Other than the inevitable Splatoon 4, what do you wanna see Splatoon do next?

• Spinoff like a turn based strategy game or musou

Votes: 164 17.3%
  • Spinoff like a grand scale single player only game similar to Mario Odyssey or Mario Galaxy

Votes: 631 66.5%
  • Collaborations (Splatoon X whatever franchise)

Votes: 154 16.2%

• Total voters

resonance

Oct 28, 2017
Hydra getting screen is unfortunate to me as a hydra main. At least edit which I use a fair amount got crab. Been using tri-stringer a bunch so the new stringer is exciting for me as well (even if they gave it stamp...)

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I personally still believe the thought of any additional season content is at least mild copium, with the small exception that they might have a last update at the start of September and hold the final fest that weekend, right before the game's anniversary. It's not impossible, of course, and maybe they try and keep this going to help keep the Switch alive while we wait out the successor's delay, but 8 seasons of content was the initially stated plan, the sales tail for this game hasn't seemingly exceeded S2's, and frankly if anything it feels like the team that's been handling the updates has been struggling to get even the pre-planned seasonal stuff done on time, given things like the internal delay of S2-themed content to pair it with Side Order, so the thought of now having to extend beyond that plan might be too daunting to bother with.

I know people still want to hold out hope for third kits, but at the very least it seems obvious that third kits for every weapon would be a complete pipe dream, and after that we end up back in the weird world of a certain chosen few getting extra options while others are SOL, and I've honestly never been a huge fan of that approach anyway.

If we want to know the plan, keep an eye on the Twitter info drip next week, as we likely get most or all of the season's weapon kit reveals. The clue for future content rests on whether the second kits for Wellstring and Decav end up appearing in Sizzle Season or not. If we get the new weapons and their alts, it's over.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Is it copium that I'm hoping for one more season?
I feel like there will still be some smaller drops, even if it isn't season-based. I don't think they'd release new weapons and not at least give them a second kit. And the previous two games have had Sheldon's Picks at the end, so I feel like that's considered tradition at this point. New stages seem less likely, however, what with the stage selection now being two full pages.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fighting Boros right now with easy weapons on an easy map and...

it will 100% be impossible to win the boss trio with randoms. They are absurdly bad

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Fighting Boros right now with easy weapons on an easy map and...

it will 100% be impossible to win the boss trio with randoms. They are absurdly bad
Maybe we will be able to make them damage eachother with their attacks, it could be easier that way
Yup, this is the last content update for Splatoon 3. They would've saved the second kits for these new weapons for if we were getting more seasons after this one.

View: https://twitter.com/splatoonjp/status/1791393721445146699

This means 2 kits for each of the new weapon right and this is a Different bow from what we've seen in the trailer ?

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
This means 2 kits for each of the new weapon right and this is a Different bow from what we've seen in the trailer ?
Twitter today is listing both the Wellstring V and its Custom variant today. Like I was just saying last night, to me this pretty much hard confirms this as the last major content add, no more maps and no more third kit talk.

Anyway! The Wellstring V. It fires five shots instead of three. Like the other stringers the shot spread starts wide and narrows during the first level of charge. Unlike the others, as it continues from charge level 1 into level 2, the spread actually widens back out instead of continuing to shrink. Makes hitting one-shots with it even trickier because your timing to pull it off will need to be pretty tight. Instead of sniping, this seems more like a "litter the ground with projectiles" sort of weapon, and given the charge time I question how effective that can really be.

So, the kits:
Normal Wellstring gets Autobomb / Ultra Stamp
Custom Wellstring gets Point Sensor / Wave Breaker

At first glance, I'm not terribly impressed by either of these kits. The low one-shot potential means this thing is already starting in a tough spot for how fight- and explosive-focused the rest of the game is, so the custom kit going all in on marking and no actual ink or offensive support feels to me like it just isn't going to offer enough to really do anything very useful. Autobomb on the main kit makes some sense to me, but ultra stamp for the special still confuses me; as much as I personally hate dealing with enemy ultra stamps I recognize it's not a well-liked option, and this is really not the invade or flank-style weapon that would be getting into positions to make the most of the stamp anyway. The main weapon just doesn't look aggressive enough for this to make sense. Guess I'm just never allowed to have a stringer kit I can feel all-in on, a perpetual trend with me and this game overall.

