• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I find it curious with these numbers Rocket League doesn't have the cultural appeal of Minecraft, or Fortnite. It's like the NCIS of gaming with these numbers, a metric ton of people play it but somehow noone talks about it nowhere near to the same degree.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering all the drama around it, 400k for Fallout 76 is pretty interesting.

FF15 is 2.2 million between Europe and Australia I think is pretty accurate. Doesn't include Japan or North America, and I think that Square Enix was trying to target NA especially.

Only 6 million for RDR2 is surprising, with all the hype it got I was expecting more into the 12 million range. I guess most players are on Xbone? And I wouldn't think that so many people are still playing AssCreed Syndicate or BF: Hardline either. And for that matter, only 9million for Cod Black Ops?

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
weren't these numbers already seen as being inaccurate with too many inconsistencies with released sales numbers?

Also did they ever get My PS4 Life working in the NA/US.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
It's really sad to see that kind of number for a game like Deus Ex and it's still considered a poor seller. That's just the numbers for the PS4 alone, but I guess if the game started selling at $5.00, or it was a PS+ offering, maybe the number of players shot up millions after that.
It's players, also was on PS plus.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For just Europe and Australia? That's pretty good
That's because it's based on an individual trophy list and FFXV's playerbase is split between five trophy lists

EU, NA, JP, Mainland China, and Asia
For a single format in Europe and Australia only they're pretty high. Total sales are almost at 9 million.

Welp that changes everything, thought it was WW

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
6m players for RDR2 on PS4 alone sounds right

It really doesn't. They shipped 17M over a month ago and the PS4 version accounts for at least 2/3 of sales WW. I think PS4 RDR2 should be way over 10M players by now.

Anyway, the lack of clarity just shows how pointless this is for trying to get a sense of sales. There's all kinds of variables and inaccuracies. Best to not think too much about any of the numbers, it just gives a general sense of how games are doing.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time believing that Fallout 76 couldn't sell a couple million copies based purely on marketing and the strength of the IP.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
What's the loc cost though? Also, I bought it at launch, but haven't gotten around to playing it, so folks like me wouldn't be counted, even though I did my part and spent money on it.
+1 for bought it but haven't played it yet. Sitting sealed in a box still.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
No way did Mankind Divided sell 4mil copies, Square would have had a sequel in the works right now.

Oct 26, 2017
People playing a game does not equal copies sold. The only thing you can say definitely is that there are less copies sold than people recorded playing it

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
so they're looking at rarest trophy - did they spot-check and validated at least 2 trophies for each game for the numbers to match?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
No way did Mankind Divided sell 4mil copies, Square would have had a sequel in the works right now.

Nah it couldn't have. Had to be rental/used copies. I saw this thing on sale for ps4 for 5 bucks at a mom and pop store less than 6 months after release.

Edit: poster here noted it was a ps+ freebie so it makes sense

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time believing Hardline has 6 million people playing. I can't find a full game to save my life, which is a shame, because it's secretly Bad Company 3 and it really fucking rules.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Is this worldwide cause wasn't the My PS4 life thing only on the EU site?

Timurse

Oct 28, 2017
Moscow, Russia
You do know, that there are TONNS of people playing in "doubles", when they cross-activate their accounts on their friend's console and buy / play games together? So the unique players data is way off to the sales data (especially that's ehy FIFA has such crazy numbers).

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Does this include demos?

Nope, since demos don't have trophies (and are treated as a separate product anyway). What it does include is PS Plus games, so adjust accordingly for games that have been given on it.

No offline players. And there are a lot of them out there still.

I know literally not a single person that has its PS4 off their wifi. There may be a lot of them in absolute numbers, but as a percentage they're probably not meaningful at all.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
These numbers have to be inaccurate. Shenmue 1 & 2 sold around 50k physical copies just in Japan (without digital). There is no way in this world that the game sold a combined 50k for the rest of the world including physical and digital.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If these numbers are even close to true...

Fallout 76 is a disaster. Black Ops 4 is way behind WWII.

GT Sport is actually doing alright though. The need for speed games do well for some reason.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue I & II: 42,800

Ok, sadly, I totally believe that spot-check.
Shenmue 3 had about 80K backers for its crowdfunding campaign, so <100K for the remaster version seems about right. They probably got most of the backers and probably a few curious people, and beyond that word of the barebones port probably killed sales.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Deus Ex has had 4 million players? On PS4 alone? Such a shame it's not getting a sequel.

Ah, free with PS Plus.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Can y'all leak some Bandai sales numbers? I'm really curious about how Digimon is doing.

Otherwise, 400k for Fallout 76 is even more devastating than I thought, if it's a real number.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Those Prey and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst numbers...
WHUvhiH.gif

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Shenmue 3 had about 80K backers for its crowdfunding campaign, so <100K for the remaster version seems about right. They probably got most of the backers and probably a few curious people, and beyond that word of the barebones port probably killed sales.
It's not accurate.
50k physical in Japan is already on record.
No way Japan digital + the rest of the world physical and digital = 50k

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Gran Turismo Sport 7,230,000 :D
I'm sure it's higher now but just a few months ago they released a statement saying it reached 5.5M players. It really shot up that much more since then??! Idk. If true it has had to have sold over 6.5M now which is good considering it isn't heavily bundled or given away free in a subscription like game pass.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not accurate.
50k physical in Japan is already on record.
No way Japan digital + the rest of the world physical and digital = 50k
What makes you think that's impossible, though? If Yakuza 6 is only doing 186K outside of Japan, it stands to reason that a remaster of a much less popular IP might not be doing gangbusters either.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
What makes you think that's impossible, though? If Yakuza 6 is only doing 186K outside of Japan, it stands to reason that a remaster of a much less popular IP might not be doing gangbusters either.
Even if we use 30% digital ratio for Japan's physical that would total 65k. I just find it REALLY hard to believe the rest of the world physical + digital is 35-40k. Maybe these are play counts without the Japanese numbers which would make a little more sense.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
19 million for Fortnite seems way too low for me. It's free and there are 80 million PS4s out there. I would've expected 30 million as a low TBH. A few others seems suspect too.
Don't you need to pay for it for the trophy list to show up?
I remember playing a little and the trophy set didn't show up on my account

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Just built mine video and shed light into the total number of players of Yakuza Kiwami 2: 70620. Tropy Group NPWR14695_00

Of course, that does not count the sales of Ryuu Ga Gotoku Kiwami 2 in Japan (which just in the first week sold already almost 130000), but I wonder if that is also counting both US/PAL regions...