• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I didn't even watch but this is impressive even considering almost every dragon force song is at least five minutes long. HOW DO YOU LEARN A SONG IN LESS TIME THAN IT TAKES TO HEAR IT???! Fucking. Amazing.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
There's nothing about the song that is especially difficult to learn how to bang out on the piano (she even says it's just the double-kick and speed that makes it sound scary) but it's still crazy impressive she picked it up in like 30 seconds.

This.

It's still impressive as hell but the chord changes and melodies are predictable. I couldn't have done it (hopefully one day I'll be able to dictate like that) but with enough ear training on melodic/rhythmic dictation there are plenty of musicians capable of doing what she did there.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
So cool. That improv medley she did based on songs the chat was feeding her was one of the most enjoyable things to come out of social media.

Oct 27, 2017
Not impossible for a pro musician to see that chorus coming a mile away
Dragonforce's music is so by the numbers that literally anyone who listens to music can see the structure of their songs a mile a way lmao.

She is really impressive she did this big medley of songs based on what the chat was calling out.

I;m watching this and when she got to the Metal Gear theme i got shivers. Weird how much that piece triggers nostalgic/emotional response still years later.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
She is talented and she has from what someone above said perfect pitch and synesthesia. Even with those things what really sets her apart is the 30 years of playing and training. Music is structure and she has dedicated her life to the craft of understanding music. Awesome channel and she gained another subscriber.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, I like Lara, check out her Video game music covers on YouTube or livestreams on Twitch

She is really good at playing, I have been following her since last year and recommend her channel.

Also I can't read the chat on my device its too small did Herman Li show up? He also has a Twitch channel and whilst not Linked to Lara but Matt from Trivium is on Twitch and Youtube too and also does Covers (he's the one semi responsible for inspiring and helping Herman Li get set up) and Matt also covered Through The Fire & The Flames as well as many other Songs Acoustically with his own Twist on them

Last edited:

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love her streams. I'll sometimes just put one on as background noise while doing something else.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
She reminds me of a guy I grew up with who also has perfect pitch. He could not only play any note that he heard but he could sing any note that somebody called out. It's like some kind of super power.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
So, most of TtFatF is arpeggios and normal chord progressions. Not too difficult for a trained ear to figure out where the music is heading.

HOWEVER
That song is crazy fast and flat out difficult to play regardless of the ear, and the fact that she learned it in minutes is incredible. She's very talented. Just started following her on twitch, so thanks for the vid OP.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Synaesthesia is not generally particularly useful for ear training. Perfect pitch can be (certainly helps with figuring out what note to start on) but generally the biggest aid to it all is a lot of experience and familiarity with a lot of genres.

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonforce songs aren't hard to predict and I can buy someone with her talent could easily predict that obvious chores. Like I'm pretty good at predicting a songs chores and I suck

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I've been playing music for most of my 30 years of existence (even got a degree) and my god that's incredible blend of talent and skill. The people shrugging this off are crazy.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Sure maybe, it's also a completely unnecessary assumption.

What is more assumable is that in 30 years of music training she knows where a basically-constructed song like this is going.
So, to be clear, you are saying the more likely assumption is that a person who has dedicated their life to music for the past 30 years has never ever heard "Through the Fire and the Flames" even I passing and instead is able to accurately guess the chorus? As opposed to believe she's heard it before at some point, but just never actually learned it until now in real time, in 4 minutes.

I mean you could be totally right. Can we get a timestamp on the twitch archive?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow.

She had it after a minute and a half. Crazy.

What's even crazier is that she nailed the chorus without listening it lol

Oct 25, 2017
So, to be clear, you are saying the more likely assumption is that a person who has dedicated their life to music for the past 30 years has never ever heard "Through the Fire and the Flames" even I passing and instead is able to accurately guess the chorus? As opposed to believe she's heard it before at some point, but just never actually learned it until now in real time, in 4 minutes.

I mean you could be totally right. Can we get a timestamp on the twitch archive?

