• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I think that goofy headline is actually the truth. There probably is a ton of people who are interested but understandably tripping on spending $300 for a thing that might become obsolete.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some really bad takes in this thread, People forgetting it's only been 2.5 years for PSVR, Brand new tech, Held back by base PS4 and 9 year old moves.

And yet still it managed to give me my best gaming experiences this gen by far, RE7 alone justified it.

Going forward being supported by PS5 is perfect, We get more power and not stripped back games, and we get PSVR2 in a few years for 2nd gen VR.
No I get that. I just think it's a hard sell, when PSVR has really truly just starting to get off the ground comparative to it's counter parts in the PCVR space and wasn't really designed with forward momentum in mind. I think while they sold a lot this gen, as a result they'll sell a lot less of the second gen sets because it's a hard sell to ask people to shell out again, to finally get a sufficient setup. Suddenly PSVR is one of the more expensive VR ecosystems to be in. Rift is still sufficient, Vive is still sufficient etc. It's not the best, but they followed in line with the goals of VR from day one. Where as Sony broke off to portray themselves as the bang for buck option. But personally I think Oculus has had that trophy on that one for a while. Even though I'm not exactly happy with their behavior around VR exclusivity either.

I think I'm just bugged by the narrative that was pervasive, when not looking at it holistically. But was easy to see from day one.

At least in happy to see they are still supporting the standard PSVR going forward. The question will be, will the software. As most is third party. Since it holds back design.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, the biggest "problem" is that it's just sub-par hardware. 960 × 1080 pixels resolution per eye - lol. Don't get me wrong, price/value is reasonably good, but it's still a lackluster VR experience.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, the biggest "problem" is that it's just sub-par hardware. 960 × 1080 pixels resolution per eye - lol. Don't get me wrong, price/value is reasonably good, but it's still a lackluster VR experience.

For tech enthusiasts maybe, Who need the latest and greatest, But in no way shape or form is it a lacklustre experience, Like that's such bad feedback to say it's borderline trolling. People jumping aboard with PSVR when PS5 comes out will have a game changing experience like we all did/do.

All we have ever needed is new controllers and more power which the PS5 will have.

No I get that. I just think it's a hard sell, when PSVR has really truly just starting to get off the ground comparative to it's counter parts in the PCVR space and wasn't really designed with forward momentum in mind. I think while they sold a lot this gen, as a result they'll sell a lot less of the second gen sets because it's a hard sell to ask people to shell out again, to finally get a sufficient setup. Suddenly PSVR is one of the more expensive VR ecosystems to be in. Rift is still sufficient, Vive is still sufficient etc. It's not the best, but they followed in line with the goals of VR from day one. Where as Sony broke off to portray themselves as the bang for buck option. But personally I think Oculus has had that trophy on that one for a while. Even though I'm not exactly happy with their behavior around VR exclusivity either.

I think I'm just bugged by the narrative that was pervasive, when not looking at it holistically. But was easy to see from day one.

At least in happy to see they are still supporting the standard PSVR going forward. The question will be, will the software. As most is third party. Since it holds back design.

PSVR2 is a good few years away hence the support for PSVR, Sony like Cerny said are committed and excited about VR, It's a marathon and new tech, Getting VR in homes is the first step and supporting PSVR with the power of PS5 is huge news, The need for better controls Is a must.

Occulus have the quest coming soon, 6Dof is just amazing, It's standalone and have PSVR like visuals apparently or slightly less. That's going to be the best incling of mainstream appeal due to its console like plug/play nature. If that does really well then Sony will
No doubt follow suit with PSVR2 and will have there studios to craft some unique games for it like they have done for PSVR, And money hatting third party like RE7.... Which was pathetic to do considering VR needs as much audience as possible!

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dig PSVR but its a pain with all the cables and finding a spot in my entertainment center. If they can figure it out for version 2, thank god.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
move controller - basically supports position and rotation in 3D space, a trigger and some buttons. Those would all be pretty much default features of any PSVR2 controller, but with much more robust tracking
It'll be up to devs/publishers which PSVR they want to support or not. Like cross-gen console games - sure, they're 'held back' by the last gen machine. But more and more you get stuff targeting only the newest generation of tech.

