Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
What if the Will fake out is really unrequited love for Eleven? I mean, I mean to everyone in California Elle is his step sister, and Will doesn't have the same history as she has with Mike. So maybe Will feels intimidated by Mike with Eleven?

I don't know, just trying to come up with another option that isn't Robin x Steve 2.0 while also speedrunning Will into a relationship next season (or even worse leaving him without "someone").

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
What if the Will fake out is really unrequited love for Eleven? I mean, I mean to everyone in California Elle is his step sister, and Will doesn't have the same history as she has with Mike. So maybe Will feels intimidated by Mike with Eleven?

I don't know, just trying to come up with another option that isn't Robin x Steve 2.0 while also speedrunning Will into a relationship next season (or even worse leaving him without "someone").

I think it is with eleven as well. They share a connection no one else has wrt the upside down even within the group of main characters.

It's a bit of a stretch with Mike I think, they didn't really establish any of that IMO. But everyone had the hots for eleven in the first season I'm pretty sure.

Could be Mike, I guess. Anything is possible

About Will, there's this scene very early in episode 1 that the show went out of its way to show us.

tPvOFzq.gif

It doesn't necessarily mean anything on its own, but when adding everything else since season 1 the subtext becomes pretty clear I feel. I'm not necessarily sure about him having a real crush on Mike, but I guess we'll see what the writers will do with all of that by the end of the show.

Maybe, but he could just have issues with self-esteem, which is how I read that. That's basically how I would have reacted in high school as well — it just shows me he is very uncertain of himself and highly suspect of relationships (how many father figures has this guy lost, coupled with his trauma?) imo.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Maybe, but he could just have issues with self-esteem, which is how I read that. That's basically how I would have reacted in high school as well — it just shows me he is very uncertain of himself and highly suspect of relationships (how many father figures has this guy lost, coupled with his trauma?) imo.

That's also a very valid interpretation I think.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I am having a hard time reading Will as anything but gay. There are a good dozen scenes that individually could mean anything, really, but the sheer quantity of them bringing up the thought has been aplenty this season, and yeah, already existed prior as well. And think about it, if you yourself have to theorize the signs being a "fake-out" for the audience to reveal he really likes El, do you truly think the writers would would employ those methods? That'd be straight scummy.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I really do think Will is asexual; his mannerisms and rebuffing of sexual advances is plain, and he really enjoys being friends with Mike. I don't think it's sexual attraction to Mike either, there's not been any real longing or stuff like that, Mike is really the only person Will feels like he truly connects to, and that's why it hurts when their friendship is strained by his relationships.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The Upside Down already existed as a plane. The specific portion of the Upside Down that resembles a time-frozen Hawkins was created at the exact moment Eleven made contact with the Mind Flayer for the first time. Think of it like an empty glass being filled with water. The glass existed before the water was poured into it.

Is that confirmed somewhere or is just your theory?

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I am today years old when I found the girl playing Robin is Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke's daughter as this was the only thing I saw her in.

Oct 30, 2017
I think it is with eleven as well. They share a connection no one else has wrt the upside down even within the group of main characters.

It's a bit of a stretch with Mike I think, they didn't really establish any of that IMO. But everyone had the hots for eleven in the first season I'm pretty sure.

No one aside from Mike had any attraction towards El in season 1. Lucas struggled between wanting her included and ostracizing her because he believed her to be the cause of all the trouble. Dustin was too astounded by having a superhero in the group and really ever showed interest to the unobtainable popular girls in school. And Will was in the Upside Down for the whole season.

I don't see how Will could be attracted to El. Mike even mentions in season 2 or 3 that "it's not our fault that you're not into girls" before stopping himself after seeing Will's reaction. Aside from this season, Will has had very limited interactions with El. With season 4, we're technically only 6 months into the future following the end of season 3. By this point they've taken on a brother/sister dynamic rather than anything resembling attraction.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately have no idea how anyone could come to the conclusion that Will is even remotely attracted to El. They've never hinted at that whatsoever lol. They're step-siblings.

Whereas there are numerous hints at him being gay ever since even the first episode of the series, in pretty overt ways too.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty positive they'll probably address Will and his identity very soon. There is so much pointing in that direction.

