• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It's like you're not even a fan of the Star Wars movies.
First, the rebellion made anti-capital ship fighters with the B-Wings.
Second, George Lucas based his entire space battles stuff on WW2, where fighters were used to destroy a whole mess of boats. This is why in so much media (canon, noncanon, and EU) you always see fighters taking out capital ships, even Star Destroyers.
Third, secondary bridges were always around (IRL TOO). The reason the Executor was destroyed after the bridge was smashed is because the crew couldn't get to other bridge in time before it was too late. It takes a while for the crew to react to things like that, if they even know the bridge was destroyed in the first place (battles are pretty hectic like that).

Oh God, are we just measuring our Wookieepedia dicks now? I'm out, man. You got me. Sorry I forgot that B-Wings are apparently 'anti-capital ship fighters', despite the fact that they're never referred to as such or even shown attacking capital ships in Return of the Jedi. I guess TIE Fighters can permanently disable capital ships to the point that they stop moving if you say so, even though we've never seen it happen in any of the movies, but Hux decided to call them back just for funsies, even though he knew Snoke would kill him if he let the Rebels go. What a terrible movie that nobody put any thought into writing.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Sure, that's why I'm like, whatever. I think it was meant to be funny. I found it cute. I had a smile.

After what happened to her place on Takodana, I can imagine she's out in some kind of mess.

I dunno, again, it's just sorta there. A logical way to include Maz in a story that didn't need her but wanted to catch up with her a bit.

It was one of the three most embarrassing scenes in the movie where I just sat and thought " i kinda want to leave".

Maz looks like a cartoon in that scene, she's hitting all those cliches like i had a steamy sex/romance with this guy, I'm in the middle of a firefight ('cause I'm badass) and it's a long story that you don't want to know about(because the writers didn't even want telling it) and as a minor complaint she's doing inexplicable things like visualizing out the exact lapel that she's talking about(how is she doing that in the middle of a fight?). This was Jar-Jar bad to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I like Last Jedi but it's not very high on my Star Wars list. I vastly preferred Force Awakens and I think I liked Rogue One more as well... maybe

TLJ really made me appreciate TFA a lot more. I had a much lower opinion of it but I think it's near perfect until SKB fires... then it loses itself.

Biggest thing for me is it has all those little details of the universe that seems to be overlooked in TLJ, and everything feels deliberate and less chasing a tableau.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think Rian wrote Maz to be with the Resistance on the Raddus to give Finn and Poe that info originally as I believe JJ shot scenes with her on D'Qar but then cut her in the final cut. So then Rian had to change that scene to her Skyping in. Similar to the Falcon dice.

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
Also, if you're making accounts just to be negative, you'll forgive me if I throw your opinions into the dumpster full-stop.
I see nothing wrong with that.
If they're able to give their view on the matter, i more than welcome their point if they're detailed.

It's how i shop for electronics and anything with moving parts on Amazon. If they had a problem, I'm glad they made their account just to bitch.
From their review, i can figure out how good or bad it is, even if its overwhelmingly negative views. The more details the better.
Some people are just nitpicky or they just may not like it for reasons i wouldn't care, but i don't care if that's their first post or anything. It's their experience and its completely valid... for them. I respect their point of view and will even tell other people about those views if they ask for my view on the matter. So i may not care, but other people will.

I generally do not give a shit on for opinions on movies, books, or music though. I read an exerpt for something and see if i like the premise or not. From there, i may take in people's views on the matter, if I'm unsure. For Star Wars, i've gone in blind for every movie since TPM. With TLJ, I'm not going in blind anymore and they'll have to pull something REALLY HUGE for me to care for the last film. Some guy up there^ mentioned the Chiss stuff and i'd pay money for that type of fanservice.
So you can see how Star Wars fans are. Whether their opinion was negative or not for previous movies, they can fork over their money despite shit stories. And I'll add to to the box office revenue for the next movie whether i do like the movie or not. But right now? I just do not care with how poorly done the first two movies were.

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Jedi simply gave me, as a fan since around 7-8 years old, a lot more to think about while watching it than any of the others.

Nearly every scene had me glued and contemplating, from the characters actions to the dialogue and some of the mysteries.

I found the connection between Rey and Kylo fascinating. I found Luke in general completely fascinating and a better character than he's ever been.

