xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Im thinking of getting one to play Alyx and then selling it again to get a Quest once the 64 GB version is back in stock for a good price. The used price is basically holding 1:1 if not better so it's not really risky it seems.

Oct 28, 2017
sNBKdp8.png

So I tried putting in an order for the Index controllers, it gave me an error message, never went to check out or anything, then I refreshed and it just applied the order to my account? Really hope nothing got messed up and they'll reach out to me for payment.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
So seems there's a new HMD being tracked in Steam Stats, currently marked as "unknown", could be they're starting to track Quest+Link?

84yF1Dp.png

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I have been considering getting an Index for a while; since I haven't really had the chance to try any "serious" VR headset so far, would my reaction to Cardboard VR be any indication of my reaction to true VR? In terms of nausea/vertigo and similar.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I have been considering getting an Index for a while; since I haven't really had the chance to try any "serious" VR headset so far, would my reaction to Cardboard VR be any indication of my reaction to true VR? In terms of nausea/vertigo and similar.

I'd say you wouldn't get an accurate indication of anything comparing Google Cardboard with any PCVR headset, let alone the top end Index.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'd say you wouldn't get an accurate indication of anything comparing Google Cardboard with any PCVR headset, let alone the top end Index.
That's what I thought. I wasn't planning on getting it right away (besides the obvious situation, it's also sold out); maybe once everything get back to normal I'll see if there's any place around where I can try it out before actually buying it.
The fact that in general I'm pretty "good" with that kind of thing makes me pretty confident, but I'd like to be sure first.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
So they've now added the Quest to the Steam Stats, plus a few other headsets, even PSVR:

5Cdyxi6.png

Edit: interestingly the total amount of connected headsets (compared to overall Steam population) went down 0.77%, wonder what caused that. Would require quite a big surge in total steam user population.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So they've now added the Quest to the Steam Stats, plus a few other headsets, even PSVR:

5Cdyxi6.png

Edit: interestingly the total amount of connected headsets (compared to overall Steam population) went down 0.77%, wonder what caused that. Would require quite a big surge in total steam user population.
Well... you have seen the lockdown right?
Also I guess they took away Other from the Total? So in this case the decrease would only be of 0.22 (0.77-0.55)

Really interested what the hell "Other" is now.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Well... you have seen the lockdown right?
Also I guess they took away Other from the Total? So in this case the decrease would only be of 0.22 (0.77-0.55)

Really interested what the hell "Other" is now.
I can see the lockdowns having an affect on the daily active users, but not overall users. Like sudden influx of new users on Steam, not to that extent. Then again, I read it as a total decrees to 1%, didn't consider "other" being in addition to the 1%.

Yeah, question is what "other" is, I don't think there are any big (or many small for that matter) HMD's missing from that list that would have that large of an impact.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the lockdowns having an affect on the daily active users, but not overall users. Like sudden influx of new users on Steam, not to that extent.

Yeah, question is what "other" is, I don't think there are any big (or many small for that matter) HMD's missing from that list that would have that large of an impact.

Survey is presented to active users though. (first time you start Steam after one year has passed from last survey or so). So in theory it could have effect :P

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the lockdowns having an affect on the daily active users, but not overall users. Like sudden influx of new users on Steam, not to that extent. Then again, I read it as a total decrees to 1%, didn't consider "other" being in addition to the 1%.

As Madjoki says, survey is based on people accepting it (so mainly Active users). We already saw a "decrease" when China was in lockdown due to Chinese players being less likely to have a VR headset.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Still surprised about the low numbers for Quest. Guess most people just dont connect it to PC with the Link.
could be it doesn't detect quest unless actually connected when the survey runs as well. Has been an issue before for instance not detecting my Vive when I've run the survey and not had it on/connected (Wireless so it's always disconnected when not in use).