Oct 26, 2017
Jonathan and Argyle aren't bad. The levity in the California segments is actually kind of appreciated (and man, the shootout scene was amazing). Hoping that Mike and co. come back in a big way for the final two eps.

The Russia part is what really drags. I love Hop, and Joyce and Murray are fairly entertaining here and there, but there's just too much of it. It should really be a C- plot instead of a full on B plot. I would have given more for the California team to do and much less for the Russia team to do if I were the writer.

Also, Eddie needs to join the main cast. He totally stole the show in Episode 1 and I was sad to see him kind of fade into the background until the final couple of eps.
Hop should've stayed dead. That whole section of the story feels so unnecessary.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the last episode right now and I'm going to try to knock that one out tonight. I gotta say, this has been one hell of a season so far. Episode 4 alone was amazing. The "Running up the Hill" sequence is going to be a highly memorable moment for this entire series.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
This season kicks ass. It's gonna suck when Steve dies protecting Nancy.

I thought I would mind the break, but I'm kinda liking it. The episodes have been chunky and substantial enough in their own right, they chose a good, natural stopping point, and now when the big stuff drops on the back end I won't have like 9 hours of stuff I have to power through to not get mega spoiled.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
This season kicks ass. It's gonna suck when Steve dies protecting Nancy.

I thought I would mind the break, but I'm kinda liking it. The episodes have been chunky and substantial enough in their own right, they chose a good, natural stopping point, and now when the big stuff drops on the back end I won't have like 9 hours of stuff I have to power through to not get mega spoiled.
I was pretty unexcited before the season came out, but it pulled me right back in once I started watching it.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017

It took 7.5 hours to put on the prosthetics for Vecna and they had to to it 20 times. They got it down to about 6.5 hours by the end. Imagine doing that, plus doing the shoot for another 10 hours.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up last night and this is a pretty good season.
I am sort of glad the other episodes don't come out for a bit. Each episode is pretty long so a break is fine.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Will has been implied to be "different" from the rest of the core group since all the way back in S1, and that "difference" was apparently one of the main targets of Dad Byers' abuse. The first hints of there being something more than just friendship from Will toward Mike was probably S2, but it really became clear in S3 when Will started getting really frustrated with Mike for trying to grow up and spend time with Eleven instead of him.

My expectation has always been that Will would turn out this way, so I hope that, given how much time they've had to write the show out their way without having to worry about being cancelled, they found out a way to pay it off well and not just have Will confess his love for Mike and then have one of them die immediately afterward.
The very first scene of the season is Eleven saying Will is making a gift for a girl "he likes" which is 100% for Mike, and we see him in class shy away from a girl who shows him any amount of attention. There's too many hints this season, on top of everything you mentioned from prior seasons. I feel like they can only skirt around it for so long.

I was going to write that my main hangup if the story goes the route of Will accepting not hooking up with Mike is that it'd basically be a partial retread/reversal of Robin and Steve's storyline, and then I remembered that Robin's already kind of en route toward a potential love interest in this story and that Will's comparatively been so kowtowed into being the third wheel to Mike's four seasons worth of hyper heterosexuality that the pretext is certainly way different.

I think the biggest disservice to Will has been that he's probably the character who's received the least amount of side characters gravitating around his orbit, which is definitely a consequence of him spending so much of the series as a plot device. Mike, Lucas and Dustin consistently had a clear trio dynamic throughout Season 1, but they spun out even further throughout the seasons with Mike having Eleven, Lucas having Max and his basketball team, and Dustin having the absolute lion's share of the Scoops Troop and Eddie. Will only really has Mike, and while he does end up being Eleven's step brother in this season, it doesn't seem like it's developed his character outside of the fact that it shows how he's still a good hearted guy who looks out for his friends. It's trouble to balance such a big cast, but I feel he definitely deserved having some more characters to interact with, even if his Season 3 moments of coping with his undying love for his party are some of the best moments in this series.
I felt the same way at first in regards to it feeling like a retread of Robin. To the point that I thought it was a red herring, but I can't see that being the case after finishing Volume One. To Will's credit, there's been more build up and they're different enough that I can still see it.

I could believe that, but the thing that gives me pause is what I mentioned above. He's implied to be putting his all into his painting for someone "he likes" and it's clearly for Mike.

