• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
rC2arWJ.png

Amazing... and i assume this is STILL not the full owners data for launch day since it needs 3 days to stabilize for the most part right?

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Incredible success for a great game. Congrats to Capcom for taking that risk and have it pay off big time.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You guys are mocking this statement, but you do understand what "legs" mean right? MHW's PC release has nothing to do with legs on PS4/XB1. It's a new release on another platform, so how does it challenge that statement at all? MHW is seeing great success on PC right now, and you guys choose to make these one-liners to mock unrelated points instead of celebrating? Jesus Christ. Are some of you people so mad about MH veterans that you have to make comments like this in every MHW thread?
You mistakenly typed "MH veterans" instead of "Nintendo fanboys." An easy mistake to make if you spend a lot of time in Media Create threads and not in MHW OTs.

The legs meme has always been an obvious (and rather toothless) attempt to downplay what is unmistakably, inarguably the best selling, most successful, and most profitable MH game in the franchise's history.

No one at Capcom is concerned about the game's performance. No investors are jumping off ledges because the series' best seller isn't selling the same amount over a longer time frame. The "lack of legs" does not mean suddenly that audiences reject the most popular entry in the franchise (that has been received well by all but a tiny minority of users). No one in their right mind is worried that a sequel to this game will still poorly because of the same "lack of legs."

The reason people trash on those select warriors who bemoan the legs of a game almost none of them have played (or ever plan to play) is because those posters somehow manage to make their way into every MH thread, even ones not about sales, to bring up their tired-ass, transparent bullshit so they can pretend somehow MH will go back to Nintendo.

They're not posting as MH veterans. Shit, they're not even MH fans. No fan of a franchise would be celebrating or hoping for the most ambitious and expensive iteration of the franchise to bomb just because it isn't on their favorite console.

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why The title says 2-5m and the thread says between 1-2m?

Anyway I expect MHW to sell 10 million.. on consoles and 13-15m million overall

Can't stop the train now

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Man Capcom really knocked this shit outta the park, they had strong reception from the reveal all the way to release and beyond

This is real best case scenario stuff

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, already? Those are amazing numbers if true. Let's see if Capcom will announce it this week in some PR.

Yeah it's pretty sad as some of the discussion can be pretty interesting based on the detailed numbers given. I read the data from most threads and just a few posters before moving on every week. I mean, when there was the "waka waka" meme floating around last year from people that are literally excited about a Nintendo Pac-Man on the sales pie chart, it's kinda sad. NPD threads were pretty egregious with rabid Sony fans for a while but there was always better overall discussion to be had.

"waka waka" is simply to show the market share of the week. It's bizarre to be offended by that.

Plenty of veterans love the game. Plenty of veterans are disappointed by changes made to the formula. I'm a "veteran" (I only started about 5 years ago with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS) and while World isn't my favorite Monster Hunter, it's really fucking good and a massive leap forward for the series in many aspects.

It's annoying when people try to speak for all of us for their console warz bullshit.

I don't know about that guy but plenty of people are concerned about it's legs and not because of console war bullshit. MH slowed down on PS4/Xbox One since it's launch and that's why there's such argument of legs that slowed in comparison to past releases and on it's own. Of course, with an update, DLC or live service events to renew interest the sales can get bigger but so far with what Capcom is doing the result is this.

And of course, none of this means that MHW isn't a success. It just means that it's slowing down on it's sales after months of it's initial release and with nothing to gather more interest, it's not getting more.

You mistakenly typed "MH veterans" instead of "Nintendo fanboys." An easy mistake to make if you spend a lot of time in Media Create threads and not in MHW OTs.

The legs meme has always been an obvious (and rather toothless) attempt to downplay what it unmistakably, inarguably the best selling, most successful, and most profitable MH game in the franchise's history.

No one at Capcom is concerned about the game's performance. No investors are jumping off ledges because the series' best seller isn't selling the same amount over a longer time frame. The "lack of legs" does not mean suddenly that audiences reject the most popular entry in the franchise (that has been received well by all but a tiny minority of users). No one in their right mind is worried that a sequel to this game will still poorly because of the same "lack of legs."

The reason people trash on those select warriors who bemoan the legs of a game almost none of them have played (or ever plan to play) is because those posters somehow manage to make their way into every MH thread, even ones not about sales, to bring up their tired-ass, transparent bullshit so they can pretend somehow MH will go back to Nintendo.

They're not posting as MH veterans. Shit, they're not even MH fans. No fan of a franchise would be celebrating or hoping for the most ambitious and expensive iteration of the franchise to bomb just because it isn't on their favorite console.

Most of the people aren't talking about the legs of the game in the way that you talks. You people are being extremely overprotective over this when it's a normal concern for any game when it's sales are slowing down months after it's release on the consoles and that has nothing to do with a sequel doing less or not but the actual game. It's just a silly argument at this point.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Damn, this game is literally printing money for Capcom. Either way, congrats on the success, Capcom.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, lets be real. With RDR2 they're probably doing the exact same thing they did with GTAV. Release on current-gen first, then get people to double dip or even triple dip on next-gen and PC versions in 2 years.

