• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even get hype for Doom Slayer right now... And that rumor would make things worse, because then the other 2 characters are Ryu Hayabusa (Who's not bad, but not big for me) & Steve. I know Steve's fascist prick doesn't make money off the series anymore, but he's still a generic-yet-ugly dude with a sword & magic. I'll have basically just paid for Doomslayer, literal shame, & for Last Surprise on the OST.

... I almost included this in with the Doomslayer posters, but in retrospect, said generic white guys with guns are also always dads, & Doomslayer is canonically a virgin. And I would know. I am an expert in the sex lives (Or lack thereof) of Smash characters.

Tell me all of the dirty deets about Ike and Soren

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because the assumption before Erdrick would probably be Luminary if they wanted a Dragon Quest character because of XI S. Then again Steve is a part of that list and I don't know why they would want Steve in the game considering Minecraft has already worn it's relevancy for Ultimate's DLC
If you choose to believe the rumor the DQXI hero is going to be an alternate outfit anyway so it's a moot point.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that rumor about the five characters is true then this is a really disappointing list of DLC characters. No first party was a mistake. No Monster Hunter is especially unfortunate.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
If it's a DQ rep/Erdrick as people are saying then he better look like this:

latest

latest

and not this:
300px-Hero3male.png

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
2B, Monokuma and Crono confirmed.

Junko &
Monokuma as a puppet character would be pretty dope, honestly. I want that to happen, at least. I'm not into Visual Novels, but I'll count a VN character as a de facto Point & Click character, & they'd probably work like how I'd also want Sam & Max to work if they ever got into Smash (Which they won't), anyway.

Dragon Quest has sold well over 75 million worldwide as a series, and is an institution in Japan. I'm not sure how one can argue Hayabusa makes more sense.

Sakurai stated he didn't want to pick any more characters who were only popular in 1 region after Lucas, & Lucas was solely added because Sakurai didn't know Mother 3 was Japan-only until after the roster was finalized.

Granted, that one rumor stated that Nintendo's trying to make Dragon Quest popular in the West for the 14th time or something. Again, they literally couldn't give that game away over here back in the 80's, but they seem hellbent on making us care. If Nintendo's picking the DLC, I can see this being the time to add a DQ character, & my guess is that they will pick a Western character with no relevance in Japan to balance it out (Another point in Doomguy's favor).

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I know. But given that we got Mega Man before Monster Hunter, Ryu, and a Resident Evil character, I don't think it's all about sales. If it were all about sales, we wouldn't be getting an Atlus/SMT/Persona character at all.
But DQ is not just big in terms of sales, it is a legendary gaming franchise that pioneered a genre and has deep ties to Nintendo.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Junko &
Monokuma as a puppet character would be pretty dope, honestly. I want that to happen, at least. I'm not into Visual Novels, but I'll count a VN character as a de facto Point & Click character, & they'd probably work like how I'd also want Sam & Max to work if they ever got into Smash (Which they won't), anyway.

Sakurai stated he didn't want to pick any more characters who were only popular in 1 region after Lucas, & Lucas was solely added because Sakurai didn't know Mother 3 was Japan-only until after the roster was finalized.

Granted, that one rumor stated that Nintendo's trying to make Dragon Quest popular in the West for the 14th time or something. Again, they literally couldn't give that game away over here back in the 80's, but they seem hellbent on making us care. If Nintendo's picking the DLC, I can see this being the time to add a DQ character, & my guess is that they will pick a Western character with no relevance in Japan to balance it out (Another point in Doomguy's favor).
Man after seeing the rumored DLC lists I really hope we get a Fighter Pack 2 that's just Sakurai's picks. I don't think I appreciated his decision making process until seeing the possibilities of what Nintendo has actually chosen

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

I'd be willing to bet that Dragon Quest makes similar, if not better numbers in the West, than Bayonetta.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Steve doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I doubt Nintendo has much to gain by promoting Minecraft at this point.

Now, DOOM Eternal...
IrYo9Wv.gif

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Well guess I'm not getting the Fighter Pass then. A Dragon Quest character is the one thing I didn't want in entirely because of Sugiyama's shitty ass.

But hey, the rest of the pass can't be any worse for me now! That's something to look forward to, I guess.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the weird kneejerk reaction against some Minecraft representation in Smash. It's visually interesting, in absolutely iconic, it's fun, it brings more diversity, some representation from the west and the indie scene where the game originated... It's just so good, it ticks all the boxes. Imagine how fun and inventive the moveset of the Minecraft guy could be, the assist trophies being ennemies like the Creeper, how creative the stage would be... Minecraft is one of the most perfect franchise to get in in terms of relevance and creativity.

Yet people act like it's lame or in bad taste or something. It's annoying how the majority of people in these circles cream themselves over Joker, a human protagonist from a very recent game and then just act like Minecraft isn't some relevant and fun franchise. I'm sorry but I want to see the Smash treatment for it, because I know we'd be in for a treat, over some cool protagonist that has the "street cred".

