Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys :)
Will register for the org when I get home or next week.
I played around a tiny bit in 2.6 but I want to wait for 3.0 to really get into the game.
In the meantime, I've played a bit of Elite Dangerous, which helped me get accustomed to my dual joystick setup I got a month ago.

I didn't quite follow the SC news lately, I saw some stuff regarding facial tracking (Gamescom, I believe) and the impressive coruscant-like planet from Citizencon, are there other exciting news I should be aware of? Thanks :)

I can't wait for SC to become the game I've always dreamed about :)

chifanpoe

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys :)
Will register for the org when I get home or next week.
I played around a tiny bit in 2.6 but I want to wait for 3.0 to really get into the game.
In the meantime, I've played a bit of Elite Dangerous, which helped me get accustomed to my dual joystick setup I got a month ago.

I didn't quite follow the SC news lately, I saw some stuff regarding facial tracking (Gamescom, I believe) and the impressive coruscant-like planet from Citizencon, are there other exciting news I should be aware of? Thanks :)

I can't wait for SC to become the game I've always dreamed about :)

You listed all the major stuff. Nov will have the week of all the ships going up for sale (or most) Dec should have some SQ42 info/videos. Glad to see you coming aboard!

Last edited:

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Seems I got an invite because I was in the prior Org.

Wanted to thank the guys/gals who are organizing this, it has been a painless transition!

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Seems I got an invite because I was in the prior Org.

Wanted to thank the guys/gals who are organizing this, it has been a painless transition!
We've made it as painless as we could. The tools available to us for org management are lacking when it comes to announcements and the likes, so we've had to make due with what we have.

On a similar note, we've made more progress in the past week or so on the organization and branding of the org than we had ever made in the prior org. Still lots to do, but [E503] is shaping up to be real org now rather than a mere repository of forum members. Between the new org initiative and 3.0 being on the horizon, it's been an exciting time.

Oct 25, 2017
Having our forum "reset", as it were, has pushed me (and others, I'm assuming) to get more involved. Seems like a great org so far. Looking forward to getting out there in 3.0!

Until then, enjoying the process.

OP
OP
Raticus79

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We've been pretty well prepared and in a holding pattern for a looong time now. It'll be nice to start putting things into practice soon.

Generated a new fleet image to include the two new Pioneers.
Edit: This one includes the old members who haven't re-joined yet. Updated below

Last edited:

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
It bears mentioning that the listing includes ships for members that haven't officially been reintegrated into the new org. We have most of the larger ships back, but not all (have 3 of the 4 Idris for instance). On the flip side it's also missing ships from members that are in the org but never responded with their owned ships.

OP
OP
Raticus79

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a bit of a tough call there. It's not like there's any urgency to rejoin. I'll make one from the E503 members only just to see where we're at.

Edit: We're in pretty good shape already.
Here's the list with just the people who have joined the new org.
Full size: http://i.imgur.com/idwFkZe.png
idwFkZem.png

Last edited:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering if this thread made it over. I'm just lurking, sometimes updating the game, launching and being super confused by the controls and then putting it back away. From the looks of it, 3.0 will have something more playable? What's currently even IN the game?

I pledged for a Freelancer and a 325A WAY back during the kickstarter. For some reason I also have a Hornet in my inventory, but that might just be an alpha thing? i have no idea.

Received an org invite from the old gaf one to the new era one so that's taken care of, thanks to whoever did that!

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
From the looks of it, 3.0 will have something more playable? What's currently even IN the game?

For what is currently in game there is this section in the OP

What can we currently do in this game?
Summary here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list

Getting Started: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/getting-started
Starter guide video by BoredGamer: https://youtu.be/TlR18yxoQl8

I recommend the starter guide video by BoredGamer who also details what is coming in Alpha 3.0

BoredGamer: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Update Features

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on the previous forums for a long time so it's a pleasure to finally join :).

I've been away for the past 2 weeks and finally caught some decent wifi. Watched the CitizenCon demo and holy hell, I was not prepared. The stuff that came before was good (that glass shader, all of Ivo Herzog) but I hadn't been awed by the grandeur of their vision to this point ever since 2014's ArcCorp flyover.

I think the most impressive thing is that they told us most of this was coming. Truck Stops had been covered in AtV and it's no surprise that their procedural interior generation system, itself generalized from outposts, could be extended to cities. Marco Corbetta's 2007 demo has been linked over and over. There was no reason it wouldn't come together, I expected it and I still have been completely awed by the final product. The sheer vision and quality of execution made me at a complete loss for words. This may sound hyperbolic but this is the kind of excitement, innovation and promise games had back in the early 00's to me.

Art-wise, they definitely know what they are doing and they are cracking the first level of selling the world more with each iteration they show. I can't wait to see what they'll come up with to "landscape" space to make those long QD trips memorable and make us "feel" the journey of space travel.

