• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Honest question, but what happens when GME and the others eventually collapse? It's inevitable that GME will eventually collapse. I'm curious about the market implications once it begins and people, some of whom invested their life savings, begin to lose. I think it has gotten to the point where the whole thing is starting to feel like a ponzi scheme where those who got in early are encouraging others so they can get their early investments to pay out more. It just feels like this whole thing is out of control.

You're correct.

AMC is the only stock that you should hold long term, because it used to be actually worth something before the Pandemic.

GME is a frenzy where people who bought it at $50 are encouraging people who bought it at $300 to hold. GME can go to $1000 or even $2000 but GME was never a profiling stock compared to AMC.

Half the investors will get their hands cut while the other half will walk out with profits. It'll be a game of who can sell first and cash out their original investment. Everyone is semi-aware of this idea that hands are going to get cut when it dips. People are just hoping it's the hedge funds and not your general investor that loses money.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question, but what happens when GME and the others eventually collapse? It's inevitable that GME will eventually collapse. I'm curious about the market implications once it begins and people, some of whom invested their life savings, begin to lose. I think it has gotten to the point where the whole thing is starting to feel like a ponzi scheme where those who got in early are encouraging others so they can get their early investments to pay out more. It just feels like this whole thing is out of control.
Investment firms have filed forms with the SEC saying that they own more stock of GME than actually exists.
old.reddit.com

The real reason Wall Street is terrified of the GME situation

Posted in r/wallstreetbets by u/johnnydaggers • 58,200 points and 7,713 comments

tl;dr
There are are 71 million shares of GME that have ever been issued by the company. Institutions have reported to the SEC via 13F filings that they own more than 102,000,000 shares (including the 13% of GME stock is owned by Ryan Cohen).

They filed these forms because some people actually own Gamestop stock, and others took out short positions that said "I will loan a share of Gamestop from you, and in return I will pay back the share in the future." So many investors took those short positions that they end up shorting more stock than actually exists. They wanted to use this phantom stock to help continue to drive Gamestops stock price down, and hopefully force a bankruptcy so their short positions make tons of money.

If these shorts have to be paid back, and the amount that has to be paid back is greater than the number of shares that exist in the first place, then the retail investors who actually went out and bought Gamestop stock will be able to sell it to the hedge fund investors who need to pay back their short positions.

If this happens, the price skyrockets while the hedge funds make their short positions whole, then they have the stock and the price starts to crater. If you're a retail investor you need to sell during this window or be left holding an empty bag, sure, but the nature of the situation makes it most likely for hedge funds to be left holding those empty bags.

Last edited:

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Every action by the establishment this past week has been just one huge ball of "It's afraid", it's a great sign that this thing could actually work if they're scrambling this hard.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
300px-Silver_Cover.jpg

I hope it funds a sequel!

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regulations but on brokers and retail.

Expect the reversion to higher bars on option trading (RH really had none) and possibly removal of commission free trades as it lowered capital at brokers

RE: Silver Hedge Funds are Net long. They would be happy if the masses tried to move the price

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
This is legitimately fake news,
Would be nice if people were to provide some evidence of this being fake news instead of saying the entire mainstream media is bought or being manipulated by hedge funds. Demand has risen considerably over the past day or so. That must have come from somewhere. Is the idea that these people are unsavy redditors falling for bots and plants posting on WSB? Bad faith posters manipulating for their own gain? Or is there no posts on WSB about this at all? I haven't checked.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So does this mean I should sell the silver bars I have? I'm not interested in investing in it because it seems like another gongshow.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice if people were to provide some evidence of this being fake news instead of saying the entire mainstream media is bought or being manipulated by hedge funds. Demand has risen considerably over the past day or so. That must have come from somewhere. Is the idea that these people are unsavy redditors falling for bots and plants posting on WSB?
Citadel apparently has a ton of money in SLV. It seems like a lure to get people to invest so they can cash out.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Would be nice if people were to provide some evidence of this being fake news instead of saying the entire mainstream media is bought or being manipulated by hedge funds. Demand has risen considerably over the past day or so. That must have come from somewhere. Is the idea that these people are unsavy redditors falling for bots and plants posting on WSB? Bad faith posters manipulating for their own gain? Or is there no posts on WSB about this at all? I haven't checked.
There's no posts on WSB about it, at all outside of ones from accounts literally made days prior to posting and that have never posted on WSB before. It's almost 100% a manipulation by financial institutions to try to split the interest away from GME where they're still in massive danger and so they can cash out even more profit in silver by manipulating it even further then dumping it all on the retail investors who fell for it. They certainly have the ability to artificially raise the price to try to lure people in, but then they are the ones holding all the cards and can dump it whenever they want once they've siphoned off enough money from gullible/naive investors.

Setreal

Oct 27, 2017
Literally half of the front page of WSB is saying this is false, so not sure what their sources are.

Oct 25, 2017

I think there's generally a bunch of investing fads now where people cycle through a bunch of targets to try to get in before it takes off. We're in crazy town right now and the general frenzy is going to cause some surges (and then crashes whenever GME/AMC drop and people get skittish about meme investments).