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Twitter today is listing both the Wellstring V and its Custom variant today. Like I was just saying last night, to me this pretty much hard confirms this as the last major content add, no more maps and no more third kit talk.

Anyway! The Wellstring V. It fires five shots instead of three. Like the other stringers the shot spread starts wide and narrows during the first level of charge. Unlike the others, as it continues from charge level 1 into level 2, the spread actually widens back out instead of continuing to shrink. Makes hitting one-shots with it even trickier because your timing to pull it off will need to be pretty tight. Instead of sniping, this seems more like a "litter the ground with projectiles" sort of weapon, and given the charge time I question how effective that can really be.

So, the kits:
Normal Wellstring gets Autobomb / Ultra Stamp
Custom Wellstring gets Point Sensor / Wave Breaker

At first glance, I'm not terribly impressed by either of these kits. The low one-shot potential means this thing is already starting in a tough spot for how fight- and explosive-focused the rest of the game is, so the custom kit going all in on marking and no actual ink or offensive support feels to me like it just isn't going to offer enough to really do anything very useful. Autobomb on the main kit makes some sense to me, but ultra stamp for the special still confuses me; as much as I personally hate dealing with enemy ultra stamps I recognize it's not a well-liked option, and this is really not the invade or flank-style weapon that would be getting into positions to make the most of the stamp anyway. The main weapon just doesn't look aggressive enough for this to make sense. Guess I'm just never allowed to have a stringer kit I can feel all-in on, a perpetual trend with me and this game overall.
Thank you very much for the clarification:)

the custom wellstringer seems perfect for my playstyle, fun kit for me:)

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We could still see some third kits come to Splatoon 3. But that would probably be the ceiling for "extra content" above this regular season updates. The devs should be putting their resources into Splatoon 4 and making any more stages is not worth their time.

Making third kits for a bunch of weapons would be much less time intensive, so would think that could be on the table as a sort of band-aid to close out this game. Could be what that last teaser with the jellyfish is.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
We could still see third kits come to Splatoon 3. But that would probably be the ceiling for "extra content" above this regular season updates. The devs should be putting their resources into Splatoon 4 and making any more stages is not worth their time.

Making third kits for a bunch of weapons would be much less time intensive, so would think that could be on the table as a sort of band-aid to close out this game. Could be what that last teaser with the jellyfish is.
Yeah, I don't think there'll be any more seasons with all the music and stage and catalog and clothes shenanigans. The spare set of weapons would make some sense though. I'm also curious to which extent a Splatoon 4 would build up on Splatoon 3 vs. doing something new. On the one hand I hope we get an entire set of stages made with the approach we are seeing currently in a new game, on the other hand a full reset like Splatoon does is becoming rarer and rarer in the live service world.

Also, I don't see how that jelly with idol merch would be heralding 3rd kits. I could only see that if the 3rd kits are all idol-focused, but then this is also a very odd way of teasing that. I think the most obvious thing this is teasing is some sort of idol splatfest or similar crossover - I can easily see the finalfest trailer directly following up on this teaser with the jelly looking up at a Splatsville decked out in idol insignias for the fest of something.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I don't see how that jelly with idol merch would be heralding 3rd kits. I could only see that if the 3rd kits are all idol-focused, but then this is also a very odd way of teasing that. I think the most obvious thing this is teasing is some sort of idol splatfest or similar crossover - I can easily see the finalfest trailer directly following up on this teaser with the jelly looking up at a Splatsville decked out in idol insignias for the fest of something.