The double dip market is a niche crowd, and making a port of a big open world game isn't easy or cheap even for the giant publishers.

Last edited:

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for this for years. I've been hoping for years that if MH would ever release on steam that it would sell enough to at least justify future ports. I've never dared to even entertain the thought of 2-5m sales on launch day on steam. Feels great to finally live in the timeline of monster hunter being firmly rooted into PC. Now they need to ditch their outdated model of one-and-done no support 60$ release and bring the series into GaaS (it's not an evil term people, in fact GaaS is great to keep interest high over a long period of time)

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The legs meme has always been an obvious (and rather toothless) attempt to downplay what is unmistakably, inarguably the best selling, most successful, and most profitable MH game in the franchise's history.

The game seems to be quite demanding so I'm not sure how this would run on Switch, once they develop hardware that is comparable to current hardware they won't be losing out on titles like this so they only have themselves to blame. Nintendo builds hardware based on their 1st party development, they don't really care what everyone else is doing.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit! Who knew the PC crowd would like an AAA hardcore action game.........

It's an absolutely great fit with the PC audience.

The game seems to be quite demanding so I'm not sure how this would run on Switch, once they develop hardware that is comparable to current hardware they won't be losing out on titles like this so they only have themselves to blame. Nintendo builds hardware based on their 1st party development, they don't really care what everyone else is doing.

It's impossible on a technical level to build a portable with current gen hardware. I think DF did a video on that topic.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about that guy but plenty of people are concerned about it's legs and not because of console war bullshit. MH slowed down on PS4/Xbox One since it's launch and that's why there's such argument of legs that slowed in comparison to past releases and on it's own. Of course, with an update, DLC or live service events to renew interest the sales can get bigger but so far with what Capcom is doing the result is this.

And of course, none of this means that MHW isn't a success. It just means that it's slowing down on it's sales after months of it's initial release and with nothing to gather more interest, it's not getting more.
I'm fine with discussion about Monster Hunter World's legs purely in the context of Monster Hunter World as a game. Capcom's support for the game has been disappointing for those who expected an update schedule similar to titles marketing themselves as games as a service.

The problem is that much of the financial talk about Monster Hunter World has basically been a proxy for console wars between Sony and Nintendo fanboys. The Media Create threads before the game came out were downright embarrassing to the point the mods actually told them to tone it down. And this dick measuring has become very tiresome and transparent.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
2-5 million, how do they come up with that range? Capcom should release the sales figures already.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pleaaaaaaaase let this usher in an era where JP devs finally see the PC as a viable target platform. How many more wild success stories do we need to hear? I
even western devs dont use pc as a target platform. there are things you could do on mid range hardware (i5 +1060 while staying at 60fps) that you cant do on consoles even at 30fps.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, so they definitely hit the 10 mill mark by now. Major props. I remember when people said a late PC release would plummet sales, but seems as if that's not remotely accurate.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
People attacking posters for rational sales analysis will never not be embarrassing.
I see what you tried to do there. I suppose you're implying that concern about the future of the franchise is valid given the success of MHW, yes? You must agree that interest in the franchise is going to decline, as evidenced by the strong launches of the console and PC releases. That investors are shook and dumping capcom stock after the tremendous success of MHW. Because that's what I'm mocking, and that's apparently what you're defending as rational sales analysis.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see what you tried to do there. I suppose you're implying that concern about the future of the franchise is valid given the success of MHW, yes?
People are free to show their concern, but you have a history of attacking groups in defense of the game all while you try to act above this kind of flaming. It's hypocrisy.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So WeGame had 1m preorders (as of July 22nd) and Steam is 2-5m.

I wasn't expecting it to reach console sale levels, But here we are I guess. Isn't SteamSpy usually a few days behind with estimates?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
People are free to show their concern, but you have a history of attacking groups in defense of the game all while you try to act above this kind of flaming. It's hypocrisy.
I don't think I've ever pretended to be above arguing against disingenuous or poorly-conceived positions.

I'd be a hypocrite if I argued against, say, the position that Capcom has somewhat missed the boat/biggest draw of GAAS by not monetizing cosmetic content and keeping steady updates flowing, both of which could maximize revenue and potentially keep sales momentum. That by releasing the PC port late they may have limited the ceiling they could have on that platform. But I'm not arguing against rational positions. I'm arguing against the position that the same amount of sales over a longer period is somehow better for anyone. Or the position that Capcom and their investors are shook because the legs mean MHW is underperforming and therefore a disappointment. So I think I'm good.
So WeGame had 1m preorders (as of July 22nd) and Steam is 2-5m.

I wasn't expecting it to reach console sale levels, But here we are I guess.
Those WeGame numbers are based on registrations IIRC that required no money down, so I wouldn't use those as any indication of sales in China, just as a point of general interest.

Last edited:

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Absolute great numbers. I am really enjoying the game and I am excited to see more content come in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom always releases sales figures

lol what are you talking about

Successful results like that warrant an announcement. Publishers release figures like MHW sold Y amount of copies in 24 hours on Steam, or MHW is the fastest selling game on Steam with Y amount of copies sold.

