• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
There is a known problem I am experiencing, confirmed others are experiencing it in r/Bravia, where the tv will turn off and give an error when a 4K game is started. I am experiencing this on the PS4 Pro, not sure if it will happen with Xbox One. The error is indicated by a flashing red light at the base of the TV.

You can turn off your tv and turn it back on and then you will be able to play the game normally. It's annnoying to deal with every time you start a 4K game so it's probably best to not update fo now. I would assume (or at least hope) that Sony will get a fix out.

Sterba

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, don't know if mine's updated already or not, but haven't had this issue. Mostly play on a XB One X lately as well though.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
That's a bummer. Will wait for further impressions. I also read somewhere that HDR no longer changes your brightness to MAX.

OP
OP
SpottieO

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a KD65XE9005

I this the same model? Im in europe, is x900e the us name?

There are no updates available for my tv either...

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
No problems here. my screen was totally black after the update and fooling around in youtube --- i needed to hard reboot the tv.. it's been fine after this so far (on X1X)

Last edited:

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the TV disconnected from the Internet for reasons like this. Even so, I bet this is very isolated.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't updated mine in months. I always wait to see how these updates work out for everyone else.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using it since the update with no issues. Wonder what's causing it for some people? Could it be some random setting?

I use the Graphics mode with my PS4 Pro if that helps.

OP
OP
SpottieO

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
This hapend to me and a friend, theres a deep menu in setting where you have to enable enhanced HDMI 4k content.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjN3pKe2kSI

I think I have that enabled but I'll try when I get home.
I've been using it since the update with no issues. Wonder what's causing it for some people? Could it be some random setting?

Sony is aware of the issue apparently, an official rep responded to threads on their forums saying they will look into it. Someone there said that turned off the automatic HDR on the PS4 pro fixes the problem. The issue seems to be occurring when the TV switches from non-HDR to HDR content and only seems to be occurring for some people.

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/TV-and-PlayStation-don-t-get-along/td-p/663824

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

Any reason why you use graphics over game? I think they have similar input lag but was wondering if there's something different I wasn't aware of.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason why you use graphics over game? I think they have similar input lag but was wondering if there's something different I wasn't aware of.
I found some of the settings a bit more accurate using test patterns on Graphics and since the input lag is pretty much the same I used that. Most people probably wouldn't notice though

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
No crashes for me, but the last Android update introduced a nasty audio crackle when I unpause DVR content. Sony support said they were aware of the issue and are working on a fix, but if I don't get one soon I'm going to demand they replace the TV since it's under warranty.

MisterThirsty

Oct 25, 2017
Having this issue now, whenever I load up monster hunter (hdr turned on) my tv will crash. Just going to turn off hdr for now and see if that stops it from crashing. Knew I should have just held off on the update.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't updated mine since I got it at Black Friday, too spooked with stuff like this. A previous update bonked Netflix for awhile.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the firmware update from a month ago? I've been getting this from both PC and PS Pro occasionally for the last month. With the PS, the TV goes crazy with static over the image then it crashes with the blinking red light, then you have to turn it off so it can then reboot, then it's fine; just as the OP describes. I played through The Last of Us with it doing it every second time starting the PS Pro up. With the PC, it just loses the signal completely but gets it back if I unplug then plug in the HDMI cable from the TV.

I haven't had the problem with my Xbone S but I've only been using it for movies.

BTW, it's not the Enhanced 4K setting. I've had that on since I bought it and I still get this issue. It also does seem to occur when you go from non-HDR to HDR (as the Pro loads a HDR game).

Very annoying and I'm not impressed with Sony but I guess it's good to know it is the TV for sure. It's weird because I actually thought two Sony products would work well together. I really hope they fix this.

Last edited:

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Is this the firmware update from a month ago? I've been getting this from both PC and PS Pro occasionally for the last month. With the PS, the TV goes crazy with static over the image then it crashes with the blinking red light, then you have to turn it off so it can then reboot, then it's fine; just as the OP describes. I played through The Last of Us with it doing it every second time starting the PS Pro up.

I've been having this problem (without the actual blinking red light and crashing) since I got the tv last summer.

Basically what I've observed is that when I connect my PS4 pro through the receiver I get a blinking screen and static/snow happening. Particularly waking up from rest mode. So I basically have to hold down start on the remote to reboot the tv when I run into this issue and it's fine after that. However when I connect it straight to the tv none of these issues crop up. It's super frustrating.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it always works after restarting the TV, which seems to suggest this is fixable in the firmware. I connect straight to the TV though and it still happens to me. I only updated over a month ago too; I'm not using the firmware from a few days ago. I'm scared to update now.

Isak_Borg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've had the problem with 4k games crashing for awhile but the latest update seemed to solve it.

Edit: Does anyone have ideal calibration settings for this TV?

Last edited:

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
I have been having this exact problem as well only when i boot up Monster Hunter World. No other game seems to affect it for some reason. I turn the tv off and then back on and its fine. But hopefully a patch rolls out soon enough.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have the a x900e and am running version 7.0. Where do I find out which is latest firmware and what improvements it brings to the table?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
If you search the support part of the Sony site for your model you can find it there. Latest is "improves performance" and support for Dolby Vision. Which is weird because I thought they said they wouldn't be supporting the X900E models with DV...

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=XBR65X900E#/downloadTab

Thank you kindly sir/madam. I was hoping that it may also contribute to an already very good input lag but there is no mention of it explicitly.

OP
OP
SpottieO

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
So now this error is only happening to me around half the time. Sometimes I can start up MH or BF1 and it works perfectly fine, other times I have to restart the tv. So annoying.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you search the support part of the Sony site for your model you can find it there. Latest is "improves performance" and support for Dolby Vision. Which is weird because I thought they said they wouldn't be supporting the X900E models with DV...

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=XBR65X900E#/downloadTab

Alas, if you expand the notes, it says for Dolby Vision: "(XBR-55A1E, XBR-65A1E, XBR-77A1E, XBR-55X930E, XBR-65X930E, and XBR-75X940E only)"

MisterThirsty

Oct 25, 2017
I just turned off hdr in mh and it hasn't happened (2 occasions of starting the game) again. Odd because I have match range on on my Apple TV 4K but the tv doesn't crash when it switches to hdr from sdr there.

My PS4 is a non-pro.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Played some Uncharted LL and AC Origins with hdr on a pro yesterday, and other than the issue I mentioned a few posts up, it didn't crash. Could it be an issue with MH specifically?

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Does Google video and YouTube finally support HDR? Can't believe Sony sells a tv that needs additional hardware to display HDR on basic apps.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's happening with my TV, too (900E). Every time I load up Horizon, the TV shuts down and I get the flashing red light, then have to reboot the TV from scratch. I can confirm it is being caused by shifting from non-HDR to HDR content, because I turned off HDR in the PS4 menu, then I turned it back on, and the TV shut down on the spot. I had to unplug it from the wall before it would reboot.

Very disappointing.

So, Sony is supposedly "working on it"? Any idea how long it will take for them to get a fix out?

Last edited: