• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
What are you going on about launchers, stores, VR still going, Quest selling out for?

I'm talking about the OS, the operating system. MS is just bolstering the platform to ensure there isn't a drift. There was an idea 5-10 years ago before MS went all accommodating to maybe steer away from Windows for general PC gaming.

Actually, that did happen? The ended Games for Windows live like in 2011-2012. No one was using it, and it was broken to an extent. They basically killed their own brand of games on PC. Then tried to have a shitty app store with Windows 8, which then they tried to sell on phones with game/apps. No one cared, it didn't sell, they ate the cost of 3+ billion for Nokia.

So they leveraged xbox to be where their games go, then the whole gen blunder happened. They have been trying to rebuild their OS blunder on windows 8 which rolled into Xbox One launch time.

The weird drift was their own doing, on top of them not giving a shit to fix anything under Balmer's rule. SO now it's catch up, because PC moved on beyond windows.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember the days(from the late 80s) we waited for the next-gen consoles to play next-gen games. How is this an anti consumer thing now? Specifically for this new generation?

Is it because of Microsofts decision to not have next-gen games for the first two years? Or is something else I can't get it?
It's pretty weird.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
After the 2 years of cross gen titles on the Series X, I can't wait for the same sentiment to arrive around Microsoft when they finally start requiring the next gen Xbox with their games. Sony is just doing it 2 years earlier.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the definition of "Anti-consumer" according to Merriam-Webster is not favorable to consumers. Improperly favoring the interests of businesses over the interests of consumers.

So I'd say it fits the definition well in the case of money hatting third party exclusives.

That's so broad though because again, by that definition, most things a company does don't 'benefit' the consumer.

Companies don't exist to do things that benefit every consumer on the planet, regardless of what services, platforms and products they own. It's to create their own customer bases, maintain and serve them.

What is anti-consumer is doing things that conflict with consumer rights and broader societal ethics. Paying money to create software exclusivity deals isn't any of those things - it's just an inconvenience for consumers who use competing platforms and services.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
LMAO I knew someone would do that.

But in all seriousness, if the argument was going the other way I would say the same thing.

People complaining about how worthy something is or an article being written about it like it someone affects their own lives or puts them out. Dont wanna read? Dont.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only buy consoles for exclusives, so it's actually pro consumer. Desperate port beggars aren't owed every game on one console.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
This is like one of those ubiquitous Buzzfeed articles on the topic of "Some people are Mad About Thing" and then cite like two Twitter randos with a dozen likes on their tweets.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Anti-consummer has lost it's meaning now being used for everything that some people don't like

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
what if the third party told you that the money hat funded the game?

Then that technically still falls under category one. Now, when it comes to a situation like what Epic did with 'Control,' where Remedy's EGS-exclusivity recouped like a third of the game's budget, then I don't blame them for making it. I still say that kind of deal is anti-consumer, though.

I think people need to realize that it's possible to both understand why companies make these kinds of deals, and that it sometimes makes business sense for them to do so, while also understanding how it's bad from a consumer standpoint.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
You seem upset that they wrote an opinion that disagrees with you. Where's the maturity in that? You don't get to request a website to be banned without good reason.
Requesting a ban on a website that when you scroll through there past articles written have a huge bias slant/agenda (putting it nicely) can only add a bit of integrity to a good faith arguement in my opinion. Saying I seem upset and I should be banned, I would expect nothing more from you at this point honestly.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen one person say it's anti-consumer, seen more people complaining about these people.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Requesting a ban on a website that when you scroll through there past articles written have a huge bias slant/agenda (putting it nicely) can only add a bit of integrity to a good faith arguement in my opinion. Saying I seem upset and I should be banned, I would expect nothing more from you at this point honestly.
I didn't say you should be banned. I'm not the same poster who originally quoted you. Multiple people quoted you. Try again, Master Chief.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I didn't say you should be banned. I'm not the same poster who originally quoted you. Multiple people quoted you. Try again, Master Chief.
My mistake. Name calling now? Are you going to say my mom is upset next? Really I would love to know what off topic zingers you might through at me next?

