Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Sony doesn't allow PS4 to cross play with Switch or Xbox.

Microsoft forces you to pay $60 per year to play a free-to-play online game.

Pick your poison.

Although I do think it's totally bullshit Sony is preventing folks from signing into Switch with an Epic account associated with a PSN account.
This is the issue at hand. The other stuff above you wrote is not.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like a new thread needs to be created regarding the major problem of PC Epic accounts that got linked to PSN not being able to transfer their purchases to XBox/Switch as most people in this thread seems to be focused on crossplay when the major problem is Sony is holding people's purchases hostage.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait...how are they breaking the law right now? Did I miss something bigger than Fortnite crossplay?
If you make an Epic account on PC, play 200 hours on PC, spend $200 on PC, you have the right to use that on a Switch. However, if you play on PS4 for one minute, Sony poisons your account and removes your ability to play it on Switch. Even if you disassociate/unlink your account from PSN, your account is still poisoned. There seems to be no warning whatsoever about PS4 poisoning your account.

If you buy something on a pc account and then suddenlySony locks it to ps4 sans warning so you can no longer use it on pc just because you logged in on a ps4, well that sounds like theft to me.
That's not quite accurate. You can still use it on PC. The problem is that something you buy on PC which you have the right to use on Switch gets poisoned by Sony the instant you play on PS4, removing the right to play it on Switch with seemingly no warning whatsoever.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017

Pick your poison.

Although I do think it's totally bullshit Sony is preventing folks from signing into Switch with an Epic account associated with a PSN account.

You can't sign in and play on an Xbox One either. I was already console banned whenever I made the switch from PS4 to Xbox One X and I had no idea it was even a thing. I couldn't believe their answer after all the time I'd spent in the game, as well as all the gear I had purchased and obtained through BP, was to create a new account. I never did and I haven't played Fortnite since.

Oct 25, 2017
Basically. In past threads I suggested people try to organize something but then got dogpiled for not immediately having the "Fuck Sony" mindset.

I saw a Twitter campaign thread here yesterday. Did it die off already?

It got A LOT less attention than these threads are getting.

Which tells me straight up. A lot of posters don't really care. They just want to use this to further their console war agenda. Now mind you do have people in these threads trying to do something, but people would rather argue instead of actually trying to promote change. Then wonder why people aren't talking about it days later.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly there are only two things left Microsoft needs to do and they will be the perfect pro-consumer company for their fans:

1. Get rid of Gold requirement for free-to-play games
2. Get rid of 50k minimum print limit for discs

They completely wipe the floor with Sony on any other conceivable metric when it comes to services / platform features and the "consumer-friendly" nature of those services / features.

Sony's response is fucking laughable. And seeing Microsoft improve their 1st-party recently, and seeing Phil Spencer's commitment/wish to get more Japanese games on Xbox, makes me really really glad I've stuck with that ecosystem.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And by that point they won't care because their experience right now has been ruined, and the competition already offers that, right now.
Disagree completely.

Every new gen is a new beginning. Making decisions based on what a company did the previous gen is a bad idea.

Look at what happened with Microsoft this gen. Or Sony last gen.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear. People are using the "if MS was the market leader they would be doing the same things.." Defense. Never knew that conjecture was a solid defense.
It's being used as a refuting point when people say Phil would still be saying the same PR junk if he was the Market leader. Honestly, circular arguments like these are tiring for both sides.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Most people have a PS4 because

A) It was 100 dollars cheaper
B) It was objectively better performance wise

Those are the only two things that really mattered at launch.
Not true. Everything changed after that E3.

People still thought the XB1 couldn't play used games well beyond launch. I remember that Gamestop even had to advertise about this.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
What makes you think this policy will carry over to next gen? It's being enforced now because they're in a position it's beneficial. At the beginning of next gen it wouldn't be anywhere near as beneficial when they're fighting to get that install base.

I mean, how often do companies policies carry over from one gen to the next? We see it flip all the time. The last three gens the leader has switched each time, much of that is due to new policies/changes.

It's an example i wrote to illustrate why the issue matters and how it can influence the market.

People are dismissing this because "lol, it's okay because sony is the market leader", but that's not how it works, it matters and it can totally affect sales.

jakob ben-oni

Oct 27, 2017
If you make an Epic account on PC, play 200 hours on PC, spend $200 on PC, you have the right to use that on a Switch. However, if you play on PS4 for one minute, Sony poisons your account and removes your ability to play it on Switch. Even if you disassociate/unlink your account from PSN, your account is still poisoned. There seems to be no warning whatsoever about PS4 poisoning your account.