Edit: apparently that part has been fixed for me at least, just did a quick system information check in Steam and it detected my disconnected Vive.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Still surprised about the low numbers for Quest. Guess most people just dont connect it to PC with the Link.
I think that's likely a combination of the spotty unavailability of the link wire (or working alternative) over time along with the fact that a relatively large percentage of Quest owners probably don't have a decent gaming PC (thus why they chose a Quest over a Rift).

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering which VR headset on the market today has the highest resolution?

Similarly, which VR system is considered the "best" (if there is such a thing).

Highest resolution in order to my knowledge:
(Maybe The StarVR headset which was just announced?)
Pimax 8KX (4K per screen)
HP Reverb

Best all around:
Valve Index.

My understanding is Pimax can be fairly janky (others have had hands on impressions and might have better insight.) StarVR headset is not considered a real "consumer" option due to $3k(+?) price tag.

Index is generally highest quality and most versatile, though it of course has its own downsides as well.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Highest resolution in order to my knowledge:
(Maybe The StarVR headset which was just announced?)
Pimax 8KX (4K per screen)
HP Reverb

Best all around:
Valve Index.

My understanding is Pimax can be fairly janky (others have had hands on impressions and might have better insight.) StarVR headset is not considered a real "consumer" option due to $3k(+?) price tag.

Index is generally highest quality and most versatile, though it of course has its own downsides as well.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
question for Vive Wireless users, how have you positioned your WiGig- emitter? The cord for it is rather short, so can't really have it any other place than above my computer screen, getting this annoying thing that if I have my back against the screen and emitter, and bend down to pick something up, I get pixelation/drop-out at times. annoying as fuck, and not sure how to fix it with positioning.
So would love to hear others input on how they handle positioning and occlusion.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a thread on ResetEra where I can advertise a VR game key for sale? I have Pistol Whip Steam key if anyone's interested.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo this is interesting. It involves VNN and a "Valve source" and is an excerpt from a chat log transcript on Pastebin so I'm not going to make a thread about it....BUT I still find it interesting. Essentially the source claims Alan Yates (who works at Valve) is the main reason why the Oculus SDK is incompatible with SteamVR headsets.

1. Our goal was to establish a unified VR consortium with Oculus and anyone else who would like to join. We wanted to create standards that would allow every PC headset to be used across every PC VR platform, be it SteamVR, Oculus Home or other platforms by members of the consortium.
  2. Oculus has done some questionable shit but I have to defend them on this one. They were open to the idea of allowing Vive on the Oculus platform but they wanted native support of the Oculus SDK and all it's features. Yates still refuses to allow Oculus access to the Vive source even though HTC and almost everyone on the VR group are on board. We have the full source code of fairly recent Oculus Runtime builds, yet he refuses to do the same. Basically everything is a democratic process at Valve and the groups as a collective get to decide but he's a relic from the early 2012 days of Steam VR and some of the required pieces are under his sole ownership. There's a person here specifically to overthrow people like him in situations like these but we have no leverage against him. We can't sign off on his property.
  3. We're now in a situation where Oculus Rift + Touch can run the entire SteamVR library at roughly the same price while Vive can only be used with Steam. It's in our best interest to lure people over to Steam but we don't want to restrict what people can do with our licensed hardware. Yates seems to enjoy the fact that Oculus got all the heat for this.

This actually gels with an excerpt from the book The History of the Future...
For Luckey, the best way he and Oculus could do better going forward was by finally figuring out a way to get Oculus' platform onto the HTC Vive. And though this was something he had been very passionate about for a long time, the idea really started to gain traction earlier that month; at an "H2 Goal-Setting Session" where Luckey and Rubin—by virtue of using nearly all their "votes" to push the Vive issue for discussion—were able to start getting serious buy-in on the issue.
By the end of that session, even Iribe appeared convinced. So much so that he'd end the day by saying, "I think we should bring the Oculus Platform to Vive. It's The Right Thing To Do for PC VR and Oculus (as John would say)."
The following day, Rubin upped the ante by suggesting that they make this happen in time for Oculus' third annual developer conference (OC3) to be held that year in October. "In a perfect world at OC3 we would announce . . . full Vive support for the whole store," Rubin wrote; though he caveated that "The Devil is in the details of how we do this mechanically without supporting OpenVR and Steam."
That, in many ways, was what this would all come down to. And Luckey—now grinning at the opportunity—was ready to take on this challenge.

