Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Where is the actual PC day-and-date announcement? I see Lucasarts has confirmed a PC release but can't find anyone actually saying that PC release isn't delayed.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Does "console launch exclusive" mean the only console this is coming to is PS5, or that it's going to be on PS5 exclusively for the first month and then other consoles?

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Interesting, I wonder if they are modernizing controls for console. It might play better on PC if not. I imagine that they'll modernize it though. The CRPG controls worked on controller but never as good as a keyboard and mouse.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
Developer is talking in the stream now. Said it's a "full on remake from the ground up".

It was assumed, but good to confirm it's not just a "remaster".

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely ridiculous. Wonder if all the people who complained about Xbox making traditionally third party franchises exclusive will raise hell on this.

If exclusives have moral standards, then KotOR should not be unavailable on Xbox. It ignores the legacy that game franchise has with Xbox
Kind of like how Bethesda games should not be unavailable on PlayStation or other platforms as they've always been known for being 3rd party, and yet Microsoft acquired Bethesda out of desperation just to have a "mic drop" moment and no other real purpose at all? Exclusives will keep happening.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
How far off is this? Being that we got no in-game screen shots or anything....wondering when it will release. I loved the original game on the the OG Xbox and would buy this day 1....but just really curious what it looks like. Watching the 'after show' thing and the guy from the dev. is not telling us much. Just want one screen shot like a before and after picture.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I cannot fucking wait for this. This is one game I've been hoping for years would get a remake.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Also, this is one of the games where i am absolutely fine if they change the combat completely.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Why would a remake that is legends become canon? I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Revan was made canon already.

I see no reason for it not to be, while it would be incongruous to have a big release be Legends. If anything, this is the way they reintroduce older history and get to choose what they keep.

Exactly what I'm thinking. They've already made Revan (and Malak) canon (through the visual dictionary for Rise of Skywalker). So now they can form the back story elements that will be made canon.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I replayed the original a couple of months ago, they really will need to re-build the entire thing. There's a lot that's just not that compelling in 2021, and the original is in my top five games of all time.

Hope it leads to a proper KOTOR 2 that is content complete and a sequel in the future.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I have waited for this announcement for years and to have it announced as a Sony exclusive is a punch in the balls.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Launch exclusive so I guess 6 months to a year till we see it on Xbox. I just excited to play this game again.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of like how Bethesda games should not be unavailable on PlayStation or other platforms as they've always been known for being 3rd party, and yet Microsoft acquired Bethesda out of desperation just to have a "mic drop" moment and no other real purpose at all? Exclusives will keep happening.

Your interpretation of why a large service/platform owner would acquire a publisher just to have a "mic drop" is interesting, lol.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
why are people talking about money hat when Sony is the Publisher of the Game?
this is no different than the Marvel-Spider-Man Situation where Sony is the Publisher

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
Its AAA production and they specifically build their team for this game:

www.starwars.com

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Strikes Back with New Remake

Lucasfilm Games’ Orion Kellogg and Aspyr’s Ryan Treadwell speak exclusively with StarWars.com about remaking a video game classic.

Thanks for sharing this.

I'm actually content with the developers for this one. Because honestly, who else would you rather have for this project? Before Cyber Punk, my answer would have easily been CD Project Red, but now? Not anymore. Bioware is a shell of it's former self with almost none of the developers from the original behind the game working there now. Chris Avellone isnt with Obsidian anymore.

A dedicated team of developers literally built for this game is a great plan in my opinion. The actual execution, we will wait and see.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
This is absolutely ridiculous. Wonder if all the people who complained about Xbox making traditionally third party franchises exclusive will raise hell on this.

If exclusives have moral standards, then KotOR should not be unavailable on Xbox. It ignores the legacy that game franchise has with Xbox
This is the video games business bro. All parties fighting for your wallet. If they can get you to buy their system then this is how they will continue to do it.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
How can one be so factually wrong but write with such confidence? haha

"In September 1997, Sony Computer Entertainment signed a deal with Eidos to make console releases for the Tomb Raider franchise exclusive to the PlayStation, preventing the Sega Saturn or the Nintendo 64 from having any Tomb Raider game released for it until 2000, a deal that would prove very beneficial to Sony both in terms of revenue and also in further cementing the PlayStation's growing reputation as the go-to system for must-have exclusive titles."

Tomb Raider 2 (and future games) in 1997 would like to have a word with you. Xbox didn't even exist yet.
I mean, in that context Nintendo was strong arming third parties throughout the NES/SNES era to control content, release dates, etc., even leading to bootleg cartridge production by non-trivial publishers.

Controlling content availability has been a thing as long as we've had competing hardware platforms. I can't recall exact stories but I'd guarantee there was all kinds of bullshit even during the Atari/Intellivision/Coleco/etc. period.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I am unbelievably excited about KOTOR being remade. But it will take many years to release.... so that excitement kind of will fall within a year for me. It's incredible they are undertaking this though. KOTOR is my favourite star wars game ever.

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
Considering I don't have a PS5 yet. I'll just wait on xbox and who knows, it may be on gamepass.

Putting that aside. This surprised me soooo hard!

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-6.jpg

It's canon now.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
a notification from the Knights of the Old Republic game on my ios says its for ps5 and pc

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Member of the LFL story group basically saying it's not canon (though he's clearly not allowed to say outwardly):

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
a KOTOR 1 remake brings us that much closer to a KOTOR 2 remake, which brings us that much closer to KOTOR 3.

Member of the LFL story group basically saying it's not canon (though he's clearly not allowed to say outwardly):

Good. The canon is irredeemably stupid now. Just hope it doesn't keep us from getting sequels.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
KotOR takes place so long before the movies that it could not matter less whether or not it's canon.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
This is the video games business bro. All parties fighting for your wallet. If they can get you to buy their system then this is how they will continue to do it.
Oh for sure - ultimately Playstation can do what they want. I am going to buy a PS5 to play this game (alongside the other incredible games we saw today - which is obviously why they continue to do it) My post was directed at the hypocrisy here. Either we apply these moral standards to exclusives, or we don't and recognize they are arbitrary (and just cover for console war narratives.)

Exclusives have always happened, and will continue to happen. Just a bit disappointed that KotOR's legacy on Xbox is being ignored with this announcement

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Does "console launch exclusive" mean the only console this is coming to is PS5, or that it's going to be on PS5 exclusively for the first month and then other consoles?
That wording they use is very odd. If this was a true console exclusive it would not have the tag of "console launch exclusive". It sounds like it will be on other "consoles" in the future, but at launch only on PS5 (console). Hope some clarity is coming.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Very interested in this, Manaan will be the highlight world for me.
Hopefully they redo the combat system.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I'm confused on this. Thought its a Star Wars propertt made using the Bioware Engine originally and pubkished by Bioware. Shouldn't the IP be partially owned by MS now?? Unless its being remade from the ground up.