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
Think I'm more interested in the fact that there's already even data for this mystery character and that they're apparently in development, if stuff like their weight and run speed being in there is any indication.

Are these three coming out at the same time??

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But DQ is not just big in terms of sales, it is a legendary gaming franchise that pioneered a genre and has deep ties to Nintendo.

The problem is DQ is really only big in Japan. It's not a problem for Nintendo to want to use Smash to promote DQ for Square Enix, but it might explain why Sakurai wasn't in a hurry to have the series represented in Smash.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Every game you enjoy by every company you like has people working on it with bad opinions and beliefs that don't line up with yours. Welcome to capitalism.

Do we really need to have every fucking thread about DQ devolve into this Sugiyama shit. Yes he's an ass, can we discuss other aspects of the series for a change.

Bigotry towards LGBTQIA+ individuals & denying Japan's WWII war crimes is a bit more than just a "bad opinion," chief. Sure, most games probably have someone sketchy working on them, but usually it's something we don't know. Sugiyama wears his hate proudly on his sleeve, & we know for a fact he throws the money he makes from DQ's music behind it.

That's more than enough reason to not want a character, & this is before getting into how boring DQ is as a series, & how this feels like yet another ill-fated & ill-advised attempt by NoJ to sell DQ to an uncaring America.

I don't think niche obscure characters from Nintendo's past like Geno will ever debut as DLC. Their chance seems to be in the base game, like with K. Rool. The newcomers we've gotten via DLC have all been popular third parties or, in the case of Corrin, marketing tie-ins.

True... I was just feeling hopeful about Geno finally getting the turn Sakurai's been unintentionally teasing since Melee.

Tell me all of the dirty deets about Ike and Soren

Oh, you know they made sweet, sweet love after walking into the sunset.

Of note from that list is Falco, who, despite being popular in fanart & fanfiction, is canonically asexual (As is the Doomslayer).

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the weird kneejerk reaction against some Minecraft representation in Smash. It's visually interesting, in absolutely iconic, it's fun, it brings more diversity, some representation from the west and the indie scene where the game originated... It's just so good, it ticks all the boxes. Imagine how fun and inventive the moveset of the Minecraft guy could be, the assist trophies being ennemies like the Creeper, how creative the stage would be... Minecraft is one of the most perfect franchise to get in in terms of relevance and creativity.

Yet people act like it's lame or in bad taste or something. It's annoying how the majority of people in these circles cream themselves over Joker, a human protagonist from a very recent game and then just act like Minecraft isn't some relevant and fun franchise. I'm sorry but I want to see the Smash treatment for it, because I know we'd be in for a treat, over some cool protagonist that has the "street cred".

I personally love Minecraft but just think Steve is ugly and boring. I think Minecraft is best represented as a stage or a Creeper assist trophy. That said, there's a ton of moveset potential and if it happens, I won't be bothered. I won't be excited, but I won't be bothered.

Joker and Erdrick both bother me a ton.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
There's probably a Ninja Gaiden project coming assuming it's true. I mean Erdrick makes way less sense than Hayabusa
Dragon Quest is literally a huge culture in Japan, its influence is huge and not only on gaming. There is no bigger IP to include in Smash than DQ. Though Hayabusa is one of the characters I want in Smash as well, and he would be the best KT rep representing both classic and newer Ninja Gaiden series.
I know. But given that we got Mega Man before Monster Hunter, Ryu, and a Resident Evil character, I don't think it's all about sales. If it were all about sales, we wouldn't be getting an Atlus/SMT/Persona character at all.
I wasn't really talking about sales, in popularity DQ is really huge. Capcom has lots of series I would want to see in Smash, but I guess it would be hard to put many more of them in Smash. Mega Man "fits" the most out of the ones you mentioned. Though I expect Monster Hunter to come as well as that is huge right now as well.
Because the assumption before Erdrick would probably be Luminary if they wanted a Dragon Quest character because of XI S. Then again Steve is a part of that list and I don't know why they would want Steve in the game considering Minecraft has already worn it's relevancy for Ultimate's DLC
Erdrick/Loto is the name of the protagonist of DQ3, not DQXI. The rumor I read mentioned the character to be based on Erdrick with a female alt and DQXI alt as well. Didn't read about Minecraft (I hope that's fake).

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Bigotry towards LGBTQIA+ individuals & denying Japan's WWII war crimes is a bit more than just a "bad opinion," chief. Sure, most games probably have someone sketchy working on them, but usually it's something we don't know. Sugiyama wears his hate proudly on his sleeve, & we know for a fact he throws the money he makes from DQ's music behind it.

That's more than enough reason to not want a character, & this is before getting into how boring DQ is as a series, & how this feels like yet another ill-fated & ill-advised attempt by NoJ to sell DQ to an uncaring America.

This is it in a nutshell. Dragon Quest is generic as fuck and Erdrick has a terrible design.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm more interested in the fact that there's already even data for this mystery character and that they're apparently in development, if stuff like their weight and run speed being in there is any indication.

