Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Standalone ships in the Anniversary sale certainly have better insurance than any normally available ships, but I don't think that somebody who just got into the game should really be pushed in that direction. Spending money on ships should ideally be an extension of trust in the project and wanting to support the game more, not an act to capitalize on insurance extensions during limited ship sales. Unless they planned from the get go to pledge considerably more than a base package on the project, and understand the risks in doing so, that sort of purchase is a road to buyers remorse. All ships will be available in the end game for $0 after all.

If after getting more acquainted with the project they decide to put more money into it, there's always the future ship concept sales and Anniversary sales at that.

jaaz

Oct 25, 2017
Standalone ships in the Anniversary sale certainly have better insurance than any normally available ships, but I don't think that somebody who just got into the game should really be pushed in that direction. Spending money on ships should ideally be an extension of trust in the project and wanting to support the game more, not an act to capitalize on insurance extensions during limited ship sales. Unless they planned from the get go to pledge considerably more than a base package on the project, and understand the risks in doing so, that sort of purchase is a road to buyers remorse. All ships will be available in the end game for $0 after all.

If after getting more acquainted with the project they decide to put more money into it, there's always the future ship concept sales and Anniversary sales at that.

Agreed. But no one here is pushing anyone towards buying ships, or did I miss something?

To be clear, what Zalu says about funding the game is correct. I'll repeat what I said:

"As others have said, you should buy a basic package first with the game and a starter ship. Then, if you want to pledge more to the game development, you can buy an additional ship during the anniversary sale starting this Friday. "

The 60 months' insurance on ships is a benefit of buying a ship during the Anniversary Sale--just like being able to buy ships not otherwise available during the year--but that should not be the deciding factor in deciding whether to fund the development of the game further. Supporting this game by buying ships pre-release has tangible risks--just like other crowdfunded or "early access" games--not to mention that the game is years from a "public" release. There will plenty of other opportunities and Anniversary Sales to buy ships and fund the game further if one so decides, just as there are opportunities to fund the game's development by other means such as by becoming a monthly subscriber.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. But no one here is pushing anyone towards buying ships, or did I miss something?

It wasn't your intent, but it was the ending part of this statement that prompted my response.
Then, if you want to pledge more to the game development, you can buy an additional ship during the anniversary sale starting this Friday.
Basically I just don't think that your average person that bought a starter pack a day ago will be knowledgeable enough about the status of the game to make a rational call about dropping more money into its funding by this Friday. I mean, I jumped into backing with a $400 package years ago so that might seem hypocritical of me, but I had also been following the game closely for months leading up to that purchase, and generally tracking it from the original Kickstarter. Granted the sale does go all the way to the 4th of December, so there's some time for them to get acquainted with everything, but you're still technically in the "honeymoon" phase at that point.

I'm just very cautious about even mentioning getting extra ships to brand new folk. Seen too many burn themselves by over-pledging in the beginning before they truly understood what they were getting into. I mean, I'm more than willing to help anybody spend as much money funding the project as they want to, but they damned well better know what they're getting into. The game's hardly a scam, but funding it is a risk. While we're at peace with what we've dumped into the game over the years, and understand that it might all vanish into the ether without a product to show for it, many people aren't of the same mentality (and frankly shouldn't be crowdfunding because of that).

Then you have the folk that think they're going to become gods by dumping tons of money into it like a P2W game. While I won't say that no benefits are conferred to the people that pledge a lot, they're not remotely proportional to the cost. The most expensive ships tend to be the biggest and have the highest upkeep in the game. Ships that where even if they do provide an objective advantage over others, make it hard to actually realize that advantage by crew requirements etc. Even in the case of solo ships where they're fully usable by the buyer, they're still just ships that are available in game for anybody to earn.

So yeah, properly understanding the game(s) and the development of them is critical to responsible backing.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it's too late to point out that any potential new folk would be best off waiting for the sale later this week as there's a good chance that it'll have discounted starter packages.
Yeah if you want to refresh a page all day and have a very minimal chance of getting a $5-10 discounted package, that won't include SQ42.

jaaz

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't your intent, but it was the ending part of this statement that prompted my response.

You read way too much into that factual statement, but let's move on as I don't want to detract from the valid points we are both making regarding knowing what you are getting by pledging more money through the purchase of ships. Which is especially important on the eve of an Anniversary Sale. No one wants disillusioned backers--not even CIG I would imagine.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if you want to refresh a page all day and have a very minimal chance of getting a $5-10 discounted package, that won't include SQ42.
Packages don't have SQ42 by default now regardless. The discounted packs don't sell out that quickly either. It's hardly a "very minimal" chance of getting one of the thousands that go up for sale.

Zabojnik

Oct 28, 2017
Very interesting Subscriber's Town Hall this month. Tons of great & practical info on cargo and insurance in 3.0 and beyond. Many pertinent 'what happens if I ...' questions answered, the hour flew by.

OP
OP
Raticus79

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting Subscriber's Town Hall this month. Tons of great & practical info on cargo and insurance in 3.0 and beyond. Many pertinent 'what happens if I ...' questions answered, the hour flew by.

Beard required for front row seating!

Yeah, some really good talk there about gameplay stuff. They're up front about what's in and what's not, which is nice.

---

Fixed up the holiday livestream line in the OP - it could have been read to mean Squadron 42 was actually coming out that day.

Also shuffled around the sections a bit to put the ship threads after the original "just get a base package and check out the org" blurb.

Added a link to the anniversary sale schedule at the bottom. Wonder if they'll do anything special for Black Friday.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/home-featured-content/16249-The-Anniversary-Special

Also a new "ship wrangling 101" bit at the bottom to explain how LTI tokens work, so people don't miss out on potential LTI for any ships they do pick up in the sale.

