• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox one too. A friend asked for a refund and she got it less than 5 minutes after submitting the request.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
While it's inexcusable releasing this on base consoles in this condition, some of the comments here saying look at tlou2 or GoT are not being fair. Consider the scope, scale, number of NPCs, level of detail between CP and those games, not comparable on any scale.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
While it's inexcusable releasing this on base consoles in this condition, some of the comments here saying look at tlou2 or GoT are not being fair. Consider the scope, scale, number of NPCs, level of detail between CP and those games, not comparable on any scale.
Okay. Then take a look at GTA V, or Ghosts of Tsushima, Red Dead Redemption, or even the Witcher 3...... On switch. All of these, look better than what CP is packing(even on better hardware than switch). Like, man. Its such a bad look from a horrible company.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Okay. Then take a look at GTA V, or Ghosts of Tsushima, Red Dead Redemption, or even the Witcher 3...... On switch. All of these, look better than what CP is packing(even on better hardware than switch). Like, man. Its such a bad look from a horrible company.
No doubt it's bad, just saying the comparisons are unfair given none of those games are on the same scope and detail as CP. I am hopeful things will look a lot better in 6 months or so from now (their excellent post launch support speaks for itself).

MS and Sony also should be questioned on how they allowed these to clear their QC.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Good that people are getting refunds. The base console version of this is one of the worst games of the generation.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

I see this come up a lot when talking about unpolished games. But at what point do we start criticizing developers for what can only be described as feature creep going too far with the end result being a product that doesn't do what's intended? Part II and GoT obviously don't have the scope of Cyberpunk, but they also work exactly as intended. They're two extremely polished games from top to bottom. You don't have to put a review caveat of "When everything is working properly..." to describe them.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
im playing on ps5 and ive just accepted each time i play it will crash like 2-3 times, thank god it autosaves aggressively.

that said, i knew something was up since they didnt show jackshit on consoles until like a week or two ago? i feel for any who has a base console and was hyped for this, it looks like a technical mess

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

What number of NPCs? on consoles this is severely less than on PC. level of detail is also non existent.

the problem besides ultra sloppy programming, bugs/glitches and false advertising as well as hiding the truth till the last minute: the biggest mistake they have made is building such an intricate city which is good for nothing, tanks performance on PCs and which is essentially the reason that it doesn´t even run properly on base consoles.

it is a prime example of false priorities and deceiving marketing. they played people like a damn fiddle. and besides that, it is bog standard game instead of being groundbreaking on any level.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised they pushed it out before holidays. This game would have been its own event no matter when it was released and it would have made billions of dollars either way.. If they had given it 4 more months to fix all these issues then they would have full control over the narrative around the release. Their employees are basically stuck fixing stuff, as far as I can tell.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smart move by ACG, Karak on here, a Youtuber review that I liked, he actually didn't take the review code and wait to review this shitty, homophobic, racist driven game.

This the same Karak who was recently banned on here, and said that transphobia is something no serious journalist would bother discussing? That Karak?

Anyway, my guess is that both MS and Sony were worried about their competitor having the console version available whilst they were still getting their version through certification, so they had blind faith in CDPR putting out a day 1 patch to fix most things. I suspect they may not get the same leniency when the PS5/Series X versions release after this...

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's really hard to take that apology seriously when they said it runs "surprisingly well" on base consoles like two weeks ago. We all know the real reason they didn't want to show footage of it on said consoles, we're not stupid.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
So the QA team gets to crunch more

What a shitshow

Still deceiving as fuck purposefully not giving reviewers the console copies. Reviewers asses showing they should absolutely do a review of the console versions

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
there should never been ps4/x1 versions

Heres hoping fromsoftware makes Elden Ring next gen only

They should have better targeted the PS4/Xbone versions but this is a game that started development 4-5 years ago. Not having versions for that generation of consoles was never an option. In addition, they would reasonably sell a lot of copies on those older platforms (why do people always forget or willfully ignore that the initial userbase for ps5 and Xbox series are tiny?). The scale of the game would have to have been massively reduced to match potential revenue levels if it were to target only next gen consoles and release near launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
their team will be stuck in crunch hell for another six months trying to get it into an acceptable state. it would have been better for everyone involved to delay this game until november 2021 at the earliest

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
They did not apologize for being liars and forcing out fake reviews to cover for the version of the game they lied about weeks ago.

Even not talking about their shortcomings in being bigoted asses, they still owe a lot to the community.

But of course some will drink it up because "The Witcher 3 had a bad launch" and will race to eat up all the bullshit.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
So the QA team gets to crunch more

What a shitshow

Still deceiving as fuck purposefully not giving reviewers the console copies. Reviewers asses showing they should absolutely do a review of the console versions
Not giving review copes AND saying the day one patch was a "different game". Super scummy behaviour.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Really does seem that CDPR should have cut their losses with Xbox One and PS4 and focused solely on next-gen. An A for Effort on making it happen, but it does seem quite clear that they were still not ready yet. A shame too considering the final delay made it seem that it was being done in order to prevent this from happening.

Of course, we'll be watching this like very closely to see what happens, but I can't say I blame anyone who has taken it upon themselves to ask for that refund if their experience with the game is a mess. I know if I never upgraded my PS4 to the Pro and chances are if I were to have gotten it for the base system, I probably would be in the same boat as everyone else: Asking for that refund.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Seems CDPR will give blanket refunds to anyone who wants them now.

