Star Trek: Picard - Season 1 |OT| Re-ENGAGE!

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
that’s a great answer
The problem I have with this answer is that he talks about a potential quadrillion population but then invokes the dominion war, of which the losses were like what... in the tens of millions? is that really that costly then? It's sort of the issue I have with the idea of the ex borg being outright hated. It works in Voyager, with many of the races being decimated by the Borg and then hating even ex Borg. But the Federation were never breached by the Borg, they were defeated before they were ever able to have any significant impact. Would people really just outright revile them, or would they be relieved at seeing people they potentially cared about come back to them? I think there's more nuance here to all of this than is being portrayed.

Not that I believe there to be some 'downfall' portrayed in Picard, they of course just want to focus on the outlying aspects. Which is fine, if only a little wanting, formally.

It's just all quite vague. I mean, among the straw man of whatever revisionist moral high ground thing he's talking about that never actually happened at any time. I guess it's just weird seeing this kind of righteousness, of which the DS9 writers were inflected with, that tackles some imagined foe in the form of some pure unadulterated naive utopia that they just needed to dismantle. Or something, I doni't know. It just seems like a really shallow part of Star Trek, this need to face some enemy that was never there. A perfection that was never real in the first place. It's a kind of conservative impulse I think.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Watch the show. The issue with the androids is kind of the whole point of the show. Those androids in the clip (I’m assuming you saw the clip of the Mars attack) were made so that they didn’t have the sentience of Data but it was still a controversial decision.
Yeah that was the one. Idk, if they were made with the goal to not have sentience then what's the purpose of making them have a humanoid appearance? A group of beings made of be subservient by design doesn't seem morally right either. I guess I should check out the show now eh?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean voyager ended with the EMHs doing hard labor inside a mine after the Doctor was granted rights for his creative works. And of course they are humanoid, they want them to perform tasks that other humans do,