HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A remake/remaster doesn't necessarily need to be close to the original. I doubt FF7R will look much like the original for example. Where I do agree, however, is that I believe that the devs did say that they wanted to keep true to the original so I guess you are right that their end goal should be to get it looking closer to the original. Either way I'll be happy.
Thats fair. Like my issues are minor things that I can live without, they just stick out to me somewhat. I'll be happy playing this game regardless.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Spyro being UE4 is odd since Crash used the Skylanders engine. I thought they'd both use the same one.

My gawd, is this beautiful, I might just day 1 this. Any chance Naughty Dog might do the same for Jak trilogy?
Seeing that we got the PS2 games upscaled on the PSN store makes me think that won't happen.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
6q9unxx929q01.jpg

What they hell were they thinking with this redesign? The original design was so great and everything that Activision did with Spyro after that just got progressively worse.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Basically somepeople just want an HD port???

We are getting a full remake and people complain about it "not faithfull enough!!!1". We get up res ports and people complain about it "lazy devs!!1"

Poor devs lmao
When it comes to PC they can just use reshade or something else

Or just emulate the games in HD which is no problem these days and looks great

To be fair to the author though, it does feel like the Crash remaster was a lot closer artistically to the originals

I like the look of this but I think they can improve the visuals a bit more too the colours do look a little pale tbh

And whoever said global illumination this is not it

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
A remake/remaster doesn't necessarily need to be close to the original. I doubt FF7R will look much like the original for example. Where I do agree, however, is that I believe that the devs did say that they wanted to keep true to the original so I guess you are right that their end goal should be to get it looking closer to the original. Either way I'll be happy.

I mean, FF7R is a near complete reimagining of the game's format. It's more akin to Ratchet and Clank 2016 than it is to the Crash or Spyro trilogies.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
What they hell were they thinking with this redesign? The original design was so great and everything that Activision did with Spyro after that just got progressively worse.
It was repurposed from an unrelated Fire Dragon design from an early concept where Spyro was going to be an NPC. Why they didn't change it to look more like Spyro is another question though.
secretsky_first5.jpg

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first game I ever pre-ordered. I usually think that pre-ordering games makes no sense for the consumer, but I'm so ridiculously excited for this game that it just feel right having it pre-ordered. I've been waiting for this ever since they announced the Crash trilogy back in the day, and I'm so happy it's finally happening.

Squaresoft

Jan 23, 2018
Crash has got some difficult levels
I know i liked spyro 1 back in the day, but maybe its more a real childrens game than crash is, it might be way too easy now, i dont know
With crash you can die a lot falling to your death in pits, its all about timing the whole game

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Didn't VV also use the same engine? I recall seeing the earliest prototype running on it.
I don't know what you mean exactly. VV used the Skylanders engine for Crash Bandicoot, but was not the main studio behind Skylanders (they did work on it though), while Spyro Trilogy, developed by the core team for Skylanders, Toys for Bob, is being developed with the Unreal Engine 4.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Timed exclusives are no benefit to the consumer, because the exclusivness only is a consequence of marketing money. If a console vendor makes a game or funds an outside developer (or an outside developer just decides) to make a game that wouldn't exist otherwise, that's a different thing. The benefits here are that the game even exists at all and that it is tailor-made for the specific platform, being able to make use of specific features that would be impossible or unreasonable for a multiplatform game.
It depends on the franchise, for me. Mass Effect 2 was a timed console exclusive on 360 as was Me1, technically. To this day I recognize ME as an Xbox franchise just like I recognize Spyro as a playstation mascot despite both IPs being 3rd party and multiplatform.

