PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. That's kind of the problem with hypothetical situations lol

I can assure you a significantly large demographic of gamers chooses the console their social circle has, anecdotally i can assure you it's why i have PS4 now and why i had a 360 last gen. Social aspect of gaming is very important for gamers and not being able to play with your friends will be a huge deal.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
The used games deal was a BIG factor. But to most people I know (anecdotal, yes) myself included, the exclusives, 100 bucks cheaper and a better gpu made it a no brainer. My crew all laughed after seeing the comparisons and all agreed ps4 no contest this gen.
I didn't say it was the only factor. The user I responded to said that only those 2 mattered which was wrong.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is limiting your ability to use an item you purchased without any consent from you or warning. I'm fairly sure that's illegal and is something a class action lawsuit could address.

If anyone here is a lawyer (I'm not, though I have some experience with law) I wonder if we can start talking about drafting up a lawsuit. I don't know if we'll get to the stage of actually filing this lawsuit, but even so much as to talk of a lawsuit will likely get Sony to cave (possibly on this and crossplay if lack of crossplay is indeed the thing causing the account lock).

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Was this an issue with linked Xbox accounts? Were you able to unlink an Xbox account then relink it to Sony and vice versa? Or is it just the Switch?

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Players' hands are tied because the fortnite community on the PS4 is well established and huge.

Epic's hands are tied because the fortnite community on the PS4 is well established and huge.

Let's face it, we are Sony's bitches in this one and there's nothing we can do about it.

People are doing exactly what they can do: complain, and complain loud.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Was this an issue with linked Xbox accounts? Were you able to unlink an Xbox account then relink it to Sony and vice versa? Or is it just the Switch?

You're also console banned from Xbox One if you've played on PS4. This happened to me when I switched from PS4 to Xbox One X and I had no idea it was even a thing.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually have a couple of friends who bought an Xbox One in the recent E3 sales going up due to this... They wanna play Fortnite with their friends over on the other platforms.

I really don't understand Sony stance on this.. I mean it's terms of business it's great for them because they already have the biggest platform on the console market.. But not letting it plays with others is weird.. Are they afraid of people buying other consoles to play with the PS users?

I mean, between the fact that the XBOX has is a pretty beefy system and it plays 4k Blu-rays and I can fuckin' go between my Switch and it with no problems...

I'm not saying I ready to trade in my PS4 Pro... but I'm not saying I'm NOT ready to trade in my PS4 Pro.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Players' hands are tied because the fortnite community on the PS4 is well established and huge.

Epic's hands are tied because the fortnite community on the PS4 is well established and huge.

Let's face it, we are Sony's bitches in this one and there's nothing we can do about it.
lol riiiiight

As I said, PS4 is like a fart in the wind compared to the Android and IOS market...

Sony is losing mindshare on this one by the day.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony fucked up now this is mainstream. Best to at least get rid of the cross-progression policy ASAP as when this picks up momentum whatever their response won't make a difference to the perception.

Fucked up now deal with it...

ps3ud0 8)

Apr 16, 2018
Sucks that Sony poisons your account and I hope they address it in the future moving forward. That's pretty scummy.

That being said, I don't care about cross play at all.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Was an issue as well with Xbox, Switch just made it an issue very quickly as it got downloaded a lot. Once it's linked with Sony, you can't use it on either.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's both xbox and switch. The error message used to be more vague and there was only the one set of systems with issues, systems which MOST people didn't play the game on more than one of anyway, and which left you less sure what was going on to begin with. Now with two points of reference and a more direct error message clearly spelling out the cause, on a system that people are likely to want to play ALONGSIDE their home console versions, it's noticeable in a way that it wasn't.

Palookah

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
GaaS is here and now and the established platforms are struggling to adapt given the current market shares.

