MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea who they were referring to as Flex and Jitters until I read more context. They're referring to Mighty (Flex) and Ray (Jitters). I have no idea where the nicknames came from.

I don't know why the OP decided to refer to them as Flex and Jitters, as if Ray and Mighty weren't obscure enough characters already

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
If they're keeping Classic & Modern separate, I doubt we're seeing Blaze in a future Mania.

I wonder if the Mania team will ever debut an original female character in their game. I know there's a negative stigma around new Sonic characters, but the Hard Boiled Heavies were great additions and the Classic Sonic brand doesn't purely need to be based around nostalgia and references.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the Mania team will ever debut an original female character in their game. I know there's a negative stigma around new Sonic characters, but the Hard Boiled Heavies were great additions and the Classic Sonic brand doesn't purely need to be based around nostalgia and references.
There's a stigma around the modern Sonic characters because their designs are so dumb. They'd look out of place in classic Sonic.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

As long as it doesn't have any references to anything sonic related from Sonic Adventures onwards, I don't mind them trying new stuff. Just don't want to see anything from 3D Sonic or Dimps Sonic.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't know why the OP decided to refer to them as Flex and Jitters, as if Ray and Mighty weren't obscure enough characters already
In the original canon for the Archie comics, they had those as nicknames.

And no, it's not relevant at all and they haven't actually used those nicknames for years.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I think Taxman and Stealth will get to it if/when they feel the time is right for such. Whenever that may be.

That said, I definitely would be all for them salvaging Classic Amy, Honey and Tiara, first and foremost. These characters already exist, and just are waiting for their chance.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think Taxman and Stealth will get to it if/when they feel the time is right for such. Whenever that may be.

That said, I definitely would be all for them salvaging Classic Amy, Honey and Tiara, first and foremost. These characters already exist, and just are waiting for their chance.

Who is Tiara...? Brb wikipedia'ing...

"Tiara Boobowski is a character created for the cancelled video games Sonic X-treme and Sonic Mars."

LOL come on.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

They already did; descriptions of Heavy Magician & Heavy Rider use feminine pronouns

If Mania continues as a series, I can see them adding more new characters, & that will eventually include more female characters, though. As of right now, ignoring the modern cast, the Archie cast, & the gender neutral-looking Heavies, all we have is Amy. Maybe Honey. Personally, I'd love to see Eggette/Omlette become canon, but I remember the issues Lab Zero faced with Juju too well, so I doubt they're making a fan character canon.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
If they want more female characters, they could use the monkey or rabbit from this Sonic 1 concept art. It's not like they've ever been fleshed out to have confirmed genders, and they'd still be classic characters.
latest

OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
They're all guys except Mina tho.
i0sh2.jpg

They won't go out of their way to bring back and change characters away from what they were in a licensed work of an original abandoned idea. Hell, Jitte- Ray kept his blue shoes!

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
MMX Legacy, Octopath Traveler, and now this all come out around the same time.. That's gonna be a good month for me right there.

Pengi

Nov 1, 2017

I think they should. Sonic Mania was largely about celebrating the 1991-1997 era of Sonic, so a new playable character wouldn't have been appropriate. A sequel, hopefully, would still keep the core gameplay intact, but be more like a true sequel successor to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Since a staple of the series was to introduce a new character with each game, it would only make sense to do so.

I fully expect Amy to be playable in Mania 2, but the Classic Sonic sub-brand could do with some more girl characters. I'd love to see what Tyson Hesse could whip up.

The big question would be, what could they add in terms of gameplay?

I really think they should go with an amphibian.

Talk to anyone who played the Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic games as a kid, and invariably they'll mention struggling with the water levels. Water levels are a staple of the series, and I love how Sonic 3 went even further by putting pools of water in levels that weren't fully water levels (Angel Island, Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base). So water should stay, but it would be a smart move to introduce a character suited for players who like 2D Sonic games, but struggle with the water sections.

A character who:
*Can breathe underwater, without air bubbles.
*Doesn't slow down underwater.
*Can swim, along with a dash attack.

The trade off, to prevent her from being overpowered, would be that she wouldn't have any special abilities on dry land, just the standards.

They could also add a female animal villain. It'd give the designer more freedom, since they wouldn't have to worry about them being a similar height to Sonic, how they'd roll into a ball etc.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I really think they should go with an amphibian.

Talk to anyone who played the Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic games as a kid, and invariably they'll mention struggling with the water levels. Water levels are a staple of the series, and I love how Sonic 3 went even further by putting pools of water in levels that weren't fully water levels (Angel Island, Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base). So water should stay, but it would be a smart move to introduce a character suited for players who like 2D Sonic games, but struggle with the water sections.

