• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. I wonder if it's the way I mounted them then. They're on camera clamps attached to floor-to-ceiling poles. The clamp is relatively loose and kind of hangs on the pole more than tightly clamped to it so that would be in line with your situation.
Yeah I just experimented by pushing and pulling on the mount to see if the sound changed. I expected it to be the opposite, tighten it, but it ended up just loosening it a little did the trick. Also check the twist mount that attaches to the lighthouse, I had to adjust one of those as well. They give off a hum if close but they are not loud for me.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Was just playing Moss (beautiful and serene game) and was thinking - has VR been incorporated into any emulators? Especially the 3DS one?
I guess there's a lot of diorama style games that would work beautifully in VR, for example Mario 3D Land.

Geedorah

Oct 27, 2017
Was just playing Moss (beautiful and serene game) and was thinking - has VR been incorporated into any emulators? Especially the 3DS one?
I guess there's a lot of diorama style games that would work beautifully in VR, for example Mario 3D Land.

There is VR support for Dolphin iirc. I played some of Metroid, Mario Galaxy, and Double Dash. Was really cool. Some games worked better than others of course.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Get dolphin VR Asap, its works so well and not hard to set up. Playing smash bros in VR was so fucking cool a major step up from the switch VR version

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

If you don't want to deal with the hassles of the very old and outdated Dolphin version, Citra and Dolphin both support SBS 3D output. Playing them on a large virtual screen, in 3D, is still really fantastic.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There is VR support for Dolphin iirc. I played some of Metroid, Mario Galaxy, and Double Dash. Was really cool. Some games worked better than others of course.
Get dolphin VR Asap, its works so well and not hard to set up. Playing smash bros in VR was so fucking cool a major step down from the switch VR version
If you don't want to deal with the hassles of the very old and outdated Dolphin version, Citra and Dolphin both support SBS 3D output. Playing them on a large virtual screen, in 3D, is still really fantastic.

Thanks, I'm gonna have look :)

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
So after about 3 weeks with Index, the reliability seems kinda weak for such an expensive device.

1. The HMD audio (the headset speakers) vanish from sound settings when the device powers down and when you turn it on it does not show up under sound settings so there is no audio. I found a fix on reddit that said to open device manager and have it scan for hardware changes when you have the headset powered on and active and this makes the headset speakers HMD audio show up. But I have to run device manager every time I use the Index now.

2. Today for the first time in 3 weeks my left controller kept losing tracking. I was playing Beat Saber and occassionally the hand would just go flying everywhere in the air. Then I played Alyx and my left hand every few minutes would just vanish or be on the floor. If I was holding something it would suddenly drop to the floor and I wouldn't be able to move.

I turned the Index off and plugged it in (it was already at 4/5th charge) and will reset the computer and hopefully that fixes it. The first thing is annoying and adds an extra minute or two every time I power on the device, but the second is a problem and I'd have to return it if it doesn't fix itself.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
So after about 3 weeks with Index, the reliability seems kinda weak for such an expensive device.

1. The HMD audio (the headset speakers) vanish from sound settings when the device powers down and when you turn it on it does not show up under sound settings so there is no audio. I found a fix on reddit that said to open device manager and have it scan for hardware changes when you have the headset powered on and active and this makes the headset speakers HMD audio show up. But I have to run device manager every time I use the Index now.

2. Today for the first time in 3 weeks my left controller kept losing tracking. I was playing Beat Saber and occassionally the hand would just go flying everywhere in the air. Then I played Alyx and my left hand every few minutes would just vanish or be on the floor. If I was holding something it would suddenly drop to the floor and I wouldn't be able to move.

I turned the Index off and plugged it in (it was already at 4/5th charge) and will reset the computer and hopefully that fixes it. The first thing is annoying and adds an extra minute or two every time I power on the device, but the second is a problem and I'd have to return it if it doesn't fix itself.
Have you run the firmware updates for the headset? For number 1, that was an early issue that was resolved for the most part, the only time I have that happen is when I have been VPN into my computer messes up my sound for some reason, I just use desktop view and restart the headset, fixes it most of the time.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Have you run the firmware updates for the headset? For number 1, that was an early issue that was resolved for the most part, the only time I have that happen is when I have been VPN into my computer messes up my sound for some reason, I just use desktop view and restart the headset, fixes it most of the time.