Last edited:

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
The very first scene of the season is Eleven saying Will is making a gift for a girl "he likes" which is 100% for Mike, and we see him in class shy away from a girl who shows him any amount of attention. There's too many hints this season, on top of everything you mentioned from prior seasons. I feel like they can only skirt around it for so long.

I felt the same way at first in regards to it feeling like a retread of Robin. To the point that I thought it was a red herring, but I can't see that being the case after finishing Volume One. To Will's credit, there's been more build up and they're different enough that I can still see it.

I could believe that, but the thing that gives me pause is what I mentioned above. He's implied to be putting his all into his painting for someone "he likes" and it's clearly for Mike.
He is also took the painting to the airport when Mike arrived and he also took the painting in his backpack when Mike and him made up. Plus Will was upset that Mike was ignoring him not that Eleven is ignoring him. Will's interactions in the group is always with Mike too.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
The split was probably them testing out new formats of releasing episodes. It they find it successful, I expect more series to be divided up more and for longer periods.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of like it being two parts. You get the feeling of binging but also the benefit of discussion as well.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this was posted yet, but some interesting info from the Duffers here where they mention the final episode of this season has more FX shots than the entirety of season 3:

www.empireonline.com

Stranger Things Season 4’s Epic Finale ‘Has More FX Shots Than The Entirety Of Season 3’, Say The Duffer Brothers – Exclusive

The supernatural goings-on in Hawkins show no sign of slowing. Get the full story at Empire.

"The final episode has more FX shots than the entirety of Season 3," co-creator Matt Duffer tells Empire. With Season 3 of the supernatural show featuring an enormous gloopy creature called the Mind Flayer, various characters melting down to become part of it, and the mega Starcourt mall battle, that's quite a statement. "There's an hour-long chunk in the final episode that just doesn't stop," adds other co-creator and Duffer brother, Ross. "It's the most complicated thing we've ever attempted to do. [It's] all tension and dread, with a run-time that would be long even for a movie. Then – well, everything goes to hell…"

Also a badass shot of El, but it's a little spoilery for anyone who hasn't watched S4 yet so I'll spoiler tag it:

tw-stranger-things.jpg

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this was posted yet, but some interesting info from the Duffers here where they mention the final episode of this season has more FX shots than the entirety of season 3:

www.empireonline.com

Stranger Things Season 4’s Epic Finale ‘Has More FX Shots Than The Entirety Of Season 3’, Say The Duffer Brothers – Exclusive

The supernatural goings-on in Hawkins show no sign of slowing. Get the full story at Empire.

Also a badass shot of El, but it's a little spoilery for anyone who hasn't watched S4 yet so I'll spoiler tag it:

tw-stranger-things.jpg
They did mention that they were spending time finishing up the last episodes. I'm guessing that in addition to editing they were probably working on the effects as well.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In S1E1 Joyce literally says other kids call Will a « f-word ».

The more I think about who might die if any do the more I think it will be Jonathan. He lost his love interest, he was the one making up for their father being gone but Will is growing up and can step in if Jonathan bites it, plus Hoper will probably not die after all they went through.

Also,
because they said only a 13 or higher could defeat the demogorgon when rolling the dice I do wonder if there won't be a #12, someone who will end up with powers thanks to the process for bringing Eleven's powers back being reapplied to another. Maybe Brenner himself.

Another thing is I wonder if Hoper's daughter's death will ever have any significance. Probably not but you never know.

Also another possibility, Will's insistence that Eleven lied and him getting Mike to say they'll be BFFs I think will come back. Will might end up in a position where he can make Eleven go away by lying about her. In S1E2 his brother has him listen to a song in a flashback where he tells him to be himself, and the song's chorus is « Should I stay or should I go ». So it's possible Will will do something « bad » if he can't be with Mike on a closer level than Mike is willing to accept, but it would send a really weird message.

Maybe Will himself is ultimately 012. When Eleven looks at the game board, she grabbed the wizard and said « Will ». Then she flipped the board and put him on the backside of it. Will is the wizard.

Last edited:
Minor thought about episode 1: from Mr. Wheeler's comment about Mike's "sweetie pie", evidently they know he has a girlfriend living with the Byers family; what exactly do the parents think the story is there?

