• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Looks like a hodgepodge of a million different styles with barely anything to call it's own.

One thing I did see that I liked was the segment after the bugs, where the camera zoomed way out to show the entirety of the wall you were climbing. Lots of other games would stay close for a more cinematic angle but to actually get a full picture of where you're going, in a 3rd person action game like this, is uncommon nowadays. That gives me hope it'll be a little more videogame-y.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
It doesn't surprise me. That's why I'm sad. This is exactly what I expected from Disney.

Also you can do this.
fJ6XNOw.gif

Not exactly a huge leap forward to have dismemberment.
Dismemberment is a lot more graphic than getting hit with a blaster shot.

Ah well, shame you're disappointed. Thankfully whether you can chop limbs off has no bearing on whether the game will be fun or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn, that looks awesome!

I've never really played any EA games coz they mostly make multiplayer stuff. I'll definitely be rewarding their effort into a single player melee game.

Do EA games release on Steam? Coz that's where I'd like to get it.
No, they have their own launcher called Origin. It's not that bad, actually, and there's a subscription service similar to Game Pass as well if you want to try it without paying full price first.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dismemberment is a lot more graphic than getting hit with a blaster shot.

Ah well, shame you're disappointed. Thankfully whether you can chop limbs off has no bearing on whether the game will be fun or not.
I just wanted a new Jedi Knight game. Or at least a spiritual successor. So I'm a little disheartened.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Why does it have to have giant spiders though. Can we stop adding spiders to game please? I would take literally anything in its stead.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reception for 1313 is in stark contrast to Fallen Order for a reason. 1313 felt like a darker more adult take on Star Wars.
What is it that makes 1313 more dark or more adult? I look at that trailer and see it as largely consistent with the Star Wars series — charming devil-may-care rogues pulling a heist. The main characters might as well be Han Solo or Kyle Katarn.

Fallen Order seems no more or less serious in tone — I would argue that it probably takes itself too seriously, looking at the initial story trailer.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Can you mod games on Origin?

Given how modded to hell and back my Mass Effect installs can get, yes, yes, you can.

The premise is compelling and interesting and would get me to fork over some cash, all because of that set piece. Fallen Order has succeeded to generate more criticism than hype as far as trailers go. Aren't trailers suppose to help market a game?

I'd rather them present an honest look of the game, quirks and all, than something artificially cobbled together for the sake of producing "hype"

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
Combat looks simple and stilted. It's not as fluid as something like The Force Unleashed, or as free as Jedi Knight 2.

If the story looks good after a few more trailers I'll buy it like the good little Star Wars consumer I am, but it won't be the epic I was hoping for.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with stopping a laser blast and pulling someone into their own laser is that it's only cool once.
You can probably do combinations like reflect a laser, then stop time and pull another more difficult enemy towards that reflected laser. There are also more skills to be unlocked, so it'll be interesting to see how they all combine together to make the combat even more fun.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
The more info I look at, the more this feels like deja vu. Pretty much everyone on the internet thought that DOOM 2016 looked like an ugly, bland, boring shooter because of the initial e3 demos.

That 30 second clip + the GI article give me hope. Combat could be fun and it sounds like the exploration will be a lot like Metroid.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with stopping a laser blast and pulling someone into their own laser is that it's only cool once.
Cool and new, sure, but effective? That will depend on enemy design.

For example, you could have an enemy that is weak to projectiles, but doesn't shoot any themselves. So when you find yourself in an encounter with ranged enemies and that one that is weak to projectiles, you'll look for an opening to freeze a laser blast and then grab the other enemy for an instakill.

As long as it's somewhat optimal in certain situations, it'll never cease to be useful. If it just looks cool and it's always quicker to just hit them, then yeah, not that good.

Mar 29, 2018
The more info I look at, the more this feels like deja vu. Pretty much everyone on the internet thought that DOOM 2016 looked like an ugly, bland, boring shooter because of the initial e3 demos.

