• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also all of yall saying that FF7R was disappointing sales-wise for Square:

tenor.gif

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I keep telling them to do a high budget Valkyrie Profile and a high budget Star Ocean, and FF Tactics. and a XIII Trilogy Remaster.. On top of VII2, XVI, and Athia.. They can release so much for money but they a very picky with what they work on.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
For the talks and jokes about FF7 Remake being Square Enix last resort if they ever be in troubling waters financially-wise, it underperformed badly. Huge frontloaded sales but weak long-standing sales/"legs". Thinking about, PS4 exclusivity was a short-sighted financial decision. Hopefully the Xbox Series/Steam port will give a breadth of new sales for them.

lmao, this shit again.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The game got middling reviews and negative word of mouth before it was released(Spiderman being PS4 exclusive and the revelation that it's going to be a GaaS game), so I'm not surprised at all that it underperformed.

I personally lost interest in the game when I found out that it was going to be a GaaS game. They had a perfectly good template in Insomniac's Spiderman to create a story-focused game.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah SE has never said they're unhappy with the sales numbers for FFVIIR. I think it's just you and others projecting what they think are good or bad numbers.

It was the same tune with XV. That game was profitable from day one and people still liked to talk about how sales were disappointing and whatnot.

The days of SE shooting for the stars is long gone, since Matsuda became CEO and since XIV began bringing in the money.
Yep, it's tales from my ass. Imran said SE were so impressed with VIIR sales that they've expanded the scope for the sequel. XV did sell better, and honesty that surprised me, but it just shows how well XV did. Plus VIIR had no post release support like XV, rumours are that instead we'll see an expanded next gen version. Once that is released across platforms we'll have a better idea of which game did 'better', but honestly it doesn't even matter as VIIR did amazingly.

I will both admit that I'm working off info I've heard elsewhere and can fully concede to being wrong on all of it. My bad, honestly.

It shipped that in 24 hours not sold .
Shipped and sold not the same .
Still it hard to compare FFXV and FFVIIR because of how things end up working out . ( covid , shipments , DD etc etc )

The quick Googling I did said sold for FFXV, not shipped. >_>

what the hell is "HD games"? Aren't all of their games in HD in 2020? This is some weird leftover term from 2005.

It doesn't count their mobile games. I also don't believe it counts FFXIV either but I clearly ain't batting 1000 so yeah. >_>

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
What developers have to learn is that is not enough to just put a well know franchise outside of gaming into videogame form and have it just be average and expect it to sold amazing based on name alone. The medium and consumer's expectations are different, and they need to do better to get better word of mouth next time.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Another GaaS that has a useless "beta" and launches in a broken state didn't sell as well as execs expect? I'm shocked.

I really hope they stick with it and can turn this around since it can be genuine fun and has a good core. The game is finally getting into a playable state and has some new content coming.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Always great to see armchair analysts come in with claims that "everything should be ported everywhere, that's why you're losing money" acting as if they know more about the company's financials/capabilities/the overall industry than the company itself.
Your talking about a company that managed to lose money on an avengers game a multi-billion dollar multi-media franchise.

The idea that the architects of feat while as being a sizeable publisher are project managenent genius' beyond criticism is quite a stretch. Their shareholders wondered how they managed to do that for good reason.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Yeah SE has never said they're unhappy with the sales numbers for FFVIIR. I think it's just you and others projecting what they think are good or bad numbers.

It was the same tune with XV. That game was profitable from day one and people still liked to talk about how sales were disappointing and whatnot.

The days of SE shooting for the stars is long gone, since Matsuda became CEO and since XIV began bringing in the money.

Yosuke Mastuda has managed Square Enix far better than Yoichi Wada ever did especially when it came to the Final Fantasy brand.

This is an interesting point. I do wonder if doing something similar to what SIE did a few years back with stopping duplication of roles where possible and making more decisions company wise would work. The Japanese divisions and the western SE divisions feel like they have no link at all between them, at least from an outside view. Consolidation doesn't always work but having a leaner focus across teams and management personnel could help to streamline approach to each project.