It's not unreasonable to assume she never dipped her toes into power metal.

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, because that is way less ridiculous than you are trying to make it sound.

This song isn't a Top 40 chart topper. You know it if you're either way into that sub genre or were way into Rock Band a decade ago.

You're also claiming that someone who has a bajillion recorded hours of demonstrations of her ability to actually do this decided to randomly bullshit and fake her ignorance of this one, very uncomplicated song for some reason.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
She does this kind of thing a lot. Biggest revelation of this thread is actually that she is 36... certainly caught me off guard anyways.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
They should have her be the lone pianist for the next The Game Awards, doing new songs for newly announced games in that medley style. Man she's lucky, that's an amazing gift to have.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yes, because that is way less ridiculous than you are trying to make it sound.

This song isn't a Top 40 chart topper. You know it if you're either way into that sub genre or were way into Rock Band a decade ago.

You're also claiming that someone who has a bajillion recorded hours of demonstrations of her ability to actually do this decided to randomly bullshit and fake her ignorance of this one, very uncomplicated song for some reason.
At no point did I say she was feigning ignorance. In fact I quite specifically said "never actually learned it until now."

Does anyone have a timestamp for the stream archive? It's very difficult to try and seek on the timeline, on mobile.

Samara

Oct 25, 2017
Québec
My sister in law has the same talent. A few notes and bam she can play it on violin or piano. It's pretty amazing.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Synaesthesia is not generally particularly useful for ear training. Perfect pitch can be (certainly helps with figuring out what note to start on) but generally the biggest aid to it all is a lot of experience and familiarity with a lot of genres.

Yeah this is my take. Those things certainly aid her but she's been doing this most of her life and its obviously a passion. Still really impressive but she doesn't have super powers, she worked her ass off for something she loves for decades.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
nah, that's hard hard work.
Nah gift or not that takes practice and dedication.
Don't be salty guys she's amazing
This is somehow more disrespectful than those idiots that go around telling every hardworking person that their talent is "god-given" or some bullshit lmao
I'm not discrediting the hard work. 99.9 percent of the population could put in the same work and dedication over a 25 year period and would fail this.

I view the luck factor of being blessed with a special gift as the primary while hard work is secondary. In basketball for example, people over 6'8" hold a huge probability advantage over making the NBA than the average population. No matter how hard a 5'8" person works, people over 6'8" will hold such a large advantage.

So when it comes to something where the competency has reached such heights my reaction when somebody asks how can somebody achieve this I will answer with having a gift.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not discrediting the hard work. 99.9 percent of the population could put in the same work and dedication over a 25 year period and would fail this.

I view the luck factor of being blessed with a special gift as the primary while hard work is secondary. In basketball for example, people over 6'8" hold a huge probability advantage over making the NBA than the average population. No matter how hard a 5'8" person works, people over 6'8" will hold such a large advantage.

So when it comes to something where the competency has reached such heights my reaction when somebody asks how can somebody achieve this I will answer with having a gift.
If you're considering their hard work and dedication as secondary to luck then it's a garbage take.

Plenty of guys in the NBA under 6 ft

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
That's made me tear up, it was that awesome. Usually I don't get that emotional watching people do amazing stuff. The human species is a marvel.

Oct 26, 2017
I discovered her stuff when she did the mega medley and similarly learned Baba Yetu in five minutes. She's great. It's one thing to memorize a song but then also being able to play it, including harmonies, that takes both skill and talent.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
She also has tons of experience learning songs in this format.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely incredible.

I started playing guitar 2 weeks ago (something I've wanted to do my entire life), and I can't even comprehend this.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this OP. Following now on Twitch. Her rerun stream has 670 viewers right now -crazy. She is amazing.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
If you're considering their hard work and dedication as secondary to luck then it's a garbage take.

Plenty of guys in the NBA under 6 ft
Explain why, don't just say it's a garbage take.

There are plenty of outliers in everything. This doesn't discredit the fact the probability leans in the favour of those with the gift related to the subject.