Definitely agree that it teasing something Final Fest is a bit more likely. But I could see a scenario where they made a third kit themed for each of the idols. Like, "try out the Big Man Slosher" or whatever. I dunno what that jellyfish would be looking up at in the desert, though.

That jellyfish thing is definitely teasing something. It's so tantalizing, lol.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I'm still hoping that the final fest is not simply "which idol group is best," but instead some other theme, but the hook is that all the idol groups will be coming together to form a final mega-concert for the fest in total. If this is to be an end of the current "story" and Splatoon 4 starts to veer into totally different territory, having everyone come together would be a wonderful send-off for this cast of characters.

Plus like, by the time Splatoon 4 does come out, Pearl and the Squid Sisters are gonna be nearly 30; even if they don't fully disappear from the games, we'll definitely be in need of some new idol blood to start building storyline around.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's very interesting that we're getting both kits of the new weapons but that does make sense. Sucks that it looks like no third kits then so the weapons that got two bad / bland kits (ex: Jet Squelcher / Undercover) are staying that way. It's a little sad because the alt kits was a way of "balancing" weapons based on how the players respond to them, and with this the new weapons are essentially stuck until Splatoon 4 so hopefully at least one of them will stick

Maybe we will be able to make them damage eachother with their attacks, it could be easier that way
It's looking like that happens with Joe biting Zuna during the trailer. It also looks like no lessers spawn so it's just the kings and regular bosses, you get Grizzco weapons, and you get two specials instead of one. Even with all that (if true) it still looks extremely difficult to do unless the kings get some HP reduction or the Grizzco weapons get updated damage modifiers

But it won't matter because that's all dependent on a scenario where the freelance randoms aren't smashing their faces into the buttons. I need to find a Salmon Run pool that hasn't deteriorated to "Booyah" spamming trolls. I don't have time or energy to grind to EVP 800 every stinking shift....

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
That's very interesting that we're getting both kits of the new weapons but that does make sense. Sucks that it looks like no third kits then so the weapons that got two bad / bland kits (ex: Jet Squelcher / Undercover) are staying that way. It's a little sad because the alt kits was a way of "balancing" weapons based on how the players respond to them, and with this the new weapons are essentially stuck until Splatoon 4 so hopefully at least one of them will stick

It's looking like that happens with Joe biting Zuna during the trailer. It also looks like no lessers spawn so it's just the kings and regular bosses, you get Grizzco weapons, and you get two specials instead of one. Even with all that (if true) it still looks extremely difficult to do unless the kings get some HP reduction or the Grizzco weapons get updated damage modifiers

But it won't matter because that's all dependent on a scenario where the freelance randoms aren't smashing their faces into the buttons. I need to find a Salmon Run pool that hasn't deteriorated to "Booyah" spamming trolls. I don't have time or energy to grind to EVP 800 every stinking shift....
I'd definitely love to play with you in the evening (likely ~9:00 PDT)! My little one is sleeping pretty well, so once' she's down and the dogs are walked, I can be pretty available on either night (assuming no real-life stuff pops up).

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I would be genuinely stunned if they didn't do any sort of additional support beyond this season. To me the only reason that wouldn't be happening is because the next Splatoon game is coming soon after the new Switch launches. We absolutely cannot go 5.5 years between games again lol.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd definitely love to play with you in the evening (likely ~9:00 PDT)! My little one is sleeping pretty well, so once' she's down and the dogs are walked, I can be pretty available on either night (assuming no real-life stuff pops up).
That's very kind of you, that's usually when I hop on as well but don't stress yourself about me whining lol! Even at work, people call me "That guy that never smiles"
Here's my friend code if we line up, SW-7160-4461-3056

I'm watching the Wellstring video some more and Mint Splatana shockwaves from the charge swing look huge but short range. I'm really looking forward to it. The splatanas all looked really cool on release but I couldn't use them in large part to the charge slash being hard to use for me to use because of the forward step and the slash going upward for some reason making it very hard to hit. I'd end up using the regular swipes the most, which works, but didn't really feel like I was using "a sword", you know? But Mint's charge looks super wide and the longer step in should be easier to do ambush kills

My only fear is if the alt kit gets Angle Shooter...