...and a comment Palmer Luckey made on Reddit around the launch of the Rift about wanting to support other headsets on the store.

Probably a lot more complicated than this lays out and a lot of other details to consider, but interesting to me nonetheless.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Sooooo this is interesting. It involves VNN and a "Valve source" and is an excerpt from a chat log transcript on Pastebin so I'm not going to make a thread about it....BUT I still find it interesting. Essentially the source claims Alan Yates (who works at Valve) is the main reason why the Oculus SDK is incompatible with SteamVR headsets.

...and a comment Palmer Luckey made on Reddit around the launch of the Rift about wanting to support other headsets on the store.

Probably a lot more complicated than this lays out and a lot of other details to consider, but interesting to me nonetheless.
Whelp. That's not a good look on Valve and Yates more specifically.
I hope differences can be overcome.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly I can't even take the vnn info at face value. You have so many stakeholders in this process , whose to say there weren't obstacles on both ends of the spectrum? Really have nothing but disdain for Tyler and his "reports"

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

The pastebin also talks about Valve thinking about making a switch exclusive for less than 1 million dollars. I would put the entire conversation in a "likely to be fake".

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
The pastebin also talks about Valve thinking about making a switch exclusive for less than 1 million dollars. I would put the entire conversation in a "likely to be fake".
Level 1: "It's too ridiculous to be true."
Level 2: "It's too intentionally self-discrediting to be fake."
Level 3: "Which is why it actually is fake."

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Level 1: "It's too ridiculous to be true."
Level 2: "It's too intentionally self-discrediting to be fake."
Level 3: "Which is why it actually is fake."
Don't get me wrong, I could see both the guy still being salty about Oculus after what they did (although the whole thing in the Palmer quote also sounds kinda meh as they also dont directly allow any other VR headsets such as Microsofts and OpenVR is well Open), and Valve making a switch game coexclusive with PC.
But for less than 1 million dollars? Valve, known not to move except for big ass money, making a game exclusive for less than 1 million?
There is also the part of game budget when the leaker said 200k would be enough to make a game. It is very likely that would barely cover the salary of 3 valve devs in a year, without counting for anything else.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I keep thinking of the Austin Powers "One million dollars!" line.

Except it wasn't even one million dollars. LOL

I have no doubt Tyler thinks he was talking to a Valve employee, but that whole thing is such a ridiculous read that I can only believe he was being scammed by some loser pretending to be associated with Valve. Either that, or some child of a Valve employee.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, having read more of it now, it's definitely an interview from years ago and there are some things they claim they'd be revealing soon-ish that still haven't been (3D printed figurines for example). Granted, easy to write off as Valve being Valve, but still suspect. Also for someone trying to stay anonymous, they sure do give a lot of specific info about the areas they work in and were hired for (or maybe they thought the whole chat wouldn't actually be posted?). So yeah, even bigger grain of salt than before.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, having read more of it now, it's definitely an interview from years ago and there are some things they claim they'd be revealing soon-ish that still haven't been (3D printed figurines for example). Granted, easy to write off as Valve being Valve, but still suspect. Also for someone trying to stay anonymous, they sure do give a lot of specific info about the areas they work in and were hired for (or maybe they thought the whole chat wouldn't actually be posted?). So yeah, even bigger grain of salt than before.
I mean this part:

[10/25/2016 9:36:35 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: it has to be half life focused and canon if we want 300k and 80% of sales
[10/25/2016 9:36:52 PM] Tyler McVicker: Yes I know
[10/25/2016 9:36:58 PM] Tyler McVicker: What are people saying?
[10/25/2016 9:37:00 PM] Tyler McVicker: In the room
[10/25/2016 9:37:08 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: 300k is a buttload for a game of this kind. we can go all out with voice acting and performance capture
[10/25/2016 9:37:20 PM] Tyler McVicker: Exactly
[10/25/2016 9:37:39 PM] Tyler McVicker: It would sell uits like crazy and really build the relationship with Nitnendo, which is great
[10/25/2016 9:38:34 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: that's a higher budget than star craft 2 had
[10/25/2016 9:39:11 PM] Cephalon Cephalon: sc2 is rumored to be around 200k for the main game

Really sounds like somebody who has no idea of game development. 300k is not a buttload for any type of game and Starcraft 2 budget is well over that.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I mean this part:

Really sounds like somebody who has no idea of game development. 300k is not a buttload for any type of game and Starcraft 2 budget is well over that.

Or money at all. That's why I wonder if some kid wasn't using his parent's ID to fool VNN into thinking it was an actual Valve employee. The whole exchange is just cringeworthy IMO.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So I got myself an Index.

Started playing Alyx and noticed that the right controller sometimes drops out in the exact same space where the left one still has perfect tracking. No idea how that happens and if there's a way to test, if I was just unlucky with the controller and have to send it back or if there's something else going on.

Also the lighthouses are kind of loud - I guess that's normal though and not that important since you don't hear them anymore once there's sound.

I'm on a 2060 Super setup and chose 120hz - no idea if I should go for 90hz and up the rendering resolution?
I feel like I have a lot of shimmering going on in the game. Later this year I might want to upgrade to the 3000 series (probably also 60).
Do any of you with an Index and a better setup know if better supersampling really helps a lot with the image quality in the headset?

I also feel like I have a little bit of ghosting going on when there's bright lights or text but that could also be my left eye being around +.75.

Otherwise it is incredibly impressive. The sound especially! Not having to wear something in your ears or directly covering it really puts you into a place. And the Index Controllers are also something to behold. Very impressive tech.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017

Started playing Alyx and noticed that the right controller sometimes drops out in the exact same space where the left one still has perfect tracking. No idea how that happens and if there's a way to test, if I was just unlucky with the controller and have to send it back or if there's something else going on.
losing tracking with the controllers in the same space sounds like occlusion issues, the tracking points aren't really oriented the same so could be left one gets tracking and the right one has occlusion.

There used to be a Steam Workshop lighthouse replace that would visualize the tracking space for each of the lighthouses, can't recall the name though.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Also the lighthouses are kind of loud - I guess that's normal though and not that important since you don't hear them anymore once there's sound.

I'm on a 2060 Super setup and chose 120hz - no idea if I should go for 90hz and up the rendering resolution?
I feel like I have a lot of shimmering going on in the game. Later this year I might want to upgrade to the 3000 series (probably also 60).
Do any of you with an Index and a better setup know if better supersampling really helps a lot with the image quality in the headset?

I also feel like I have a little bit of ghosting going on when there's bright lights or text but that could also be my left eye being around +.75.

Otherwise it is incredibly impressive. The sound especially! Not having to wear something in your ears or directly covering it really puts you into a place. And the Index Controllers are also something to behold. Very impressive tech.

I associate the word shimmering with aliasing. If that's what you're talking about, yes, super-sampling usually helps. Something like forward rendering benefits a TON from super sampling. Deferred renderers can sometimes use a post process AA that almost completely negates the benefits of super-sampling (unless you crank to insane resolutions no GPU could ever run at).

Our heads are never completely still, so any aliasing at all will appear to crawl in VR. It's why super-sampling is so effective with VR. Really have to experiment for yourself to see which of your games are running on engines that will benefit from it.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
losing tracking with the controllers in the same space sounds like occlusion issues, the tracking points aren't really oriented the same so could be left one gets tracking and the right one has occlusion.