I updated everything when I first got it a few weeks ago. Unless there's a new update in the last 2 weeks everything should be up to date.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I just plug the headset in when I want to use it, otherwise I just have the safety plug in my PC. Pretty convenient so far and so far no issues with my monitors either which was a problem when I booted with the headset plugged in.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I haven't spent too much time with the Index yet, but I don't know if VR is for me yet. Felt like I had too much trouble trying to keep anything in focus, resolution didn't seem as clear as I hoped, and the finger tracking was good, but I guess not as good as I imagined.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

For number one, do you ever open the sound settings and have Windows "do a fix"? Even with other headsets, Windows can be real annoying with not getting the sound devices right. Sometime a "Fix" will find missing devices for you.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I believe that #1 is an Nvidia driver but where it's putting the sound device associated with the HDMI port to sleep due to power savings.

Oct 29, 2017
I just plug the headset in when I want to use it, otherwise I just have the safety plug in my PC. Pretty convenient so far and so far no issues with my monitors either which was a problem when I booted with the headset plugged in.
If by "safety plug" you mean the breakaway cable, don't do this. It's not meant to be plugged and unplugged every time, and has a very low avg. amount of uses before it degrades and stops working correctly (IIRC it's around 50~150). Highly recommend unplugging the USB, Displayport and power every time you're done using the headset.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Did a full reset of everything and it fixed the tracking issue that started today on my left controller. Also seems like the audio is working too.

Though on the controller maybe just doing a reset would've done the trick. Will try that again if it starts to lose tracking.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If by "safety plug" you mean the breakaway cable, don't do this. It's not meant to be plugged and unplugged every time, and has a very low avg. amount of uses before it degrades and stops working correctly (IIRC it's around 50~150). Highly recommend unplugging the USB, Displayport and power every time you're done using the headset.

What the fuck! Why would it be designed like that? for me having the cable be stowed away behind the desk and only have one point of connection made a lot more sense than connecting everything again every time I wanna side the headset.

Thank you so much for that piece of information - I guess I'm at 10 plugs at least by now so that would have gone wrong fast.

Is the same true for the power breakaway?

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL

I've been unplugging via the breakaway point for the past month as well. Good to know I guess. Although it's unfortunate that'll add another couple of seconds to setting up a play session.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL

About 1. Another thing that works for some is to engage and disengage audio mirroring in the SteamVR settings when this happens. This should cause the PC to initialize the Index's audio output device again.

My current issue with the Index is that whenever I plug it in, the sound is not working at all. If I test the output device in the sound control panel I get an unmarked error. I then have to run the Windows audio troubleshooter every time I want to play VR to get my PC to actually switch audio output and input over to the Index. I'm pretty sure this is not due to the index by itself, because lately I have also been forced to manually switch audio devices in Discord as well. Oftenly when I leave Discord set to using the 'default' devices, I get no sound through my headset. I'm not sure why my PC won't switch audio devices automatically as easy any more.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
What happens if you just pull the power cable for the HMD (or better yet, just flip a switch on a surge protector)? Does leaving the rest connected cause any issues? I do not want the thing running 24/7, but I'm also not pulling all those cords when not in use.

After backing out of my launch order, I signed back up when they re-opened orders in March (HMD only). Despite it being almost 2 months, I've been stuck at 5 - 7 weeks (estimate) forever.

I'm trying to talk myself into purchasing one, but I've got a lot of things against it TBH. Build quality being one of them. I find it interesting that RMAs were taking a huge amount of time before that March resupply. Part of me thinks orders have slowed to a crawl because they've diverted this new stock to fixing all the defective stuff they had backlogged. RMA turnarounds are quick at the moment.

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017

For #1, fully uninstall and remove the headset from Steam and reinstall. I had to reinstall for another issue I had, but it seemed to work for the sound issue.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
What happens if you just pull the power cable for the HMD (or better yet, just flip a switch on a surge protector)? Does leaving the rest connected cause any issues? I do not want the thing running 24/7, but I'm also not pulling all those cords when not in use.

After backing out of my launch order, I signed back up when they re-opened orders in March (HMD only). Despite it being almost 2 months, I've been stuck at 5 - 7 weeks (estimate) forever.

I'm trying to talk myself into purchasing one, but I've got a lot of things against it TBH. Build quality being one of them. I find it interesting that RMAs were taking a huge amount of time before that March resupply. Part of me thinks orders have slowed to a crawl because they've diverted this new stock to fixing all the defective stuff they had backlogged. RMA turnarounds are quick at the moment.
Since day 1 I just unplug the power cable from the Tri Cable side after I am done and leave everything else hooked up. Haven't had any issues, I just didn't want the headset to be powered on 24/7.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Since day 1 I just unplug the power cable from the Tri Cable side after I am done and leave everything else hooked up. Haven't had any issues, I just didn't want the headset to be powered on 24/7.