Last edited:

seeds

Jun 25, 2019
My only fear is if the alt kit gets Angle Shooter...

I'm praying it gets anything else and the special is something like Inkjet/Booyah. Given that it doesn't seem to have a lot of range, I wouldn't mind the old Enperry Curling/Jet kit honestly. Curling is redundant on Wiper and Stamper because of their vertical slashes but they could be interesting on Mint when it doesn't have one

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure it'll get Inkjet just by virtue of the last kit with it was the Brella in September last year XD

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
I'm pretty sure it'll get Inkjet just by virtue of the last kit with it was the Brella in September last year XD

It's so weird how hesitant they are to give Inkjet to things. It's pretty much always been in a good spot balance-wise, and is (imo) a perfect expression of how specials with a high skill ceiling can innately be balanced around all skill levels, as opposed to something like Reefslider or Splashdown which terrorizes low-level play but is pretty bad at higher levels. With inkjet, it's still a fair fight at all levels due to just how much control the inkjet player has.

Then again, I think this is part of a bigger issue of "this game has too many specials." When a special can be basically absent on an entire class of weapons (like, even shooters, a class with 10 million weapons, only have one Reefslider, for instance), there's just too many specials to meaningfully distribute.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Remember that it also took like, over a year before anything got added with Crab Tank after the game started with like four of them. I'd be very curious to know how far in advance these kits are being picked out and if some of their distribution is affected by the devs' interpretations of which specials at the time are particularly strong or popular.

The Wellstring is getting one "aggressive" special with Ultra Stamp and one "support" special with Wave Breaker. Since we already know the first Decav kit has Big Bubbler, I would expect the second to have something a bit more built to focus on advancing and fighting forward since the first kit already has a focus on holding ground. Jet is possible, I also weirdly would not be shocked if they gave it Reefslider or Kraken, to go with the "charge forward and attack" theme the main weapon already uses.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Splatfest is such a terrible event...

Had four games in a row where I have a teammate go 0-5+

Last edited:

seeds

Jun 25, 2019
All of that would make sense based on how the first two games ended, but I am curious what the evidence is for four new main weapons. From what Ash/other dataminers have posted before, there's convincing evidence for two new main weapons coming later this year, so I'd like to know what suggests more than that may be coming

Third kits releasing after all of the seasonal content is done wouldn't be that surprising. A majority of Splatoon 2's third kits came after they were done adding maps. We'll probably get a better idea of what's coming soon anyway, because if there's a special fest coming this season it'll probably be announced on Twitter before the season starts. And we'll probably get a better idea of what the new main weapon slots are when the new season is datamined

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
WE DID IT!

The Frye dynasty begins now!

chopper-crypiece.jpg

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
...So the Decavitator looks absolutely insane. I kind of want them to nerf this thing already haha.

View: https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1792480633182404998?t=pta3SKIQ59-Q0rBrRUpFmw&s=19

Seems to work at around the speed of the splatana stamper with uncharged slashes. The charged slash has a long dash, very wide OHKO hitbox (that can hit around/through corners??) and unleashes a super wide beam wave that can combo with a single uncharged slash. I think vertical stamper beams still beat it out in range and this thing will have a harder time ledge-camping, but otherwise it looks like a monster.