Hey, guys. We're REALLY sorry that we released an incredibly broken game. We are also SUPER sorry that we deliberately obfuscated how broken it was, you know, so you wouldn't be able to make an informed decision before purchasing it. Don't worry, though. We are going to drive our staff into the ground trying to make it better. Don't you worry, none of these people will see their families for the next two months, as the REAL crunch is just getting started. We literally chained them to their desks! Hey, if you still don't trust us, you can return it or whatever. But don't you want to give Uncle CDPR a chance?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
b1d18daf-0ead-41a0-9tdkcs.jpeg

May 26, 2018
Hey, guys. We're REALLY sorry that we released an incredibly broken game. We are also SUPER sorry that we deliberately obfuscated how broken it was, you know, so you wouldn't be able to make an informed decision before purchasing it. Don't worry, though. We are going to drive our staff into the ground trying to make it better. Don't you worry, none of these people will see their families for the next two months, as the REAL crunch is just getting started. We literally chained them to their desks! Hey, if you still don't trust us, you can return it or whatever. But don't you want to give Uncle CDPR a chance?

wonder if they'll use that crunch token bullshit again

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I got a refund from MS after playing for nearly 5 hours. Bearing in mind this was a Saturday night and they had accepted my refund within 12 minutes of submitting it they must be just accepting all refunds for it now

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
That apology is laughable just from the standpoint that they didn't send reviewers console codes for a reason. They knew that they'd test out the base console versions and report on just how badly it ran. And potentially they'd factor that into their overall review which would assure that it'd drop below the 90+ Meta that CDPR delayed the game for in the first place.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
So after backlash they apologise for not showing the game running on consoles it was designed for...tell you to get your physical refund from who sold it to you (good luck) and you have a week to do it...?
Fuck this company

Sep 11, 2020
I've always had the impression that the certification process was not about deciding if the game is in a good enough state for release, but a check to see if it can brick consoles or has some exploit that can be used for consoles.

Seems CDPR will give blanket refunds to anyone who wants them now.

It's always hilarious to see this sort of apologies:

"Look, we knew all of this would happened, pushed the game regardless, hid the consoles versions performance so people wouldn't cancel their preorders. We did all this in purpose, we got your money, and we would do it again. But we'll say w are sorry, because we'd look bad otherwise.

But don't worry. We'll keep our employees on 16 hour shifts for another 3 to 6 months, because you're important to us and we want you to play the game.

Enjoy the holidays, everyone. Well, everyone but our employees. They'll be working their asses off because they want you to be able to enjoy the game we created. They're that passionate.

Humbly,

The people that won't crunch to death on the Holiday season.

PS: You have a week to ask for a refund, by the way. Not a month. Not until the game runs properly in your system. Just a week. Hopefully this won't become too viral and most people won't know.

PS2: The refund only applies if you play on consoles. We know your PC probably doesn't run this game properly, even if your card was supposed to do so. But we'll do nothing."

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
how much success are people seeing getting refunds for ps4 digital versions after downloading the game ?

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this company forever. They want to make it look like an "oopsie we didn't notice!".
No? In like 8 years of development you didn't see those console versions and thought "hm, this looks wrong". Not once?

This is straight out fraud, and it's not the first time either.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I see this come up a lot when talking about unpolished games. But at what point do we start criticizing developers for what can only be described as feature creep going too far with the end result being a product that doesn't do what's intended?

If you can't release a functional game with the scope that you're aiming for, reduce the scope until you can. That's Project Management 101.

And let's not pretend CP77 is this marvel of groundbreaking open world interactivity, full of lively and deep characters. Beyond a handful of NPCs, everyone else has not much more than a line of dialog and some script they run on continuously. The game has barely functional traffic AI, ffs.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
They didn't have the guts to cancel the old gen version and push the game to April. Instead they tried to hide it and planned to damage control later during the year.
The game has a shitload of potential, its production values are probably unmatched, but you can't shit on your clients like this. I hope some influencers come out with a video or something, this can't go unnoticed.

Oct 27, 2017
They should have better targeted the PS4/Xbone versions but this is a game that started development 4-5 years ago. Not having versions for that generation of consoles was never an option. In addition, they would reasonably sell a lot of copies on those older platforms (why do people always forget or willfully ignore that the initial userbase for ps5 and Xbox series are tiny?).

The scale of the game would have to have been massively reduced to match potential revenue levels if it were to target only next gen consoles and release near launch.
It was an option. They could have released this as a PC exclusive as they did for their games pre-'The Witcher 3'. They could have budgeted around a PC release as soon as they realised the scope was not feasible for consoles to handle; they didn't do that.

They instead chose to willingly release a broken game and took actions to deliberately mislead customers and investors on the state of the game out of greed. Even if too much work had been done to simply cancel it, they have a moral responsibility not to release and sell people a broken product. It doesn't matter how much sales they would have lost by delaying or cancelling the console release, they should have done it as it's their own poor project management which got them into that situation.

EDIT:

No doubt it's bad, just saying the comparisons are unfair given none of those games are on the same scope and detail as CP. I am hopeful things will look a lot better in 6 months or so from now (their excellent post launch support speaks for itself).

MS and Sony also should be questioned on how they allowed these to clear their QC.

As far as scope goes, it has very little of the scope of Red Dead Redemption 2. Yes they have a larger scope solely in terms of population density, but it doesn't even touch the scope in terms of things like the AI, the performance, the world size, interactivity, animation breadth, etc.

Last edited:

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the retailers knew it was going to be a shitty product when they sold the physical version for 39,90 over here. No wonder Sony is issuing refunds for digital versions, PS4-version is terrible.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any other industry which actively chooses to release products to market knowing they are not fit for purpose?

I get deadlines but if a product isn't ready surely its better to not release it until it is.