• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was this issue ever fixed? I wouldn't mind updating my TV, but not if this is still a thing.

I've been checking the Sony forums periodically, and I haven't seen anything new. I also haven't noticed my TV downloading additional update (beyond the one that f*cked it up).

As was posted earlier, there is a simple workaround that completely restores functionality; at least it did for me and some others.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I've been checking the Sony forums periodically, and I haven't seen anything new. I also haven't noticed my TV downloading additional update (beyond the one that f*cked it up).

As was posted earlier, there is a simple workaround that completely restores functionality; at least it did for me and some others.

I know, I'm the one that suggested it, lol. I was just checking because I'd prefer to not have to use an alternate mode.

Deleted member 5727

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know, I'm the one that suggested it, lol.

Oh, lol.

I was just checking because I'd prefer to not have to use an alternate mode.

It really doesn't make a difference; it's just a different input. But I get what you're saying. I would like to see them FIX it, so the workaround isn't necessary. It bothers me that they haven't done that yet. It's been a while. I wouldn't expect it to take that much time, to fix a communication issue between a Sony Playstation and a Sony TV.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had any updates either yet. To be fair the only game that was giving me a hard time was MHW. But i stopped playing that about a month ago.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Hey gang...thought id give a heads up. I just turned my tv on and got an update available this morning on my set.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Here are the update notes:

• Improves general performance of the TV
  • Improves performance when starting content from the PS4™ Pro gaming console
  • Improves performance for Amazon Prime® video playback

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Improves general performance my ass.

My menus are now slower than the second coming of Christ.

*Edit.

Seems even though the tv was on it was still updating something in the background for several minutes. Menus are better now.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
So the HDR bug for game mode is fixed now? What is the version so I make sure I get the right one, and not the old update?

OP
OP
SpottieO

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Good news. Will wait to update before I know more though lol. Been using that workaround that involved changing the pictures setting.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Looks like I missed all this, haven't updated since September. What does better performance actually do?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Mine is updated and working flawlessly.

Same...and this may be placebo effect but it looks like the upscaling done by the TV when I view my Satellite TV shows,that are still in 720p,look even better now...never got the HDR game mode problem,tried Battlefront II yesterday and it looked fine...better test will be Origins,on the X.

Kind of off topic but what calibration settings do you use for gaming?

I basically use the default Game Mode setting and play around with the contrast a bit,it doesnt pop as much as the standard setting lets say but if HDR is on auto,your brightness will jump to max anyway,just like Dynamic range.

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Brightness at 4?
Thanks I'll play around with these.
Yeah brightness is dependent on your situation really. I keep mine like halfway because the sun can hit directly on my TV.

But most of those settings (like the motion settings, or the local dimming, etc) should be used.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No update for the eu models? Cant find any new firmware for my KD-65XE9005

This is the same model, just for Eu, right?

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have always immediately updated my 900E firmware. It's been through a LOT of 4K HDR Monster Hunter without issue.

Edit: didn't notice this thread was old.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't see an update either. It's listed on the Canada webpage for my model, so I guess it's coming eventually.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Lol, just received and set up my X900E last night and never saw this thread. Did the software update and 4k gaming seemed fine, so guessing I just happened to stumble into the latest firmware update. Yay for blind luck!

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Just checked with U4 and Horizon ZD, no issue with both HDR and 4K. I will even go so far to say that the menus are more responsive.
Previously had this bug that when I mute the sound while watching TV and start my Pro, then un-mute there is no sound, but it seems the update has resolved this.

Oct 30, 2017
Lol, just received and set up my X900E last night and never saw this thread. Did the software update and 4k gaming seemed fine, so guessing I just happened to stumble into the latest firmware update. Yay for blind luck!

Same boat as you, Best Buy had the TV for under 999 so I scooped it up, haven't set it up as of yet though.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Man I just updated to the previous version two weeks ago. guess I have to go through this circus again (upgrade, reformat TV twice, disable all junk services, enable dev options for setting process limit to 4, reinstall all my apps including WoL) because I'm getting the HDR bug with my PS4 pro.

A solid 2 hour process.

Is there a mirror for that update? Shit is taking AGES to download and it's not on my TV to update yet (in Canada).

Try again today? Downloaded it in about 3 minutes.

Last edited:

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man I just updated to the previous version two weeks ago. guess I have to go through this circus again (upgrade, reformat TV twice, disable all junk services, enable dev options for setting process limit to 4, reinstall all my apps including WoL) because I'm getting the HDR bug with my PS4 pro.

A solid 2 hour process.

What is all this voodoo?

I upgraded and none of my settings changed. All my disabled apps are still disabled. Recommendations are all still off, etc. Why are your settings and apps being reformatted and reset?

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I have an Xbox One X hooked up and sometimes it flashes a static screen and then black and then back and forth. OS thst what this crashing looks like? It has been doing it since I bought it about 3 weeks ago but I just chalked it up to being in the alpha ring of the Xbox insider program. When I turn it off and back on it fixes it. It seems to happen when o quit out of apps/games that are using HDR or 4K and only every once in awhile.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I have an Xbox One X hooked up and sometimes it flashes a static screen and then black and then back and forth. OS thst what this crashing looks like? It has been doing it since I bought it about 3 weeks ago but I just chalked it up to being in the alpha ring of the Xbox insider program. When I turn it off and back on it fixes it. It seems to happen when o quit out of apps/games that are using HDR or 4K and only every once in awhile.
Had the exact same issue, black screen flicker. Very quick.
Go to your settings on Xbox and change the overscan and fidelity settings to enable YCC 4:2:2 .. that seemed to fix it for me.

OT- Guys how do I initiate an update on the 900E?

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten an update pushed the last 2 updates which spans 3 months on my 940c.

Deleted member 5727

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No update here yet (I'm in the states), unless it downloaded without my knowledge. I'm assuming I'll get a prompt to update, like I did on the last one.

Good to hear that it's coming, though.

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm seriously thinking of getting this set. Other than this update issue, how happy have you been with it? It's about $1500 right now and I keep seeing it around for as low as $1300.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Update issue"?

I've had TV for five months and it's fine other than the smart tv bullshit. I really don't know who is the market for Android TV. The apps are all klunky, ugly, and you are forced to use a google account to get apps or updates. If my receiver didn't already have airplay, I'd just use an Apple TV.

Otherwise it looks fantastic. I got it for $1300 CAD. Very good value. The only thing even remotely comparable is the LG OLED line.