Mint Decavitator comes with Suction Bomb and Big Bubbler, which sharp-eyed trailer analysts knew already.
The alt kit (not sure what flavor the black is meant to be...Liquorice Decavitator?) has Splash Wall and Inkjet. I really thought they'd give this second kit a more offensive sub, but instead this thing looks like the closest think to an inheritor to the old Splatoon 2 vanilla Flingza set which I loved so dearly. I'm not an inkjet fan though, and obviously the main weapon is different, so I'm not sure how much of a fit it'll be for me, but the weapon seems extremely strong nonetheless and I think with the kits in mind too, splatana fans won over the stringers this time.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The alt version might be the most clever reference yet

"Dental Wiper Sumi (charcoal)"

Sumi toothpaste is a toothpaste that can be made from bamboo charcoal and --I shit thee not, "Sword" bean paste

www.japantrendshop.com

Natamame Sumi Sword Bean Charcoal Toothpaste

Natamame Sumi Sword Bean Charcoal Toothpaste - Using bamboo charcoal from Tachibana in Fukuoka Prefecture and ground sword bean (natamame), this Natamame Sumi Sword Bean Charcoal Toothpaste is a strong remedy for bad breath. Using only Japanese ingredients, this toothpaste is a natural way to...

I'm very curious what the localized name will be. Gold and black is de-facto my favorite color combination. Every time a game offers color customization for equipment, I always make one with gold and black

Last edited:

seeds

Jun 25, 2019
It looks like the trade-off for Decavitator is that it has poor ink efficiency. If you pay attention to when it's fighting on the bridge, it uses most of its ink tank after four charged slashes and five regular slashes, which means it's more ink hungry than Stamper (and obviously it can't match its vertical range)

I'm really excited for it, especially after seeing Inkjet confirmed. I wasn't expecting Splash Wall but it's definitely not bad. It'll give it a pretty decent matchup vs Stamper/specials like Zooka

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how it will deal with some of the sharking and high TTK weapons? It seems like it will play keepaway well with its inking and control its own space. But am wondering if it will run into some of the awkward close-quarters combat stuff that Sloshers and Blasters can run into.

Seems like a menace at midrange where you can't even get close to it sometimes and you have to wait for it to reload. Could see Dynamo or Dread Wringer players like this thing, with its painting and zoning capabilities.

Last edited:

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Now that it's past noon on Monday and we're now at least three drops-worth of posts behind (the Wellstring posts, Splatfest results, and now the Decav posts), I feel like I can only conclude that the localization team has decided it's no longer worth translating tweets that aren't content drops anymore. NA twitter has been a bit slow before but this seems unusually behind for putting out info on what is the next season's most interesting additions.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I guess it was determined by eagle-eyed players that Recycled Brella gets Toxic Mist / Splashdown...

PRAY FOR BUFFS!!! I mean, mist into splashdown is a good combo, but that's super gimmicky. What's it supposed to do between specials? I know new season patches are light on balance changes, but Recycled is in a very bad place right now...

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I wonder how it will deal with some of the sharking and high TTK weapons? It seems like it will play keepaway well with its inking and control its own space. But am wondering if it will run into some of the awkward close-quarters combat stuff that Sloshers and Blasters can run into.

Seems like a menace at midrange where you can't even get close to it sometimes and you have to wait for it to reload. Could see Dynamo or Dread Wringer players like this thing, with its painting and zoning capabilities.

I think its close-combat capabilities are incredibly strong due to its large hitboxes and heavy paint output, which can make rushing it down a nightmare. Its main issue is just maintaining itself in fights due to its terrible ink efficiency.

So I guess it was determined by eagle-eyed players that Recycled Brella gets Toxic Mist / Splashdown...

PRAY FOR BUFFS!!! I mean, mist into splashdown is a good combo, but that's super gimmicky. What's it supposed to do between specials? I know new season patches are light on balance changes, but Recycled is in a very bad place right now...

