What system are you primarily playing Street Fighter 6 on?

• PlayStation 5

Votes: 330 41.5%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 12 1.5%
  • Xbox Series X

Votes: 86 10.8%
  • Xbox Series S

Votes: 17 2.1%
  • PC / Steam

Votes: 350 44.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of people forget but They did make 2 big changes to drive rushes.

1. You can't buffer jab into drive rush anymore as it takes 3 bars even on whiff.

2. Adding the option to drive rush cancel with Parry button press was extremely significant for most players. I and I'm sure many others could not double tap forward to drive rush cancel in a combo consistently.
Right, but compared to SF6, T8 has been doing rapidfire updates since launch. I don't think they're doing updates half-cocked but rather opinions on whats a problem change with a little more time. There approach is more traditional of attempting to fix problems kind of as they come up. I give them some slack as this is the first time they've launched without the safety net of an arcade version.

KENMASTERS1

Apr 9, 2021
The trailer might not drop until the very end of the month. Akuma Pass won't begin until May and we still got Evo Japan coming up the last weekend of April.
that's possible, but i've also noticed that the 3 past gameplay trailers also dropped on or a day before Thursday so I'm leaning on that pattern to follow suit hopefully

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Only issue could be the size of the roster. I dont know how many characters slot the current select screen could handle.

El Sloth

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not surprised to see Ryu, Jamie, & Blanka high up on that list. I think most of the people who've one-n-done'd me played one of those characters (+ Honda mains)
That data doesn't say who is doing the one-and-done'ing, just which characters end up being involved in one-and-done's. And given the way people here and twitter talk about the characters, it's likely majority them being one-and-done'd lol. Blanka and Sim especially, people seem to hate playing these characters.

I think tournaments are good but yeah, there are some killers here on ERA. lol. I haven't looked to see how the tournament shook out, but I know FluxWave in particular is very legit and I would imagine he wasn't alone. Also, I think many here who did and did not participate in the tournament were in a similar boat as me in having not touched the game much for some extended amount of time.

Still, I kind of regret not participating even if there was something of a competitive gulf between many of the players. If I wasn't stressing over an imminent work project, I think I would've signed up as I kept checking to see where the number of entrants was pretty much up to the start time of the tournament and kept having to talk myself out of not signing up. lol. That said, while playing against players better than you can be a great way to learn, it can be hard to take much from getting worked by someone so doing something in addition to tournaments would be great. I look forward to whatever comes of this and thank you for your hard work on this.
I feel you. Especially with balancing work and with wanting to play. I will say, try and remember with free online tournaments that worst that can happen is... you lose. And that's it! If you were going to play ranked or something later anyway, then it's the same! Unless it's being run terribly and you're waiting forever for your match.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018

View: https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1781518444439200077

View: https://twitter.com/Prime1Studio/status/1781510465883111840
IMG_0230_5j9FSruVibeDJ0PXYL9FxZ2infL-EPoZ.jpg

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
If I want to get through the "five avatar battles" weekly challenge thingy as quickly as possible, would it be a smart move on my part to restart world tour from the beginning so that I'm level 1 and I can play against people with avatars that are level 65 who can body me in a few seconds?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
If I want to get through the "five avatar battles" weekly challenge thingy as quickly as possible, would it be a smart move on my part to restart world tour from the beginning so that I'm level 1 and I can play against people with avatars that are level 65 who can body me in a few seconds?
Yeah, maybe? I like the Avatar stuff in this game but there really should be an option at least for avatar battles with normalized health and damage.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Hey all

i'm still very new to sf, ps5 reckons i've played 13hrs, mostly fighting ground, a few hours across the other modes (some of that is idle time tho so yeah very new). i got ranked at Iron 2 and with incredible efficiency dropped myself all the way to the bottom 😎

i'm on modern controls, coming from mortal kombat. they seem good, although sometimes it feels odd not having to do any real button combos (i know you can/have to with the Assist button for some moves); i've almost felt like i'd appreciate if there were something in between, even though this is literally already the hybrid/in between mode. someone suggested that Classic might feel more natural to me, but idk yet. i suspect the answer is just to keep playing/figure it out.

the game is a lot of fun, but definitely overwhelming lol
the menus! different kinds of points! currencies! not being able to just add my psn friends! drive everything!

despite my aversion to feet (no offence anyone) i've been mostly playing Juri. literally facing my foot demons here, having to see the character screen. i figured i'd play a tricky zoner type (i wanna learn JP) but it's been surprisingly fun kicking the shit out of ppl w juri.

a few questions if i may.