Anyway, I really like the new short-distance Quantum Drive effect. I wonder if it uses their new particles respecting an SDF description of the ship outline. Also, can't wait to finally, finally see the much-rumoured, legendary space volumetric fog, only second to both a new SSR and MB implementation.

Catching up on AtV's but I'm still all over this.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New AtV is up.

Edit: Fuck you buddy, it's still too soon.
oFV3rZe.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raticus79

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Time stamp link for the new effects: 24:43

There are a few others in there, but this is the one in the thumbnail.

Last edited:

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
HOLY HELL! I was just reminded about why the characters on that shirt looked so familiar. I am conflicted between finding it a bit funny and also incredibly sad. I am not sure which one it leans more towards.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Hi everyone, occasional poster from the previous threads reporting in. Hyped for the eventual 3.0 release!
I'll get a new grumpy old man avatar from Disciples 2 at some point :D

Zabojnik

Oct 28, 2017
Hello m8s, old and new.

December's livestream is usually around the 25th, right? Can't remember.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017

"We're two weeks away from our Anniversary Special, which runs from November 24th to December 4th. We will be highlighting all of our manufacturers and some of your favorite ships. Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner will be hosting an eight episode ship series. Stay tuned for further details, including the release of the full schedule next week."

It is coming soon and is that a new ship in the artwork? Hmmmmm......

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
"Subsumption" is the system for that here. We hear bits and pieces about it. It'll be important for Squadron 42 too (e.g. ship duties).

I mostly hear about it mostly effecting what missions there are and giving AI a schedule among other things. I was thinking more of factions and special NPCs have their own wants, goals, and needs that they actively purse without the presence or activity of players. They also act and react from the activities of the world ( a stellar phenomena like a solar flare), other NPCs, and players. Think CIG is doing some part of the idea by having NPCs react to the reputation of the player.

https://www.engadget.com/2014/08/21/soe-live-2014-the-revolutionary-intelligence-of-storybricks-ai/

One question that's been on the minds of players is whether or not Storybricks can pull off such a feat: Could NPCs not only react to the changes in their world but actively instigate them based on their attempts to fulfill their desires and goals? After seeing this exact thing illustrated through various time-elapse scenarios, I now know it can!

Because they were a macro view of the system, the demonstrations resembled an RTS map with certain areas controlled by certain races. One of the devs would drop in a catalyst (like adding in the discovery of a gold mine near the wealth-hungry Kobolds) or simply change a variable, and then we sat back and watched as the NPCs reacted. The change in the NPCs' influence was visible via the changing colors on the map as well as by the scrolling text of all the individuals' actions. It was absolutely fascinating to see the ebb and flow of territory control as the NPCs influence waxed and waned, and I personally cannot wait to see it in action on the ground. (In the scenarios of Dark Elves vs. Dryads vs. Shadow Elementals, I'm sad to report that all but one run of the simulation resulted in the total annihilation of the Druids.)

A SC example, the UEE would have goal of expanding, so they will go through a process of colonizing other planets which might include contracting other players,organizations, and NPCs to do jobs, then sending a large fleet to colonize the planet themselves ( by using the mechanics that CIG is creating). This all happens without the players doing really anything.

A example of a reaction, Vanduul might have wanted the planet themselves; so they might attempt to ambush the fleet or if the UEE takes the planet might prepare for an invasion after a time period. This would be a process so it doesn't happen immediately and players can predicate the outcomes. If the Vanndul wants to invade they might send out scouts, then do probing attacks. The goals doesn't have to be that, it can simply be the goal of patrolling their space, or wanting to find uncharted planets. A meteor crashes on a planet the local faction might gather resources from it. Electrical systems was damaged because of a solar flare and act by trying to repair it somehow, etc. I think CIG wanted to have invasions, but I didn't know if it something that just happens because they program to make it happen.

Another example, is that the UEE and Vanduul both control one star system. CIG can spawn another star system in the middle of them. Based on the AI of both the UEE and Vanduul of having the goal of taking the star system, both might openly wage war over the star system.

However, the basic idea is that factions have something they want to do and act on that independent of players( but it can be influenced however). A player can have no idea of an event is happening and once they travel to a star system; they might get involved in a space battle because the factions are duking it out because one fleet intercepted another to stop it from getting to a destination. Usually things like this is scripted or because it has a random chance of happening and typically, the outcome really doesn't affect anything and the overall point is to give something the player to do. Making the Ai this dynamic, could make the game have endless content( that just aren't missions. Players and NPCs just do things.) that has meaning and could mean that even if there aren't any players the universe will still change overtime.

I think CIG wants this to be an end goal of subsumption, but I really didn't hear that and the reason I bring this up is that these types of space sandbox games need to have interesting content, not just scripted events or repetitive missions.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly hear about it mostly effecting what missions there are and giving AI a schedule among other things. I was thinking more of factions and special NPCs have their own wants, goals, and needs that they actively purse without the presence or activity of players. They also act and react from the activities of the world ( a stellar phenomena like a solar flare), other NPCs, and players. Think CIG is doing some part of the idea byhaving NPCs react to the reputation of the player.
All of that falls under the unified umbrella of subsumption, covers both the macro and micro level activities of NPCs and agents.