There's generally a sentiment where something innocuous takes a life of its own, like protestors last summer posting stuff about "bait bricks" that didn't withstand any real scrutiny. WSB could be reacting strongly to some minor push, and doing it through a conspiracy lens.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I think there is a chance this is FUD, but also a chance this is news outlets trying to be early on the coverage of the next Reddit trading frenzy because they were so late to the Gamestop party. I would edit the title of this thread personally. It feels like this news headline is mostly false for whatever reason.

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
Uh oh boomers those crazy kids are about to make the price of silver skyrocket. Better get in now.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't coming from WSB, it's a diversionary tactic from the hedge funds. There are large posts on wsb from prominent members about this exact topic today.

I don't care if you believe it or not, just maybe don't go run out and buy silver.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Order flow does not support the statement. Silver Futures have not had a increase in small (retail) contract purchases.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Front page of wsb has been saying that this is fake news since early yesterday. I'm shocked to see so many news outlets push this bullshit in today's issue. I guess journalism means nothing nowadays.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread should be closed or the title changed. This is literally fake news.

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Order flow does not support the statement. Silver Futures have not had a increase in small (retail) contract purchases.
Spot price, futures, ETF index demand and silver mines share prices are up across the globe. Are these not fueled by retail investors?

Last edited:

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
This article heavily implies there is a movement within WSB to get silver going. This is fake news. Obviously when you've got a Reddit with over 5m members SOME are going to say to buy silver. Especially after it's seen some growth today. But that doesn't suddenly mean that WSB has set its sights on silver. Come on.

And if you want proof, why not just go to the Reddit yourself?

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
This article heavily implies there is a movement within WSB to get silver going. This is fake news. Obviously when you've got a Reddit with over 5m members SOME are going to say to buy silver. Especially after it's seen some growth today. But that doesn't suddenly mean that WSB has set its sights on silver. Come on.

And if you want proof, why not just go to the Reddit yourself?
The assumption that WSB can only have a single agenda or tactic isn't necessarily true. There may multiple groups with different and conflicting plans posting on there, as you say. It would not be easy to have consensus all the time in such a big community. Consensus on this being the wrong focus may have been formed after the fact, after this news story broke out. What matters is the origination of the initial market moves, which the article is saying points to WSB. If posts on WSB were not the source, then it's fair to say that these stories have jumped the gun. And I have no interest in reading WSB after reading that bile linked on the first page.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The assumption that WSB can only have a single agenda or tactic isn't necessarily true. There may multiple groups with different and conflicting plans posting on there, as you say. It would not be easy to have consensus all the time in such a big community. Consensus on this being the wrong focus may have been formed after the fact, after this news story broke out. What matters is the origination of the initial market moves, which the article is saying points to WSB. If posts on WSB were not the source, then it's fair to say that these stories have jumped the gun. And I have no interest in reading WSB after reading that bile linked on the first page.
So you won't go check wsb, but you feel the need to speak with authority about their intentions. Why did you make this thread then?

Feb 1, 2018
Citadel is a top five holder of $SLV (800M shares or something IIRC). They're pumping it to cover their losses on Gamestop. Don't get caught in the dump

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not speaking of their intentions, I'm presenting what The Guardian is presenting as the source of the recent spur in Silver prices.

Well, it's bullshit. Silver has not been a target for WSB at all, and has only been promoted by bots. There was a coordinated dump of all these stories about silver literally last night, out of nowhere.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know many are new to this but we really don't need a new thread every time WSB moves on to a new meme. This has been going on long before GameStop, it's not some revolutionary new occurrence that warrants continued coverage.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If there are bots posting about silver, you'd think it could be of great interest to regulators.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I know many are new to this but we really don't need a new thread every time WSB moves on to a new meme. This has been going on long before GameStop, it's not some revolutionary new occurrence that warrants continued coverage.

This thread is important, as it is 100% misinformation. It's good to let people know

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I feel like we should have an OT with threadmarks and a dynamic title that's updated by mods.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The silver situation definitely reeks of people who know their shit taking advantage of people who don't, far more so than with $GME. There are just so few upsides to it for amateur investors. I'm sure there will be numerous sketchy meme stocks that will come and go in the near future and get a lot more attention that wsb's usual antics.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree, but this isn't even wsb. It's astroturfing from Citadel and Era is now helping to promote it.

Of course, the basic rule of thumb should be "don't take investment advice from Era."

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Spot price, futures, ETF index demand and silver mines share prices are up across the globe. Are these not fueled by retail investors?
No. Just looking at the market cap of Silver already tells you everything you should need to know about this whole situation. Retail investors could NEVER drive the price of silver up this much. This is whale territory.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Silver is on the rise for sure, and has been since before the GME squeeze.
However, this is being pushed heavily by the media in an attempt to divert attention/money away from GME.

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, but this isn't even wsb. It's astroturfing from Citadel and Era is now helping to promote it.

Of course, the basic rule of thumb should be "don't take investment advice from Era."
This is not meant to be an investment advice thread. It's not framed as such. In any case, it's up to the mods to do what they like with the thread.