• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 20, 2021
It's a flawed game, the RPG elements don't quite work and it's extremely overwhelming at times.

But what does work is fucking jawdropping. There is simply no other game that matches it's scale.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Starfield definitely been a huge hit, their biggest release to date as they stated, loved the game it's fantastic. Grats to the whole team they should be happy!

Feb 21, 2022
Game was both a departure from BGS RPGs and also very much a BGS RPG through and through.

I'm glad they experimented. It's a great game and the massive success is well deserved.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe an 82 on metacritic is not mixed reception and plenty of people even on here (not normies) love the game?

I do not pay attention to Metacritic scores (outside of gambling with them on the first day) and I certainly don't care about people on Era's opinions. I said what I said, and it's true.

Yogi.

Feb 3, 2023
The strong sales on PC makes sense. Bethesda's RPGs are home on Steam thanks to the fantastic modding community. Game itself didn't click with me at all but I tried playing it when I had pneumonia on launch. I'll have to return to it whenever there happens to be a lull in my games backlog.

Feb 19, 2023
Or maybe an 82 on metacritic is not mixed reception and plenty of people even on here (not normies) love the game?

Even better, it's 86 on Opencritic. I wouldn't use Metacritic for an Xbox Game that, in this case, had its reviews split evenly between PC and Xbox, muddling the average review score. Unlike PlayStation and Nintendo which games release strictly on one platform.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
PC being the biggest-selling segment makes a lot of sense to me, especially since they wisely made it available across both Steam and the Windows Store. I honestly think it would have been a huge hit (in the negative sense) to sales totals if it weren't on Steam. BGS has a real audience there, and there's so many PCs out there to play it on.

It's very hard not to notice people seemingly frustrated by this good news, and thread-policing because they'd like it downplayed. This is specific new news about a major release, and while it's obviously part of the overall picture from the Circana thread, a title landing like this justifying its own discussion space is how this stuff has worked since forever. If people honestly think it's redundant, report the thread and see if moderation agrees (which is also fine if they do agree).

Jun 5, 2023
I started off complaining about the spin in others posts but I realized that was stupid anyway...

The game was part of a subscription service that millions of people already have and people still bought it. I think that's significant.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I do not pay attention to Metacritic scores (outside of gambling with them on the first day) and I certainly don't care about people on Era's opinions. I said what I said, and it's true.
The point wasn't that you should care about metacritic or era opinions. The point is that the critical consensus (metacritic) is not mixed but quite favorable and that plenty of people on era (ie not normies as you put it) and other hardcore bubbles love the game. It doesn't seem surprising that a game that has good reception sold a lot. Same can be said about your second example which generally gets 80s on metacritic although is much more mixed than starfield when it comes to hardcore gaming community.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's very hard not to notice people seemingly frustrated by this good news, and thread-policing because they'd like it downplayed. This is specific new news about a major release, and while it's obviously part of the overall picture from the Circana thread, a title landing like this justifying its own discussion space is how this stuff has worked since forever. If people honestly think it's redundant, report the thread and see if moderation agrees (which is also fine if they do agree).
People need to be reminded how many ToTK sales thread Era has had so far lol (there's even a new one created today). Nobody complains by the way.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
It has it's flaws but no one is or can make a game like this nowadays with how much resources it takes

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The point wasn't that you should care about metacritic or era opinions. The point is that the critical consensus (metacritic) is not mixed but quite favorable and that plenty of people on era (ie not normies as you put it) and other hardcore bubbles love the game. It doesn't seem surprising that a game that has good reception sold a lot. Same can be said about your second example which generally gets 80s on metacritic although is much more mixed than starfield when it comes to hardcore gaming community.

I have no idea why you're telling me any of this.

Is normie just a way to say "people who like popular thing"?

The commoners, RPGam3r. The commoners. You and me, we're of a roughly similar social stature as far as I am aware. Surely you should understand.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Happy for Bethesda. Wish i would have loved the game more, but here is hoping they picked up the criticism for their next banger.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'm also REALLY interested to know if there was a significant Game Pass sub bump. It's so difficult to quantify first party Xbox sales figures now.

Happy for BGS though! Very impressive results with Game Pass no doubt eating a good chunk of sales.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Well deserved IMO, structured differently than a lot of their games, and that's rubbing some people the wrong way. If you pick up on its structure and pace though its fantastic. Challenging game to get into though for sure

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Happy for Bethesda. Wish i would have loved the game more, but here is hoping they picked up the criticism for their next banger.

They will likely experiment on a new concept that seems cool on paper but ultimately ends up half-baked as they usually do rather than building on something proper and improving on it. As they have with all of their games.

"Nothing is sacred at Bethesda" as one Pete Hines said.