• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't get the part seemingly trying to shame home owners with home surveillance setup. I don't know what your personal circumstance is. All I know is you tried to steal/stole my shit.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
This is a worthwhile conversation, but the article that's driving the thread puts quite a large emphasis on the use of cameras catching these thieves, with (intended or not) a tone of them giving people with money an unfair advantage over the thieves. I think that's what's causing the ire, not the discussion on wealth disparity, criminal reform and gentrification.
I'm curious why you say that.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Literally multiple people are.
Someone eventually getting jail time after multiple arrests =/= "bury her"

At some point there has to be consequences for actions, and the fact that the criminal justice system has major structural issues does not mean that EVERY person should be let off scot free just because "FUCK DA POLICE".

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone eventually getting jail time after multiple arrests =/= "bury her"

At some point there has to be consequences for actions, and the fact that the criminal justice system has major structural issues does not mean that EVERY person should be let off scot free just because "FUCK DA POLICE".

Who is being let off scott free here? This woman is now completely homeless, she has lost every possession, she gets arrested every time she has an interaction with police due to endless bench warrants. What would all of that do to your life? Don't give me any of this "I wouldn't have stolen some guys hot sauce order" . This is a person stuck in a system set up to marginalize them from the day they're born. She's already buried.

I don't even understand where your fuck da police comes in here.

May 25, 2019
London
Who is being let off scott free here? This woman is now completely homeless, she has lost every possession, she gets arrested every time she has an interaction with police due to endless bench warrants. What would all of that do to your life? Don't give me any of this "I wouldn't have stolen some guys hot sauce order" . This is a person stuck in a system set up to marginalize them from the day they're born. She's already buried.

shes stuck in the system because she keeps stealing packages

this isn't a hard one

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017

No one should be in that situation after one infraction, or two, or even three....but how many times has it been for her? How many chances has she had?

At some point it is up to her to stop stealing. It isn't on the rest of us to put up with her just because homelessness is sad and it sucks that actions have consequences.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
she's a drug addict guys, this isn't a story of someone stealing to go on vacation. Throwing her in jail isn't necessarily a solution either cause, newsflash, its not hard to get drugs in jail either. I get the 'thief must get arm chopped off' rhetoric but her goal here isn't stealing packages for the sake of stealing packages...its feeding her addiction. The idea she did one stint in rehab and should come out better is about as true as any 'i got one treatment for a disease so now im cured'. The idea that an offer of help/threat of punishment should make someone immediately do the right thing is some hallmark tv stuff if you know anyone dealing with addiction irl

I thought we left all this drug addicts are just bad people rhetoric back in the 80's when it was just poor poc that society was happy to kill anyway. We are supposed to be more enlightened since its white kids from the burbs making the bulk of new users who apparently should have futures and are tragedies, at least what the sympathetic news articles tell me In 2019 as opposed to 'crackheads' in 1999

The problem is juxtaposing this with people who just want their mail. Like, yeah, drug addiction and how we tackle that through the judicial system is broken and needs fixing. But it's ok to be pissed someone is stealing your amazon packages and charging purchases on your stolen credit card. It's not the responsibility of these specific residents to change the way the justice system operates. The article almost wants to paint them as an opposition to that change.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No one should be in that situation after one infraction, or two, or even three....but how many times has it been for her? How many chances has she had?

At some point it is up to her to stop stealing. It isn't on the rest of us to put up with her just because homelessness is sad and it sucks that actions have consequences.

You're boiling this down to people are being forced to put up with her because homelessness is sad?

People are putting up with her because no one wants to deal with the systematic problems of racism and inequality.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
You're boiling this down to people are being forced to put up with her because homelessness is sad?

People are putting up with her because no one wants to deal with the systematic problems of racism and inequality.
Racism and inequality being a major issue is not a free pass for someone to commit crimes without consequence.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019

What does race have to do with this?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh yeah, this woman has not been given a free pass, I explained up above, now we're just going in circles.

