Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Is there a free version of CBS Access? I'm in the US, want to catch Discovery, but don't want to sign up for CBS Access. I don't think I can wait until the end of the month to catch Discovery on Netflix back home.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. No true free version. There might be a free month if you've never signed up before but you still need to put in your payment information. Canceling is pretty easy as well.

Funny Face

Dec 5, 2017
I'm glad a number of people pushed me to continue watching. Episodes 4 through 7 were much more like the Trek I'm used to. Saru and Stamets are providing a great amount of levity (Saru unintentionally, of course), Ash was a great addition to the crew (though, if he's a mole, that will be very disappointing), Lorca isn't angry all the time, and Burnham is growing on me. Plus, I was very satisfied with Rainn Wilson's rendition as Mudd, and the temporal loop episode was classic Trek (for me).

If only we didn't have characters dropping f-bombs and breaking Klingon necks. ::smh:: Two more episodes to go!

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad a number of people pushed me to continue watching. Episodes 4 through 7 were much more like the Trek I'm used to. Saru and Stamets are providing a great amount of levity (Saru unintentionally, of course), Ash was a great addition to the crew (though, if he's a mole, that will be very disappointing), Lorca isn't angry all the time, and Burnham is growing on me. Plus, I was very satisfied with Rainn Wilson's rendition as Mudd, and the temporal loop episode was classic Trek (for me).

If only we didn't have characters dropping f-bombs and breaking Klingon necks. ::smh:: Two more episodes to go!

It's getting there, yeah. I hope that the first episodes were just used to bring new people into the franchise or hold on to fans who like the new movies and then they transitions into more traditional Trek, although there's a lot of things I like that Discovery is introducing too.

Let's just see where this goes.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I agree with most of your points - especially that Ash being a mole would be a bummer, he's too much at the heart of the crew already for the twist not to be 'oh for fuck sake' - but I really don't have any issue with the (very) occasional swearing and violence. Star Trek isn't a kids show, and really, if parents want to be weird about their kids hearing certain words, that's their problem in 2017.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Just started reading the book.

"like a fragile thread passing through a needle made of death"

dead.jpg.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
This airs a week from today and there has been no promotion for this of any kind. No interviews, trailers, etc. If it wasn't for the fact that is already got renewed for a season two, I would just assume the show was already dead. I bet a lot of people forget this will be airing next week due to the lack of a single mention anywhere.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Is there a free version of CBS Access? I'm in the US, want to catch Discovery, but don't want to sign up for CBS Access. I don't think I can wait until the end of the month to catch Discovery on Netflix back home.

I'm holding off on the entire thing until it's all up for streaming. Then I'll watch.

Netflix UK 4K > CBS All Access 1080p

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This airs a week from today and there has been no promotion for this of any kind. No interviews, trailers, etc. If it wasn't for the fact that is already got renewed for a season two, I would just assume the show was already dead. I bet a lot of people forget this will be airing next week due to the lack of a single mention anywhere.

That is werid. Maybe we will get something this week?

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

the break was a really bad idea

but i'm looking forward to more eps. i didn't know exactly when it was back until you said a week from today though.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I couldn't remember what date Disco was coming back. I knew it was January but not when. They might have dropped the ball with their promotion.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they know the people who intend to watch the show, will be there... they aren't likely to win new viewers after a mid-season return.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I'm holding off on the entire thing until it's all up for streaming. Then I'll watch.

Netflix UK 4K > CBS All Access 1080p
Its not in 4k on UK netflix is it?

There are certainly absolutly no 4k rips, which there certainly would have been were it in 4k.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
So who's ready for Sunday my guys

riGBFyh.jpg

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a character in Star Trek Online wearing the uniform from Discovery, but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that DISCO shirt...afraid some hardcore Trek nerds would beat me to death with their plastic phasers

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for this to come back. We've been watching the first season of Voyager in the meanwhile.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Curious if we'll get any preview images this week or if they'll try to keep things secret leading into Sunday.

RC.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Seven episodes in and I don't know how to feel about this show.

I like how it's turning a lot of conventions on their head, and addressing issues not commonly discussed in Star Trek, but I can't get over the canon disrupting tech. (Spore drive, panel-less displays, time crystals, a damn holodeck, etc.)

I wish my inner Trekkie would shut up so I can enjoy the show more.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Seven episodes in and I don't know how to feel about this show.

I like how it's turning a lot of conventions on their head, and addressing issues not commonly discussed in Star Trek, but I can't get over the canon disrupting tech. (Spore drive, panel-less displays, time crystals, a damn holodeck, etc.)

I wish my inner Trekkie would shut up so I can enjoy the show more.

It bothers me too. Hopefully they will explain why this tech never made it to the rest of the fleet.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
why remember the date when it just shows up as a 'resume watching' on Netflix anyway? ... :'D
I know with CBS All Access they do and did email reminders. They even emailed about the season renewal, when the return date would be, etc. I don't and didn't expect advertising on TV or anything. They only started up twitter advertising more earlier this week. Figure they might ramp things up a bit more as we get closer to Sunday.

That said all the advertising over the past few weeks from the CBS twitter and on web ads I've seen have had this. "Episodes 1-9 of Star Trek: Discovery are now streaming on CBS All Access. Season 1 continues January 7, 2018." So they have been putting out the date and if you're watching already and did enjoy the show they figure you'll still be looking for the date since they did say January when the mid-season finale aired.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I know their social media has been promoting the show, since this is streaming only I don't think they'd show normal TV ads.

Deleted member 20799

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It bothers me too. Hopefully they will explain why this tech never made it to the rest of the fleet.
Maybe they were afraid of people just abusing their holodeck privileges. Too much vidya gaems & pr0n. :p

Anyways, it could just be down to wanting really really long term research studies to make sure they're safe. We kinda take it for granted because of TNG-era fiction, but the tech does have scary implications. Even Janeway was hesitant about introducing replicators and holodeck stuff to various folks in the Delta Quadrant (IIRC... it's been a while). idk, I don't think it needs to be a really complex explanation. Voyager saw their fair share of holodeck problems.

Before the space-tardigrade, the spore drive didn't have good accuracy or range, so it probably just wasn't deemed fit for spreading to the rest of the fleet, and then they could minimize the risk of having it fall into enemy hands, and accidentally levelling the playing field. The Klingons probably would not have any qualms about enslaving another race or forcing people to operate the device vs Starfleet.

Maybe Starfleet just never find a solution to using it safely and ethically.