At this point, they have to. Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal have a wealth of intellectual properties they can dabble in and it would be smarter for Square Enix to have a studio head from either of the two studios to be the creative overseer and negotiator representing Square Enix Europe as opposed to sticking with the current Square Enix Europe executives who still run the subsidiary like the Eidos Interactive days.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
They should have eaten their pork buns to be whole men. This is SE's problem.

Revive Sleepy Dogs and they'd get the money they want
For real. I really think Sleeping Dogs has the most potential out of all their western IPs and Square missed out on a truckload of money by not making a sequel. How many other non-GTA urban sandbox games are received so well?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
You DEX fans are getting worse and worse by the time it passes. It comparable to Metroid fans, another IP that sell shit but fans think they're entitled to get new entries every generation. The IP don't sell well and therefore was put on hold. Game Companies won't develop new games based on existing IP for charity. Deus EX HR sold okayish, MD sold badly. Maybe one day SQEnix will greenlight a new game budgeted accordingly to the game low sales performance expectations.
I guess we're gonna ignore all the publishing decisions around Mankind Divided that garnered it negative word of mouth and scared off potential Day 1 buyers, then?

If Squeeenix avoided the ridiculous marketing campaign, didn't nickel and dime content, didn't crowbar in a multi-player mode designed to sell micro-transactions, whose relevance to the story isn't explained until the end of the 1st DLC, didn't do the "augment your pre-order" crowdfunding parody, etc, then maybe all reviews would've talked about how brilliant the level design was, instead of all the other crap; maybe more people would've played the meaty side-quests, instead of complaining about the truncated story;

Mankind Divided was set up for failure, because the marketing around it screamed "we have no faith in this product, that's why we wanna squeeze every penny out of it" . And it became a self-fulfilling prophecy: the message was so loud, people saw it and didn't buy the game, until it went on sales.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hold up - how are some people equating "HD games underperformed due to disappointed Avenger's sales" to "FFVII Remake was a commercial disappointment"?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are projecting on FFVIIR based on it not meeting their own expectations and the drop off in interest post launch.
It sold well and surely turned a profit. But it got absolutely outsold many times ovet by another one platform exclusive with talking animals that launched around the same time and no one talks about FVIIR anymore

For an episodic game you want interest to remain high to juice sales of the next game but at this rate its quite possible the next entry will underperform the 1st if it launches exclusively on the PS5 in the next few years to a much smaller installed base and without the novelty and "omg remake" factor of the 1st.

Last edited:

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Your talking about a company that managed to lose money on an avengers game a multi-billion dollar multi-media franchise.

The idea that the architects of feat while as being a sizeable publisher are project managenent genius' beyond criticism is quite a stretch. Their shareholders wondered how they managed to do that for good reason.

Nah, I'm saying they're probably smarter than your random forum member who acts like these things are obvious and doesn't have access to all the information.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, I'm saying they're probably smarter than your random forum member who acts like these things are obvious and doesn't have access to all the information.
You don't need access to all the information to be able to spot some clear misplays developers make. They happen so often with such consistency it's hard to miss them. There are countless number of articles and public statements where publisher or developer had stated they didn't plan on making a sku for such and such platform and only did so because the first party approached them (or fans loudly requested it) and said SKU ended being the highest selling version.

This is despite them knowing through the market research that they did that many games in that genre have sold well on that platform. It happens so regularly an example that happened this past week. There's a reason why their shareholders ask them these questions.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are projecting on FFVIIR based on it not meeting their own expectations and the drop off in interest post launch.
It sold well and surely turned a profit. But it got absolutely outsold many times ovet by another one platform exclusive with talking animals that launched around the same time and no one talks about FVIIR anymore

For an episodic game you want interest to remain high to juice sales of the next game but at this rate its quite possible the next entry will underperform the 1st if it launches exclusively on the PS5 in the next few years to a much smaller installed base and without the novelty and "omg remake" factor of the 1st.
Literally every main Animal Crossing game except the first one and City Folk have out sold every Final Fantasy game besides FFVII - although NH has surpassed its sales number and OG VII's sales numbers are probably as high as they are now because of all the rereleases VII has had over a 20+ year period. I don't get why people still think VIIR would've out sold a new AC, a game that can be enjoyed by a lot more people, when there's no precedence for FF outselling that series in the first place. It reads like gamers thinking the more 'adult' game deserves more sales than the 'kiddy' looking one or something.