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just own all consoles and stop being a fanboy for companies because that is for idiots.

I solved the issuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
After the 2 years of cross gen titles on the Series X, I can't wait for the same sentiment to arrive around Microsoft when they finally start requiring the next gen Xbox with their games. Sony is just doing it 2 years earlier.

Sony isn't requiring next-gen only games. They are developing PS5 exclusives. Sony won't require games to be next-gen only, ever. Neither will Microsoft.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
I don't know if its anti-consumer, but I know its disrespectful to their newer customers. Someone may have just been able to afford a PS4 this year yet they may (arbitrarily) not have anymore new release games made for it after this year. Guess they should get a 2nd job and save for PS5.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
oRvZruv.png

low effort edit

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I don't know if its anti-consumer, but I know its disrespectful to their newer customers. Someone may have just been able to afford a PS4 this year yet they may (arbitrarily) not have anymore new release games made for it after this year. Guess they should get a 2nd job and save for PS5.
Well, Ps5 is no secret, you buy a Ps4 knowing that it will "only" play Ps4's games.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Having a brief skip through their site, and it's not really any better or worse than your average single platform centric tech or gaming site. So if the slant (eg preference towards covering a particular platform) is what you'd deem worthy of being bannable, then surely the same should apply across the board to every single fan site or site that focuses on predominantly one platform or company, including Era's very own XboxEra fan site?

Generally a site covering or favouring one particular platform or another doesn't automatically make it bannable (it that were the case a huge number of the sites regularly posted in threads or as sources on Era would be banned), instead bans for sites are usually handed out when a site has a history of misinformation, lies, false claims, racism, bigotry etc.

Last edited:

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mistake. Name calling now? Are you going to say my mom is upset next? Really I would love to know what off topic zingers you might through at me next?
Where's the name calling? You're trying too hard to make it seem like people here are attacking you. Why would you bring your mom into this when no one else did? You came in here to thread whine and trash Push Square journalists for writing an article you didn't agree with, and then got extremely defensive over it. You're not dragging me down with you. If you don't like Push Square threads, don't click on them. There's nothing wrong with them sharing their opinion.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Then that's not a "money hat", it's funding.

A lot of the time 'moneyhats' end up contributing heavily towards marketing budgets and other promotional requirements, if not the development of the game itself.

There's this weird perception that it simply goes into the third parties' back pocket when it usually contributes to some kind of necessary cost associated with developing or releasing the game.

Obviously a lot of big publishers don't need that capital, but if a platform holder is offering cash to aid you in publishing, distributing or marketing an upcoming project that it's an attractive proposition.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imo Halo Infinite should have been a XSX exclusive. I bet Sony is keeping Horizon 2 and God of War 2 PS5 exclusive.

The question is: Will they be better games for it?

Feb 10, 2018
When a company makes a choice which benefits them at the expense of consumer, that is anti consumer. However it won't be known for some time if a company does this.

Eg a game halfway through development on current gen, current version gets canned in order to make it exclusive on next gen to make that new platform more enticing.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Then that's not a "money hat", it's funding.

and how are we as consumers supposed to know the difference? By trusting the word of the companies that are "anti-consumer"?

the end result to the consumer is the same. The only difference is how it's being spun to fit a narrative and/or agenda.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Are you serious?

Genuine question because I cant tell.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Imo Halo Infinite should have been a XSX exclusive. I bet Sony is keeping Horizon 2 and God of War 2 PS5 exclusive.

The question is: Will they be better games for it?
The later 2 would have likely started as games developed for PS5 (or well more likely a PC targeting PS5 specs). Halo Infinite was announced before XSX wasn't it? Them doing a "sike, it's next gen launch day exclusive and also on PC now" would probably just piss people off.