• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
This thread is just saying that there will be English text in the Asian releases. The other thread was about actual Western releases. Not a duplicate.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that wasn't really a duplicate thread seeing as this one wasn't made with the pretense of them being released in NA/Europe and would have almost forced you to make a different region eshop account or import a cart from Play Asia (which I understand some do not want to give them business)

Oh well great news we did it fam

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix will release the Switch versions of Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line, and Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation via the Nintendo eShop in the west day-and-date with their Japanese release on September 27 for $4.99, $6.49, and $12.49
oh, not bad. good prices.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Good grief, though, it's pretty damn ugly..

Why do Square always "remake" sprites in these things?

rszHVHe.png

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Submitted request to unlock other thread or update title for this thread.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

I guess they decided to smoothen/redraw the sprites because they figured they'd otherwise look bad on a big screen. I wish they'd have just offered a good CRT filter instead... It's a shame because the mobile versions the new ports are based on still had the original sprites.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I know i know, least effort possible. But i wonder why DQEX is so reluctant to "remaster" these game based on the engine of the DS remasters / DQ XI's 2D mode.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I may still try and track down the physical copy, but poor porting decisions aside, better than it not existing at all..

rszHVHe.png
Didn't you hear, pixels are evil.

Something like the Mana Collection would have been much better.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
The translations are super extravagant and really the preferred way to play if you're used to modern DQ games. But with mobile you're stuck portrait mode and touch controls. Plus the graphics for 1 and 2 have that awful stretched tile enhancement thing going on kinda like the mobile FF releases. 3 is fine for the most part (IMO) except they actually remove a good chunk of content: Monster animations, title screen intro, and Treasure and Trapdoor/pachiisi minigames

A real shame we couldn't get a remake looking like this.

IgtO9OB.png

So pretty...
Anyone take a good look at the PS4 versions of the 1-3? First impressions tell me that they're nicer looking full screen versions of the mobile ports.

Don't know if 3 has the missing T'nT minigame the mobile version excised but they all use Toriyama's illustrations for the enemy art. A YMMV change up to the classic sprites.

I think the Switch version will be based on these ports.

I'd go with the fan translated SFC versions personally. Though the translation for 3 is a bit eh.

1&2 patch = http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=19449.msg313144#msg313144
3 patch = http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1323/

There is no perfect version as these predate the GBC ports which added some stuff (3 in particular has an extra dungeon in GBC), but then you also have the usual GBC graphics and truncated dialogue but on balance when I replay I usually do with SFC.
looks like crappy mobile versions

So awful sprites, no ice cave from GBC, no monster animations from SFC, no Pachisi

If newcomers on this thread need a refresher on what to expect

rszHVHe.png
lmao yeah please don't play these versions I beg you

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

rszHVHe.png
yeah these versions aren't pretty. they're based on the shitty mobile versions. i'm still buying them cuz i wanted to play them but can't be bothered to do it on my phone, but they're definitely not the best versions of the games, at least visually. the SNES versions are infinitely better looking.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
What's the chances of other versions coming out to the West like PS4 or pc?

Or is Nintendo again only publishing these?

Anyways may as well get these remakes

Only played the originals on NES

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they separate releases? That's super weird.

I may hold off on DQXI till I've played 1-3 now. It'll be good for my September wallet issues XD

Woooooo!!!!!!

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Is there a company worse at exploiting their back catalog of legendary games than Square-Enix?

They're either buggy, have "improvements" nobody asked for, or (usually) both.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
If newcomers on this thread need a refresher on what to expect

lmao yeah please don't play these versions I beg you

People saying not to play this version... but the OP here (A Guide for Getting Into Dragon Quest) says mobile version for 1-3 is actually what they recommend.

Dragon Quest I said:
Unless you really want the original experience, I would recommend either the GBC or mobile version
Dragon Quest II said:
So, same deal. If you don't mind the sprite issues and don't mind the touch controls, spring for the mobile version
Dragon Quest III said:
I'll discuss the mobile version first since that's actually my recommendation for which version to play. It is the most accessible version, features the most recent/accurate retranslation, and - perhaps most importantly - doesn't have any of the graphical problems that DQI and DQII on mobile had.

Is the OP wrong?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'll take these versions tbh. The SNES remakes were fairly low budget for the time. Amusingly despite its popularity Dragon Quest games only started to look really good with VIII on PS2. They always paled in comparison to other stuff on the system they released.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take these versions tbh. The SNES remakes were fairly low budget for the time. Amusingly despite its popularity Dragon Quest games only started to look really good with VIII on PS2. They always paled in comparison to other stuff on the system they released.

Yea, they were always woefully behind in visuals even for their time of release.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017

Yea, they were always woefully behind in visuals even for their time of release.

The SNES remakes were low budget, but at least they looked okay.

This? I ain't paying S-E $12.49 to jam a pair of scissors into my eyes.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
isn't that weird? after not publishing builders 1 and 2 and DQ 11 on switch, 7 and 8 on 3DS, and a bunch of games on the DS, they're now publishing this one themselves.

Maybe because it's a digital only release?

Stuff like Oninaki is, at least going by the game's listing in the Nintendo web store, published by them. So is iirc the Mana Collection. The latter one does have a retail release, though it's said to be a limited one.

Other DQ games on Switch so far were all retail + digital.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The SNES remakes were low budget, but at least they looked okay.

This? I ain't paying S-E $12.49 to jam a pair of scissors into my eyes.

It's up to you, my dude. They look fine to me but I do wish they gave us options. It's just this is my only option to play these games officially. Don't like playing on mobile.

B. Spaceman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
The remake of DQ3 wasn't low budget at all, it was a gorgeous game made in the same style of DQ6

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
People saying not to play this version... but the OP here (A Guide for Getting Into Dragon Quest) says mobile version for 1-3 is actually what they recommend.

Is the OP wrong?
I understand the OP trying to recommend the most convenient and easier-to-buy versions of these games but yeah he also recommends the great GBC ports and literally states that if you don't mind ugly-ass games you can still go for the mobile versions. But I don't believe SE deserves any kind of money for this botched job. If you want to support DQ, just buy DQXI.
We're talking retro ports from SE here, there was never any hope it would be good, just less bad.
No reason we should lower our standards because SE is too incompetent to pump something decent

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
lmao what the fuck are those visuals. We get the privilege of paying extra for ports that somehow look than the mobile versions. I'll end up buying these anyway just to support the franchise in the West, but goddamn it S-E.