Piranha Plant had data already in the game when the game released, though it's been changed in this new update. I don't think it suggests the characters are coming at once.

In Smash 4, Cloud and Bayonetta had parameter placeholder data a whole seven-eight months before they got revealed (though it wasn't as defined like this), and they were released several months apart.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
The potential of a Dragon Quest character is specifically the reason why I chose not to buy the fighter pass, so while I would have preferred it not happening at all I'm at the very least glad that I chose to not buy it on impulse

Regardless, it would seem that Nintendo was set on choosing characters that could serve as advertising, and third-party ones on top of that. Probably something to keep in mind for speculation (assuming we don't get more obvious codenames in later updates)

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

I don't think they'll come with Piranha Plant (he's only a month, maybe less, away), but I could see both Joker and Erdrick being released at the same time, like how Roy/Ryu/Lucas and Bayonetta/Corrin were released at the same time.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

The characters in Minecraft are ugly as sin. The world is visually interesting. I'm all for a stage.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Thousands of people make Dragon Quest games, no single dude no matter how horrible he is would stop me from playing them.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Just don't think the game warrants an actual character. Stage, boss, or Assist Trophy would be cool but a character would be a total nothing. If nothing else Smash hasn't done anything with Tetris for ages even though it has some music in it since Brawl and Tetris is more noteworthy than Minecraft.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I personally love Minecraft but just think Steve is ugly and boring. I think Minecraft is best represented as a stage or a Creeper assist trophy. That said, there's a ton of moveset potential and if it happens, I won't be bothered. I won't be excited, but I won't be bothered.

Joker and Erdrick both bother me a ton.
For one thing I think people would have an easier time accepting aMinecraft rep if they would stop calling him "Steve". The protagonist would come in different presets, as they usually do in Smash. And its weird appearence would make for a fun and inventive moveset. Could you imagineif his up+b would be to make a collumn of dirt to climb, like millions of people did in 2010 when they discovered the game? II think it would be funny and pretty fucking cool. These are the things I'd expect from Minecraft representation.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I'd be willing to bet that Dragon Quest makes similar, if not better numbers in the West, than Bayonetta.

Somehow, I doubt this. And I'll fully admit Bayonetta sells poorly here.

Well guess I'm not getting the Fighter Pass then. A Dragon Quest character is the one thing I didn't want in entirely because of Sugiyama's shitty ass.

But hey, the rest of the pass can't be any worse for me now! That's something to look forward to, I guess.

I envy your patience...

The character himself just looks boring, though. I don't personally care for him, nor can I get hype vicariously through friends like I could for, say, Banjo. I'm sure Sakurai could make an interesting moveset for Steve, but he made an interesting moveset for ROB. His talents are better spent elsewhere.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Somehow, I doubt this. And I'll fully admit Bayonetta sells poorly here.

I envy your patience...

The character himself just looks boring, though. I don't personally care for him, nor can I get hype vicariously through friends like I could for, say, Banjo. I'm sure Sakurai could make an interesting moveset for Steve, but he made an interesting moveset for ROB. His talents are better spent elsewhere.
My only reward for getting the fighter pass is paying $25 for a caricature for a character that I actually want. If I have to pay $25 to get any noteworthy Xenoblade 2 representation then Nintendo can eat my ass and I'll just get the few characters I want like Joker.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sad this got datamined, DQ Hero revelation could have trolled Goku believers :(

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I love Dragon Quest and DQXI was my GOTY, but fuck them getting in until Sugiyama and his nonsense sorts himself out. We could get amazing songs from that series (Sugiyama is an asshole but he admittedly has talent, he phoned it the fuck in for DQXI though) but we're gonna get shit midis. Nature needs to take its course already.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Thousands of people make Dragon Quest games, no single dude no matter how horrible he is would stop me from playing them.
That one dude partially owns and makes tons of money off everything Dragon Quest that is then funneled into promoting his political agenda. It also doesn't help that he has been shit at composing since VIII

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

He's one of the ones that makes the most money, though. I can't give you the name of a beta tester for that game, but the OST apparently is no small part about Dragon Quest.

For one thing I think people would have an easier time accepting aMinecraft rep if they would stop calling him "Steve".

It's not just the name. We have a Simon, a Robin, & a Larry.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's one of the ones that makes the most money, though. I can't give you the name of a beta tester for that game, but the OST apparently is no small part about Dragon Quest.

It's not just the name. We have a Simon, a Robin, & a Larry.
Two Roys also

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
What if Sakurai appears on Microsoft's stage at E3 to announce Master Chief in Smash and then Phil appears in Nintendo's E3 direct to announce Banjo in Smash. Sony would be quaking.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steve doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I doubt Nintendo has much to gain by promoting Minecraft at this point.
I think it's the other way around, they benefit by promoting Smash to the Minecraft audience. It might sell some extra copies to those who don't have Smash. And at the very least, it's a good business by selling the DLC pack to Minecraft players who already have Smash, I bet there is a sizeable overlap.