And we can argue all day about the execution of the infamous Leia scene, but it had my mouth agape. I was in shock during that whole thing because it was outta nowhere, completely ballsy and threw me for every loop imaginable.

The throne room scene blew my mind, like with the Leia scene, I was just completely flatlined by everything transpiring. I found it surprising and shocking so many times, and what they did with Luke was fantastic.

I think the best way I can describe the film, is in fact, shocking. For me anyway. I'm not begging for anyone to agree, but when the initial impressions came out before the movie released, I kept seeing that it was the shortest 2 and a half hour movie some people have seen, and I get that. I think being entranced by the characters and Star Wars mythology and just the curveballs Rian kept throwing in every direction, it had me completely attentive, leaning toward the screen like I was studying for a fucking exam, and that's never happened with me in a Star Wars film. Not even close.

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
I see nothing wrong with that.
If they're able to give their view on the matter, i more than welcome their point if they're detailed.

It's how i shop for electronics and anything with moving parts on Amazon. If they had a problem, I'm glad they made their account just to bitch.
From their review, i can figure out how good or bad it is, even if its overwhelmingly negative views. The more details the better.
Some people are just nitpicky or they just may not like it for reasons i wouldn't care, but i don't care if that's their first post or anything. It's their experience and its completely valid... for them. I respect their point of view and will even tell other people about those views if they ask for my view on the matter. So i may not care, but other people will.

That's logical.

At the same time, some people make accounts on Amazon to lower the score because of personal shipping issues and sometimes the products coming in broken or missing parts or something. Like with films or anything else there's a variety of different perspectives and reasons people sign up to sound off on things.

I too look for negative reviews for products I want to order, but I ALWAYS seek to counter those arguments with other impressions, and nine times out of ten it's usually something of an isolated incident. While I think the analogy you're trying to make is sound enough, people are still people, and will make accounts and rattle off about shit regardless of perspective or experience.

There have been many products I've ordered where I've say gotten on Twitter or, eh, anywhere, and see people complain about late shipping, or bad packaging, this and that. But I wouldn't use that to NOT order something. If I'm interested enough in a film or videogame or book or TV series, I'll probably give it a run regardless of what I read online.

We all have our own methods of figuring out if something is worth our time, but I don't skip things that I'm even somewhat interested in unless there's some kind of unanimous, wide-spread agreement in one direction.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Nien Nunb and Chewie

Nien Nunb is still kicking and the Millennium Falcon really doesn't have an owner at the moment. Episode IX NEEDS Lando and the Nunbster at the controls again.

I honestly think Rian wrote Maz to be with the Resistance on the Raddus to give Finn and Poe that info originally as I believe JJ shot scenes with her on D'Qar but then cut her in the final cut. So then Rian had to change that scene to her Skyping in. Similar to the Falcon dice.

There's concept art for The Last Jedi showing Maz in the base on Crait so you may be right. Also, her scenes in the base on D'Qar still haven't been released.

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
Oh God, are we just measuring our Wookieepedia dicks now? I'm out, man. You got me. Sorry I forgot that B-Wings are apparently 'anti-capital ship fighters', despite the fact that they're never referred to as such or even shown attacking capital ships in Return of the Jedi.
The B-Wings ultimately don't matter, because TLJ has shown that they don't need them to completely wreck a ship. Just three TIE Fighters will do it.

even though we've never seen it happen in any of the movies
Except we did see it, because the BRIDGE and all its leaders were torched and spaced. Do you know how important C&C and navigation is to a ship? After that's gone, you'er basically just beating a decapitated chicken to death. Even you pointed out the super star destroyer as being destroyed by that A-Wing. Same shit.
The difference here is that they got called back, instead of pushing forward, because the plot demanded it, damn the logic behind it. That's poor writing.
They could have done something different that didn't require 80s cartoon call backs. There's a lot of different ways to make a chase more exciting than what we got or be dramatic without blowing up the bridge.

Seriously, how the fuck did they even think a 2mph chase would be exciting, especially when they have ships in their hangers that can leave at any moment in hyperspace even to escape the doom that Hux thought was inevitable?
Fuck, even the bombers moved at fucking 2mph, being picked off like clay pigeons, instead of some exciting dodging and weaving. The fact that that one bomber was SLOWLY being lasered to death to crawl directly over the dreadnought's weakspot made it worse.
I had never been so bored by space battles.
Terrible action.