That's not quite accurate. You can still use it on PC. The problem is that something you buy on PC which you have the right to use on Switch gets poisoned by Sony the instant you play on PS4, removing the right to play it on Switch with seemingly no warning whatsoever.

Thanks for the correction.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
It's not even about crossplay in the switch situation, not being able to transfer your account is unbelievably scummy on Sony's part. If they they'd allowed people to do that no one would've complained about crossplay because a small percentage of players use it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People still thought the XB1 couldn't play used games well beyond launch. I remember that Gamestop even had to advertise about this.

For some yes, but for those of us on here mostly it was about being cheaper and more powerful compared to the Xbox.

It's going to be interesting when they're on a more level field come next gen.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Pick your poison.

Again, people are missing the problem. It's not just being associated with PSN. You can UNLINK your Epic account from PSN and still be FOREVER BANNED from playing on Xbox or Switch.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
They are a multinational, bureaucratic giant corporation beholden to their shareholders. They are they same fundamentally and seek the same thung all of these organizations seek: market dominance, rent seeking, and death to competitors. They hate competition.
I would say there has been a very obvious shift in mentality at Microsoft thats immediately obvious over the past 5 years. Notice word's inclusion on ios, android and mac, Xbox games being released on pc and far fewer of their software applications being locked to their ecosystem. The company has become much more services first and platform agnostic.

That's not to say it's been roses just look at windows 10 and uwp. But there has been fundamental shift in terms of company goals at Microsoft.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
Situation:

Jimmy and his friends Johnny and Jamie love Game A, which will be out on PS5, Super Duper Switch and Xbox infinity.

Jimmy wants to buy a PS5, Johnny wants to buy a Super Duper Switch and Jamie wants an Xbox infinity.

Jimmy also wants to play Game A with his friends, but the PS5 won't be compatible to play tih Super Duper Switch and Xbox infinity, while the nintendo and MS optios will be compatible among each other.

Jimmy will be much more likely to simply buy the same console Johnny or Jamie have because playing with friends is more important to him.

Maybe. That's kind of the problem with hypothetical situations lol

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao at that response. Arrogant as hell. Hopefully someone takes them down a peg next gen.

Didn't even respond to the actual problem that is cross-platform account access.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Pick your poison.

Nah, the two aren't comparable. I can take my account away from MS at anytime if I so choose. That's what's so odd about this.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even about crossplay in the switch situation, not being able to transfer your account is unbelievably scummy on Sony's part. If they they'd allowed people to do that no one would've complained about crossplay because a small percentage of players use it.
Nah crossplay is getting bigger and bigger in the industry and soon it will be everywhere...

It's both.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Well for all the people who want to Sony to give in they should probably leave Microsoft out of it and focus on Nintendo

When people hear u have to pay for gold to play a free to play game that's going to make them say Nope

I'm not sure how Nintendo's online is hopefully it's good

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Xbox as a product has completely turned things around, but it is STILL fighting off the stigma of its disastrous debut.

Even I still grin at how badly Xbox shot itself in the foot only for Sony to go "we won't do that, we're the same as ever" and people cheered and PS4 vaulted to the top pretty much overnight in terms of public approval.

But this is the sort of "arrogant Sony (tm)" behavior that hobbled their steam going into the PS3 era. They have very short memories when they're at the top.

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, I think most people have a Ps4 because:

A) Xbox's original idea for the Xbox One and how fucked up the message was, and that caused people to flip to Sony
B) The friends of the people who flipped to Sony didn't want to game alone, so they bought PS4s too to play with their friends who initially flipped
C) The message overall from those initial buyers was just that PS4 was better, and that has dominated the conversation

The exclusives part didn't come until later. PS4 didn't have a high number of "great exclusives" until a couple years in.

- Xbox fiasco only helped in the States. Rest of the world (Except UK) never cared about the Xbox. In Europe there were countries with 5:1 ratio during the Ps3-360 era.

- After how PS3 ended in terms of exclusive (the reason Sony was able to equalize the sales with 360) many were going to jump eventually to the PS4 to play their next 1st party projects. The catchphrases "Xbox it's the Halo-Forza-Gears machine" or "Xbox it's the FPS machine" aren't from this gen.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at that response from sony. We got the numbers so fuck off.
What a bunch of anticonsumer assholes.

HotEars

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It's only a matter of time until Sony fixes this matter, hopefully...

But when your top dog, usually you don't listen to the pups.

jakob ben-oni

Oct 27, 2017
It's about a shift in software of all kinds moving towards being platform agnostic. And setting precedent. If/when it happens. And people start experiencing the benefits fully. It's hard to go back for that company. Regardless of their position. As they stand to lose even more. It's the implication at that point. If you will.