A character who:
*Can breathe underwater, without air bubbles.
*Doesn't slow down underwater.
*Can swim, along with a dash attack.

The trade off, to prevent her from being overpowered, would be that she wouldn't have any special abilities on dry land, just the standards.

So... Sonic-ized Froppy.

g6M6KkW.jpg

I'm down with that. Let's do it.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The thing to remember regarding Classic Amy is that she's only had one real game appearance: Sonic CD. Not couting spinoffs like Drift and R. In Sonic CD her role was that she fell in love with Sonic, followed him around, and got kidnapped by Metal Sonic and Eggman. This is the same role Tails had in Sonic 2 for Game Gear. Classic Amy is a blank slate and does not have to be the overbearing caricature of a girl her Modern incarnation was. Classic Sonic games should not have speech, so that alone will prevent that from happening. Just make her similar to Tails where she follows Sonic cuz she loves him but grows into her own strong individual capable of carrying her own.

As for Modern Sonic characters appearing in the Classic universe, I'm not a big fan. The Chaotix characters were already pushing it with the bad character designs and Modern character designs are worse. We already have so many Classic characters to utilize and excessive characters dilutes the games. Blaze isn't bad but she's just Sonic with a weaker version of Knuckles' glide. She's a bit overdesigned and would almost certainly require dialog. If any Modern characters were to be picked I'd pick her. Maybe ditch the fire powers.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
If you have choice it wouldn't really dilute anything.

Just pick the character you like and ignore the ones you don't.

Who cares. Like who cares if classic silver exists. Like who actually cares, it makes some happy, you can pick knuckles. Move on with your life

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
If you have choice it wouldn't really dilute anything.

Just pick the character you like and ignore the ones you don't.

Who cares. Like who cares if classic silver exists. Like who actually cares, it makes some happy, you can pick knuckles. Move on with your life
Because if they focus on a smaller cast they can make better level design that plays to all characters strengths and weaknesses and hold things together with a more coherent narrative that doesn't get excessively complex.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Because if they focus on a smaller cast they can make better level design that plays to all characters strengths and weaknesses and hold things together with a more coherent narrative that doesn't get excessively complex.
Then they could just include different classic versions of characters in different games and focus on that. Given the reaction to ray and mighty and the request for classic amy, odds are that might happen.

I don't think this is going to be the last mania, so what's the issue now?

Just pick the one you like

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Then they could just include different classic versions of characters in different games and focus on that. Given the reaction to ray and mighty and the request for classic amy, odds are that might happen.

I don't think this is going to be the last mania, so what's the issue now?

Just pick the one you like
Ray, Mighty, and Amy are classic. Everyone introduced through Chaotix is. I said that Classic characters should get preference over classic versions of modern characters and that we already have so many to choose from that adapting modern characters would be excessive. I suppose a way to handle it is to have a main game with certain characters and then additional characters just play the levels with no involvement with game scenario/no level transitions.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Ray, Mighty, and Amy are classic. Everyone introduced through Chaotix is. I said that Classic characters should get preference over classic versions of modern characters and that we already have so many to choose from that adapting modern characters would be excessive. I suppose a way to handle it is to have a main game with certain characters and then additional characters just play the levels with no involvement with game scenario/no level transitions.

I think the characters who should get preference are " Can we figure out a unique interesting gameplay thing we wanna do " and " Do people like this character " not some weird arbitrary concept of dilution. And again, just including different characters in different games solves your issue

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the characters who should get preference are " Can we figure out a unique interesting gameplay thing we wanna do " and " Do people like this character " not some weird arbitrary concept of dilution. And again, just including different characters in different games solves your issue

I don't think either posts are incorrect. With this title especially, they are highlighting a very purely classic aesthetic. I think we'll see more contemporary characters in a sequel. They just wanted to nail the foundation while adhering to the initial design ethos.

Some of the problem is Iizuka contriving Classic Sonic to a different dimension, so some of the characters may need re-introduction. But I don't see why Silver's powerset couldn't be fun and interesting a classic environment. I imagine him playing closer to a Freedom Planet character.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people complaining about 3d characters entering, the team that made this has same staff that worked on this to a degree:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the Japanese release comes bundled with the whole two disc OST! May have to triple dip. Lol

https://www.sonichq.net/article/Sonic-Mania-Plus-Soundtrack-Included-in-Japanese-Release
If this was included in the US version, I would gladly double dip considering I bought the collector's edition. We finally get a CD release with all the music, but it's only in Japan at the moment.

I'm also seeing there's certain bundles where you can get the physical game (not the LE) with stuff like a keychain, bandana, or chopsticks??