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
While I think the analogy you're trying to make is sound enough, people are still people, and will make accounts and rattle off about shit regardless of perspective or experience.
So what?
if they're trolling, just to troll, they don't have a real or good reason to dislike something.
Someone with actual experience will have more detail about it and that's why their reasons are worth reading about.

There's no reason to dismiss it outright like you're doing. If they give an honest opinion, and no, not agreeing with their opinion doesn't make it not valid, it's always valid if they have +6 likes or just joined the forum today.

And people here are trying really hard to dismiss valid critism, by trying to invalidate opinions about how the narrative should follow the direct actions that happen on screen. They call it nitpicking, but it's very hard not to view non sequitors as good story writing. You don't let up on beating the enemy that you want to kill after gaining the upper hand, especially after destroying almost everything that makes a ship work.
A 2mph chase is not exciting... unless there's a lot of comedy being thrown around.
There's a whole mess of shit that just HAPPENS because just because the plot needs it to.
That is not good writing and a lot of people have been criticising it for 3 official threads, and countless side threads and unofficial ones.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The B-Wings ultimately don't matter, because TLJ has shown that they don't need them to completely wreck a ship. Just three TIE Fighters will do it.

Except we did see it, because the BRIDGE and all its leaders were torched and spaced. Do you know how important C&C and navigation is to a ship? After that's gone, you'er basically just beating a decapitated chicken to death.

Obviously not very important, because they blew it up and the ship kept going. They've got backups. You keep trying to tell me they 'incapacitated' the ship and 'permanently disabled' it, but nothing they did even made the ship momentarily slow down. Shooting out gun emplacements, blowing up the fighters inside, blowing up the main bridge; none of it made a difference because the First Order needed the ship to stop.

My dude, I am sorry you didn't find it to be exciting, but the chase isn't an action scene, it's the backdrop of the movie. They set it up, explain the logistics, give reasons for why the characters do what they do that are consistent with how those characters have been portrayed thus far, and then it's basically just a ticking clock in the background while they move on to the more important subplots. If you can't accept it because your imagination tells you that TIE Fighters should be able to make a capital ship stop dead in space, or you think they should have come up with another plot altogether then, hey, that's your prerogative. No hard feelings. But I'm not going to argue this any more; it's just not something that bothers me about this movie at all.

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
Obviously not very important, because they blew it up and the ship kept going.
Something not blowing up ≠ not incapacitated.
I called it a decapitated chicken for a reason and pointed out how the Executor got destroyed.

but nothing they did even made the ship momentarily slow down.
Star Wars physics momentarily entered normal physics... or not. Who really knows and fans are generally forgiving about that.
Shooting out gun emplacements, blowing up the fighters inside, blowing up the main bridge; none of it made a difference because the First Order needed the ship to stop.
Remember how i mentioned that even if the ship did run out of gas, they'd have everything operational again, either through repairs or/and getting to the secondary bridge?
Just send out more TIE Fighters to finish off the job... but oh yeah, only 3 TIE Fighters total for a dozen capital ships that would have had 50+ fighters each in previous movies.
Again, the movie has shown that TIE Fighters can fuck up a capital ship and that they're speedier than even the rebel ships (just like fighters and ships in WW2!)
But nope, can't finish them off with arbitrary reason.

My dude, I am sorry you didn't find it to be exciting, but the chase isn't an action scene, it's the backdrop of the movie.
The chase was an action scene though, until they said that Star Wars physics don't matter anymore for the sake of plot and suddenly Star Destroyers are plodding ships.
They set it up, explain the logistics
You mean completely ignored that they have ships capable of transporting everyone back and forth to various places in hyperspace to save themselves? Or at least bring fuel? Their logistic officers need to be fired.
give reasons for why the characters do what they do that are consistent with how those characters have been portrayed thus far
Holdo being a retard who can't tell anyone her plan except at the obvious last minute maybe consistent with what was shown on screen, but that's a horrible way to write a character that you ultimately have to feel bad/proud about when she saves everyone she and Poe didn't already kill through their shitty plans. Nevermind her demeanor through it all was straight out of an 80s cartoon, except at least when 80s cartoons did shit like that they give a reason that everyone is suspect because there might be a spy on board giving away their location and thus not get the plans for their escape... such as the existing command crew or other pilots (most of which were shown being in the mutiny) who should have gotten the plans.
it's basically just a ticking clock in the background while they move on to the more important subplots.
No shit? No wonder i was so bored everytime they went back to that part of the story. Of course, it's not like the other subplots didn't feel pointless, which added to everyone's displeasure with the movie.
If you can't accept it because your imagination tells you that TIE Fighters should be able to make a capital ship stop dead in space, or you think they should have come up with another plot altogether then, hey, that's your prerogative. No hard feelings. But I'm not going to argue this any more; it's just not something that bothers me about this movie at all.
My imagination can switch back and forth between Star Wars physics and real life physics, but when you try to apply both of them at the same time... it just makes it seem like they simply do not give a shit about universe they're in. Nothing really to do with my imagination and like i said, I'm generally forgiving about it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
BO performance doesn't matter, because everyone who hated it still gave LucasFilm their money, because that's how movies in theaters work.
There's a ton of SW fans who watched it and these same fans will likely go see the next movie even if they hated TLJ.

