• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
A Jasper redemption arc has been the one thing I've wanted most (Well, behind a Peridot redemption arc) since Jailbreak. I hate that the closest I've gotten to that over the past 3 years is a Dove commercial.

Just caught up on the new episodes, & I'm not sure what I can say that wouldn't be parroting other posts here. The first one had a neat art style & an adorable sequence of Garnet geeking out about each of the Off-Colors, but was effectively just establishing Garnet knows of the Off-Colors now. The second would have been top-tier if it aired among a bunch of other episodes instead of being part of a small batch of breather episodes after a months'-long hiatus with another one looming (But was still good regardless). The third was charming character development. Then the fourth was explicit foreshadowing & retroactively made a lot of the townie episodes fit in, even though most of the developments happened so long ago without being called back to that it was easy to forget about them.

And, as another poster put it, it's been so long that just seeing the other 3 Crystal Gems again felt like a surprise. That definitely wasn't intended by the writers, though. That might be reserved for, say, Bismuth or Topaz making a comeback, but by that point, I feel like a good chunk of the audience may not even remember who the former is.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
i can't believe Garnet got a cat
13a.gif

also a reminder to you all that the new episodes start airing on tv monday and are premiering one a week for four weeks, so if you have the time watch them on tv as well

tom641

Mar 24, 2018
Over there
Hey, it turns out they're FINALLY rerunning older episodes again to tie in with the new episodes.

And by "rerun," I mean "1 episode at 6:00 AM each weekday."

Hey, could be worse. They could have aired the new episodes in that timeslot.
"Welp I guess kids just aren't waking up at 6 AM so nobody wants to see steven universe"

At least there's also that ONE episode on monday night?

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
"Welp I guess kids just aren't waking up at 6 AM so nobody wants to see steven universe"

I mean... I woke up at like 5am to watch the same 12 or so episodes of OG Dragon Ball back in the days before I even knew the word anime. But also the internet didn't exist, so maybe kids have changed since my day.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's the "new" episode for the week.

I mean... I woke up at like 5am to watch the same 12 or so episodes of OG Dragon Ball back in the days before I even knew the word anime. But also the internet didn't exist, so maybe kids have changed since my day.

This kind of behavior was uncommon even back in my day. Only time you'd be watching TV that early is while eating breakfast before school. At the very least, it's better than what they were playing in that timeslot when I was like 12-13 (cue traumatic flashbacks to the Unicron Trilogy).

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Hey, it turns out they're FINALLY rerunning older episodes again to tie in with the new episodes.

And by "rerun," I mean "1 episode at 6:00 AM each weekday."

Hey, could be worse. They could have aired the new episodes in that timeslot.

And this is why i don't watch the show and the network hardly any more. they keep hiding the shit i want to see from me.

All they ever want me and everyone else to watch is TT:GO. Fuck that. It's like When Nick started running reruns of spongebob constantly, only that show is consistently entertaining at least with it's earlier seasons.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... I woke up at like 5am to watch the same 12 or so episodes of OG Dragon Ball back in the days before I even knew the word anime.
Then the following year they timeskipped like 10 years and Goku's an adult and has a son. That was a weird time.

I remember doing the same for Dragon Warrior, only to be devastated it only lasted 13 episodes.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I was listening to an interview by Ian Jones-Quartey and he said to the network an App view is worth more to CN than watching it live or buying the episode on itunes. So the scheduling may seem weird but it makes sense if they are trying to sheperd a new generation of viewers onto their App.

tom641

Mar 24, 2018
Over there
I was listening to an interview by Ian Jones-Quartey and he said to the network an App view is worth more to CN than watching it live or buying the episode on itunes. So the scheduling may seem weird but it makes sense if they are trying to sheperd a new generation of viewers onto their App.
That's great, now let me watch things I want on the app without having a cable plan that they've deemed worthy

Make it however much they'd earn per person from a cable plan subscription.

granted I know they won't do this because the cable plans will drop them if they can't sell us CN in a shitty bundle

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Ctaching up to the show and am Watching Lars of the Stars.

I wonder if all these recent cartoon creators of the past 5-10 years have actually watched Captain Harlock cuz this is like the 3rd if not 2nd cartoon that has a parody of him.
I like that the gem he is against is Emerald

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Ctaching up to the show and am Watching Lars of the Stars.

I wonder if all these recent cartoon creators of the past 5-10 years have actually watched Captain Harlock cuz this is like the 3rd if not 2nd cartoon that has a parody of him.
I like that the gem he is against is Emerald
Rebecca Sugar and other Steven Universe crew members are definitely huge old-school anime fans, including Leiji Matsumoto's work. Blue Diamond's design was inspired in part by Matsumoto's iconic character designs.

You know the creators are deep in that anime well when they're inspired by and referencing deeper cuts like Revolutionary Girl Utena and Future Boy Conan (the latter of which was a big influence on Steven & Connie's relationship).