Good to know. I figured as much, but I just wanted to make sure there was nothing special about how Index handled this.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Is this undoubtedly 100% true? 50 times? That's madness. I was unpluggin this cable because it was convenient for me in my current setup (PC under a TV cabinet) so I'm glad I read this!

About 1. Another thing that works for some is to engage and disengage audio mirroring in the SteamVR settings when this happens. This should cause the PC to initialize the Index's audio output device again.
That sound bug is infuriating. I forced the dedection of index audio device by opening "Sound Control Panel" window. I also suspect that nvidia is partially to blame for this. I remember that I once stopped having the issue out of the blue (possibly after driver update) and then it came back.

Oct 29, 2017
Is this undoubtedly 100% true? 50 times? That's madness. I was unpluggin this cable because it was convenient for me in my current setup (PC under a TV cabinet) so I'm glad I read this!
If you search for "valve index breakaway cable" you should see a few reddit threads about its durability. It's nothing conclusive but quite a few people have had to issue RMAs because of it. I think valve's breakaway connector is very similar to the OCuLink which has a "minimum of 50 mating cycles" according to its specifications.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If you search for "valve index breakaway cable" you should see a few reddit threads about its durability. It's nothing conclusive but quite a few people have had to issue RMAs because of it. I think valve's breakaway connector is very similar to the OCuLink which has a "minimum of 50 mating cycles" according to its specifications.

That seems to be the general consensus. I've been paying attention ever since it was brought up in this thread.

Worst of all, it seems like this thing only existed because of their abandoned VirtualLInk support? That's what I read anyways. I read a couple posts on Reddit where people broke the thing plugging it in on their first time (after receiving it).

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wait wait wait the fuck.
Pretty much THE only way to consistently untangle my cables is to disconnect it, untangle, then reconnect.
Ffffffucking hell.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not finding many (any) uses for the index controllers I got. Sucks for me, all the games i wanted to use them for don't really work with it.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
wait wait wait the fuck.
Pretty much THE only way to consistently untangle my cables is to disconnect it, untangle, then reconnect.
Ffffffucking hell.

I"m still on the waitlist, but that's exactly how I untangle my Vive cord. Disconnect it from the breakout box, and just run my fingers over the cord to untangle it.

If a lapse on my order again, it's going to be because the build quality seems absolutely abysmal on this thing. Like "Valve has no idea what they're doing" bad. Even the way they bend the exit cord just triggers me. It's like a 2 year old found a cable and went nuts bending it. Completely unacceptable IMO.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I have a few questions that I'm abit confused about

1. How do I select a steam app from steam vr home, all I can see is recent apps?
  2. Can you use full analog movement in the home or it it teleport only
  3. Sometimes if I lean too far forward the screen starts fading yellow any of ye know what this could be maybe the tracking gets thrown off?
  4. Is there any inbuilt internet browser Incase I get stuck at a puzzle in a game?

Oct 29, 2017
The Oculink theory is not true, that adaptor is designed for soldering to boards and has a durability of 50 uses. The breakaway cable is much much more durable than that. If it wasn't, it would've been mentioned in the manual.
The images linked in the thread of the cable version of the OCuLink also seem to show a 50 mating cycle minimum. I'm not going to claim that the cable valve uses is the exact same, but based on impressions from Index owners the beakaway connector is one of the weak points of the headset. You don't have to be super careful with it, it's just a precaution for those who absolutely can't or don't want to risk having to RMA their headset.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
My March 10th (HMD only) order finally came up. Guess I'm going through with it this time.

I put on my Vive to make sure my base stations were working, and man, do I hate that thing. I generally use a heavily modded Quest and within 2 minutes, the Vive was making me sweat like a pig. So I did some of the mods I did to my Quest (counterweights and getting rid of the face foam so only the forehead was making contact with it. Not having that suffocating seal around the face cooled it considerably.

I saw someone on Reddit did this with the Index and mentioned it cooled it considerably. So I guess I'll be doing this too. Index is considered even hotter than the Vive. Oh, and man, I forgot how much those Vive wands suck. Trackpads can suck it.

Probably wouldn't have even went through with my order, but to my horror, I tested a game I'm working on and it was completely broken on the Vive (I've been using the Quest exclusively since it's so comfortable and cool with my mods). I didn't realize that SteamVR automatically overrid the physics update rates with Unity. So my forces were useless. Now I get why the Climbey developer was talking about different refresh rates influencing how far you could fly.

I pretty much need an Index, now, to make sure I can come up with a solution that actually works at all the refresh rates.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So my Index arrived today. Seems like the cable is totally busted. I've tried resetting everything. Computer. Breakaway cable. The cable going into the HMD.