If you want to use performance to speak for itself, that would mean that a lot of people hated TFA and the new trilogy in general, because they didn't go back to watch TLJ, hence the smaller sales, huh?
Like I already stated in another thread, the % hold is about the same as the 1st to 2nd films in the other trilogies (65-59%). What do you mean the box office performance doesn't matter? You don't spent 200M and get 2B, then 1.3B off of mixed or bad word of mouth. We're not talking opening weekend numbers, we're talking final, WW numbers.

TFA is 3rd highest grossing of all time. TFA is 10th. They both did well in the box office, and the overall drop from TFA to TLJ is in line with what we see from TPM to AOTC and ANH to ESB.

The numbers do speak for themselves. both films combined for 3.3B off of a 400M budget.

That doesn't mean no one disliked TLJ. It just means the vast majority of people enjoyed it. It's got a CinemaScore of "A". Online reviews are a bad way to get an idea of how the audience enjoyed the films. They're wildly sporadic; for example, MC is sitting at 46% (3k disliked, 2.3k liked), RT is at 49%, but then IMDB, which has the higest number of reviews by far, is sitting at 7.5/10, or .5 less than TFA. This is not an accurate way of understanding audience reception; there's a reason why studios care about CinemaScore and not RT/MC/IMDB to get an idea of how well moviegoers liked it.

There is no real evidence that a sizable amount of people disliked TLJ.

I'd definitely argue that a loud minority dislike/hate the film, and that there's far more evidence to point toward moviegoers enjoying the film.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Watching both Clone Wars series and Star Wars Rebels really put it into perspective how much TLJ missed its mark(aside from its plot holes). In all of these shows and even book adaptations there is a level of respect given to the Jedi and sith mythos, lore, and history as well as the empire and republic. The respect for all of that lore and story is lost in this movie in favor of shock value. The problem is that the shock value itself still isn't risky enough. Even though we are introduced to a bunch of elite betting and trading guns to both parties, this isn't expanded upon in a meaningful way to bring light to a gray area that's been missing in the movies. Think about how many gray area characters there are in Rebels and Clone Wars and think about how amazing this made their stories and how fleshed out it made these wars from being a simple good and evil battle to being a series of complications, espionage, betrayals, moral confliction, and more.

There was just a little slice of that in this movie mainly being around Luke and Kylo, which was the best part of the movie. These moments are short-lived and are taken away because of the shock/social message that the movie tries to give, which is that nothing really matters and to move on from the past. While I respect the movie for trying to take that bold step, it could have been told in a better fashion. It was done sloppily. I could post a ton of Star Wars stories, YouTube clips, links to books and other medium that have done this direction better. This is where the disconnect lies with me. No matter how out there or different your ideas are, if the execution is lacking then your ideas become just as meaningless.

Bottom line I'm not angry or sad at the movie like others, I'm disappointed because it was a badly executed half step at stepping out of a box that George Lucas may have incidentally put them into. JJ Abrams has a lot of work ahead of him, or he has very little work left and you will leave episode 9 still wondering about so many things and their connections, to the point that his work will hopefully keep you engaged enough craving what will be released next.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Watching both Clone Wars series and Star Wars Rebels really put it into perspective how much TLJ missed its mark(aside from its plot holes). In all of these shows and even book adaptations there is a level of respect given to the Jedi and sith mythos, lore, and history as well as the empire and republic. The respect for all of that lore and story is lost in this movie in favor of shock value. The problem is that the shock value itself still isn't risky enough. Even though we are introduced to a bunch of elite betting and trading guns to both parties, this isn't expanded upon in a meaningful way to bring light to a gray area that's been missing in the movies. Think about how many gray area characters there are in Rebels and Clone Wars and think about how amazing this made their stories and how fleshed out it made these wars from being a simple good and evil battle to being a series of complications, espionage, betrayals, moral confliction, and more.