I suppose as always it is dictated by the pace of market transition to the new hardware. The better Sony supports PSVR now and in the next couple of years, the more likely that audience is to buy into a new PSVR2 generation sooner, IMO. It's an early adopter audience, relatively small, and probably relatively hungry for improvement. So if you balance that early adopter hunger for novelty and improvement, with faith that Sony will support PSVR2 well given a good track record with PSVR, then I think ongoing support and support onto the PS5 will actually ultimately accelerate PSVR2's adoption rate and the pace that the bulk of the market and the software moves onto that tech exclusively.
These are both really poor comparisons. It's not just that tracking is inaccurate with PSVR 1.0, it's that it's literally using a single position to track some balls on a ps move controller. The types of experiences you can have on a PSVR are technologically limited because of that. It's not the same as 'well the graphics are worse' like a cross-gen game. It's "Hey, you literally can't have room scale"

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yea it's great, but I never doubted it anyway. If they wanted it to be the future, they had to do it.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
VR biggest problem is the lack of AAA productions for it, by SONY own In-House studios. It's very much like the Mega CD. When most of SEGA's time and effort was on the Mega Drive at the expense of the add-on (bar a few amazing titles) It's pretty much the same for SONY VR even down to the ratio of users who buy the add-on :)

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

I was surprised how good PSVR looks compared to an expensive PC when I tried PCVR a few weeks ago.
Thought always there are worlds between the two but....LOL

And PCVR has mostly only low budget experiences but PSVR gets stuff like RE7, Astro Bot or Iron Man VR...
Very lackluster xD

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
These are both really poor comparisons. It's not just that tracking is inaccurate with PSVR 1.0, it's that it's literally using a single position to track some balls on a ps move controller. The types of experiences you can have on a PSVR are technologically limited because of that. It's not the same as 'well the graphics are worse' like a cross-gen game. It's "Hey, you literally can't have room scale"

I think there are some games that won't need the technology of the newer generation, that can be 'cross gen'. But if a new generation offers something that most or all games really need to adopt, that will only hasten the software transition IMO. I don't think devs will hold on to the idea of supporting the first gen for very long if an audience is building on the new generation and their vision really needs what it has to offer.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't. You can't completely turn around and it lacks roomscale.
That's still not what 6DOF defines. The controllers are tracked in angle and position on 3 axes each, full 6DOF by definition. The range isn't part of that.

You can of course say PSVR lacks room scale and 360° tracking (for the controllers), that's a well known fact. But room scale is way overrated IMHO anyway, because only a handful of people have the room to scale in the first place.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Personally I never really cared about BC ,but for any kind of VR support I'm all for it, even tho I don't have VR yet but Im a believer of the VR future.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Roomscale would just be a hardware capability to tick off to insure people can devote as much space as they'd like to move around in without hiccups. Games like Superhot really benefit from having 7 or 8 feet wide/deep of open floor- IF you're using a roomscale-capable VR system. Otherwise on PSVR there's a loss of tracking if you get too close, too far, or turn around.

Roomscale will also be universally beneficial for the ability to turn for real instead of relying on a button or thumbstick.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018

Additionally obviously the controllers just aren't sufficient lol.

I have owned all the major VR headset including PSVR btw. So I'm just speaking from my experience.

I own all 3 as well (and an Oculus Go). PSVR is definitely 6dof. It's tracking isn't necessary the best (and isn't officially "room scale"), but it definitely supports all 6 degrees of movement (forward/back, up/down, left/right, yaw, pitch, roll).

Things like the Oculus Go or Samsung Gear VR aren't 6dof.

Oct 25, 2017
The PSVR BC was the best news for me to come out of the PS5 article. It gives the current headset more lifespan, and ensures that I can mostly keep using it and upgrade to the newer headset at my own pace.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I really hope Sony is able to make PSVR2 an inside out headset at an affordable price.

1) New Move controllers (analog sticks and better tracking)
2) Better display (higher res and wider fov)
3) inside out tracking
4) Single cable to PS5 and no breakout box

Those things with a $299 price I'd upgrade day 1.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Resolution never occurred to me as a problem in PSVR, the wires are the problem.
But thats based on me playing about 60 hours of Beat Saber and 40 hours of Wipeout Omega Collection in VR and both those games have visuals that leave nothing to be desired.
Maybe in other games resolution would stick out more.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
It's a huge relief to be sure and really makes adoption of the new console a much easier sell to me.

