• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patentguy

Feb 28, 2024
Interesting tech.

A couple things to note - what we are looking at is still a patent application and not yet an enforceable patent. With the patenting process, there is no guarantee that an application will become a patent. Also, just because a patent application is filed, does not mean the tech will ever see the light of day. Companies (especially those with a lot of $) will sometimes just file to hedge their bets.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
Fuck it I'm disabled, I'll bite on this. Would love something like this when I get stuck for an hour at a puzzle sequence due to brain fog, or if I'm having a bad hand day and can't do a boss fight because pressing buttons too quick hurts my hands but want to see where the story goes. I'll be eager to see where this goes, though obviously I'd like this in addition to stuff like difficulty options and press hold instead of rapid tap

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
Well, any new feature is a new word to use in game languages. Let's see where the best minds take it. One can envision the fun subversions and developments a game couls have based on this.

For instance: as soon as it's made to mimic the player's style, you can turn it into a storytelling device: imagine a game innwhich training a copy of youbis the whole point, or a horror game about a doppelganger that takes your place when you're not looking.

I hope someone does that kind of thing. The usual discussion about it is very boring.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
This was the first thing that came to my mind. If your game has grindy parts that aren't fun, shouldn't you, like, remove those parts?

While I think this is obvious I don't think a lot of people agree on what grindy or fun mean. Plenty of games where people have said it's got a lot of tedious grinding but I've found the gameplay great and didn't mind playing more to achieve bigger rewards. Other times I've found something tedious and grindy when others have said they thought it was perfect. These things aren't one size fits all.

I think it's easy to dismiss this but I can see lots of potential applications. Why not have an option to jump to level 15 to open the next world? I mean it isn't something I would use personally but that doesn't mean no one would.

Even games that most people hold in high regard might have a section or two where people wish they could skip. Seems like just another accessibility/convenience option and more options are never bad.

At one point you couldn't fast forward with movies but who would ever want to go back to a time when you didn't have the option to jump past a time? Or skip a song? We already have "move past this for me" in other forms of entertainment I think it makes sense for gaming as well.

we already have adjacent things in the sense of choosing a chapter or section in many games. Most games have cutscene skipping options.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
I'd say the question is less "in what scenario would I want this for me" than "in what scenario would others want this".

Offhand I'd guess people who could use more accessibility, little kids (the kind who thought they were playing demo mode back in the arcade days), people who are new to games, people who just want to experience it like watching a streamer, people in a hurry, people who JUST FUCKING HATE THAT ONE PART, etc.
You're right. That was ignorant on my part.

Thanks for your comment.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Could be super valuable for accessibility if they allowed it to take control of only certain aspects of the game. For instance just movement and you do the shooting in an FPS.

AI co-pilot.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
In the next God of War, 0.352 seconds after finding a puzzle Atreus will elbow Kratos out of the way and directly solve it himself

beebop

May 30, 2023
How would this not be an accessibility option?
What they'd be doing, here, is offering no way for a disabled person to interact with a section they're struggling with. "Oh you're never going to be able to do this, so we'll do that for you" is quite patronising, actually. Having the game give them tools to play with reduced input, but still actually play is what all games should do.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I feel like tech companies register patents like this fairly often and it rarely goes anywhere.
"We thought of an idea, better patent it before anyone else does".

beebop

May 30, 2023
I feel like tech companies register patents like this fairly often and it rarely goes anywhere.
"We thought of an idea, better patent it before anyone else does".
Thing is this isn't even new. This is literally what MS did with drivatars in Forza maybe 15 years ago, where you could train an AI to race like you and then do the races you didn't want for a rewards penalty.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
What they'd be doing, here, is offering no way for a disabled person to interact with a section they're struggling with. "Oh you're never going to be able to do this, so we'll do that for you" is quite patronising, actually. Having the game give them tools to play with reduced input, but still actually play is what all games should do.
Some players want this option? It already exists with "skip puzzles," "auto complete QTEs," "hints," etc. As long as it doesn't replace other options I don't see how its not just another option for players to choose.