• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Captain Tilly.

And Lorca doing a Scotty voice pretending to be an engineer. This is great.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Given how one of the themes of this show is the ways in which the Klingons are a xenophobic violent empire actually duh, the
mirror universe and the Terran empire
isn't just fun its a thematically interesting

I don't know why I didn't realize that before

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Did we previously know about
the Klingon/Vulcan/Andorian alliance against the Terran empire?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
If he is a Klingon spy, how the hell did he get past all the medical scans?

Unless Culber is a spy too, or a plant from the mirror universe...

Did we previously know about
the Klingon/Vulcan/Andorian alliance against the Terran empire?

I don't think so. In both the Enterprise and TOS episodes aliens serve in the Empire. Spock was still first officer.

But, given the last time we saw the mirror universe was Enterprise, and it involved time travel shenanigans, they could go for a retcon. The rebellion we saw in the Enterprise episode made the Empire xenophobic.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. In both the Enterprise and TOS episodes aliens serve in the Empire. Spock was still first officer.

But, given the last time we saw the mirror universe was Enterprise, and it involved time travel shenanigans, they could go for a retcon. The rebellion we saw in the Enterprise episode made the Empire xenophobic.
The reason I ask is because if the theme of this season/show is "the idea that any culture is inherently 'warlike' or 'violent' is bullshit, our cultures are emergent results of pressures and chaotic forces" by literally showing
a mirror universe where the Klingons manage to ally with other races and humans are, well, the Terran empire
that's a message I'm fucking down for

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic episode overall. Still doubting Lorca is from this universe. Especially if he's willing to get tortured like that.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I have so many questions. I'm all for mystery but...

If Ash is a Klingon, why didn't earlier scans show it?
If Lorca is mirror Lorca, what the hell is his plan? You'd think it would be to get Discovery and the DASH Drive

Related. If it's a long game he's playing, how did he plant the information for Prime Discovery to find? Or plan for Alternate Discovery to be the to swap with them?

I like this episode, but the tangled knot of threads seems to be too much.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Fantastic episode overall. Still doubting Lorca is from this universe. Especially if he's willing to get tortured like that.
I think Lorca is absolutely from this universe if he's willing to be tortured like that. Obviously his agenda, presumably to overthrow the Emperor, is great than his own torture.

I have so many questions. I'm all for mystery but...

If Ash is a Klingon, why didn't earlier scans show it?

They did bring this up. Seems like they didn't do a thorough examination as required to discover that he had been changed.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic episode. So many things are coming to a head.

The writers need to pull back on that edge though.

Oh fuck that death is going to piss some people off

Fuck, it pisses me off now. No wonder they did not spend more time working on his characterization.

The articles write themselves. And I can actually sort of get behind them.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
"Only the finest agonizer" Geez.

And those crew put him in anyway of course even after being told not to, heh.
I agree, that torture looks absolutely terrifying.

Lorca's engineer was fun along with Captain Tilly.
Saru's reaction to "Killy" was funny :D
Still can't believe they killed him off so abruptly, damn.
There's a tease about that in the After Trek.

That was a really packed episode.

Well, there it is finally I guess. We know who he is.
Yep.

It's an interesting wrinkle.

Last edited:

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
WTF! Holy Shit! That was crazy. Loved the episode but feeling all sorts of things right now from happiness to anger to surprise to shock.

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
Captain Tilly was AMAZING.

Really risky move to kill off the doctor though. I don't think he's dead. No way they'd do that. And Lorca is DEFINITELY from the Mirror Universe. Pretty convenient he's dead in the mirror universe.

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
Also ppplllleeeaaassseeeee let the emperor still be Hoshi that'd be really fuck awesome

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Oh After Trek isn't live. They pre-recorded it. I thought it was weird they were taking questions so early.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I said goddamn

Sucks that they fridged (though one can argue it's just "killed" until the death prods Stamets out of his coma) the doctor, but I'll give them this: I really wasn't expecting it.

edit: Yeah, it's the same Defiant (though I noticed some design differences in the graphic they showed)

edit #2: Also I reeeally don't think Hoshi's still around, else they would have said Empress

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I loved how two major theories that people were talking about the entire off season were basically confirmed in this episode.

The Mirror Universe and the Tyler theories. Plus people now have more fuel for their Lorca theories as well..

What a great episode

Oh After Trek isn't live. They pre-recorded it. I thought it was weird they were taking questions so early.

I noticed that as well. I hope next week is live.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dint think I have ever seen a TV show with this many season 1 characters getting killed off.

Like.. its no secret production for this show was a hot mess and I can see people got out but jeez.

If Tilly dies I am gonna quit this show too.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I dint think I have ever seen a TV show with this many season 1 characters getting killed off.

Like.. its no secret production for this show was a hot mess but man so I can see people who got out but jeez.

If Tilly dies I am gonna quit this show too.

Wilson Cruz has confirmed he will return this season in some capacity