I didn't like when Rotr was a timed Xbone exclusive, the reasonings given made it worse, but if we pretend for a second that Me4 wasn't a disaster and instead was acclaimed like the trilogy and mS decided to moneyhat that game, I wouldn't think negatively of it, I would respect it and that might've even greatly incentivized me to buy an Xbone. I also realize I'm in the minority here but I just see things from a different perspective.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Timed exclusives are no benefit to the consumer, because the exclusivness only is a consequence of marketing money. If a console vendor makes a game or funds an outside developer (or an outside developer just decides) to make a game that wouldn't exist otherwise, that's a different thing. The benefits here are that the game even exists at all and that it is tailor-made for the specific platform, being able to make use of specific features that would be impossible or unreasonable for a multiplatform game.
They are ultimately a benefit because everyone gets to play the game in the long run. Microsoft's approach is softer because they don't require you to buy a piece of hardware to play their games, since their games are on PC. The separation between forms of exclusivity is overall rather wishy-washy, and people will convince themselves one way or the other. Like, when Sony moneyhatted Tomb Raider back in the 90s, how do we draw a line there? They gave Eidos money and Tomb Raider was console exclusive to Playstation for 4 years. One can argue this money was needed to make the games, or one could argue it was essentially a bribe, and there's no real way to prove it either way.

Look at Final Fantasy VII being console exclusive to Playstation. Did Square really NEED Sony's money to make Final Fantasy VII? That's rather dubious. But they signed an exclusivity deal with Sony that basically boiled down to Sony providing a lot of marketing money in exchange for console exclusivity.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
They are ultimately a benefit because everyone gets to play the game in the long run. Microsoft's approach is softer because they don't require you to buy a piece of hardware to play their games, since their games are on PC. The separation between forms of exclusivity is overall rather wishy-washy, and people will convince themselves one way or the other. Like, when Sony moneyhatted Tomb Raider back in the 90s, how do we draw a line there? They gave Eidos money and Tomb Raider was console exclusive to Playstation for 4 years. One can argue this money was needed to make the games, or one could argue it was essentially a bribe, and there's no real way to prove it either way.

Look at Final Fantasy VII being console exclusive to Playstation. Did Square really NEED Sony's money to make Final Fantasy VII? That's rather dubious. But they signed an exclusivity deal with Sony that basically boiled down to Sony providing a lot of marketing money in exchange for console exclusivity.
Sony moneyhatted Tomb Raider yet it appear on the Saturn at the same time? Sony helped with FFVII marketing however that wasn't the reason it didn't release on other platforms (Nintendo).

Livia

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Bergen
Was the Spyro games hard at all? Or could you just breeze through the levels? I probably wont buy if its insanely easy, pretty graphics aint enough

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony moneyhatted Tomb Raider yet it appear on the Saturn at the same time?
Tomb Raider was released on Saturn originally. Then Tomb Raider was ported to PS1. (And later PC.) Between Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider 2, Eidos signed a contract with Sony that resulted in the games being console exclusive to Playstation until 2000, when they appeared on Dreamcast with Tomb Raider 4. It's rather glaring that Tomb Raider 2 and 3 are missing from Dreamcast. And Tomb Raider N64, which was in development around the time Toby Gard left the company in protest of the sexualization of Lara Croft, mysteriously disappeared without a trace.
Sony helped with FFVII marketing however that wasn't the reason it didn't release on other platforms (Nintendo).
In exchange for Sony's money, Square were legally barred from releasing games on Nintendo home console platforms. (But as with the Eidos contract, there was no issue releasing games on PC.)

This is why Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles was published by "The Game Designers Studio", a shell corporation designed to wriggle out of their exclusivity contract with Sony by only owning 49% of said shell corporation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_Designers_Studio

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Was the Spyro games hard at all? Or could you just breeze through the levels? I probably wont buy if its insanely easy, pretty graphics aint enough

getting to the end of most levels isnt that tough, it wasnt meant to be.

Finding the secrets, challenges and doing the side quests takes a lot more time than just going to the end of the level.

You can run to the end of the level in 15 mins, or get sidetracked by a skateboarding minigame for 2 hours

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Trouble with the trolley eh

Do people really have trouble with this mingame? It's not hard, it's just long. It certainly isn't Molten Crater snowflake challenge or Fracture Hills Hunter/Alchemist challenge annoying.

I think Spyro 2 certainly has the hardest minigames, Yeti boxing aside.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say the original Spyro's pretty difficult at times, nowhere near on the level of Crash but it has its moments.