Last edited:

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need access to all the information to be able to spot some clear misplays developers make. They happen so often with such consistency it's hard to miss them. There are countless number of articles and public statements where publisher or developer had stated they didn't plan on making a sku for such and such platform and only did so because the first party approached them (or fans loudly requested it) and said SKU ended being the highest selling version.

This is despite them knowing through the market research that they did that many games in that genre have sold well on that platform. It happens so regularly an example that happened this past week. There's a reason why their shareholders ask them these questions.

My point is we don't have the complete set of information regarding why these things happening, and of course shareholders are going to ask questions like this as they only really see the bottom line. There are reasons these things happen throughout the pipeline that we're not privy to.

If random forum members here legitimately believe they know more about how square works and what's best for them, then I have some bridges to sell.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Literally every main Animal Crossing game except the first one and City Folk have out sold every Final Fantasy game besides FFVII - although NH has surpassed its sales number and OG VII's sales numbers are probably as high as they are now because of all the rereleases VII has had over a 20+ year period. I don't get why people still think VIIR would've out sold a new AC, a game that can be enjoyed by a lot more people, when there's no precedence for FF outselling that series in the first place. It reads feels like gamers thinking the more 'adult' game deserves more sales than the 'kiddy' looking one or something.

IT's hilarious. One of the more popular FFs ( on this forum ) FF12 sold about 5-7 Million. FF7:RE already reached 5 Million after a few months. The game is an absolut success and will keep on selling in the future due to releases on other platform, releases of sequels and remastered versions.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Also all of yall saying that FF7R was disappointing sales-wise for Square:

tenor.gif

Honestly think its just people trying to poke holes, Remake did very good and when the PC and Xbox Versions are released look to see another few million added to the list.

Whomever decided that AVENGERS needed to be GaaS game needs to be fired what a stupid idea... Some people still trying to defend GaaS on their podcast.. which I know got a hefty chunk of advertising revenue for covering avengers extensively.

For me 2021 Square is interesting.. FFXVI for extensively purposes I believe is an early 2022 game, expect a massive dump of info around E3 time. FF7Remake Part 2 I know is in active development to to the point motion capture artists have been working with them in the last 6 months.

The XIV Expansion I reckon is delayed by a few months and will probably release Sept as Yoshi P zI recall said they were around 3 months behind schedule due to COVID. Nier is doing well and DQ has acheived some success but yeah its the western side of square having issues at the moment.

Square Europe is a fun read if you do research, lots of issues management (executive level) and QA staff are temps mostly unless you fall into certain circumstances.. Glassdoor is your friend...

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Still baffles me how you have the hottest IP around and manage to make a game that underperforms

Hopefully studios learn from that, but they won't

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
Some more quotes:

I hate corporate gibberish, I think that the weaker your management/strategy is, the more of this shit you are going to use in your meetings. Yes, for someone who will miss the joke, these are the corporate generator quotes...

Huh? I don't get the point of this, the answers they actually gave are pretty insightful and easy to understand for those in the industry.

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? I don't get the point of this, the answers they actually gave are pretty insightful and easy to understand for those in the industry.

Q: You say that initial sales of "Marvel's Avengers" were lower than you had expected. Were the reasons for that not something you could have anticipated and done something about?

A: We engaged in ample preparations ahead of the launch, but it is true that there were aspects in which we were wanting. We intend to leverage the lessons we learned from this experience in future game development efforts.

Some aspects were "wanting", and lessons learned. At no point SE details failures, reasons or lessons.

Q: What do you expect the profitability of "Marvel's Avengers" to look like in 3Q?

