price that big fund managers had bet against.

Since mid last week, thousands of Reddit posts and hundreds of YouTube videos have encouraged small investors to buy silver, partly in the belief that lifting its physical price could hurt large investors who had made paper bets that it would fall
11 August, at $28.98 an ounce, while silver-mining stocks leapt more than 15% and the demand for physical silver more than doubled since Thursday.

In a spillover from US markets, silver exchange traded funds listed on the Tokyo stock exchange jumped more than 10%, while shares of Australian silver explorers jumped between 20% and 40% on Monday.

Data from iShares Silver Trust ETF on Friday showed more than 37m shares were created in one day, each one representing an ounce of silver.

Hemke said the silver mining sector in US and Canada had been a victim of predatory short selling but that "for this silver squeeze to be effective it's going to take a lot of patience as the pricing system is entrenched and has been entrenched for 40 years."

"What they were able to do with GameStop is only one individual stock and on the other side are the hedge funds which can get squeezed with margin calls. That's going to be challenging to do with silver because it's a big market and the entities holding the short positions are held by the banks and they have deep pockets."
www.theguardian.com

Silver price reaches eight-year high as small investors snap it up

Prices of precious metal surges as Reddit posts and YouTube videos encourage interest

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
For anybody else thinking of jumping on the next bandwagon:

Unless you know how to read a 10k statement, just put your money something that tracks the market as a whole (ie VTSAX or VFIAX). The market averages 10%-11.8% RoE and even investment legends like Warren Buffet only get around 20.5% RoE. You're not going to beat that without taking on a lot of risk and even if you could it probably isn't worth the effort or risk it will take to beat it.

Don't think of investing as a way to get rich (it really isn't unless you're a accredited investor which requires you to be rich in the first place), think of it as a long term savings that bobs up and down.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hard to push fake narratives against a group which is fully transparent on a public forum and all you need to confirm or deny it is to go to the said public forum and read. Which I did and can confirm it's not true. Ofc there might be individual investors in the group who think it's good but it's obviously not a full wide community thing.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be honest, stuff like this is why I'm not really believing much I've been reading.

A similair topic is about the short squeeze. The popular opinion is it's still coming big but we have some experts who claims that it is somehow already avoided by the hedge funds and that they obviously have safety measures to avoid situations like this. I don't have the knowledge myself to make any judgement here but obviously I feel sceptical when the two conflicting info is beneficial for the respective side pushing it.

So I'll just hold my popcorn with no stakes invested and follow the drama.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
Man, you'd think there'd be consequences for all this blatant manipulation on all fronts.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Hedge funds try distraction tactics so people sell their GME stocks. Very transparent.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
I can't believe the lack of journalism in these puff pieces. There are no long running account on WSB pushing silver, it's all new accts and bots. The community isn't exactly happy about it either.

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao that makes absolutely zero sense and they may trick some people in the very early morning who haven't fully woken up yet

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Quick ctrl+f results having loaded more comments and expanded a few sub comments:
retard(ed) : 63 times
autist(ic,ism): 17
Literally just that thread alone and I probably only loaded a portion of it.
"4chan with a bloomberg terminal" is a pretty accurate self description lol

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I have some silver mining stock that I picked up for way too high so this might be a good time to sell them. Also this is obviously a hedge fund ploy.

I don't buy that gme is not making hedge funds rich as it is anyway. I'm sure gme is just mostly hedge funds getting rich off other hedge funds and maybe a couple redditors thrown in for good measure.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Quick ctrl+f results having loaded more comments and expanded a few sub comments:
Yeah, it's pretty cringe every time I look at it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Hard to sympathize with people using "autists" like this tbh.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Everything I have seen is people warning that the silver stuff is a distraction to get people out of the Gamestop squeeze. I haven't seen many actual meme stock traders actually propping it up. And yes, reading wallstreetbets will make you feel like you need to wash your eyeballs with bleach.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
They're probably Trump types.

They're all types, politically, their money don't talk politics. They have chosen to a) take the negative things said about them and turn it into their banner colors and b) make their subreddit as deliberately hostile to outside readers as they can while still being allowed on reddit. It's childish, gross bullshit, but it's childish, gross bullshit that champions making money for personal wealth to be more like Trump as easily as it does purchasing GME to squeeze the hedge funds in retaliation for the 2008 bailout while posting Bernie memes.

simmins

Nov 7, 2017
Honest question, but what happens when GME and the others eventually collapse? It's inevitable that GME will eventually collapse. I'm curious about the market implications once it begins and people, some of whom invested their life savings, begin to lose. I think it has gotten to the point where the whole thing is starting to feel like a ponzi scheme where those who got in early are encouraging others so they can get their early investments to pay out more. It just feels like this whole thing is out of control.

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question, but what happens when GME and the others eventually collapse? It's inevitable that GME will eventually collapse. I'm curious about the market implications once it begins and people, some of whom invested their life savings, begin to lose. I think it has gotten to the point where the whole thing is starting to feel like a ponzi scheme where those who got in early are encouraging others so they can get their early investments to pay out more. It just feels like this whole thing is out of control.

There is no sudden collapse unless people start selling their shares, which they aren't. Still, as everyone on WSB says, they are not financial advisors but just a bunch of idiots gambling money. WSB shouldn't be taken as sound financial advice.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017

Things are nuts in the market right now, when GME collapses it will cause some chaos for the next few weeks but then things will settle down again.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a planted story right? Bots? It's all over the news and just seems like a distraction to me..

edit:checked WSB and it does seem to be planted/distraction.

It's even on the Belgian news and they've been two days late on the whole GME thing so far. Looks like someone is sending out memo's.