• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
It's a VR tactical helmet that provides you with a 360 sensor display.

Yeah, everyone's confused on that. No one knows because the explanations were so contradictory. Like every scene had an independent writing team.

My best guess is they "carved" Voq's body into the shape of a human and imprinted some of Ash's memories into him. Still full of holes though.
I really don't understand the confusion here. Never understood the confusion. They said it so many times in regard to what happen. . They were very direct with it.

Voq's body was altered. His bones were sawed down, even refilled to reduce his height, etc. Extra organs that Klingons have were removed and maybe replaced with that of the real Tyler's. Physically Voq was made to appear and pass for human under normal medical scans. That's why the changes weren't detected and the scaring was reasoned to be a result of the physical torture he was said to have gone under. It was that operation the Ash personality took for torture. Then the real Ash Tyler's personality (he was a real person. The back story he gave was real and did check out) was grafted on top of Voq's. The end result Voq was a sleeper agent waiting to be woken up but the change was to good and as a result the Ash Tyler personality was far to strong and wasn't letting go. It was strong enough to do that because he had fallen in love with Burnham and that bond was strong.

Each time they talk about it they go into more detail each time but it doesn't contradict. The only question I could understand someone having is how they grafted the personality. For that I just fall back on "Star Trek future science".

I don't know if people are looking for more or feel it has to be more complicated then that but I thought the show was very clear as to how it was actually done. They repeated a few times just in case people missed it.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Admiral Janeway would be put in charge of Delta Quadrant expansion and lecture everyone on the prime directive before leaning on a console and shooting a volley of photon torpedoes at the planet.
Janeway's fuckups are one of the reasons i want to see it. I'd like to see the federation try to fix the shit she started.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I would really love a post voyager show that approached the federation encroaching on the delta quadrant through natural expansion. The delta quadrant struck me a region lacking the competitive superpowers that made the alpha and beta quadrants. Would be cool to see how the less developed races deal with that.
They haven't even explored the majority of the alpha quadrant by the time of Voyager, there's no need to go to delta.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's cool about the nominations but I don't think it particularly deserves any of those, with the possible exception of Jason Issacs - as poorly as the Lorca story ended, he did a good job with all of it, from the good parts to bad. I'd say Sonequa Martin-Green was actually a bit detrimental to the show and Michelle Yeoh didn't do anything special. She was better as the mirror Georgiou, though. Doug Jones, well, I really like Saru, but it isn't that the performance stood out - he was basically calm and sensitive throughout, with the exception of his goin' nuts cos of plants episode.

As far as best new media television series...haven't seen enough to know, but Saturn awards are sci-fi only right?

Trekkie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This might be asking for too much but I loved the little bit of Zero G action in those space suits that took place during the first 2 episodes

would love to see some more of that in season 2

Oct 25, 2017

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised it didn't get a nom for best sci fi...I mean it's better than the 100 at least, I've only see that and the Expanse and I haven't seen the new X-files so I can' compare it to the rest of the nominees. I wonder what best presentation means because no matter what you think of the show, Disco looks amazing.

Here are the rest of the nominations https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/15/here-are-the-44th-annual-saturn-awards-nominations/
They split the broadcast TV shows and streaming shows into separate categories. Streaming shows get Best New Media Television Series and the those on actual TV/cable channels get the Best Science Fiction Television Series catagory. The actors got combined though.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised it didn't get a nom for best sci fi...I mean it's better than the 100 at least, I've only see that and the Expanse and I haven't seen the new X-files so I can' compare it to the rest of the nominees.

It divides the category into new media or television. You can't get nominated in both categories at least for that award unlike the others.

And yeah it has some of the slickest "presentation" for a sci-fi show. Not sure what that category even means based on the nominees.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
They probably mean the traditional combination of cinematography/art design type stuff but yeah I would personally toss disco in there if that is the goal.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
A special bonus scene was shown at this years WonderCon Panel. Spoilers as it take place during the aftermath of episode 15.I feel this is less of a deleted scene but more one held back for an event like this as it likely gives hints of what is to come in season 2. They also said season 2 would have more of a exploration and diplomacy tone but honestly I it will have plenty of action and intrigue and this clip implies that to me.

US:

Canada:

Last edited:

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that confirms another fan theory..
That wasn't even a theory but more people waiting for a confirmation. It was either Section 31 or StarFleet Intelligence and they still could be one in the same. Badges that normal people might not see but something those around starfleet have seen in passing so they don't question it when they come across one. Especially if you're dealing with secret tech, ships, etc which would describe the Discovery and the Glenn. Would certainly make it easier for its members to move around StarFleet. It could be largely something for the audience too I bet. People want subtle but many have a hard time dealing with the direct stuff. So...

Last edited:

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad they cut it, to be honest. I find Section 31 showing up all over the place incredibly fucking tedious—it's by far the worst thing to come out of DS9.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm find with Section 31 as long as they leave time travel alone. The jump from MU back to PU was fine because they didn't try to fix anything they just accepted the 9 month error.

Oct 25, 2017
So black badges = section 31 confirmed? Had they made a similar deal with Lorca? Probably knew he was Mirror the whole time, even if Starfleet didn't. Arranged for him to be in that position to win the war.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aw shit... I just came

About time, we were theorizing it from the moment we saw the Black Alert on Discovery

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
To add we don't really know how Section 31 operates during this time period. So any rules we have for them from DS9 very well might not apply.

