• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
it's been replaced by dread in my case 🙀

I just don't want it to end on a "cliffhanger" if possible. Wrap it up nicely. And my hope of course is that next season doesn't rely so heavily on having EVERY episode be part of a giant season-long story arc. I would really love more stand-alone episodes. I love this season, don't get me wrong, but it has gotten tiring to me.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good show, and I'm excited to see hoe the season ends :)

TNG didn't really hit its stride until the uniforms have collars and Riker has a beard anyways, so Disco is pretty solid in my books.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Going full BSG with small-fighter-heavy space battles. That's new.

Edit1: I'd definitely watch an Enterprise show featuring Mitt Romney Anson Mount. Damn, I like that bridge.

Edit2: I hate time travel stories (sometimes).

Edit3: Holy shit. The future is now?

Edit4: Nevermind. Only time for stupid plans.

Edit5: What?
Destroying Leland's body takes out Control entirely? Kind of defeats the point. Could have just used magnets episodes ago.

Edit Final: Keep the uniform, bring back the beard.

[Edit Bonus: Damn you autocorrect!]

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does it need to be retconned? I mean, I know the point is that other time travel excursions in universe just result in changed history and not parallel timelines (though that episode in TNG where multiple ENT-Ds are appearing from different universes shows there's more than just Prime and Terran universe), but I assumed the fact that the time travel was facilitated by dark matter could just be used to explain the difference in result.

There is nothing in-movie to suggest it not just travelling back in time and changing history, like has been done in many episodes and a couple of movies. It was JJ saying pretty much "New (real) science theories say time travel creates alternate timelines, so that is what happened because that how it actually works" but that just ignores what has been happening in-universe for 40+ years at that point, so to suggest it is a very problematic retcon. He should have just said it opened a portal to another parallel universe like the Mirror one.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving this big middle finger epilogue all the "but canon..." people.

Also, wow at beardless spock.

Great finale.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Oh thank god that ended the way it did! I'm so happy in the end I didn't have a need to feel concerned!!!

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Okay cant watch till tommorow but I gots to knows. Someone want to post spoilers of the ending?

D4eqw_-U8AERWfJ.jpg

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Just started watching it. At least on Amazon Prime the subtitles are like a full five minutes behind the visuals. Amateur hour.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Wow what a finale. Fantastic episode, lots of great moments and it
explained why Discovery never existed. But damn it's just going to leave us with nothing on what's on the other side for discovery?

Nice to have Spock looking like Spock. I would totally watch a Pike enterprise show.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, really awesome finale. Perfect. They also solved the thing I hate most about prequels so it has me excited for future seasons. One thing though:

Why didn't they beam the admiral out lol. Wasn't their transporter working????

Oct 25, 2017
That battle was ridiculous for TV, I felt like I was watching the battle from Beyond. What a great ending to the season with the exception
of killing off control anyways, there was no need for Disco to go to the future but I guess after what Spock said, that it would be better to just forget Disco and the sphere data, I guess they justify it enough to just have Disco go away anyways.

Also while Disco is now
almost 1000 years in the future it doesn't tie in correctly with Calypso.

RIP Cornwell...that sucks she went out that way, I really liked her. Glad Stamets and Culber can continue their romance.

And finally the entire ending with Pike, Spock and Number One on the bridge was awesome, I loved it and they HAVE to have a Pike show now, they can't just tease us like that! I really thought they were going to have Pike recite the opening to TOS lol missed opportunity.

Whoa. That's a place to leave it.

How does Georgiou going to the future work with her Section 31 spinoff?
I hope that means they'll find their way back, maybe post TOS so people stop bitching about how Disco doesn't get mentioned in TOS.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
This is my first Trek so I have no feelings about Enterprise. If I had known that Trek was as awesome as this season has been I would have been into Trek waaaaaaay sooner.

I straight up and down have no complaints and have really enjoyed the season 2 ride.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Wow what a finale. Fantastic episode, lots of great moments and it
explained why Discovery never existed. But damn it's just going to leave us with nothing on what's on the other side for discovery?

Nice to have Spock looking like Spock. I would totally watch a Pike enterprise show.

As soon as Discovery ended, we watched The Menagerie. Wanted more Pike.

Very curious where they send Disco. I figure they will use timey wimey stuff to get Georgiaue back to the prime time line. They still have a suit and a crystal. I like that they aren't going to stay in this time line. Way too crowded with Enterprise stuff. Nice homage though.