1. the battle/rewards pass thing: it's pretty much the fortnite thing, but for avatar drip right? idk if i'm gonna get it

2. are kudos just for earning new titles?

3. i've found myself going back through the tutorials w/ryu etc cuz no way am i retaining all that stuff after one or even two goes. World Tour seems fun enough: will it also tutorialize me, a bit slower, more organically in a way? lead up to all the Drive and Super Art stuff so i can do it a bunch & internalize it more?

4. according to the commentators i frequently do Raw Supers, a bold strategy. but like when i do them at The Right Time, i'm never hitting Triangle+Square. they seem to come out when i'm kicking ass and hit... X, somewhere in there? so idk how specifically to trigger a non-raw super.

5. the Drive stuff. basically the part i get is using it to paint over someone's move and throw em, which is nice. as for predicting that, idk, is it straight prediction or is there a tell? this game is fast. sometimes i'll impact someone's impact and they'll i guess parry that? also outside the tutorial i've never done Drive Rush stuff.

6. is the bootcamp site (besides looking up stats), rewards or points wise, just for that tamagotchi minigame thing?

7. finally, should i join some kinda discord? does this place have one? like, hey, come and kick my ass! or like, does anyone suck as much as me and wanna play? etc etc.

thanks & i know a bunch of those questions were almost entirely statements

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
Hey all

i'm still very new to sf, ps5 reckons i've played 13hrs, mostly fighting ground, a few hours across the other modes (some of that is idle time tho so yeah very new). i got ranked at Iron 2 and with incredible efficiency dropped myself all the way to the bottom 😎

i'm on modern controls, coming from mortal kombat. they seem good, although sometimes it feels odd not having to do any real button combos (i know you can/have to with the Assist button for some moves); i've almost felt like i'd appreciate if there were something in between, even though this is literally already the hybrid/in between mode. someone suggested that Classic might feel more natural to me, but idk yet. i suspect the answer is just to keep playing/figure it out.

the game is a lot of fun, but definitely overwhelming lol

Welcome! I'm a returning player with SF6 and yeah, it is overwhelming. These games are a lot like rain: The torrential downpour of info is largely runoff and gone, with some being absorbed. But more and more is absorbed over time. There's no substitute for reps, and it all comes eventually!

The good thing about Modern is you can still do (most) combos and specials like they do in Classic. Whoever your fighter is, I can guarantee a skilled content creator has a Youtube about Modern combos that extend far past the assist button.

the menus! different kinds of points! currencies! not being able to just add my psn friends! drive everything!

These are pretty common complaints with everyone, no worries. The menus feel especially awfully laid out to a lot of people.

despite my aversion to feet (no offence anyone) i've been mostly playing Juri. literally facing my foot demons here, having to see the character screen. i figured i'd play a tricky zoner type (i wanna learn JP) but it's been surprisingly fun kicking the shit out of ppl w juri.

As someone with a LOT of time with Juri, yeah she's a ton of fun to use. She's also pretty gimped in Modern (not enough it's really a problem, there are Diamond and Master Juri players aplenty), so if/when you decide to make the hop to classic, you might again be overwhelmed. It's worth it, though!

a few questions if i may.

1. the battle/rewards pass thing: it's pretty much the fortnite thing, but for avatar drip right? idk if i'm gonna get it

2. are kudos just for earning new titles?

3. i've found myself going back through the tutorials w/ryu etc cuz no way am i retaining all that stuff after one or even two goes. World Tour seems fun enough: will it also tutorialize me, a bit slower, more organically in a way? lead up to all the Drive and Super Art stuff so i can do it a bunch & internalize it more?

4. according to the commentators i frequently do Raw Supers, a bold strategy. but like when i do them at The Right Time, i'm never hitting Triangle+Square. they seem to come out when i'm kicking ass and hit... X, somewhere in there? so idk how specifically to trigger a non-raw super.

5. the Drive stuff. basically the part i get is using it to paint over someone's move and throw em, which is nice. as for predicting that, idk, is it straight prediction or is there a tell? this game is fast. sometimes i'll impact someone's impact and they'll i guess parry that? also outside the tutorial i've never done Drive Rush stuff.

6. is the bootcamp site (besides looking up stats), rewards or points wise, just for that tamagotchi minigame thing?