Recycled is such a weird weapon. Feels like it's the sort of thing that can snap from "terrible and gimmicky" to "absurdly strong" with just one or two tweaks. I really like it in Salmon Run. It definitely needs something, though.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Remember when it comes to the decavitator that it doesn't have to do its dash for the charged slash, that it seems to attack in basically a wide half-circle in front of it, and that it can change the direction of the slash while dashing. Unless it's getting burst-flick comboed by a carbon roller, trying to rush it down is just as dangerous a proposition for other short-range weapons as it is for the decav itself, unless you can manage to take it down quicker than it can charge a slash. In this game's networking environment, I expect a lot of trades. The big issue is that it looks stronger for holding down an area than it does claiming forward space, so I guess the weakness would be if it overextended and can risk being surrounded with low ink.

As for Recycled Brella, I don't know. Kits that could aid in its chip and fighting ability would have been what I thought it needs, but they seem to have been very determined to make sure it couldn't easily do that. And also yeah, with this being a content-drop update I won't expect more than two or three weapon parameter tweaks and a couple special cost changes. I doubt they buff Cycle when it's also receiving a new kit they don't have feedback on yet. More likely they'll just cut down the special cost for some rapid fire shooter because of course they would.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Today's twitter updates are nothing new to folks who were paying attention to the trailer analysis, but nonetheless we have our duo of "inspired by the Great Turf War" weapons.

Bamboozler variant: Fizzy Bomb / Super Chump
Recycled Brella variant: Toxic Mist / Triple Splashdown

Boozler mains with sharp aim are going to find a lot to like from this, I expect. As someone whose aim is decidedly not sharp, I will be staying the hell away from both of these myself, lol.

seeds

Jun 25, 2019
It didn't actually register for me until now that the devs might have saved Hydra and Bamboo's second kits for this season so that they could take advantage of the fact that Dowsers and Recycled Brella are riffs on the same concept as both weapons

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I hate life and I hate Splatoon 3's kit designers.

Just what the game needed! More strong weapons that can also spam splat bombs!! And weapons I don't like using so I don't even get to play degenerate with them myself!

Well that's not entirely true, I do sometimes like using Range Blaster, but of course they threw Kraken on it to make sure I still couldn't enjoy myself too much. Gotta keep the trend going of zero kits in the game that fully mesh with me, after all.

As far as competitive meta goes, CRB might have a spot, but I don't expect Edit Nouveau to actually show up that much in top-level tournaments because Edit is already one of the few really good Tacticooler weapons, so you'd only see the Nouveau kit on a team that already has a Snipewriter on cooler duty. And at top level I wonder how much an Edit would be using bombs for combat given the weapon's pretty slow charge-up speed to reach its max fire rate. Are they expecting this to thrive on bomb-chip followed up by partial-charging to finish an opponent off? For as much as I gripe about bombs and bomb spam this does feel like a bit of an odd weapon to throw it on.

seeds

Jun 25, 2019
It's wild to see two Splat Bomb weapons revealed on the same day when we've only had two added post-launch before this season

Pretty excited to play the new Edit. I'm glad there's another fun kit to help me grind for the gold Crab Tank badge

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Our last new kits of the season...and potentially of the whole game. Fun to see them keeping the apparent tradition alive of Custom Hydra always being the final weapon (unplanned content extensions notwithstanding).
I am by zero means a hydra player, so I don't have much in the way of thoughts on the custom kit. It seems...fine, if you like using screen? A good hydra is already an absolute nightmare matchup for me and while I don't think this kit is really any worse to deal with (at least there's no bullshit booyah bomb armor to contend with) it could nonetheless be very annoying to try and break through to if it can build screens as quickly as I imagine it will. Either way, the base kit is already good for it so I don't see this one having a huge impact, for good or ill.

Now, the Custom Dousers...now here's some good fucking food. We already had a pretty good idea this was going to be the kit, but it's nice to have it confirmed and not curveballed by an angle shooter or something instead. I do already like the current Douser kit pretty decently, and I'm personally still not very enthused about them giving it tri-strike (I simply don't think it's as impactful of a special right now aside from the damage values being unnecessarily overturned, and I don't like giving dousers a special that limits their mobility like this), but the sheer versatility of burst bomb on its own is going to make this the clear stronger kit of the two and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Out of everything this season, unless one of the two brand new weapons unexpectedly clicks with me, I think these Custom Dousers have the best shot of being something that makes an active addition to my weapon pool.