Though it is true at it's core. Effectively that most businesses seek to be monopolies by their nature.

Ah, much more nuanced then 'MS are good guys'. I apologize if I came off as condescending.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's a combination of all those things really.

I bought a PS4 at launch after mainly using 360 last gen. But it was largely due to the price and performance and the exclusives. Used game thing played into it a bit, but ultimately if MS had had the better option hardware/software wise, I'd have gone there.

There's a number of factors that play into what console seems to be the best choice....none of them have to do with what happened the previous generation though.

Oct 26, 2017
This whole thing is strange. I wonder if Sony is worried about the precedent it would set to support full cross platform play? Like it may create a dam breaking event where more games' MP would choose to go full cross platform, thus blurring the lines of what it means to own any console. That's for sure what MS would want as they would probably prefer everyone to be playing games on windows rather than consoles eventually, whereas Sony is currently enjoying a resurgence because of their console business.

Not sure Sony should be that worried about cross platform play though. They are killing it with their internal studios right now, and that alone should give them a great adavantage heading into next gen.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Pick your poison.

Way to miss literally every single part of this discussion just to try and both sides this shit.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
For some yes, but for those of us on here mostly it was about being cheaper and more powerful compared to the Xbox.

It's going to be interesting when they're on a more level field come next gen.

Nah man, I think you are also leaving out the huge exclusive disparity for the last few years of the two consoles. That was a huge reason I switched mid gen and haven't looked back.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Well for all the people who want to Sony to give in they should probably leave Microsoft out of it and focus on Nintendo

When people hear u have to pay for gold to play a free to play game that's going to make them say Nope

I'm not sure how Nintendo's online is hopefully it's good
And yet another example of people in here completely missing the issue at hand. This is frustrating.

SephirothRK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This is my situation right now, very annoying.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017

The used games deal was a BIG factor. But to most people I know (anecdotal, yes) myself included, the exclusives, 100 bucks cheaper and a better gpu made it a no brainer. My crew all laughed after seeing the comparisons and all agreed ps4 no contest this gen.

Edit: and yes that sony response is some bullshit. Danced around the issue. They need to get this taken care of. No access to your account after playing on a Playstation is garbage

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, no one said this about ms or Nintendo last gen...

I don't recall MS or Nintendo holding your third-party accounts hostage last gen.

How about you read the OP or any of the numerous linked articles in it and actually discover what the actual issue is?

EDIT: And FYI, Nintendo has been fine with crossplay since the Wii.

jakob ben-oni

Oct 27, 2017
I would say there has been a very obvious shift in mentality at Microsoft thats immediately obvious over the past 5 years. Notice word's inclusion on ios, android and mac, Xbox games being released on pc and far fewer of their software applications being locked to their ecosystem. The company has become much more services first and platform agnostic.

That's not to say it's been roses just look at windows 10 and uwp. But there has been fundamental shift in terms of company goals at Microsoft.

Goals (power, money, domination) are the same, the methods of achieving them are different.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Players' hands are tied because the fortnite community on the PS4 is well established and huge.

Epic's hands are tied because the fortnite community on the PS4 is well established and huge.

Let's face it, we are Sony's bitches in this one and there's nothing we can do about it.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
this is exactly why we need stronger microsoft and nintendo right now. a market leader will never not be anti-consumer, especially if you are outselling your competition 2 to 1

Oct 27, 2017
#4theplayers

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is such a bizarre hill to die on. Allowing cross-play is easy brownie points, and it future proofs your ecosystem in case you lose the position of market leader in the future.

Maybe it's like other people have cynically predicted and Sony is going to make big "show" out of announcing universal cross-play for PS5, to play up the "good guy" angle.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I actually have a couple of friends who bought an Xbox One in the recent E3 sales going up due to this... They wanna play Fortnite with their friends over on the other platforms.

I really don't understand Sony stance on this.. I mean it's terms of business it's great for them because they already have the biggest platform on the console market.. But not letting it plays with others is weird.. Are they afraid of people buying other consoles to play with the PS users?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly? I was mildly annoyed I had to spend a couple of minutes creating a new account on my Switch but it's not the end of the world to me.

So if you had purchases tied to said Epic account, Battle Pass Tied to it, almost a years worth of unlocks and such and then when you go to connect it to Switch you come to find out your account is locked out because you added your PSN to the connected accounts randomly one day...

You would just quickly make a new Unreal account and be mildly annoyed?

A lot of people are finding out for the first time that their Unreal accounts have been impaired from no fault of their own, with no warning sign.