That 30 second clip + the GI article give me hope. Combat could be fun and it sounds like the exploration will be a lot like Metroid.
This has happened many times more than just with DOOM

People LOVE to judge the sum before they've seen all the parts

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's 3 possibilites

1. As you said, desire for a T rating (i think this is the most likely)
2. A tech issue where they just can't get it to work right
3. It could be jarring to cut down normal mobs but then not dismember the mini bosses/tougher enemies, so they just eliminate it all together.

It's not a tech issue because there is dismemberment when fighting the spiders. Only humans don't have dismemberment.

I think there will be dismemberment in big moments in cutscenes.

Aug 29, 2018
...I wasnt expecting so much negativity honestly. It is a single player, somewhat linear story driven game which I love, gameplay wise there seemed tobe enough factors to consider for it to be fun, and i love the little robot

Mar 29, 2018
Yet the entire industry is built on copying and following trends. Remember the motion control craze?

I agree with the fact that it's not an issue of talent.
It'll be largely about priorities. Sekiro looks flashy as hell when you watch it at 50% speed and pay attention to all the tiny details - but your average joe console owner won't notice that or care. Sekiro doesn't have huge spectacle and set piece and quirky characters/script chirping all the time, which evidently is what western devs focus on. You have to focus your development resources carefully and they won't prioritise the same things as From or Platinum.

...I wasnt expecting so much negativity honestly. It is a single player, somewhat linear story driven game which I love, gameplay wise there seemed tobe enough factors to consider for it to be fun, and i love the little robot
It's not even that linear. It has tons of lateral exploration and optional areas. It's designed like a metroidvania or the most recent God of War.

All this info is in the GI article, which clearly people don't want to read, so they get angry.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

I was also surprised when i started reading this thread, the mechanics look good and respawn is a proven developer.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool and new, sure, but effective? That will depend on enemy design.

For example, you could have an enemy that is weak to projectiles, but doesn't shoot any themselves. So when you find yourself in an encounter with ranged enemies and that one that is weak to projectiles, you'll look for an opening to freeze a laser blast and then grab the other enemy for an instakill.

As long as it's somewhat optimal in certain situations, it'll never cease to be useful. If it just looks cool and it's always quicker to just hit them, then yeah, not that good.

For sure. There's plenty of things they can do to keep all the combat and abilities interesting and effective throughout. I mainly just hate it when gameplay demos show that very specific kind of cool stuff. It'd be more fun to think of that myself and do it in the game. Show that we can stop lasers mid air and let our minds run wild with the possibilities. Don't then also show us one of the possibilities. Right or wrong, then feeling the need to show off something so specific (and inefficient) makes me feel like they showed off one of the two possibilities and the final product won't be as interesting.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dislike EA a much as anybody. But I like what I saw overall. It checks all the boxes of stuff I need In SP games.

Third person.

Simple controls.

Cool graphics.

Building character relationships to make the story better.

Only thing I didn't care for was the environment in that section of gameplay.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It would have been dope to have a POC protagonist but Cal seems better than the black haired and bearded hero's we always get.

lumzi23

Jan 16, 2018
I liked the combat itself. The animation and movement in general looks weird. Guy doesn't move like a Jedi.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think the issue here is that folks were expecting this game to surpass RDR2 and GoW / Spider Man / Horizon in visuals. It looks good me thinks. The game after will look better.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I wanted a open world and vehicles. So I'm disappointed with this, everything else looks good.

Will play on Ea Access once it hits the sub service. (I refuse to buy games any more)

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The GI story makes the game sound awesome. Too bad the gameplay demo didn't show some of that stuff off.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
Maybe it's just seeing Forest Whitaker in the demo, but the tone of this is reminding me of Rogue One a lot. Gameplay looks fine, but I was really hopeful after Titanfall 2 that we would see something a bit different from a 3rd person combat game with a lightsaber.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019

The problem with throwing the axe in God of War and pinning someone to the wall is that it is only cool once.
The problem with using your super in Destiny is that it is only cool once.
The problem with chainsawing someone in Gears of War is that it is only cool once.