• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I have yet to play Mania, bought it at launch but my backlog monster is forever at my heels. Still with Mania plus...i'll get the DLC to support it then give it a go.

Also that Amy Rose trailer was amazing lol!

Nov 18, 2017
Yeah, because we're all one-dimensional existences incapable of separating personal preference from the needs of any particular piece of work.

A fair point, but a dispassionate one. Mania's success is at it's core an appreciation of the classic games. So few people get to work on a project like that, it would be a waste if a single one of them were viewing it merely as a piece of contracted work.

If a writer on contemporary Simpsons' favourite episode was from season 23. That's a cycle that will only make more bad Simpsons.

Last edited:

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Oh trust me I appreciate the classic games. I'm not here to start some massive debate no one's going to win anyway, and I'm not at liberty to discuss details regarding the development of Sonic Mania - I just wanted to share the humor I found in the confident absolutism in your originally quoted post.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

I've still yet to play that one. Is it worth going back to for someone who didn't like the wii version?

A fair point, but a dispassionate one. Mania's success is at it's core an appreciation of the classic games. So few people get to work on a project like that, it would be a waste if a single one of them were viewing it merely as a piece of contracted work.

Well, your're talking to one of them, so...

Feb 13, 2018
Japan

It would be if a writer on contemporary Simpsons' favourite episode was from season 23. That's a cycle that will only make more bad Simpsons.
You seem to be under the impression that someone can't appreciate two separate experiences and not mix them together when making a game. If that concept is so foreign to you it might just be YOUR problem.

Am I lecturing a Sonic Mania dev on the merits of classic Sonic games? That would be tragic.
It is

OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I really hope it's not a member of the Sonic Mania dev team. Scratch that, I kind of do, because that would be a hilarious fail on my part.
Falk has worked not only worked on Mania, but Before The Sequel, After The Sequel, Unleashed Project, AND Spark The Electric Jester just to name a few titles...
I really hope it's not a member of the Sonic Mania dev team. Scratch that, I kind of do, because that would be a hilarious fail on my part.

Am I lecturing a Sonic Mania dev on the merits of classic Sonic games? That would be tragic.
WELP.

In short, you just did some "sonicsplaining" to a Classic Sonic team member.

Last edited:

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I've still yet to play that one. Is it worth going back to for someone who didn't like the wii version?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask since I had neither PS2 nor Wii around the time Unleashed came out, so I don't really have that specific benchmark for comparison.

While I eventually did go back and play most of the intervening games, after starting with Sonic 1 (PAL version help), I dropped the franchise around/after SA1 due to my entertainment becoming more PC-centric (yeahyeah SA2/Heroes were on PC) and then only reconnected with the franchise when I bought Sonic Unleashed on a whim... in 2011.

I felt it had just the right balance of whimsical vs serious in its story and an incredible art direction and soundtrack that still holds up today.

OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I'm probably the wrong person to ask since I had neither PS2 nor Wii around the time Unleashed came out, so I don't really have that specific benchmark for comparison.

While I eventually did go back and play most of the intervening games, after starting with Sonic 1 (PAL version help), I dropped the franchise around/after SA1 due to my entertainment becoming more PC-centric (yeahyeah SA2/Heroes were on PC) and then only reconnected with the franchise when I bought Sonic Unleashed on a whim... in 2011.

I felt it had just the right balance of whimsical vs serious in its story and an incredible art direction and soundtrack that still holds up today.
10 years Later, Unleashed is still a looker. The art direction ensured the game hasn't aged a day IMO.

Also, while we have you around here...

Any funny story behind the creation of "Adabuttstep"?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Ah, ok.
Damn. That's sad. So she isn't in the game?

Nope, she's not playable. That video is made by a fan btw, I thought it was official, very well done. Had me rolling.

Last edited:

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely , they are different games altogether that only shares the name and some "zones" and general story, i played them both and 360/ps3 is the superior version easily.

While some argue that "at least ps2/wii version didn't have medals collecting/hub worlds/plane levels" i would say that they don't really affect the game that much, in fact it enhances it over the point and click "hubs" in ps2 version, you feel like you are in a journey around the world with living towns.

Also no wii controls is a plus already, and werehog levels can actually be enjoyable if you get all his abilities unlike the complete turd of wii/ps2 version -remembers the bees and shudders- they should just be shorter levels and get rid of the awful battle theme that stuck on my head as i type this and i already regret talking about it.

i would do anything to get a game like Unleashed again, what a special game, flaws and all.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo Falk. Didn't know you in here but thanks for all the good games and curating dope soundtracks.

That 3d game you got is crazy bro. Crazy.

this thread has a post that went "YO SONIC DEV MEMBER, I'MMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT LIKING UNLEASHED MEANS YOU UNFIT TO MANAGE SONIC!"

I tried to do a kanye meme and failed [/spoiled]

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
As someone born in 1990, who grew up playing the classic games constantly on my Megadrive, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were absolutely mind blowing. Playing Sonic Adventure on my Dreamcast in 1999 is one of my all time favorite gaming memories.

They may not have aged well, but there isn't as clear a divide between classic and modern fans as you might think,
Same here and many people today just have piss poor memories. They can make the argument that they haven't aged well(and I disagree, they've aged better than many PS1 games), butmost people loved it back at release and those who didn't were in the minority. People were gushing over both Adventure games.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I think gushing is a bit too strong. I was not impressed at all by the camera when I got SA1 on the DC, and magazines of the time were generally in agreement. They kind of got a partial pass because they were Sega's first real attempt to bring the series into 3D, but when later games did not improve (and in some cases were even worse), that "pass" was taken away.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017

Tell me I'm not lecturing a Sonic Mania dev on the merits of classic Sonic games? That would be tragic.

This is hilarious indeed. I'm trying my best not to burst out laughing at work.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Are there new stages or just a few new characters?
at least Angel Island zone is here in some capacity, and from the OST listing looks like there is a new pinball bonus levels.
Also existing levels have new color schemes for different times of the day and tweaks to make it work for the new characters.
And actual level transition to all levels plus a boss makeover although this is a free update that will drop the day plus get released

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Same here and many people today just have piss poor memories. They can make the argument that they haven't aged well(and I disagree, they've aged better than many PS1 games), butmost people loved it back at release and those who didn't were in the minority. People were gushing over both Adventure games.
I don't think anyone is arguing that they aren't good for what they are, just that a lot of the things that make them what they are are adverse to what Classic fans like about Classic Sonic and that we should get both kinds of games without cross-pollution. You got a lot of people crying that they should stop shoehorning Classic Sonic into Modern games as well. This takes pressure off both sides to be like the other.

Ah gulp, I hope you can see the funny side. Sorry Falk - I'm a big fan of whatever you're doing with Mania.
To be fair, though, Falk worked on the music. He mixed and mastered the soundtrack.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, but by all that's holy, play the 360 version instead. PS3 experience is decidedly less smooth.

The framerate is uneven and the final stage has parts that crash the framerate so hard you can't even decipher how you fell into a pit. Not to mention it's uglier.