A: Our intention is first and foremost to work to expand sales in order to improve its profitability.

Expand sales to improve profitability. No intention of detailing what those sales expansions or profitability will look like.

For you, if it is insightful, you have to detail what happened with Avengers. In SE words: what went wrong, what have they learned, and what is their plan moving forward. They spoke about these aspects.

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
Some aspects were "wanting", and lessons learned. At no point SE details failures, reasons or lessons.

Expand sales to improve profitability. No intention of detailing what those sales expansions or profitability will look like.

For you, if it is insightful, you have to detail what happened with Avengers. In SE words: what went wrong, what have they learned, and what is their plan moving forward. They spoke about these aspects.

I thought they made it pretty clear in the limited time they had for the call. COVID 19 screwed up their marketing plans, more content planned going forwards to try and increase sales and pay off development costs. What were you expecting? They have like 1 minute to answer these questions, its not meant to be an internal post mortem into what went wrong with the launch, it's a quarterly earnings call.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
IT's hilarious. One of the more popular FFs ( on this forum ) FF12 sold about 5-7 Million. FF7:RE already reached 5 Million after a few months. The game is an absolut success and will keep on selling in the future due to releases on other platform, releases of sequels and remastered versions.
XII fans being so concerned about VIIR sales will always be absolutely hilarious.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

People will argue until the publisher is flat out shuttered that "obviously they know what they're doing" even if the numbers tell a different story. We've seen enough statements to know that a lot of platform decisions are made by a few people on a whim, or on a basis no more solid than your average forum post.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
After PS4's Spiderman, it's hard for me to comprehend how a company could fck up sure-fire hot selling brand like Avengers.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still amazes me how you take a franchise at the top of the world, especially with Endgame being released, and fuck it up like this.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Avengers will be able to turn things around...I hope so, don't particularly want it to fail

It'd dead, Jim dot gif

I think it would probably have a better chance if there were movies releasing that they could cross-promote it with, but Disney is leaving them in the cold there. Pretty much everything they make now is potentially up to go on D+ at launch - except the Marvel stuff. They're intent on not eating shit on any of those releases, it seems.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought they made it pretty clear in the limited time they had for the call. COVID 19 screwed up their marketing plans, more content planned going forwards to try and increase sales and pay off development costs. What were you expecting? They have like 1 minute to answer these questions, its not meant to be an internal post mortem into what went wrong with the launch, it's a quarterly earnings call.

If I am asked what kind of profitability I expect, my answer would be in the fucking numbers or estimations. Answering more sales and profit is vacuous.

And by the fucking way, you didn't even understand the answer. They didn't attribute the failure to marketing, they justify the high costs in the quarter because of the delayed marketing plans from the previous quarter.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Avengers as GaaS killed a lot of the hype, and their showings were always weak. Also having some random people sit on a sofa talking about the game instead of showing some cool moments is probably one of the most weird E3 segments ever.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Almost unbelievable they screwed this up so badly. I can't see them turning it around

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand how you fuck up an Avengers game after gangbusters Spiderman did by himself.

How did they spend that much money for that game to look that bad.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
How do fuck up a high budget Avengers game in a year where people are starved for Marvel content.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet they managed to come out in a pretty good spot. They've managed to make two whole Hitman sequels since, and are now making a James Bond game.
Seemed like it was amicable?

www.gamesindustry.biz

"It's not Hitman without IO": Why Square Enix set the franchise free

It was one of the biggest shock news stories the games industry has seen all year: Square Enix planned to sell IO Inter…

And they seem to be doing better than Square Enix's Western studios. At least I don't recall a 67 million loss.
that just goes to show that SEE's management isn't very good. the talent was there, but the poor management figured it was better to sell them or let them go. probably the same management that bunged up Tomb Raider and Deus Ex and now Avengers

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
As much as Mankind Divided's sales underperformed, it wasn't an abject failure or cost the company $67 million. Chased that Avenger's money right into the garbage bin.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

How is Animal Crossing even remotely relevant to measuring the success of Final Fantasy VII Remake?