Missed opportunity, though; since the original weapon is called Douser Dualies FF, this would have been the perfect time to call the alt kit Douser Dualies GG. Instead I'm fairly certain they'll just have the "Custom" affixed to the front. Boo!

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Our last new kits of the season...and potentially of the whole game. Fun to see them keeping the apparent tradition alive of Custom Hydra always being the final weapon (unplanned content extensions notwithstanding).
I am by zero means a hydra player, so I don't have much in the way of thoughts on the custom kit. It seems...fine, if you like using screen? A good hydra is already an absolute nightmare matchup for me and while I don't think this kit is really any worse to deal with (at least there's no bullshit booyah bomb armor to contend with) it could nonetheless be very annoying to try and break through to if it can build screens as quickly as I imagine it will. Either way, the base kit is already good for it so I don't see this one having a huge impact, for good or ill.

Now, the Custom Dousers...now here's some good fucking food. We already had a pretty good idea this was going to be the kit, but it's nice to have it confirmed and not curveballed by an angle shooter or something instead. I do already like the current Douser kit pretty decently, and I'm personally still not very enthused about them giving it tri-strike (I simply don't think it's as impactful of a special right now aside from the damage values being unnecessarily overturned, and I don't like giving dousers a special that limits their mobility like this), but the sheer versatility of burst bomb on its own is going to make this the clear stronger kit of the two and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Out of everything this season, unless one of the two brand new weapons unexpectedly clicks with me, I think these Custom Dousers have the best shot of being something that makes an active addition to my weapon pool.

Missed opportunity, though; since the original weapon is called Douser Dualies FF, this would have been the perfect time to call the alt kit Douser Dualies GG. Instead I'm fairly certain they'll just have the "Custom" affixed to the front. Boo!
Having put a good bit of time into the dousers, I feel like it works somewhat nicely with the usual playstyle of playing in a very midline fashion and rolling only when you need to survive or grab a kill with your quick fire mode. Some people said they wanted Inkjet on it, probably because Enperries didn't get it in this game, but due to the single dodgeroll and huge endlag I'm not sure how much it would've actually helped, all things considered.

As for the name: The "FF" of the Dousers is actually related to its mechanics, just like the Bamboozler 14 (fires 14 fully-charged shots), Reeflux 450 (does 45.0 damage per shot on a full charge), or .52 Gal (does 52 damage). FF in hexadecimal is equal to 255, which references the Douser's base damage of 25.5. So I think them not changing that makes sense, actually.

If anything, the Douser alt kit should be happy for actually getting a meaningful color change, as opposed to pretty much every other Custom-brand weapon which only gets minor cosmetic chanhes :p

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ib8wvdlu0

Little surprised that Hydra is getting mines when Ballpoint got them already and a common thing around kits for smaller weapon classes like Splatlings is to not have repeat subs / specials. Not that it's a bad fit for Hydra, I'm more annoyed at the Ballpoint kit having them instead of something it'd actually benefit from like a splash shield or beakon

Last edited:

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I'm pretty sure that the "FF" in the Douser's name is more meant to reference the fact that they're based on firefighters hose nozzles, moreso than hexidecimal-based damage values. That is a neat bit to know, though.

Beware to folks following the NA Splatoon Twitter account, their post about the Custom Hydra is literally wrong. Their post erroneously claims that cHydra's sub is Point Sensor when it is in fact Inkmine as stated in the JP tweet. I guess NOA just literally doesn't have anyone who actually plays or cares about Splatoon working on this account anymore.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
I'm pretty sure that the "FF" in the Douser's name is more meant to reference the fact that they're based on firefighters hose nozzles, moreso than hexidecimal-based damage values. That is a neat bit to know, though.