Nov 18, 2017
It's safe to say anyone who became a fan of Sonic for the post-1995 games, and especially anyone who thinks those characters or games are their favourite in the franchise... should not have any input into the direction of Sonic Mania Plus whatsoever. Sorry.

OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
It's safe to say anyone who became a fan of Sonic for the post-1995 games, and especially anyone who thinks those characters or games are their favourite in the franchise... should not have any input into the direction of Sonic Mania Plus whatsoever. Sorry.
Why is it safe to say? Why put the fans of later entries on a lower tier? Why do that to them? Why do that to yourself?

And yes, you should be sorry. "Classic" Sonic is a mere fraction of the stories franchise, only 4ish years worth of mainline entries. Lean, mean, eyes of green has been around for twenty years.

Nov 18, 2017
The reputation of those sorts of Sonic fans isn't good within the wider gaming community for a reason. Like of all the franchises to get invested in, you pick the green-eyed Sonic games!?

Those games, by and large, aren't good.

Sonic Adventure 1, Rush, Advance 1&2, Generations were all "ok" - but they're inferior to the classic MD games - most have major flaws. And some of the later character design is terrible - what they've done to Sonic's design is complete trash.

Colours and Unleashed may be ok too, I didn't play them personally, the rest are turkeys with Sonic 06 as a big fat cherry on top.

The love for the franchise stems from the classic games. Transplanting some of the newer, trash characters back into it would be a mistake. Sonic Mania presents an opportunity: an alternative timeline where Sonic sequels don't suck.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
As someone born in 1990, who grew up playing the classic games constantly on my Megadrive, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were absolutely mind blowing. Playing Sonic Adventure on my Dreamcast in 1999 is one of my all time favorite gaming memories.

They may not have aged well, but there isn't as clear a divide between classic and modern fans as you might think,

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

I agree with that part, but as someone who played Sonic the Hedgehog on release I'm sure there are people who became fans later and then went back to play the originals.

That said, all content in Mania and future games of the kind should be 8-32 bit era content or entirely new.

Nov 18, 2017
Realise I came across unecessarily hostile to latter day Sonic fans.

What I should have said was that Mania is a celebration of the classic games and a sort of "what if" continuation of them. I hope Mania 2 has all new stages and maybe slightly higher res graphics, but principally the same style of gameplay.

As a celebration of the classic games, characters who appeared in the later, very different style of games, probably wouldn't work or would carry negative associations.

I'd love to see more characters from canned games utilised - and as Amy Rose featured in CD she'd be fine in the game but I'd like them to update her design - from a gender politics point of view she is heavily dated.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I have terrible news for you about the people who made Sonic Mania

Edit: misread, I thought you said anyone who was a fan of the post 1995 games. I still disagree though, all that's needed is an understanding of the classic games.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So I just noticed something very interesting with the track listing on the Japanese site.

"Trap Tower - Pinball Bonus Stage"

So this could mean two things:

1.) HOLY CRAP A REMIX OF A SONG FROM SEGASONIC

2.) "Pinball Bonus Stage" could be referring to a new bonus stage when you enter the ring above a checkpoint post? Maybe one similar to the bonus stage in S&K?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I was born in 85 and grew up with Sonic. Born on Groundhog Day, which was Hedgehog Day in 1994 (best birthday ever). The direction they took things with Adventure with changes to character and world design and game design were so off-putting that I got a Playstation instead.

It's fine that people like them. They're good games (well, some of them). But after 23 years of not getting anything comparable to the designs of the Classic games I'd prefer that elements that made the series worse stay out. People that like the games that came after got way more games than I got, and they're not in danger of not getting more. Classic should keep it simple. No homing attack, no grinding, no overdesigned characters with complex abilities, simple stories.

I'm really happy with the tone of Mania and Sonic Mania Adventures so far and want them to continue with that direction.

For people complaining about 3d characters entering, the team that made this has same staff that worked on this to a degree:

That doesn't really help. Megamix is full of modern Sonic design choices that aren't good Classic design. Homing attack, air dash, speedboosters everywhere, too much emphasis on speed, level design is all over the place. Stuff like Megamix had me cautious about Mania but thankfully they stuck closer to the Classic games. Shadow looks particularly awful and out of place even in Megamix.

I don't see the point of adding modern characters when they'd have to be different characters from their modern counterparts anyway. All the stuff with humans everywhere and Space Colony Ark and Maria should be kept far away from Classic, so if they added Shadow they'd have to totally change him, and what's the point when we already have Mighty who is already basically Sonic with Shadow's color scheme and Espio. Hell, even make Fang playable if you want a character with a gun.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017

lmao

My favorite Sonic game, shortcomings and all, is Unleashed

Sorry.