It doesn't mean the end of the AAA single player experience at all, but the platform holders need to accommodate both.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
The fuck does this comment even mean

There are claims in here saying people are going to ditch ps4 because of this

When they realize the alternatives to playing Fortnite having to pay to play for a free game or not having a good online service they will change their minds .

You want more people for your cause then you have to point out some benefits for ps4 only users to change their minds or care about whats happening .

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
Is paying to play the game online on other platforms really a talking point now?

Yall realize paying to play online is practically mandatory on all console platforms at this point, right?

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Also this has been the situation with X1 forever but there haven't been this level of outcry because : A. There is less overlap between X & PS4 than there is between Switch & PS4
B. Honestly switch now is just more popular than X1 plus it's the only device where you can play Fortnite on the go with proper controls ( compared to smart devices)

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Is the breaking point going to be Epic isolating PSN from the rest of the playerbase and slapping a huge scary warning about how your account will be fucked anytime someone tries to connect accounts? Because that statement is staggeringly shitty. It's not even a response as much as them jerking themselves off.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The title of this thread should also reflect that Sony holding purchases hostage is the more major problem than prohibiting crossplay.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah man, I think you are also leaving out the huge exclusive disparity for the last few years of the two consoles. That was a huge reason I switched mid gen and haven't looked back.

That helped sure, and will continue to help. I got burned out on Halo by 4 and Gears by 2 so Xbox would need a lot to make me jump in.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Is paying to play the game online on other platforms really a talking point now?

Yall realize paying to play online is practically mandatory on all console platforms at this point, right?

Not sure if you're aware but free-to-play titles like Fortnite don't require a PS+ Subscription to play on PS4, while they do require an Xbox Live subscription to play to Xbox One.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
how can we keep the pressure up here?

Sony responed with "fuck off we have the numbers" to BBC. Sadly it's over.
Unless Epic do something. Epic don't know how powerful they are. They could say to Sony " hey open people's accounts or say goodbye to the game on the platform" and that will force Sony hands because Fortnite is a monster. Epic won't though because we don't really matter that much.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
There are claims in here saying people are going to ditch ps4 because of this

When they realize the alternatives to playing Fortnite having to pay to play for a free game or not having a good online service they will change their minds .

You want more people for your cause then you have to point out some benefits for ps4 only users to change their minds
Yes, because you have to pay-to-play on PC, iOS, and Android. /s

We're not even 100% certain that you'll need to pay-to-play on Switch yet for that matter.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

My thoughts exactly, lmao

"Have you thought about how people who are very likely already paying $60 a year to play online on PS4 will react to having to pay $60 a year to play online on Xbox Live?"

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol riiiiight

As I said, PS4 is like a fart in the wind compared to the Android and IOS market...

Sony is losing mindshare on this one by the day.
Is there any proof to this?

Like actual statistics on active players/time played and most importantly, money spent by people playing on Android and iOS?

I get that lots of people downloaded it on iOS, but I don't get the impression that's where most people spend their time playing. It's kind of an awful experience (impressive that it works nonetheless)...hard enough to justify playing it that way, let alone spending money on skins.

I'd imagine the people investing significant amounts of money in skins and season passes (ie. the shit Epic probably actually cares most about) are playing on PS4/PC.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get rid of your PS4s. Do what I do, only ever buy their exclusives. Yakuza, God of War, Last of Us, Spider-Man, etc. But buy everything else Xbox, Switch, or PC.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
how can we keep the pressure up here?
I think Microsoft and Nintendo are the only ones that can shame them into supporting it.

Gaming ads need to get dirty again. They need to run a #really4theplayers one that pokes fun at everything from Sony's lack of a real refund system, how the XO paired with Game Pass and EA Access is a better value for consumers on a budget, the lack of any backwards compatibility, and finally this whole Fortnite thing.

Yes, it'd reignite the console wars online, but it'd force Sony into submission.

Sadly this won't happen because MS is too chill right now.

Last edited:

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Its the defense force out and about. You know how it is.