Not some kind of platinum website update 1 year from now, or the financial call.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever pretended to be above arguing against disingenuous or poorly-conceived positions.

I'd be a hypocrite if I argued against, say, the position that Capcom has somewhat missed the boat/biggest draw of GAAS by not monetizing cosmetic content and keeping steady updates flowing, both of which could maximize revenue and potentially keep sales momentum. That by releasing the PC port late they may have limited the ceiling they could have on that platform. But I'm not arguing against rational positions. I'm arguing against the position that the same amount of sales over a longer period is somehow better for anyone. Or the position that Capcom and their investors are shook because the legs mean MHW is underperforming and therefore a disappointment. So I think I'm good.
Yet you seem to be under the impression that people who are concerned and have tried to discuss Capcom financials or MHW that they actually want the game (or even the company) to fail. That's irrational, and there's a reason people have called you out before in how you discuss these things and you're warrior like defense.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, in the future Capcom can go to PC+Consoles => MHW (higher budget gaas games) and Switch + Mobile => MH Ultimate (lower budget in line with the upres or higher games) for that maximum money print.

I would love to double dip on PC but i'm still waiting for my friends to jump.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017

Why would someone even make this image?

The PS4/X1 version is at 90. Not that 89 is low or anything.

Really confused about the point of this pic.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here lol by your own admission it's not like MHW has a 6. The console version has a 90 on Metacritic as well. This picture doesn't really make much sense.

It is a mock on Capcom favoring Critics reviews over sales

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yet you seem to be under the impression that people who are concerned and have tried to discuss Capcom financials or MHW that they actually want the game (or even the company) to fail. That's irrational, and there's a reason people have called you out before in how you discuss these things and you're warrior like defense.
We can take this to PMs if you want me to send you a list of the folks I'm mocking. The volume of posts I've made on this topic is consistent with the volume of shit that clogs up every MH thread. I've been pretty clear about the kind of posts I'm calling out. Let me know when I start calling out rational and well defended positions on the subject. This conversation has run its course in this thread and I don't want to continue this derail here. See you in the next MH thread where someone does what I've called out here.
Nice, in the future Capcom can go to PC+Consoles => MHW (higher budget gaas games) and Switch + Mobile => MH Ultimate (lower budget in line with the upres or higher games) for that maximum money print.

I would love to double dip on PC but i'm still waiting for my friends to jump.
That would be a great outcome. Everyone should get to enjoy MH. Though I don't think Switch would necessarily be limited to lower budget games following the higher end releases. The Switch seems like a great place to experiment with different experiences and formula tweaks (potential interesting multiplayer options or things that take advantage of the controls) alongside traditional releases (that could eventually arrive day and date with the higher end releases with pared down features/visuals). I'm definitely excited to play MHGen later this month when I've burned through MHW's content.

Last edited:

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
He's skeptical for good reason the thread made about Capcom stock, the OP admitted he didn't make it in good faith. People made disingenuous arguments about sequel not selling as well due to first selling because of novelty. Pointing to the lack of Legs in specific regions even though it had sold nearly twice the previous installments and it was there most profitable ever according to insiders like Benji. Is that a reason for concern? Please provide of the bolded.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It is a mock on Capcom favoring Critics reviews over sales

I get what you were trying to do, not sure it works seeing as MHW is sitting at 90 on Metacritic in the universal acclaim category.

90 Vs 93 is very different to 60 Vs 93 . No biggy though. Just thought it was a really odd way to mock what they said. Resident Evil 6 on the other hand...

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's skeptical for good reason the thread made about Capcom stock, the OP admitted he didn't make it in good faith. People made disingenuous arguments about sequel not selling as well due to first selling because of novelty. Pointing to the lack of Legs in specific regions even though it had sold nearly twice the previous installments and it was there most profitable ever according to insiders like Benji. Is that a reason for concern? Please provide of the bolded.
Yes, the stock thread was terrible, and plenty still ignored reasonable posts and no one could have any sort of discussion. Then you have the recent quarterly thread where people tried to discuss financials there too, and posters dismissing others. Heck that thread was such a fanboy warrior thread, you had posters doing stupid meme images to dismiss any discussion. And you had those complaining specifically about Nintendo gamers as the only ones who are showing any concern, much like Night Angel is doing here as a way to entirely dismiss all concerns.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
With the amount of concern discussion MHW get, compared to its actual performance as the best(launch aligned) selling non first party Japanese game ever. It's easy to paint that as concern trolling.

Last edited:

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I get what you were trying to do, not sure it works seeing as MHW is sitting at 90 on Metacritic in the universal acclaim category.

90 Vs 93 is very different to 60 Vs 93 . No biggy though. Just thought it was a really odd way to mock what they said. Resident Evil 6 on the other hand...

Exactly. 90 meta is universally acclaimed territory and MHW is both critically and commercially successful.

No matter, now it's the waiting game for that 10m units sold report.