Beware to folks following the NA Splatoon Twitter account, their post about the Custom Hydra is literally wrong. Their post erroneously claims that cHydra's sub is Point Sensor when it is in fact Inkmine as stated in the JP tweet. I guess NOA just literally doesn't have anyone who actually plays or cares about Splatoon working on this account anymore.
Is abbreviating "firefighter" as FF a common/natural thing for native English speakers? It's not something I've ever encountered but I'm also not a native speaker so it's very possible I just haven't seen it happen. Notably, in Japanese it also has that "FF" in the name, so I suppose the question would also be whether that's an association a Japanese speaker would make (whereas hexadecimal is more of a globally understandable thing).

Looking at other localizations, it looks like different teams took it in either direction - the German one has "FW" (for Feuerwehr, the German name for firefighters), whereas the Russian verison gives it the suffix "255" (playing on the hexadecimal of course). So I think it's probably just a case where it's both. Maybe they started with FF for the firefighters abbreviation and then noticed that the damage was already 25.5 or close to it, so they tweaked that part.

As for SplatoonNA, yeah it's so weird what's been happening with that account. Not only have they completely dropped the "Squid Research Lab" kayfabe that's been so common with them and generally just dryly translated the Japanese text now, they're also making a lot more mistakes now. The Charcoal Decavitator has both "Splash Shield" (the literal translation of the Japanese name for Splash Wall) as well as "Ink Jet" (as opposed to Inkjet). The latter is just a minor mistake of course, but it ultimately just gives the feeling of someone who doesn't really know anything about the games. Notably the account stopped tweeting on Friday and Monday altogether, so maybe they had to replace the social media guy/team on short notice? Super weird, tho, and it'd be a shame if we lost the Squid Research Lab.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
No more weapon kits to reveal, but the posts for the season roll on, and there's some big ones today. You might even say some big big ones.

Big Big Run kicks off on June 7th (for the US folk; it's the 8-10th in Japan) and like the trailer suggested, it's a salmonid takeover of all the big run maps we've previously had. It'll also feature fighting all three kings at once, and they even teased the debut of a Grizzco Splatling. Gonna be really interesting to see how they set up how that works.

The other big news today...a shakeup to the "stage rework for the midseason patch" trend we'd been seeing...not only are we getting a map rework at the start of the season instead of in the middle, we're getting two! I can live with only getting one brand new stage if we can get multiple fixes to maps no one currently likes, and the sneak peek looks promising.
First up, what is in my opinion the second-worst turf map in the game right now, Barnacle & Dime, and they're giving it exactly what it needs to be made immensely better.

View: https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1793930939988607334?t=0A3v5q3xPn-ywNaeZ3FN8g&s=19
Now as you head out of the left side of spawn, there's a new pocket of low ground beyond that raised box that you can use to get into mid while fully bypassing the ally-side stack. Finally, FINALLY, a single weapon of Heavy Splatling or equivalent range can't just singularly cover every possible point of ingress, and they did it in a way that provides some visual cover without overly advantaging that team's side. This is great.

The second rework is coming to Hammerhead Bridge, brought to you by apparent new Inkadia Transit Department spokessquid, Callie:

View: https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1793930687994863697?t=rJyDuImptI7TGCcmiTosNA&s=19
It's a bit hard to figure out exactly what some of the changes are going to entail, but it at least looks like they're adding a new sneaky little ramp on the sides of mid on the far side of the big support poles, aka finally some sort of flank route that lets you move beyond the wide mid without passing through the one narrow ramp bottleneck. It looks like they're normalizing the spawn area too so there isn't just those two super tall and very small high spots, making picking the spawning spot less awkward. They could have taken the changes even further I think, but improvement is improvement, and we got some very cute Callie art along with it, so I'll forgive them.

Between good kits and multiple quality-looking stage reworks, this season is looking pretty good even if the "new content" of it is lacking in quantity.