• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
This Sonic will be Xmen Origins Deadpool level of bad, maybe we'll get another sonic movie in ten years with actual sonic making fun of it

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if we would have had a similar reaction if the Detective Pikachu movie was revealed just with a poster showing the Pikachu design

Possibly. Kinda like how the original reaction to Mario+Rabbids when some designs leaked was dreadful, then highly positive when the game was officially announced and we could see everything in context. Detective Pikachu was properly revealed, whereas the marketing for Sonic is off to a disastrous start.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a big part of it, maybe something no one wants to admit, is that Pokemon doesn't feel threatening because most people don't associate the brand with furry culture, so it's just a funky take on Pokemon. But given the history of Sonic, this design style seems to further encourage that aspect of the fanbase and it's making a lot of people on the internet insecure and upset because furry culture is looked down on and ostracized.

Maybe is that, but I just feel Pokémon design is not as radical than this, it's weird but the general proportions are maintained. This sonic instead has a way bigger jump on "realism" or rather is making it way more closer to an human.

If they made Pikachu a big muscular 2 meter tall humanoid reactions would be as bad.

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Laugh or say it looks stupid and ignore but anyone who is actually angry, upset or thinks they're entitled to a movie the way they want it needs to take a good hard look at themselves.

The constant hate and over analysing is disgraceful.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The poster is horrific. It triggers me, like holes trigger people with trypophobia. I am sitting right next to wall filled with various horror props from Freddy gloves to Jason masks (3 fucking masks just from Final Chapter alone). That design is horror. It's fucking Cronenbergesque. How the fuck they managed to fuck up so bad, we might never know. Fucking Michael Bay's Transformers and Ninja Turtles looked like ass. They missed the mark, but at least they didn't fucking give me chills.
This fucking thing will terrify kids. How in the fuck that design was ever greenlit?

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
tumblr_ozna6tmuPq1vg1enro1_500.gif
He was 100% in the right to respond the way he did.

But blocking and then deleting is not a good look.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The poster is horrific. It triggers me, like holes trigger people with trypophobia. I am sitting right next to wall filled with various horror props from Freddy gloves to Jason masks (3 fucking masks just from Final Chapter alone). That design is horror. It's fucking Cronenbergesque. How the fuck they managed to fuck up so bad, we might never know. Fucking Michael Bay's Transformers and Ninja Turtles looked like ass. They missed the mark, but at least they didn't fucking give me chills.
This fucking thing will terrify kids. How in the fuck that design was ever greenlit?
this is off topic but your room sounds sweet!

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Now I'm worried that due to the backlash they're gonna try to fix the design, like they did with Monster Trucks.

I want to see this movie in its purest and most terror-inducing form.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a big part of it, maybe something no one wants to admit, is that Pokemon doesn't feel threatening because most people don't associate the brand with furry culture, so it's just a funky take on Pokemon. But given the history of Sonic, this design style seems to further encourage that aspect of the fanbase and it's making a lot of people on the internet insecure and upset because furry culture is looked down on and ostracized.
No, no it really isn't. Even furries are horrified by this.

and furries are internet-wise more accepted than theryve ever been.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
The last decade has been so hard for sonic fans, sonic mania and generations where a nice bit of hope but now this... This is...

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
This prompted me to look at the pictures they've released of sonic.
I could not have imagined this abomination would be the look they would land on.

And their justification is something like 'we had to make these changes to him so that he fits into a,realistic world'.

Um, how about not putting sonic in a realistic world In the first place?

That's like saying 'well we had to make sonic look like a turd because otherwise he wouldn't fit into the setting of the world we decided on... which is a toilet. It's logic'

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
No. Its time to panic.

On a sidenote, people should be allowed to react the way they want. Everything gonna end in memes anyway.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I could not have imagined this abomination would be the look they would land on.

And their justification is something like 'we had to make these changes to him so that he fits into a,realistic world'.

That's like saying 'well we had to make sonic look like a turd because otherwise he wouldn't fit into the setting of the world we decided on... which is a toilet. It's logic'
To be fair. The real world is a pretty big thing in some of the games.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But they haven't released any pictures. And I'm pretty sure they haven't discussed any changes they've made to a character design they haven't even shown yet.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm relaxed, I'm just mind blown at how abysmal the brand management of such a popular IP can be after all these years.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, there's actually people upset about this? What are they worried about, the Sonic franchise going down the shitter?

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
I am surprised everyone is so up in arms by all this Sonic movie stuff, what did you expect other than a total shitstorm?