Ill gladly pay if i means i can play my games on mobile, pc and console and not lose my progress. Gladly. And i dont even pay for Live cause with MS rewards, i get live for free now.

And on top of that, my digital library follows me to the next console. Its a pretty simple decision for me.

I hope Sony change their ways cause between this and losing your game library everytime a new generation starts, i dunno why anyone would pick them at this point

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless Epic do something. Epic don't know how powerful they are. They could say to Sony " hey open people's accounts or say goodbye to the game on the platform" and that will force Sony hands because Fortnite is a monster. Epic won't though because we don't really matter that much.

What about people who spent actual money and linked their Epic accounts to PSN and now their purchases cannot be transferred to XBox/Switch?

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
lol it's nowhere near over

This issue has been snowballing since Minecraft last year. It's getting worse and worse.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I agree. MS is unlikely to make the same mistakes again. How soon many of us (including Sony) forget that gamers are a fickle bunch. I don't have the numbers they see but SURELY the pros cannot outweigh the cons of this boneheaded/myopic decision.

This is just a bad look, no matter how you try to spin it. And I have absolutely no interest in Minecraft or Fortnite or hell, even Rocket League. I just don't care about the titles in question - at all. But the precedent this potentially sets looks hella bad on them and gives me pause when spending money in their ecosystem.
I personally think MS is already set up to have a wonderful next gen and Sony's arrogance only gives them more room to catch up.

Sony has been very anti-consumer/arrogant on stuff like this and b/c.

MS suffered a lot this gen but they have been getting better and better and have built wonderful stuff like Gamepass and B/C with upgrades that will own next gen.

I think MS HAS to, but if they launch with fully working Gamepass and B/c they are set to have a great launch unless they screw up. I think they should go with the lower price, but above all they need the best specs. If they do they can either eat up some cost or give out free Gamepass subs to help.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I would love to know what Epic's response would be if asked why it's okay that Sony can lock an account from being used on the other consoles. I mean, they can't think that's okay, right? And what kind of notice are people given the moment they associate their Epic account to Sony that this will happen?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Well, crossplay is one thing. I want it and I think it's the right way to go forward. I can also write WhatsApp messages to an iPhone after all. But actively blocking an account and preventing people to play on certain competing console platforms while allowing others is so anti-consumer that I think their #4theplayers slogan will backfire.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

This would be an even shittier thing to do. Plenty of folks who don't care about crossplay and enjoy the game would be completely fucked by this. I don't know how people think a good solution to the problem is to just turn off the game people paid for entirely

Bam Ford

Oct 29, 2017
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
I love my playstation and play all my games on it. I have to say this bad of Sony. To me it shows an arrogant Sony. But also a Sony afraid of the competition.

They were receptive to this with FF11 on PS2, 360 and PC. They have think they can dictate the industry forgetting that when a new generation launches the consumer dictates their position.

The more big multiplayer games that want crossplay and have it on the other consoles the more people will take notice and that will help their competitors in the new generation.

They need to fix the issue now, apologise and get over it. Save face before they damage their brand.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Microsoft and Nintendo are the only ones that can shame them into supporting it.

Gaming ads need to get dirty again. They need to run a #really4theplayers one that pokes fun at everything from Sony's lack of a real refund system, how the XO paired with Game Pass and EA Access is a better value for consumers on a budget, the lack of any backwards compatibility, and finally this whole Fortnite thing.

Yes, it'd reunite the console wars online, but it'd force Sony into submission.

Sadly this won't happen because MS is too chill right now.
Yep lol. Right on the money. MS probably cant do too much right now though. They like their current image and Phil Spencer is not about that life according to him.

Nintendo definitely wont do it cause they stay in their lane.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care about cross play at all.

Until you do. That's the thing...it's not about these particular games or this one instance of bullishness. It's about their overall attitude toward openness. I can remember having an almost identical conversation last year about them not wanting to play nice with RL. This will keep happening.