But the article heavily suggests, by mentioning how amazon will just replace packages when told it was stolen, that these privileged folks shouldn't be so concerned about package theft because look at how this lady has ended up.

May 25, 2019
London
She was stuck in the system long before she stole a package.

from the article:

"But Fairley regularly skipped her hearings—she'd lose track of the dates, she later told me, and just had "a lot going on"—which slowed the process of resolving the cases. Again and again, in her absence, the judge would issue bench warrants, and Fairley would eventually be arrested and booked into jail, from which the judge would release her to await her next hearing, with demands that she report to diversion programs or Narcotics Anonymous meetings—all while neighbors continued to report on Nextdoor that they were watching her steal mail."

The judge was even releasing her so she didn't have to sit in jail with the mild stipulation that she go to rehabilitation program meetings....and she kept stealing packages instead.

At some point the individual has to accept responsibility for their own actions

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But the article heavily suggests, by mentioning how amazon will just replace packages when told it was stolen, that these privileged folks shouldn't be so concerned about package theft because look at how this lady has ended up.

The article mentions that being her thinking, but then goes on to detail multiple arrests for her thefts and multiple bench warrant arrests, eviction, losing all her own possessions, losing custody of her children, and becoming completely homeless. That doesn't seem like much of a free pass.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
from the article:

"But Fairley regularly skipped her hearings—she'd lose track of the dates, she later told me, and just had "a lot going on"—which slowed the process of resolving the cases. Again and again, in her absence, the judge would issue bench warrants, and Fairley would eventually be arrested and booked into jail, from which the judge would release her to await her next hearing, with demands that she report to diversion programs or Narcotics Anonymous meetings—all while neighbors continued to report on Nextdoor that they were watching her steal mail."

The judge was even releasing her so she didn't have to sit in jail with the mild stipulation that she go to rehabilitation program meetings....and she kept stealing packages instead.

At some point the individual has to accept responsibility for their own actions

Also from the article, her parents lost custody of her when she was 5.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The article mentions that being her thinking, but then goes on to detail multiple arrests for her thefts and multiple bench warrant arrests, eviction, losing all her own possessions, losing custody of her children, and becoming completely homeless. That doesn't seem like much of a free pass.

The article is deliberately making this the privileged inhabitants of a primarily upper class neighborhood with their expensive surveillance doorbells vs this poor woman. The grievances of the residents are continuously diminished (they can just get it replaced! they're wealthy!) along with her crimes (the people she's robbing seem so mad!). The thesis is weird and muttled and comes across as misjudged.

May 25, 2019
London
Also from the article, her parents lost custody of her when she was 5.

Should this person be allowed to commit any crime they want for the rest of their lives because of an unfortunately tragic childhood?

I think the "system" has been pretty lenient with her. They want her to get her life together. But she's basically ignoring them and continuing to steal stuff.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The problem is juxtaposing this with people who just want their mail. Like, yeah, drug addiction and how we tackle that through the judicial system is broken and needs fixing. But it's ok to be pissed someone is stealing your amazon packages and charging purchases on your stolen credit card. It's not the responsibility of these specific residents to change the way the justice system operates. The article almost wants to paint them as an opposition to that change.

It is though; some even pointed out in the article that they understand the fucked situation that she's in vs them. Like I said in one of my other replies I too am one of the people who've gotten pissed at getting shit stolen. But at the end of the day nothings working and its going to get worse for people like her, and her neighbors getting shit jacked
Should this person be allowed to commit any crime they want for the rest of their lives because of an unfortunately tragic childhood?