There was just a little slice of that in this movie mainly being around Luke and Kylo, which was the best part of the movie. These moments are short-lived and are taken away because of the shock/social message that the movie tries to give, which is that nothing really matters and to move on from the past. While I respect the movie for trying to take that bold step, it could have been told in a better fashion. It was done sloppily. I could post a ton of Star Wars stories, YouTube clips, links to books and other medium that have done this direction better. This is where the disconnect lies with me. No matter how out there or different your ideas are, if the execution is lacking then your ideas become just as meaningless.

Bottom line I'm not angry or sad at the movie like others, I'm disappointed because it was a badly executed half step at stepping out of a box that George Lucas may have incidentally put them into. JJ Abrams has a lot of work ahead of him, or he has very little work left and you will leave episode 9 still wondering about so many things and their connections, to the point that his work will hopefully keep you engaged enough craving what will be released next.
But the theme isn't that the last doesn't matter. It's the opposite, you need everything about the past (especially the failures) to be able to carry on to the future.

Yoda literally sets this out to Luke, who thought the Jedi, it's history etc should die and be forgotten.

It's a story about embracing the past to move on.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But the theme isn't that the last doesn't matter. It's the opposite, you need everything about the past (especially the failures) to be able to carry on to the future.

Yoda literally sets this out to Luke, who thought the Jedi, it's history etc should die and be forgotten.

It's a story about embracing the past to move on.

Wasn't Yoda the one who set the place on fire that Luke was going to anyway, in an attempt to forget the past?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017

The movie is not about grey areas and it is not about discarding the past.

I'm actually kind of mystified by all this talk about "grey" whatever. Is that just from Luke's line in the teaser, "it's so much bigger"? Johnson never said the movie would dig into that. The film doesn't even suggest that. Good and evil are unambiguous in TLJ. Kylo Ren's struggle in TLJ is framed no differently than Vader's in ROTJ -- in other words, it's not about "grey-ness" (whatever that means), but about whether he is good or bad.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the idea that The Last Jedi doesn't respect Star Wars lore is...ugh, I dunno. In a meta commentary way, Luke doesn't care about the "lore" anymore at the start but Yoda shows him that it's important and while we can grow beyond that lore, that it's still an important part of Star Wars.

Like, did a bunch of cinemas just not have the whole Crait sequence or something?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

And yes of course the first reply is calling Tran the worst part of the movie and a bunch agreeing because of course.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the idea that The Last Jedi doesn't respect Star Wars lore is...ugh, I dunno. In a meta commentary way, Luke doesn't care about the "lore" anymore at the start but Yoda shows him that it's important and while we can grow beyond that lore, that it's still an important part of Star Wars.

For real. I mean, Luke's lesson that the force "belongs" to everyone is one of the most reverential statements about the mythology that one could make.

Last edited:

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why wasn't the CGI this good in the movie?
tenor.gif

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The movie is not about grey areas and it is not about discarding the past.

I'm actually kind of mystified by all this talk about "grey" whatever. Is that just from Luke's line in the teaser, "it's so much bigger"? Johnson never said the movie would dig into that. The film doesn't even suggest that. Good and evil are unambiguous in TLJ. Kylo Ren's struggle in TLJ is framed no differently than Vader's in ROTJ -- in other words, it's not about "grey-ness" (whatever that means), but about whether he is good or bad.

This is exactly my point. You seem to have misread what I typed. It is so not gray area that it doesn't feel ambitious enough. It is more of the usual good and evil of empire and rebellion. This is why I'm saying tv shows and books do a better job of not making it such a big dividing line. There are characters who have different motivations and have reasons as to why they chose the side they did or why they had no choice. Hell, the way Rebels fleshed out some of the characters and their motivations from Rogue One was great. I want to see these things in the SW movies but they never happen. Show me the Rebel fighter who defected to the Empire because of family reasons. Show me an empire guard who is so loyal to his job that he loves it, and that he believes he is being a peacekeeper to the Galaxy. Show me the jedi/sith hybrids with white lightsabers they hinted at in Rebels and Clone Wars. Show me something more. I get what you guys are saying about Kylo but he is yet another half-sith in yet another moral struggle.