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
tvline.com

Stranger Things Creators Share Their Regrets About Killing Off [Spoiler]

The Duffer Brothers shares their regret over the heartbreaking Stranger Things Season 4 death of [Spoiler].

Episode 1 spoilers
We didn't see it coming, but we'll be damned: After they'd had just a single scene together, we'd started shipping Stranger Things' "Eddie the Freak" and "Chrissy the Cheerleader" as an adorable couple to be. So when she was brutally murdered by Vecna at the end of "Chapter One: The Hellfire Club," we were devastated — as, it turns out, were the series' creators, the Duffer Brothers.

"We always have those moments [of 'What have we done?']," Matt Duffer tells TVLine. "We shot the quote-unquote drug-deal scene in the woods pretty late, actually, into shooting." In fact, adds Ross Duffer, "we had already killed Chrissy when we shot that."

So the queen of Hawkins High's fate was sealed by the time the EPs saw the sparks that flew when Joseph Quinn and Grace Van Dien acted opposite one another. "The scene came alive in a way that was just so beautiful," marvels Matt. "And so much of that was Joe and Grace.

"It was just one of those fortunate scenes where we were able to have two cameras rolling capturing them simultaneously," he continues. "Joe was doing a lot of stuff kinda spontaneously, and we were getting these amazing reactions from Grace."

We were as charmed by their interplay as Chrissy wound up being by Eddie. So it broke our hearts when she was so viciously pretzeled before his (and our!) eyes. "It's pretty impressive what Grace was able to do with very, very few scenes," says Matt, "to get people to care like she did."

TL:DR shooting for TV is weird and you don't realize what you have until you see the dailies

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
tvline.com

Stranger Things Creators Share Their Regrets About Killing Off [Spoiler]

The Duffer Brothers shares their regret over the heartbreaking Stranger Things Season 4 death of [Spoiler].

Episode 1 spoilers

TL:DR shooting for TV is weird and you don't realize what you have until you see the dailies

Chrissy was amazing and I totally get regretting killing her off. That just makes her death all the more effective. It's the same as Drew Barrymore dying in the opening of Scream.

All of the characters in ST are fantastic, but they can't all survive.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
In S1E1 Joyce literally says other kids call Will a « f-word ».

The more I think about who might die if any do the more I think it will be Jonathan. He lost his love interest, he was the one making up for their father being gone but Will is growing up and can step in if Jonathan bites it, plus Hoper will probably not die after all they went through.

Also,
because they said only a 13 or higher could defeat the demogorgon when rolling the dice I do wonder if there won't be a #12, someone who will end up with powers thanks to the process for bringing Eleven's powers back being reapplied to another. Maybe Brenner himself.

Another thing is I wonder if Hoper's daughter's death will ever have any significance. Probably not but you never know.

Also another possibility, Will's insistence that Eleven lied and him getting Mike to say they'll be BFFs I think will come back. Will might end up in a position where he can make Eleven go away by lying about her. In S1E2 his brother has him listen to a song in a flashback where he tells him to be himself, and the song's chorus is « Should I stay or should I go ». So it's possible Will will do something « bad » if he can't be with Mike on a closer level than Mike is willing to accept, but it would send a really weird message.

Maybe Will himself is ultimately 012. When Eleven looks at the game board, she grabbed the wizard and said « Will ». Then she flipped the board and put him on the backside of it. Will is the wizard.

Jonathan dying makes the most sense considering they are already setting up Nancy + Steve again

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Jonathan dying makes the most sense considering they are already setting up Nancy + Steve again
Kinda feel like this season is building up towards Steve's death. His character arc feels complete --- he now knows who he want, he now realize how much he's adored by Dustin, acknowldged as the perfect good guy by Eddie. It would open up to finally involved his family in the final season.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda feel like this season is building up towards Steve's death. His character arc feels complete --- he now knows who he want, he now realize how much he's adored by Dustin, acknowldged as the perfect good guy by Eddie. It would open up to finally involved his family in the final season.

I feel like bringing Steve's dad in after he dies would be a weird call. The parents are always side characters at best, and I don't think Steve has any siblings that could slot into the core cast and fill that void.