Last edited:

Zabojnik

Oct 28, 2017
DPQXyZxUEAAx6jE.jpg:large

OP
OP
Raticus79

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finishing up a 3.0 thread now. A few of us got in, but most are still waiting. There should be a bunch of us in there tomorrow though. I'll probably post it tomorrow morning.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
How would one get access to PTU? I am an original 2012 kickstarter backer but it is greyed out, I remember when I last played when Arena Commander was first released that PTU then was given in waves according to your backer number. Is it still like that?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
How would one get access to PTU? I am an original 2012 kickstarter backer but it is greyed out, I remember when I last played when Arena Commander was first released that PTU then was given in waves according to your backer number. Is it still like that?
These days ptu wave numbers are nominally ordered by those that submit bug reports and by activity. Further waves are given to subscribers and concierge members, then there are a further two or so waves after that.

Last edited:

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I see thanks, I guess I'll just wait for the public 3.0 release then.
If you were really interested in getting into the PTU, you could drop $10 and sub for a month. I wouldn't recommend doing it purely for access to a test release, but I would recommend it for at least a month for access to the vault and Jump Point archive.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey gang, I've just applied for admission into org. Please accept.

BTW that Hawk really resonates with me. It might just be the first serious ship purchase for me.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
That Hammerhead is sexy af. Just another thing to make me jealous of all you PTU folks.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Since I'll be unable to play for quite a while, could some of you fine folks say how atmospheric flight feels?

From what I remember, there is dynamic drag based on cross section, air turbulence and, or course, gravity. But how does it feel? Is flight at a high velocity while entering or skimming atmo a different experience from being close to the ground? More generally, does Item 2.0 change some things already?

This is one of those things I'm dying to know and I have no idea when I'll be able to play so thanks :).

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Since I'll be unable to play for quite a while, could some of you fine folks say how atmospheric flight feels?

From what I remember, there is dynamic drag based on cross section, air turbulence and, or course, gravity. But how does it feel? Is flight at a high velocity while entering or skimming atmo a different experience from being close to the ground? More generally, does Item 2.0 change some things already?

This is one of those things I'm dying to know and I have no idea when I'll be able to play so thanks :).

I haven't tested every moon yet but so for it seems as if there is a difference based on size of planetary body and make up of atmosphere. Celin gave less of a visual response when entering atmo and flight in comparison to Daymar. Have a feeling this is intentional and mean that you cannot expect a uniform performance when in a planets or moons atmosphere. Item 2.0 feels more immersive and at the same time more tedious. It is appreciated but I expect more shortcuts (such as F5 to start ship) to come in terms of interaction. But you can tell that it is something that is going to be needed because the game will demand more specific interaction and selection choices as more mechanics are introduced.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Two underwhelming anniversary ATV eps in a row. Hopefully the Consolidated Outland one brings them back to to the level of the first two. Probably will thanks to it having a new concept sale to go with it.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
As a 600i owner... can't help but feel smug that it will get finished first before 890J and 300 series rework.

just for good measure

Don't worry, I doubt it will compare with how smug I'll feel watching you from the deck of my 890 Jump when it comes out. ;)

I'm looking forward to my 600i Explorer too. Also the 300 series rework for my 350R.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I've been away from this game for most of the last year or two. Have they mentioned if and how they will balance the game to account for people with tons of ships at start vs those who will eventually earn them in-game?

I am going to start with more than I need and would rather have to work up to it and earn my ships somehow (it would be more rewarding and a better rpg experience for me personally). Seems more likely that everyone will blanket start with whatever they've bought.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I've been away from this game for most of the last year or two. Have they mentioned if and how they will balance the game to account for people with tons of ships at start vs those who will eventually earn them in-game?

I am going to start with more than I need and would rather have to work up to it and earn my ships somehow (it would be more rewarding and a better rpg experience for me personally). Seems more likely that everyone will blanket start with whatever they've bought.

There is no win state in the game. You can really only fly one ship at a time. The only difference is between single player ships defined by purpose or multicrew ships defined by purpose. Multicrew ships will be more expensive to man, maintain and to lose. The balance is built into the purpose of the ships. And in SC really worrying about what other people have shouldn't be a concern unless you plan on being a pirate or purposely engaging in PvP often. If you do I would suggest holding off and doing PvE content or joining crew of another ship until you have the funds to get your desired ship.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
There is no win state in the game. You can really only fly one ship at a time. The only difference is between single player ships defined by purpose or multicrew ships defined by purpose. Multicrew ships will be more expensive to man, maintain and to lose. The balance is built into the purpose of the ships. And in SC really worrying about what other people have shouldn't be a concern unless you plan on being a pirate or purposely engaging in PvP often. If you do I would suggest holding off and doing PvE content or joinging crew of another ship until you have the funds to get your desired ship.

Thanks for the explanation! From an RP side I guess I can just choose not to use certain ships at the start then. I'll just pick a multi crew one and roll with it.

I have no idea if I'm going to be focused on PVE or PVP long run, when the game launches I'm going to rush in with Pitchfork if that's still a thing and try to be one of the first characters to permadie.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the explanation! From an RP side I guess I can just choose not to use certain ships at the start then. I'll just pick a multi crew one and roll with it.

I have no idea if I'm going to be focused on PVE or PVP long run, when the game launches I'm going to rush in with Pitchfork if that's still a thing and try to be one of the first characters to permadie.

One thing you don't have to worry about is finding other people to play with or multicrew ships to join as many org members have one. Our org is in the OP and we do have many multicrew ship owners.