But yeah the sequels have a couple of difficult minigames.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Original Spyro has some great platforming challenges! Like trying to figure out how to get on to some platforms at Wizards Peak. I was so proud of myself when i figured that out as a kid.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is there much of a market for these kind of games in 2018 outside of nostalgic fans like us?

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
is there much of a market for these kind of games in 2018 outside of nostalgic fans like us?
Crash sold at least 2.5m copies from launch to September. There's either an enormous market for nostalgia (there is) or the market for Crash and Spyro is actually quite wide.

MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Crash sold at least 2.5m copies since September. There's either an enormous market for nostalgia (there is) or the market for Crash and Spyro is actually quite wide.
Not to mention that both franchises appeal greatly to kids and other audiences that missed the originals.

That's one of the great things about these remasters.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i'm pretty certain games like these also sell great towards children; when parents see they can buy three games for $40 with simple gameplay and cute bright graphics i can definitely imagine them buying it soon as a gift for their child.

Oct 25, 2017
Any PS4Pro enhancements? HDR?

In case anyone is having issues preordering the PS4 version on the US Amazon website:

For some reason only the XB1 version shows up when you search. However, when you click on it from the main search page, you will have the option to select the PS4 version from the 'Versions' tab.

Last edited:

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I never played Spyro so I played Spyro 1 up to the Beast Makers realm. I think this is pretty boring. I know it's an old game but the level design just doesn't do it for me. The worlds are too flat instead of tall, so you have very little platforming but a lot of running around and headbutting (or fire spraying) things. The bosses are not good.

So is Spyro 2 better?

MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I never played Spyro so I played Spyro 1 up to the Beast Makers realm. I think this is pretty boring. I know it's an old game but the level design just doesn't do it for me. The worlds are too flat instead of tall, so you have very little platforming but a lot of running around and headbutting (or fire spraying) things. The bosses are not good.

So is Spyro 2 better?
Absolutely. Spyro 2 and 3 give you more to do whether it be powerups, mini games, or skating rings. :D

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017

So is Spyro 2 better?

At it's core it's the same gameplay, but Spyro 2 adds powerups, challenges/minigames, more story and the levels don't follow a theme like the first game and are all unique. There are even background story plots between some levels you might not notice at first. Spyro 2 is often the favourite of the three. Spyro 3 is basically the same a 2 but with extra characters to play as (and skateboarding LOL). If it's the level design that bores you i think 2/3 are a step up from that, but if it's the core gameplay (flame enemies, headbutt metal enemies) that's pretty much the same in all three.

Sun_Gaming_YT

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
Trouble with the trolley eh

I hate that bird.

Do people really have trouble with this mingame? It's not hard, it's just long. It certainly isn't Molten Crater snowflake challenge or Fracture Hills Hunter/Alchemist challenge annoying.

I think Spyro 2 certainly has the hardest minigames, Yeti boxing aside.

It was the first time, with repeated playthroughs, it's no big deal now... I still hate that bird though.

Also, *fuck* that snowflake challenge and that Alchemist challenge AND the Skelos Badlands dinosaur eggs.

I swear Yeti Boxing has some RNG to it...

Wasn't Tree Tops pretty bullshit if you wanted to 100% it?

Yeah, you have to go through a really-not-intuitive long-ass Supercharge chain and glide all the way to a hidden dragon.

When Spyro finally gets there, he's like "WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GET STUCK WAY OUT HERE!?"
so the devs know what pain you would go through to reach that dragon.

Haunted Towers has a similar dragon IIRC.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
IIt was the first time, with repeated playthroughs, it's no big deal now... I still hate that bird though.

Also, *fuck* that snowflake challenge and that Alchemist challenge AND the Skelos Badlands dinosaur eggs.

I swear Yeti Boxing has some RNG to it...

Oh god, i forgot about the Skelos Badlands one. Gonna be some frustration 100%ing this. I usually skip all those on replays.

Yeti boxing is just "spam jab; you may or may not win" LOL

Tree Tops and Haunted Towers have the best dragons. Also love the perma-super flame.