Like, did a bunch of cinemas just not have the whole Crait sequence or something?

For real. I mean, Luke's lesson that the force belongs to everyone is one of the most reverential statements about the mythology that one could make.

Like I said above, I want them to show us more. Whether in the future or the past, show us this expansion of the force that belongs to everyone. Show us if you're truly going to retcon mitichlorians. Show us why the force doesn't just belong to two factions. Show us why Leia became Superman. Enough of the half steps and hints towards bigger things. Instead I have to wait for the next Star Wars book or tv show to flesh out more because the movie focused on the wrong things. And that's a hopeful thing because usually the books and shows are detailing events before this new trilogy even started, instead of during it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Show us if you're truly going to retcon mitichlorians
what
Show us why the force doesn't just belong to two factions.
That's the thing, it has never belonged to them. You brought up Clone Wars and Rebels and in those we see characters who are Force sensitive who aren't part of the Jedi or the Sith.
Hell, this thing was in Rebels not too long ago.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bendu

Luke is just taking it to the logical conclusions that says that if the Force can live without the Jedi, like we've seen in Clone Wars and Rebels and even in TFA with Maz, then why is the Jedi needed if they just cause issues? The Force can continue without them.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Something not blowing up ≠ not incapacitated.
I called it a decapitated chicken for a reason and pointed out how the Executor got destroyed.

Star Wars physics momentarily entered normal physics... or not. Who really knows and fans are generally forgiving about that.

Remember how i mentioned that even if the ship did run out of gas, they'd have everything operational again, either through repairs or/and getting to the secondary bridge?
Just send out more TIE Fighters to finish off the job... but oh yeah, only 3 TIE Fighters total for a dozen capital ships that would have had 50+ fighters each in previous movies.
Again, the movie has shown that TIE Fighters can fuck up a capital ship and that they're speedier than even the rebel ships (just like fighters and ships in WW2!)
But nope, can't finish them off with arbitrary reason.

The chase was an action scene though, until they said that Star Wars physics don't matter anymore for the sake of plot and suddenly Star Destroyers are plodding ships.

You mean completely ignored that they have ships capable of transporting everyone back and forth to various places in hyperspace to save themselves? Or at least bring fuel? Their logistic officers need to be fired.

Holdo being a retard who can't tell anyone her plan except at the obvious last minute maybe consistent with what was shown on screen, but that's a horrible way to write a character that you ultimately have to feel bad/proud about when she saves everyone she and Poe didn't already kill through their shitty plans. Nevermind her demeanor through it all was straight out of an 80s cartoon, except at least when 80s cartoons did shit like that they give a reason that everyone is suspect because there might be a spy on board giving away their location and thus not get the plans for their escape... such as the existing command crew or other pilots (most of which were shown being in the mutiny) who should have gotten the plans.

No shit? No wonder i was so bored everytime they went back to that part of the story. Of course, it's not like the other subplots didn't feel pointless, which added to everyone's displeasure with the movie.

My imagination can switch back and forth between Star Wars physics and real life physics, but when you try to apply both of them at the same time... it just makes it seem like they simply do not give a shit about universe they're in. Nothing really to do with my imagination and like i said, I'm generally forgiving about it.

Oh my God, man.

Look, when I see Kylo Ren blow up a ship's bridge and not slow it down in any meaningful way, and General Hux pull the fighters back because their ships can't provide cover, and Kylo's wingmen get blasted to prove the point, and Kylo himself agree and turn back, that's enough for me to take it that the TIEs weren't going to be of any more use. That's consistent with my perception of TIE Fighters as depicted in the series to date (i.e. basically cannon fodder), capital ships (i.e. all but immune to small fighters outside of the one fluke in ROTJ that didn't happen again this time), and not materially different from the level of realism I've come to expect from a Star Wars space scene. I don't presume to understand the realities of space warfare in this fictional universe better than the fictional military generals themselves do, so if they tell me what's going on, I believe them. I'm good.