I do hope they somehow improve tracking and have new controllers in the works.

As for the resolution, even now it's actually quite nice. I've used both psvr and vive and in game the difference wasn't as great as id feared. Sony's got some amazing lenses and I actually preferred them to vives.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Additionally obviously the controllers just aren't sufficient lol.

I have owned all the major VR headset including PSVR btw. So I'm just speaking from my experience.

Roomscale isn't 6DOF.

You can turn 180 with PSVR and look directly behind you. Some games even require it.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
You can turn 180 with PSVR and look directly behind you. Some games even require it.
Not with a motion controller. Sure you can resort to artificial turning so you're always facing forward, but I would never resort to that on Vive because a more natural and immersive form of turning is available in my feet.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The continuity is so important, but frankly I don't see it so much as a decision to be celebrated so much as to be expected. I can't even imagine how awful it would have been if Sony decided to pass on BC for either the PS4 library or VR hardware. Developers who invested themselves in the medium deserve this support, bar minimum.
Expected? Backwards compatibility is super rare in new generations. Passing on backwards compatibility for a new console is the norm.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Not with a motion controller. Sure you can resort to artificial turning so you're always facing forward, but I would never resort to that on Vive because a more natural and immersive form of turning is available in my feet.
This is how I play RE7 on PSVR. Just by turning my body. PSVR headset has 360 tracking, but unfortunately the controllers do not.

Depends on the game as to how much of a problem it is though based on how they choose to work around it's limitations.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be interested to see what happens with the camera. Will the PS5 continue to use it and have the special port, or will there be a new, better camera you have to get?

A little late but expect them to use an adapter. Microsoft did the same with Kinect and Xbox One

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

What? I assure you that you can rotate your view 180 degrees, by rotating your body or head.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
It's a huge relief to be sure and really makes adoption of the new console a much easier sell to me.

I do hope they somehow improve tracking and have new controllers in the works.

As for the resolution, even now it's actually quite nice. I've used both psvr and vive and in game the difference wasn't as great as id feared. Sony's got some amazing lenses and I actually preferred them to vives.
I also prefer the PSVR image quality to the Vive. I might prefer it over the Rift even... RGB sub-pixel structure really made a difference to me.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Ideally (for me), the PS5 VR would just be the current version of the headset, but just with a better camera and/or Move controllers that could be bought separately.

To me those are the only things about PSVR that need improvement.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
What? I assure you that you can rotate your view 180 degrees, by rotating your body or head.
He said "Not with a motion controller". If you rotate your body 180 degrees, sure that can be tracked. But your controllers cannot be tracked once you've done that, because your body will be between the controllers and the camera. Oculus' default sensor configuration, where you place the two cameras in front, have the same issue, though not nearly as bad since they are two better cameras with a combined better field of view, and the controller LED ring larger than the Move balls.

Last edited:

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Ideally (for me), the PS5 VR would just be the current version of the headset, but just with a better camera and/or Move controllers that could be bought separately.

To me those are the only things about PSVR that need improvement.
Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers.

Expect Sony to use a different tracking system for PSVR2 and Move 2, but pray they make a light-orb attachment so the old PS Camera can see both the old HMD and the next-gen Moves. I think that's the best case solution for the worst-case scenario.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
With 2019 PSVR software lineup it's good for people that wanted these games but were worried PSVR support would die out. So it really will boost PSVR adoption, also I'm wondering if PS5 will help PSVR use it's display capacity to it's full potential like PS4 Pro improved it. People criticize PSVR for the bluriness and drift but they don't understand it's hardware fault that play a part in this too. If PS5 drops and improves OG PSVR's quality and the new moves are compatible with the old headset I can see a lot of people buying first gen $150 PSVR.
Yup this is great.

Looking forward to seeing all the improvements of the PSVR2 when it finally gets announced, but it'll be great to be able to play these games and new ones with a hardware boost in the meantime.

I really hope Sony is able to make PSVR2 an inside out headset at an affordable price.

1) New Move controllers (analog sticks and better tracking)
2) Better display (higher res and wider fov)
3) inside out tracking
4) Single cable to PS5 and no breakout box

Those things with a $299 price I'd upgrade day 1.
Yeah.