I think the "system" has been pretty lenient with her. They want her to get her life together. But she's basically ignoring them and continuing to steal stuff.

lol@ ignoring them. Its odd, most of the drug addicts I know are very logical people, dunno her problem, lol

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is though; some even pointed out in the article that they understand the fucked situation that she's in vs them. Like I said in one of my other replies I too am one of the people who've gotten pissed at getting shit stolen. But at the end of the day nothings working and its going to get worse for people like her, and her neighbors getting shit jacked

But they aren't working in opposition to making any of those changes. The article paints them as the entitled obstacles to a solution.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019

This article, and the poster you responded to is just trying to make it seem okay that an addict is stealing things and not following what the judges are telling her to do. This happens all across the country and has nothing to do with anything except that she's an addict who needs help, but continually avoids the help the court system is trying to give her help. But she failed three drug test for meth while in rehab.

The article even makes a point to show that all races and genders are stealing in this neighborhood. And even speaking to another black woman in the article about the issues. But the poster you responded to is determined to make it a race and gender story instead of an addiction story.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean what does this have to do with nextdoor really. This is just the story of a sad addict continually relapsing. But its understandable people got tired of their stuff getting stolen

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
The segments in the OP lead you down that path. People with money move in, they bring surveillance culture with them, it's primarily targeting crimes committed by the poorest.
Reading the whole article won't unless you focus on blame. The whole article and the response here gives me fake news vibes. The article delves into the horror for her kids, the city's history, the victims response, etc. Hell, the article talks about how theft keeps happening when she's in jail and leaves this nearly unaddressed.

This article is very detailed and a recounting of a lot of the details that a summary is not doing it justice.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I mean what does this have to do with nextdoor really. This is just the story of a sad addict continually relapsing. But its understandable people got tired of their stuff getting stolen
Next door has some awful vibes. And the article goes far to link the reactions people have to the lady to business interests.

It talked about how many, including me, feel racism is simmering at next door and how next door responda, or didn't respond to those concerns. Next door is valued in the billions and seems like a haven for people who love to report crime. In my neighborhood, with minimal crime, I always saw reports of "gunshots" even though you'll never find it in police reports.

So next door is profiting off of these issues. Amazon bought Ring. And is selling electronic door bells for over $100. And selling cloud services. The article makes a point that this is largely to catch package thieves. So they have reason to allow immoral decisions to go on. Like partnering with police departments and give free Ring products to police. All of this is in the article. And if it's not evident, I do have to ask if you payed attention to that part.

Yes, superficially, the story is about a thief. But there's a lot more. Big business has an impact on our lives. The article draws a straight line from the thief to the community and the response to the thief. Sure, she did a lot of fucked up things. But this story is more about everyone around the thief. Are we okay with a community deputizing itself and harassing the thief's family? Does technology like this make you safer? Will the thief's conviction make you safer or does it scratch an itch for punishment.

And I could only stand 1 well on next door before it felt like the old place's new vibe.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Nextdoor for me is 98% garbage 1% lost animals and 1% actually helping police catch thieves.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Would u steal for your daughters survival though?

Maybe. But that's not what she did.

In the months that followed, the police would find a cache of the neighbors' belongings and mail in her possession. Her sister told me that Fairley generally sold the packages "for a little bit of nothing, just to get high," or ate any deliveries that contained food. (Police say thieves generally sell their pickings on eBay, Craigslist, or to middlemen, who may hawk them at flea markets.) Fairley insisted to me that she stole only a small number of items—"I did it maybe once or twice, three times at the most; it wasn't like a new job I went into"—and that she sold just one of them, a set of storage bins, for about $20.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Nextdoor is basically, "there's a person of color in the area, everyone be in alert" all day, everyday.

BigBlue

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Understand poverty and the effects it can have on people before you go around calling these people "assholes"

Like seriously all of you saying "poor people should do better" look like completely idiots

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Nextdoor is basically, "there's a person of color in the area, everyone be in alert" all day, everyday.

Eh, not where I live. Right now it's mostly lost pets, package thieves (latest is a 20 something white woman in yoga pants trailing an Amazon delivery truck and snatching several )and people shaming others for using lethal rat poison to protect from severe property damage even when pets are safe.

May 25, 2019
London
Understand poverty and the effects it can have on people before you go around calling these people "assholes"

Like seriously all of you saying "poor people should do better" look like completely idiots

I don't think anybody here is saying "they should just pull themselves up by their own bootstraps!"