I still think Control is the Borg. Think they came from the Delta quadrant? Maybe that is one place that Disco jumps too.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
That battle was ridiculous for TV, I felt like I was watching the battle from Beyond. What a great ending to the season with the exception
of killing off control anyways, there was no need for Disco to go to the future but I guess after what Spock said, that it would be better to just forget Disco and the sphere data, I guess they justify it enough to just have Disco go away anyways.
Well don't forget that the whole risk is that as long as that sphere data exists then there will always be risk that control or something could come back and take it.

Not that that can't be a problem in the future either. But one problem at a time.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit more mixed on this whole thing than everyone else. Frankly, the whole ending being Enterprise and non-Discovery characters felt way too "Enterprise" (meaning Archer's show) series finale to me, in a way that was kind of disrespectful to the actual characters of the show.

I mean, have they even announced an actual third season yet, or did I just watch a series finale?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit more mixed on this whole thing than everyone else. Frankly, the whole ending being Enterprise and non-Discovery characters felt way too "Enterprise" series finale to me, in a way that was kind of disrespectful to the actual characters of the show.

I mean, have they even announced an actual third season yet, or did I just watch a series finale?
Third season was announced awhile ago

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It definitely felt a series finale and follows closely with what I was hearing the Bryan Fuller storyline would have ended for Discovery originally.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the finale overall, but the urgency shown in the first act with putting together the suit is ridiculous considering they spent half the episode last week saying goodbye.

And if Tyler could get help, why didn't Sarek pull the Federation fleet?

I suspect someone really love spacewalks, because Burnham should have just been in the and got off at the asteroid.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
That battle was ridiculous for TV, I felt like I was watching the battle from Beyond.

It's been my view that the advent of CGI special effects has probably done more for TV than it has for film.

Third season was announced awhile ago

OK, good, I was actually starting to get upset, though the idea of them having to do the "Voyager" thing absent the trappings of the Federation and the established races is kind of annoying, frankly. Half of the reason I like Trek is because of the established cultures.

Jan 29, 2018
Decent interview about the finale and intentions for season 3: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...y-season-2-finale-time-jump-explained-1203166

Also, did I blink
and miss Nhan getting killed in the fight with Georgiou and Leeland? I feel like she just disappeared. At one point two people I didn't know where there got sucked into space during that sequence, and it took me a moment to realize it wasn't any named characters. I'm not sure what happened to her.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Also, did I blink
and miss Nhan getting killed in the fight with Georgiou and Leeland? I feel like she just disappeared. At one point two people I didn't know where there got sucked into space during that sequence, and it took me a moment to realize it wasn't any named characters. I'm not sure what happened to her.

You see her collapse in the hallway during the battle between her, Geourgiou and Leland, and Leland just ignores her when he goes to chase down Georgiou. I didn't really get any indication that she was dead, the last shot I remember seeing of her just looked like she sort of slumped down knocked out from being tossed around by the gravity switching all up.

Oct 25, 2017
Decent interview about the finale and intentions for season 3: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...y-season-2-finale-time-jump-explained-1203166

Also, did I blink

It's in their hands now

You not only brought in Spock this season, but also Anson Mount, who garnered a lot of critical praise and even a fan petition to get a Pike spin-off. Is there a chance of that happening?

The fans have been heard. Anything is possible in the world of Trek. I would love to bring back that crew more than anything. It was a huge risk for us. One of the most gratifying things is to see how deeply the fans have embraced Pike, Spock, Number One, and the Enterprise. The idea of getting to tell more stories with them would be a delight for all of us.

It's been my view that the advent of CGI special effects has probably done more for TV than it has for film.

OK, good, I was actually starting to get upset, though the idea of them having to do the "Voyager" thing absent the trappings of the Federation and the established races is kind of annoying, frankly. Half of the reason I like Trek is because of the established cultures.

Yes I hope they figure out a way to return,

Jan 29, 2018
You see her collapse in the hallway during the battle between her, Geourgiou and Leland, and Leland just ignores her when he goes to chase down Georgiou. I didn't really get any indication that she was dead, the last shot I remember seeing of her just looked like she sort of slumped down knocked out from being tossed around by the gravity switching all up.

Thanks, I missed that. The variable gravity hallway fight was pretty cool.