You see the same events and take it that the TIEs were just about to accomplish a feat that no TIEs have ever accomplished in a Star Wars movie until Hux pulled them back as a bullshit contrivance to keep the story moving along. That's not a reading of the movie I agree with, but, hey, I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. If you feel I need another thousand word point-by-point rebuttal of everything I've said then, please, go with God my friend, but I think I've said pretty much everything I can say here.

If anyone needs me I'm going to be making my Rey and Kylo action figures kiss.

D5OAPXL.png

Last edited:

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

And yes of course the first reply is calling Tran the worst part of the movie and a bunch agreeing because of course.

I seriously hope Tran gets a LOT of screen time in IX; the character is fine, the actress is fantastic and it's only her subplot that has issues. The D&D/PnP RPG geek in me feels like her archetype (female mechanic with an attitude) is a perfect fit for the Next Gen Millennium Falcon Crew™.

Of course provided that any of these directors allow the protagonists to, you know, form a party. DON'T FIX WHAT'S NOT BROKEN, RIAN.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Generally I've liked the movie quite a bit but there is one bit I have to nitpick on. Why is the Mandator IV-class ship so flat?! Now I think about it, where does the reactor core even go? I was a bit disappointed to find that there was no cross-section for this ship in the book. Being so flat, it must've been quite troublesome for the artists to try to fit some mechanical lore into that flat space.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Generally I've liked the movie quite a bit but there is one bit I have to nitpick on. Why is the Mandator IV-class ship so flat?! Now I think about it, where does the reactor core even go? I was a bit disappointed to find that there was no cross-section for this ship in the book. Being so flat, it must've been quite troublesome for the artists to try to fit some mechanical lore into that flat space.
To let Poe fly around the top.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The First Order's designer was running out of ideas one night, but just as he was about to give up and tender his resignation he looked over at his half-eaten dinner and had a sudden spark of inspiration:

neymHja.png

Saved his whole career.

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
What do you mean the box office performance doesn't matter? You don't spent 200M and get 2B, then 1.3B off of mixed or bad word of mouth. We're not talking opening weekend numbers, we're talking final, WW numbers.
Because you're trying to use them to prove that the movie made billions because the majority liked the film, despite the fact that everyone who has expressed a negative opinion for the past two dozen threads on Reset also bought their tickets to add to that box office gross. I sure as hell didn't get a refund because i didn't like the movie and I'm sure most everyone else didn't either. We just went speak negative words about what we saw.
They took our money and you're using that money to somehow prove that it's great, despite the fact that it made less than the first movie (if positive sales means good impressions from everyone, thus negative sales means bad impressions. amirite?). Whereas the weekly box office take actually would show how well the audiences received the film, because word of mouth is actually a thing. If it hadn't been for TLJ's great opening week, it wouldn't have done as much money as it did, because ticket sales fell dramatically based on the performances of past SW movies, including Rogue One.

That doesn't mean no one disliked TLJ. It just means the vast majority of people enjoyed it. It's got a CinemaScore of "A". Online reviews are a bad way to get an idea of how the audience enjoyed the films. They're wildly sporadic; for example, MC is sitting at 46% (3k disliked, 2.3k liked), RT is at 49%, but then IMDB, which has the higest number of reviews by far, is sitting at 7.5/10, or .5 less than TFA. This is not an accurate way of understanding audience reception; there's a reason why studios care about CinemaScore and not RT/MC/IMDB to get an idea of how well moviegoers liked it.
Like other people mentioned, even AotC got high ratings and that seems to be universally reviled (i sure as hell didn't see the shitting way back when, despite being on GAF, chat rooms, and other popular forums back then). That sure as hell isn't a good metric considering how everyone here lowly rates all the prequels and believe everyone should have that view, or else they're trolling or unsanitary. I actually would rate TLJ below the Clone Wars pilot/movie, which is below all the prequels for me, but knowing this, you're probably going ot say everything i said is invalid like others have done here, huh?

There is no real evidence that a sizable amount of people disliked TLJ.
You mean this thread with hundreds of posters with negative views in the past 3 threads, side threads, and completely unrelated threads for a month aren't evidence? Or how this forum has had 3 entire threads so far dedicated to people saying its bad and the defense, while the TFA and Rogue One threads weren't even close to this amount of negativity, despite being on a much larger forum?
Or how about all those negative reviews on other places with millions of users, while previous movies had way less negativity?