Last edited:

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Huh. With all this Pink Diamond merch ready to go out, who's willing to bet she's not only alive, but a very sympathetic character that they're banking on being a fan favorite at that? I mean, it took forever for us to get Peridot merch, & she's the heart of the team (To me)!

tom641

Mar 24, 2018
Over there
Huh. With all this Pink Diamond merch ready to go out, who's willing to bet she's not only alive, but a very sympathetic character that they're banking on being a fan favorite at that? I mean, it took forever for us to get Peridot merch, & she's the heart of the team (To me)!
I think they're just banking on her being cuter than the average massive imposing Diamonds are. I mean, we know SOMETHING is up with her because at the very least everyone is telling us she was shattered, but I can't imagine her being an ally unless somehow the PD is RQ theory ends up being true. (which i'm still not 100% convinced it's not)

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
(which i'm still not 100% convinced it's not)
Itd be a ridiculously stupid twist at this point with all we know. We know pink diamond and Rose quartz were leading their own armies at the time. We know what RQ gems look like and how Steven's matches that room full of them.

Literally nothing short of some "pink diamond fused but didn't manifest any signs of fusion" BS could make that theory work at this point.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I think they're just banking on her being cuter than the average massive imposing Diamonds are. I mean, we know SOMETHING is up with her because at the very least everyone is telling us she was shattered, but I can't imagine her being an ally unless somehow the PD is RQ theory ends up being true. (which i'm still not 100% convinced it's not)

Makes sense about the "she's the cutesy one," but the only bit of info we have on her personality is Stevonnie's dream where she acted like a brat. Pink Diamond is clearly a major player in the plot already, but I feel like they're planning on making her a bigger one.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Itd be a ridiculously stupid twist at this point with all we know. We know pink diamond and Rose quartz were leading their own armies at the time. We know what RQ gems look like and how Steven's matches that room full of them.

Literally nothing short of some "pink diamond fused but didn't manifest any signs of fusion" BS could make that theory work at this point.
Steven is both rose quartz and pink diamond. Hear me out rose reincarnated pink diamond into a human. An avatar cycle of humans not knowing the dormant powers they had existed until Greg, who passed on that soul to Steven who will one day awaken his 2nd set of gem abilities.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Pink Diamond is obviously important, and i won't be surprised if steven(or stevonnie) has another dream about her soon

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
the brave faces we put on in front of other people

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sooo I have Steven saved on my Hulu page because I've been meaning to do a re-watch, and I just noticed they have the show listed as expiring by the end of the month. Are they really losing Steven because there has been a few times where a show was listed as expiring but didn't go away or came back a month later. It honestly seems strange they'd be losing the show since they just got season 4 last month I think.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo I have Steven saved on my Hulu page because I've been meaning to do a re-watch, and I just noticed they have the show listed as expiring by the end of the month. Are they really losing Steven because there has been a few times where a show was listed as expiring but didn't go away or came back a month later. It honestly seems strange they'd be losing the show since they just got season 4 last month I think.
contract negotiations probably

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having looked into it a little more, apparently it is the first 35 episodes that are being removed from Hulu, which is really stupid for anyone who's trying to get into the show. They might return at some point but people are saying that this is to promote the CN App, even though most of those episodes are not available on the app. The only other thing I can think of is that they're doing this to get people to buy the first season DVD. Unless, of course, they just need to renew the contract for those first 35 episodes, but there's no way to know if they will return or not until they do or don't.

Well, I think I'll binge watch them over the next few days. I wasn't planning on doing a full rewatch for awhile, but oh well. I was going to hold out for a Blu-ray release of the first season, but if they are potentially dropping the first season off streaming bit by bit then I may have to jump on the DVD release after all.

tom641

Mar 24, 2018
Over there
Why the deal with all of these streaming services isn't just "here's access to all of the episodes, you have them or you have nothing" is beyond me.

Ignoring special situations like South Park with specific banned episodes.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Why the deal with all of these streaming services isn't just "here's access to all of the episodes, you have them or you have nothing" is beyond me.

Ignoring special situations like South Park with specific banned episodes.
"We would like to purchase the rights to stream you TV show Generic Family Sitcom 784."
"We would like 10 million because of it's popularity in syndication"
"What about just the latest 5 episodes."
"6 million"
"Deal!"

exaggerated numbers but that would be the main reason. it likely costs the streaming channel less, and the show providers make more money from people turning in for reruns of the show if it isn't fully available online.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I am unironically expecting Sneople to pay off at some point. It could be a credits gag after the series finale but i'm sure it'll happen at some point.

I bet they're going to be adorable
I am half expecting to learn the planet steven was on had them and one snuck onto lar's ship and they will have to deal with them when they get to earth.

edit: cool stuff from reddit
s9j8aee9kks01.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/stevenuniverse/comments/8d1xt5/we_are_garnet_acrylic_on_canvas/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
hold on to your butts people we're getting two months in a row of new episodes

Status
Not open for further replies.