7. finally, should i join some kinda discord? does this place have one? like, hey, come and kick my ass! or like, does anyone suck as much as me and wanna play? etc etc.

thanks & i know a bunch of those questions were almost entirely statements

1. The battlepass thing is purely for Battle Hub shenanigans and World Tour avatar drip, correct.

2. That's all I know they're good for

3. World Tour will absolutely drip-feed game mechanics to you in an organic way, they did a great job with it.

4. "Raw Super" just means a Super outside of a combo. They say things like "It's a bold move" because a raw super that gets whiffed can leave you open for huge damage... and if you're in Platinum or higher, chances are your opponent will put a lot of hurt on you. That being said, it's not always the case: You can full screen punish fireballs with Cammy's Level 3 if you're quick enough, for instance.

5. Drive Impact is slow enough that you can react to it. The real story is people use "safe on block" cancelable moves when poking, and if your opponent throws out a Drive Impact, it gets briefly paused when/if you hit it. This gives people way more time to block or counter. That being said, if you continue to use Drive Impacts in really predictable ways, people will start recognizing the pattern very quickly, and throw out their own.

6. Pretty much yeah. There's also a content calendar thing, but for the most part it's tomogachi and stats.

7. I dunno if we have an active discord, tbh.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
If anyone wants to add me, my user code is: 2067899642
online id: styl_oh

(that's how you do it, right? this feels like some nintendo friend code typa thing)
Welcome! I'm a returning player with SF6 and yeah, it is overwhelming. These games are a lot like rain: The torrential downpour of info is largely runoff and gone, with some being absorbed. But more and more is absorbed over time. There's no substitute for reps, and it all comes eventually!

The good thing about Modern is you can still do (most) combos and specials like they do in Classic. Whoever your fighter is, I can guarantee a skilled content creator has a Youtube about Modern combos that extend far past the assist button.

These are pretty common complaints with everyone, no worries. The menus feel especially awfully laid out to a lot of people.

As someone with a LOT of time with Juri, yeah she's a ton of fun to use. She's also pretty gimped in Modern (not enough it's really a problem, there are Diamond and Master Juri players aplenty), so if/when you decide to make the hop to classic, you might again be overwhelmed. It's worth it, though!

1. The battlepass thing is purely for Battle Hub shenanigans and World Tour avatar drip, correct.

2. That's all I know they're good for

3. World Tour will absolutely drip-feed game mechanics to you in an organic way, they did a great job with it.

4. "Raw Super" just means a Super outside of a combo. They say things like "It's a bold move" because a raw super that gets whiffed can leave you open for huge damage... and if you're in Platinum or higher, chances are your opponent will put a lot of hurt on you. That being said, it's not always the case: You can full screen punish fireballs with Cammy's Level 3 if you're quick enough, for instance.

5. Drive Impact is slow enough that you can react to it. The real story is people use "safe on block" cancelable moves when poking, and if your opponent throws out a Drive Impact, it gets briefly paused when/if you hit it. This gives people way more time to block or counter. That being said, if you continue to use Drive Impacts in really predictable ways, people will start recognizing the pattern very quickly, and throw out their own.

6. Pretty much yeah. There's also a content calendar thing, but for the most part it's tomogachi and stats.

7. I dunno if we have an active discord, tbh.
I do recall googling around as to which characters were more/less gimped w/modern and I do remember Juri being on the list. Maybe JP too?

Anyway:
Thank you so much for both reading my monstrous amount of questions and giving such a thoughtful, thorough response. Super helpful!

Think I'll hop back into World Tour, then; I think my most recent task was to get a part time job, which struck me as a bit Yakuza (a series I adore). Always down for a part time job in a game about punching people lol

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Time to reinstall, been almost a month since I had to take a break - but now I will jump back into things whilst attempting to keep the emotions in check.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
The current approach is the traditional approach. Ain't broke, don't fix it.

The simple fact of the matter is no other way of fighting game balancing has proven to be better received or retain more players.
I think this method works precisely because SF6 got a lot of shit right tbh. Being as strongly systems driven as it is, having such compressed tiers, and a feature packed game with quality netcode and mostly good matchmaking and a good ranking system (when you get to master).

Let the meta evolve sounds rad, until it's like vanilla strive or some shit. Capcom just hella cooked tho, so that gamble paid off.
I think tournaments are good but yeah, there are some killers here on ERA. lol. I haven't looked to see how the tournament shook out, but I know FluxWave in particular is very legit and I would imagine he wasn't alone. Also, I think many here who did and did not participate in the tournament were in a similar boat as me in having not touched the game much for some extended amount of time.

Still, I kind of regret not participating even if there was something of a competitive gulf between many of the players. If I wasn't stressing over an imminent work project, I think I would've signed up as I kept checking to see where the number of entrants was pretty much up to the start time of the tournament and kept having to talk myself out of not signing up. lol. That said, while playing against players better than you can be a great way to learn, it can be hard to take much from getting worked by someone so doing something in addition to tournaments would be great. I look forward to whatever comes of this and thank you for your hard work on this.