There used to be a Steam Workshop lighthouse replace that would visualize the tracking space for each of the lighthouses, can't recall the name though.

That sounds interesting - so you think an adjustment of the lighthouses could in theory be enough?

I'm thinking about buying two poles to set them up when I want to play in pretty much the perfect positions.
Because of how my room is set up, one is right now at shoulder height and I don't wanna drill them into the wall to put it up any higher or have the cables always flap around.

Originally the plan was to play through Alyx and then sell the Index again to buy a Quest once that is back in stock.
But I'm not sure if I can let go of these controllers again.

I associate the word shimmering with aliasing. If that's what you're talking about, yes, super-sampling usually helps. Something like forward rendering benefits a TON from super sampling. Deferred renderers can sometimes use a post process AA that almost completely negates the benefits of super-sampling (unless you crank to insane resolutions no GPU could ever run at).

Our heads are never completely still, so any aliasing at all will appear to crawl in VR. It's why super-sampling is so effective with VR. Really have to experiment for yourself to see which of your games are running on engines that will benefit from it.

Yep, that's what I meant - aliasing.
So the more super sampling, the better - I just tried the Lab and it looks a lot cleaner by default.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds interesting - so you think an adjustment of the lighthouses could in theory be enough?

I'm thinking about buying two poles to set them up when I want to play in pretty much the perfect positions.
Because of how my room is set up, one is right now at shoulder height and I don't wanna drill them into the wall to put it up any higher or have the cables always flap around.

Originally the plan was to play through Alyx and then sell the Index again to buy a Quest once that is back in stock.

Yep, that's what I meant - aliasing.
So the more super sampling, the better - I just tried the Lab and it looks a lot cleaner by default.

Generally. Yeah. Although, as I said, games that run on a deffered renderer benefit a lot less. So you really need to experiment on a per game basis. Steam also allows you to super sample on a per game basis (buried in the settings).

The Lab is an interesting case. It's mostly made in Unity (which is definitely running on a forward rendering engine here). But it also dynamically scales the resolution in-game. So if your CPU/GPU can handle more, the game itself will dynamically super sample higher on the fly.

EDIT: I'd just like to point out the obvious: Super sampling is very expensive. So it's a dancing act between image quality and maintaining framerate (because drops are terrible in VR). So ideally you want to super sample as much as you can without dropping any frames (at your given refresh rate). Which is why the per game super sampling is such a handy option to utilize.

Last edited:

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017

Absolutely, the lighthouses are supposed to be positioned high up and tilted down some to get the best tracking space, and least occlusion. Test it out if you can.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Absolutely, the lighthouses are supposed to be positioned high up and tilted down some to get the best tracking space, and least occlusion. Test it out if you can.

You know what - poles bought. This was gonna be an expensive set up from the get go, might as well invest a little bit more into making it comfortable.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard this a lot in the past year. Is it just a base station 2.0 thing (question isn't really aimed at you but others)? I have the 1.0 ones and leave them on all the time and can't hear them at all.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard this a lot in the past year. Is it just a base station 2.0 thing (question isn't really aimed at you but others)? I have the 1.0 ones and leave them on all the time and can't hear them at all.
I have 2.0 and I don't hear them when they are on, I did however when I first installed them. It was the mounting vibrating against the wall, I loosened the screw a tad bit that held the mount to the wall and the noise went away.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I have 2.0 and I don't hear them when they are on, I did however when I first installed them. It was the mounting vibrating against the wall, I loosened the screw a tad bit that held the mount to the wall and the noise went away.
Weird. I wonder if it's the way I mounted them then. They're on camera clamps attached to floor-to-ceiling poles. The clamp is relatively loose and kind of hangs on the pole more than tightly clamped to it so that would be in line with your situation.