YouTube version is up.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
so that scene i guess would take place right at the end of the show

interesting. i wonder if it was deleted because they want to use it/something similar next year or if it's because michelle yeoh isn't on board next year. i kinda hope she is seeing that, her evil character is much better than the original. wouldn't mind watching more of that character.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Could have been post-credit scene originally. It kinda clashes with the Enterprise showing up and the note the episode ended on.

i would have much preferred this scene than that embarrassing reveal of the enterprise

buuuut i guess we're gonna be stuck with some fanservice for the first arc of s2. hopefully this georgiou in section 31 story does actually happen. i'd be much more interested in watching that.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Please stay away from Section 31. They are fine for stand-alone episodes, but their ambiguity is their strength. I mean, I reconciled section 31 being part of the federation is due to their anonymity.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Enterprise already had a lot of poor section 31 fan service so they can't really ruin them

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to have someone tell me there were Trills on Qo'Nos in this era... and of course they would be the one to deliver the news about Section 31

I feel conflicted like how I felt about Into Darkness... you are referencing something from my fave Trek series, but are you going to do it justice? Most likely not

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to have someone tell me there were Trills on Qo'Nos in this era... and of course they would be the one to deliver the news about Section 31

I feel conflicted like how I felt about Into Darkness... you are referencing something from my fave Trek series, but are you going to do it justice? Most likely not
Wasn't a real Trill. Holographic spots tho so it was just a human trying to sneak by in plain sight.

They obviously wanted to end strongly on the TOS connection than referencing an obscure DS9 clandestine organization only hardcore trek fans would remember...and in case they change their mind about this thread
The black badges were seen in episode 3 but never again. Or rather the first episode of Discovery proper. Not too big a stretch to have a callback and an explanation for the audience.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Enterprise already had a lot of poor section 31 fan service so they can't really ruin them
True. However, you need some pretty good writers to make Section 31 work (like on DS9). Discovery is a fun show to watch, but I don't know if the writing staff is strong enough to delve deeper into one of the more complicated parts of Trek lore (or what should be complicated).

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to have the Section 31 connection confirmed anyway, even if that isn't where they end up going with it, with all the hints people were expecting them to actually pop up, but it's nice to know it wasn't crazy talk.

They obviously wanted to end strongly on the TOS connection than referencing an obscure DS9 clandestine organization only hardcore trek fans would remember...and in case they change their mind about this thread

I wouldn't say they were that obscure though compare to some things we've seen across all of Star Trek. They might have had their origins in DS9, but they were also in Enterprise for a bit, and the general audience probably knows them most from Into Darkness which is the film that made the most money out of all of them.

I think it would be nice if they did do something cool with Section 31, I would also totally be ok with finding out they had a hand in setting up mirror Lorca on Discovery which is why they were around in the beginning. I feel it would make more sense than him just turning up and accidentally taking the place of his mirror counterpart, and managing to pull it off with no prior knowledge.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to have the Section 31 connection confirmed anyway, even if that isn't where they end up going with it, with all the hints people were expecting them to actually pop up, but it's nice to know it wasn't crazy talk.

I wouldn't say they were that obscure though compare to some things we've seen across all of Star Trek. They might have had their origins in DS9, but they were also in Enterprise for a bit, and the general audience probably knows them most from Into Darkness which is the film that made the most money from the franchise.
Enterprise I could see... but if you ask the general fan of just the JJ Trek movies (including Beyond)... how many *honestly* are going to remember "Section 31" when it was made in a pretty off the cuff remark maybe once or twice at best

Jan 29, 2018
Apparently at Wondercon they stated XBS ordered 13 episodes for season 2. Ducks that its fewer than season 1 but I guess it's still a standard amount these days.

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
Apparently at Wondercon they stated XBS ordered 13 episodes for season 2. Ducks that its fewer than season 1 but I guess it's still a standard amount these days.
I feel like if anything, last season was the exception, not the rule. It feels like they ordered 2 more episodes to wrap up whatever storylines they had brewing at the time in a satisfactory matter.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine as they're filming that number could be increased if need be like last time. It will be interesting to see what the lengths are this season. Do they keep with letting the episodes land where they may length wise or if they're trying to hit 50 minutes across all episodes. I would like to know if this airing on TV is really impacting this as well. I assume it is to some degree but not sure by how much.

Jan 29, 2018
I feel like if anything, last season was the exception, not the rule. It feels like they ordered 2 more episodes to wrap up whatever storylines they had brewing at the time in a satisfactory matter.

Agreed. The last two episodes felt a bit tacked on, but while the end of the Klingon war story felt very rushed I think it was a good decision not to carry that plot into season 2.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
True. However, you need some pretty good writers to make Section 31 work (like on DS9). Discovery is a fun show to watch, but I don't know if the writing staff is strong enough to delve deeper into one of the more complicated parts of Trek lore (or what should be complicated).

Exactly, S-31 has to be handled with extreme care and requires a restrained hand. I don't see the Discovery writing team up for the task. S-31 is very alluring as it can allow a writer to go off the deep end of Trek, chasing down grim dark stories with notions of the greater good. In this way, they might either end up disparaging the actual utopian optimism of Star Trek or just turn the organization into plain villains.