I didn't read the story bricks thing, but the way the system is organised it very much is about creating bricks of discrete behaviors all connected in a graph.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
All of that falls under the unified umbrella of subsumption, covers both the macro and micro level activities of NPCs and agents.

I didn't read the story bricks thing, but the way the system is organised it very much is about creating bricks of discrete behaviors all connected in a graph.
No doubt it will fall under subsumption, I was just pointing out how they can evolve sometime in the future, on what they are currently doing. Right now they are mostly talking about how subsumption deals with missions and the daily cycles on NPCs, but I'm sure that they will eventually evolve it. The mission-based structure( I know there are other activities, but I think most players are going to do missions) is not enough I think, allowing the players and NPCs to do activities, and have the game universe react in such a fashion I describe would provided content you normally won't get.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
I think the higher-level behaviours you are describing are the motivations and goals behind Subsumption's design as I remember Tony stated them. Intuitively, I think this layer of logic and various heuristics for decision-making will sit above the lower-level, more granular tasks they are currently implementing (missions, schedule, etc). Afaik, this macro-level AI simulation still sits under the Subsumption name.

I agree that this layer is crucial to making the verse feel alive, meaningful and exciting in the long run. Strangely enough, I'm reminded of Falcon 4's dynamic campaign as a direct comparison of missions being generated from both a set of priorities and the current state of the simulation. It was like a strategy game layered on top of the sim and looking back it is exactly the kind of things Subsumption will have to achieve.

Exciting stuff but it seems we're still quite far away from seeing this implemented.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The wait for 3.0 is killing me. I just know it's going down how 2.0 or another big update around the holidays did. I'll be waiting and hoping but right near the christmas it'll release, when the tree has to go up and my PC has to make it's annual sacrifice to make room.

chifanpoe

Oct 25, 2017
The wait for 3.0 is killing me. I just know it's going down how 2.0 or another big update around the holidays did. I'll be waiting and hoping but right near the christmas it'll release, when the tree has to go up and my PC has to make it's annual sacrifice to make room.

Soon ;)

I have a feeling it is getting very very close.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I don't think that AtV really showed us much new stuff regarding their procedural city tech that we didn't already learn during CitizenCon, but it's still fun to hear them talk about it. Watching the city get built from a player's perspective on the ground was kinda funny, too.

OP
OP
Raticus79

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was hoping to get a better quality capture of that CitizenCon segment at least, but no luck.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is interested in jumping into SC for the first time what do I need to know? What ship would you recommend?

Rephin

Oct 25, 2017
USA
As someone who is interested in jumping into SC for the first time what do I need to know? What ship would you recommend?
To start with, the starter packages of the Aurora or Mustang are what I'd always recommend. It's the least you can invest while being able to play the game, and you can always buy more ships in game as you progress. It also gives you access to the Alpha builds to see if you might be interested in any other kind of ship other people are flying. In case you want to upgrade, you can always pay the difference to upgrade to the ship you want.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To start with, the starter packages of the Aurora or Mustang are what I'd always recommend. It's the least you can invest while being able to play the game, and you can always buy more ships in game as you progress. It also gives you access to the Alpha builds to see if you might be interested in any other kind of ship other people are flying. In case you want to upgrade, you can always pay the difference to upgrade to the ship you want.
Ok so who here should I contact to ask if i can join that org? I dont really have anyone I know that has it so finding a community would be great.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it's too late to point out that any potential new folk would be best off waiting for the sale later this week as there's a good chance that it'll have discounted starter packages.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose that depends on how "near future" 3.0 going live is (in a non-PTU sense). Extremely unlikely they'll do a free fly event until 3.0 is out and stable on the general servers. Doing one before 3.0 hits would be showing people the ancient 2.6.3 build - certainly not what anybody enticed by the latest livestream events would find interesting. Meanwhile doing one right after 3.0 hits would be stressing the servers to the max and probably leave a less than flattering first impression.

jaaz

Oct 25, 2017

Welcome Phoenix! Now that you are an Org member, check out the Ship Buying Guide thread on our Spectrum forums. It will give you a good idea on the ships we recommend depending on the career/role you are interested in, and the amount you want to spend. As others have said, you should buy a basic package first with the game and a starter ship. Then, if you want to pledge more to the game development, you can buy an additional ship during the anniversary sale starting this Friday. The ships on sale during the anniversary sale should come with 60 months' insurance, which is much more than the insurance you get if you buy now.

Here's the link to ship buying guide:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...ad/what-ship-should-i-buy-our-recommendations

Feel free to post here if you have questions on any of the ships. Our members are experts by now. :)