Unrelated, I know there's some overlap here between people who play this and Tekken 8, but I wanted to get some folks here thoughts on the negativity around Tekken 8. Specifically, its cosmetics offering. I wanted to get thoughts here on it because I feel like as far as that stuff goes, while Tekkens approach is heavily flawed Tekken is also handling them notably better than either SF6 or MK1 are. And yet I feel like Tekken's getting roasted for that stuff far more than either of those games. Particularly it feels like this is lingering more than it did with those games.
MK1 with its cosmetics and Fatality DLC probably garnered more ire but I feel like that stuff was the culmination of people being just generally frustrated with that game so that kind of got lumped in with that. Then with SF6 there's the fact that the content of their battle pass equivalent is... basically worthless. Not to mention that the costumes are, what like $2 more than Tekken costumes? And while all three games commit the worst sin of not allowing you to spend exact amounts on stuff the minimum amount you can buy of Tekken's currency is at least enough to buy one costume. While there are some general frustrations with T8 among its fanbase, the situation with the game beyond its microtransactions is generally pretty good.

I guess my questions are:

Do you agree that Tekken is getting roasted more over this stuff than SF6 and MK1?

If so, why do you think that is?

If you don't agree, why?

To me, it just feels like Tekken is getting more heat for this stuff. Again, I'm not even saying whatever heat any of these companies are getting for this stuff isn't at least semi-justified, but I've found the reaction to Tekken in particular a little surprising is all as its felt a bit more outsized with it to me.
Tekken deserves the roasting for not being upfront about it, and because Namco already did shit like charging for frame data info in training mode n shit the previous game, as well as the balancing of the previous game.

Matchmaking is worse in Tekken 8 right now, the game while itself a banger, is also a bit frustrating in terms of how oppressive it can be.

SF6 also catches heat for the costume pricing and using fake ass space bucks (still called fight money, but a system worse than 5), but since it's upfront about everything else, most cats took it as just oh it's doing what every other game does.

There are also legacy expectations for Tekkens customization.

Both should catch heat tho, those goofy ass avatars and all their cosmetics and battle pass stuff I'm sure takes a lot of time n effort, but I'd rather be getting new costumes for the cast. Or more specifically mine. And while we are at it why can't I do like basic costume changes like a jacket less Cammy/ken, no cape JP shit like that. Sfv had stuff like that for some characters apparently.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I think this method works precisely because SF6 got a lot of shit right tbh. Being as strongly systems driven as it is, having such compressed tiers, and a feature packed game with quality netcode and mostly good matchmaking and a good ranking system (when you get to master).

It also worked with SFV tho, which everybody called the opposite of a systems driven game, was not feature packed for many years, had low quality netcode, and a ranking system most high level players found pointless.

It was one of the better balanced fighting games for the entirety of its run tho.

Being patient with balance patches is just the way to go, period.

El Sloth

Oct 26, 2017
Lord help me, I think I'm about to start seriously playing Dee Jay. Might have to buy that costume 3 as well.
You could do worse. He's one of those characters I feel has no obvious weaknesses.

Then again, we're still not sure what the approach to changing stuff up is going to be for this SF6 team. DJ might get his knees broken going into season 2.

eDIGI

Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hope we get character art for all the season 2 characters when they finally do announce the new season. Even though the wait felt long it was cool at least knowing who was going to show up!

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
You could do worse. He's one of those characters I feel has no obvious weaknesses.

Then again, we're still not sure what the approach to changing stuff up is going to be for this SF6 team. DJ might get his knees broken going into season 2.

Dee Jay's only real weakness is no low-hitting cancable normal. His long range normals aren't cancelable either so he's technically vulnerable to DI when poking at a particular distance, but I think he fares better in this regard than, say, Guile.

Frankly, other than maybe slowing down his DR a tad and toning down his damage (though the latter is for a lot of characters generally), I think Dee Jay should remain exactly as is.

My guess is def trailer this week and playable at evo japan next week.

Doubtful that he'll be playable at Evo JPN, since Capcom already said the Gamagouki thing was where players would get early access to Akuma from May 1st - May 6th. If he was going to be playable at Evo JPN first I doubt they'd have bothered.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah the dude is incredibly fun to play. I'm playing way too basic with him though.
Come over to the Kimberly side! We have the best tasting crayons bar none!!
What's funny is that Kimberly is my highest winrate character, but I dislike her super 1 so much that it actively deters me from playing her.

How the team approaches balancing is what I'm wondering about the most. I just hope they do a good job and keep the game enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.