It's more, "Show up to your court date. And if you don't, when the judge gives you a path out of jail that is just attending rehabilitation programs, maybe go to those instead of stealing more stuff."

I really don't see why that is a bridge too far in this situation. Maybe people like having things stolen from them

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah I get addiction is hard (I'm 18 months sober from alcohol) and racial baggage can make things way worse, but she has been given many chances and rehab opportunities. So sorry, I'm way more interested in the primary victim - the child, and secondary the theft victims.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ya no it's not. It's people looking for services, complaining about neighbors and bad landscaping, a few "aweee" posts, and the odd kids doing damage or stolen car.

Would u steal for your daughters survival though?

Looks more like she was stealing to support her drug habit than for her daughter's survival. She'd probably make more working even a minimum wage job than stealing packages and hawking the random shit for pennies on the dollar but the job requires responsibility and not using drugs while working. I'm sure most of the packages are useless crap that would hard to sell.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Amazon will find a way to profit from this, like selling branded deposit boxes that people bolt to their walls outside and are locked up, and the delivery guy has the only type of key that will get in.

They've been doing this for two years now.

Poverty, addiction, and homelessness will make you desperate.

More importantly, the system doesn't do anything to disuade you from doing such things, you just end up shifted around, and usually deposited right back where you were, with less stuff.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
An associate told me about how there was a burglar going into people's homes while they slept. His nextdoor community talked about going Bryon Smith on the burglar.

Fortunately the police caught the burglar before they murdered him.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Ya no it's not. It's people looking for services, complaining about neighbors and bad landscaping, a few "aweee" posts, and the odd kids doing damage or stolen car.

Looks more like she was stealing to support her drug habit than for her daughter's survival. She'd probably make more working even a minimum wage job than stealing packages and hawking the random shit for pennies on the dollar but the job requires responsibility and not using drugs while working. I'm sure most of the packages are useless crap that would hard to sell.
Yeah, yes it is. Everywhere isn't just like where you live. Just like everywhere isn't like where I live. It's not that in your area good for you. It is exactly that in a lot of communities here.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Jesus. That was an unnecessarily long article.

That said, I did read it, and I have to say that I still can't find it in me to sympathize with someone like this. She has a clear and lengthy history of stealing on a regular basis, both from her workplace and her neighbors. She attempts to justify her crimes by lying to herself and others, claiming that she didn't believe she was inconveniencing anyone because Amazon would simply replace the packages or that someone else would've stolen them, anyway. Even if she was legitimately only stealing unimportant items, I think it's selfish and naive to assume that you can claim to know how important any one item is to somebody (especially when she wouldn't have known what was inside any of the packages ahead of time). She also should've made more of an effort to keep track of her court dates, assuming she wasn't purposefully just blowing them off.

I understand that the drug angle makes things more complicated, but this is a pretty clear case of someone who should've relocated a long time ago through whatever means possible. It's pretty clear that the majority of her neighbors don't trust her, and her work history does nothing to make her deserving of a shot at a decent job. It's pretty clear that "rehabilitation" centers don't do enough to effectively clean people up, nor does jail/prison do them much good in this regard. That said, I think there should be some sort of overhaul of the jail/prison/rehabilitation system to better prepare people for release. Someone like Fairley should be relocated for her own good, because it's apparent that her neighbors no longer trust her (and rightfully so), and she needs a clean start in an area that isn't prohibitively expensive to make ends meet in. There comes a point at which you need to live within your means, and you need to live in an area that facilitates that.

Last edited:

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so if they are tired of this cycle of crime and poverty maybe they should write and research ways in which society itself can fix it so they don't want to steal from porches.

Writing an article that wants everyday citizens with these devices to sympathize with the criminals is missing the forest for the trees.

The rich have always had this ability since its inception and now that lower classes can easily afford it, it's the surveillance state.