You're wrong that there's no real evidence, but there's no way to actually gauge how many people liked/disliked it either, considering how flawed their surveying is and box office numbers only prove how much money people spent to see the movie, not how many people went to see it, muchless whether they had a negative or positive view of the movie.

that there's far more evidence to point toward moviegoers enjoying the film.
Here's a nice thing about surveys: you dont have to say anything to them. I've been to screenings where they asked me to do that shit. I've declined in almost every case, because i disliked the movie and just wanted to leave or didn't want to hurt their feelings. Feels bad that i get awesome goodie bags and i'd only shit on their movie. Nevermind surveys like CinemaScore do this shit on opening night, with people who waited weeks to watched the greatest series ever, so lot of their views are undoubtedly going to be biased as hell. Hence AotC being equally as good as TLJ.

BTW, did you know that toy sales are down for TLJ? Even Rogue One had a better sell through. Hint hint about how well received this movie is if kids aren't trying to play that amazing action seen on screen with their favorite TLJ characters like they did with the other two movies.
BTW, BTW, you can still find Force Awakens toys in most stores despite being on clearance for the past three years and B1G1Free sales. So R1 faced worse sales considering stores didn't order as much product as they could because there were even more TFA toys spreading deadly radiation back then, yet it still did better than TLJ.

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
Look, when I see Kylo Ren blow up a ship's bridge and not slow it down in any meaningful way
You're watching a movie. None of this is real. The story dictates says that they HAVE to get away, DESPITE what you saw on screen (the same shit that happened to the Executor).
Nevermind that the entire setting and action is so bad that they look like they're moving at 2mph, so how could you even begin to judge if they're really slowing down anyway?

and General Hux pull the fighters back because their ships can't provide cover, and Kylo's wingmen get blasted to prove the point
Just in the nick of time! Right when they got the heroes exactly where they want them! RATS! They'll get them next time! Simpsonsshakingfistastheyslowlygetaway.gif

That's consistent with my perception of TIE Fighters as depicted in the series to date (i.e. basically cannon fodder) capital ships (i.e. all but immune to small fighters outside of the one fluke in ROTJ that didn't happen again this time), and not materially different from the level of realism I've come to expect from a Star Wars space scene.
Wait, wat? Are you really going ignore the fact that THREE TIE Fighters took down a capital ship in ths movie? Because it sounds like you're ignoring the fact that 3 TIE fighters incapacitated a capital ship in this movie and killed all but two leaders of the rebellion.
Nevermind that Anakin blew up a capital ship all by himself in TPM by mistake. Which Kylo tried to emulate, on purpose even!

That's not a reading of the movie I agree with, but, hey, I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise.
Of course I'm not going to convince you, because here you are ignoring what happened on screen and ignoring the fact you even brought up the SSD from the RotJ being destroyed because a fighter took out its bridge.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Oh God, are we just measuring our Wookieepedia dicks now? I'm out, man. You got me. Sorry I forgot that B-Wings are apparently 'anti-capital ship fighters', despite the fact that they're never referred to as such or even shown attacking capital ships in Return of the Jedi. I guess TIE Fighters can permanently disable capital ships to the point that they stop moving if you say so, even though we've never seen it happen in any of the movies, but Hux decided to call them back just for funsies, even though he knew Snoke would kill him if he let the Rebels go. What a terrible movie that nobody put any thought into writing.

To be fair in Return of the Jedi they barely ever even show the capital ships shooting at each other, it seems like the fleet battle pushed ILM to the limits. I think the B-Wings were always considered anti-capital ship fighters in the extended universe.

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
To be fair in Return of the Jedi they barely ever even show the capital ships shooting at each other, it seems like the fleet battle pushed ILM to the limits. I think the B-Wings were always considered anti-capital ship fighters in the extended universe.
I was just reading the wookiepedia and apparently the B Wings rarely showed up because they were too thin to make out against the backdrops, so most of their action was left out of movie.
I'd pay good money to see this stuff enhanced with CGI and scenes added back in.
I loves me my space battles.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I was just reading the wookiepedia and apparently the B Wings rarely showed up because they were too thin to make out against the backdrops, so most of their action was left out of movie.
I'd pay good money to see this stuff enhanced with CGI and scenes added back in.
I loves me my space battles.

Yeah the one thing I actually would have liked to see added in the Return of the Jedi special edition would be more space battle scenes.