Constant "you're HMD has disconnected" messages. And even when I can get a signal, it's filled with tons of green and red sparkles. The speakers are also popping like mad and keeps telling me it needs to update the wireless receiver. Which probably explains why it can't recognize my Vive wands either. I'm guessing the USB cable is also messed up.

Whoever designed that cable system is a half-wit. I can't believe the cable is bent to shit every time you tilt the actual HMD up/down. The fuck? I knew it looked bent to fuck in pictures, but I didn't realize it was actively bent every time you adjusted the tilt on it.

Looking at the Steam Home with it seemed pretty impressive, but I'm really conflicted now. It just seems like a tragically flawed design and now I know why there's so many broken cable posts on Reddit. I don't want to get in a situation where I have to wait three months to get a new cable if it breaks during a low stock period:( I'm leaning towards just refunding right now.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any experience with large play areas using two 2.0 base stations? I can choose between 6m/20ft or 7.5m/25ft between the base stations which should both be functional based on what I've read, but I don't want introduce any judder going 7.5m.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any experience with large play areas using two 2.0 base stations? I can choose between 6m/20ft or 7.5m/25ft between the base stations which should both be functional based on what I've read, but I don't want introduce any judder going 7.5m.

If memory serves, 5m x 5m (7m distance) is within comfortable range and lighthouse 2.0 should be perfect, but in practice you should be good with going a bit higher. 3 of the 2.0 lighthouses should be a little higher than 10m x 10m

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
If memory serves, 5m x 5m (7m distance) is within comfortable range and lighthouse 2.0 should be perfect, but in practice you should be good with going a bit higher. 3 of the 2.0 lighthouses should be a little higher than 10m x 10m
Yeah, that's what I've read but there's not a lot of first-hand experience out there with only 2 base stations at that range. I know it'll most likely be fine, but it'd be nice to have some actual test results for some peace of mind.

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have issues with watching VR videos in Firefox via SteamVR? It worked once, and then it broke and I can't seem to get it working again.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I might need to make a thread in the general gaming side since this one seems lighter on activity, but here goes. I'm looking to get into VR! I just got a bonus at work for $500 to spend at Best Buy (everyone wrote down their favorite stores* months ago, and our boss used those lists to buy the gift cards for our bonuses). What's the best approach here? I see headsets for less than that, but I have zero idea if I should be looking for something specific or how much gear I'll need.

Thanks in advance!

*I jokingly said my favorite store was Radioshack (RIP)

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I might need to make a thread in the general gaming side since this one seems lighter on activity, but here goes. I'm looking to get into VR! I just got a bonus at work for $500 to spend at Best Buy (everyone wrote down their favorite stores* months ago, and our boss used those lists to buy the gift cards for our bonuses). What's the best approach here? I see headsets for less than that, but I have zero idea if I should be looking for something specific or how much gear I'll need.

Thanks in advance!

*I jokingly said my favorite store was Radioshack (RIP)

Quest 2 would get you the best bang for buck. Its far better than most of the legacy options, its all wireless, you can play standalone as it has its own hardware, and you can link it with the PC to play games like HL Alyx. Only downside is that the device is part of the Facebook ecosystem. You have to operate a FB account to use it.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Quest 2 would get you the best bang for buck. Its far better than most of the legacy options, its all wireless, you can play standalone as it has its own hardware, and you can link it with the PC to play games like HL Alyx. Only downside is that the device is part of the Facebook ecosystem. You have to operate a FB account to use it.

Ah, I see. Looks like it's currently sold out at BB, but no rush for me. How deep does the FB thing need to be? Can I make a fake profile just for the headset? I would want to play my Steam titles (EG Elite Dangerous) more than buying ones for the headset specifically, if I'm understanding this correctly

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see. Looks like it's currently sold out at BB, but no rush for me. How deep does the FB thing need to be? Can I make a fake profile just for the headset? I would want to play my Steam titles (EG Elite Dangerous) more than buying ones for the headset specifically, if I'm understanding this correctly

You need an account - supposedly you'll get banned for having a fake one, but I'm not sure whats stopping you from making any convincing pseudoname and using it. Btw, if you do decide to go down this road you'll need either the Oculus Link (tethered cable) or a software solution (Virtual Desktop) to make the connection to PC.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So my stress-levels are through the ROOF right now because FedEx just hit me with "Delivery exception Incorrect address - Apartment/Suite number " to the EXACT same address I've been receiving packages to From FedEx without issue for months now. The Delivery Address I see written on the tracker is literally 1:1 identical to that of the addresses on the trackers of two other packages I got this same week. Was supposed to be getting my Index today and already called-in...