• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm implying that they don't need a big November game because Mario and Animal Crossing are selling so well. I think it's silly for fans to worry about Nintendo this year because the marketing isn't firing on all cylinders. Now, if I were a shareholder, I would be concerned, but the fans have seen Nintendo go through worse times.
Don't you have that a bit backwards? As a shareholder, they should be very comfortable with Nintendo's performance this year.

As a fan, I want games to play. That's why people are hoping for a November game. I think the hardcore fans consider this to be a very weak year, which is understandable. Still, I'd like to get at least one new Nintendo game this year, it would be the first time I haven't done that since I was like 5 years old lol.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Ill be honest here: I could just take out my WiiU from the cupboard and play all those three games right now, so the only reason I am contemplating this collection is just for the sake of convenience.

But people here complaining about Nintendo are something else. Dont like it? Dont buy it. Its a hobby, a game, not something vital. I also wish I could buy an RTX3090, but why oh why it has to be $1500? Isnt it anti-consumer if I cant afford it?
This is also a message board where we discuss video games are often (rightly) highly critical of video game companies and their policies.

And cutting edge technology being expensive and artificially limiting the availability of digital games is not even close to the same thing.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think M64 is likely the only rom (since it's still 4:3) with Sunshine and Galaxy probably being ports. I'd have liked 60fps in at least Sunshine though and it not being there makes me guess framerate data may be tied in with game logic, water physics and/or animation cycles (this is also why all the 3DS and Wii U Zelda remasters stick with 30fps btw) even though Sunshine was originally planned to be 60fps as well.

That some texture assets and all UI elements were revised for higher resolutions though means Nintendo took some effort to preserve the original visuals while still updating things, to the point you don't even really notice until you put them side by side. We're getting a lot of lazy devs rhetoric about this collection but I don't think that's entirely accurate, it's more people think the priorities are misplaced.

The comment about roms wasn't intended to be taken literally, though with 64 it may actually be the case.

And yeah, "lazy" definitely isn't the right word here. Most things Nintendo does seem very deliberate.

Jul 26, 2018
User Warned: Lazy Dev Rhetoric
Nobody should be happy about this outside of Nintendo and their shareholders. This is an extremely lazy port, is capping off a terrible Switch year in general and worst of all is the limited availability bullshit they're pulling. Utter disgrace

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
While other publishers are remaking entire trilogies from the ground up and releasing them at budget prices, Nintendo is throwing a few barely-tweaked roms on a disc and charging top dollar. It isn't hard to see why people aren't entirely satisfied.
The situation between the Crash and Spyro collection is different, on one hand we have collection made to celebrate the anniversary of one of gaming biggest franchises who not only keeps releasing games, merchandise and spin-offs that either are critically acclaimed or well-received while in the other we have two collections made to franchises that has been irrelevant since 2008 since their last 3 games were mediocre

Is really easy to see why comparing them is dumb

Last edited:

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly why 1. They didn't need to put much effort into it and 2. It's $60

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
This is also a message board where we discuss video games are often (rightly) highly critical of video game companies and their policies.

And cutting edge technology being expensive and artificially limiting the availability of digital games is not even close to the same thing.

So you think Nvidia is not artificially inflating their prices?

Jul 26, 2018
The situation between Crash and Spyro collection is different, on one hand we have collection made to celebrate the anniversary of one of gaming biggest franchise who not only keeps releasing games, merchandise and spin-offs that either are critically acclaimed or well-received while in the other we have two collection made to revitalize brands that has been irrelevant since 2008 since their latest games were mediocre

Is easy to see why comparing them is dumb
No no no no. This is just giving them a pass

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The situation between Crash and Spyro collection is different, on one hand we have collection made to celebrate the anniversary of one of gaming biggest franchise who not only keeps releasing games, merchandise and spin-offs that either are critically acclaimed or well-received while in the other we have two collection mades to revitalize brands that has been irrelevant since 2008 since their latest games were mediocre

Enlighten me.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a lot of people bought games digitally going by the top 2 biggest sellers.
Honestly, Amazon lists always skew towards Nintendo for that reason. Switch has a higher physical to digital ratio compared to the other systems so the Switch games always rank much higher on Amazon than say where they rank on NPD.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The situation between Crash and Spyro collection is different, on one hand we have collection made to celebrate the anniversary of one of gaming biggest franchise who not only keeps releasing games, merchandise and spin-offs that either are critically acclaimed or well-received while in the other we have two collections made to revitalize brands that has been irrelevant since 2008 since their latest games were mediocre

Plus the Trilogies take 3 games from the same generation and can reuse a ton of assets between them(main character model and animations for example), while these three games are from different gens with different artstyles

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
Crash and Spyro can do the as little as this Mario collection but would they sell?

that's the difference.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, Amazon lists always skew towards Nintendo for that reason. Switch has a higher physical to digital ratio compared to the other systems so the Switch games always rank much higher on Amazon than say where they rank on NPD.
They rank lower on NPD because they have NO digital counted. The only other big publisher in the same boat is Bethesda iirc.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
They do rank higher on Amazon but digital isn't included in NPD for Nintendo.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Mama Mia! So much success and yet there are fans that are anxious about Nintendo not having a big November game this year. It would be nice if they had one more big game this year, but Nintendo's incredibly safe (and lame) strategy this year is really paying off.

I don't visit many Nintendo threads but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most people aren't anxious about Nintendo's profit margins and assume there anxious that Nintendo isn't going to have a new game this holiday.

Assuming they don't release an unannounced game in November and considering a Pikmin 3 port and a collection of ports with the minimal amount of effort Nintendo could have possibly put into them are the "big" releases this Fall, I'm not sure what they could possibly have ready to be released in November. I doubt BOTW2 is ready for November and the only other big game I can think of that might be close to being finished is Bayonetta 3 but I also don't think that game is done.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the Metroid Prime trilogy was announced and released in November. If we're not getting a new game I wouldn't hate it as their holiday game considering it's the port I want to play and it supposedly being finished should help with the troubles they've clearly been having due to COVID.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
If you really want to criticize that, go right ahead. Still not remotely the same thing as what Nintendo is doing.

How is it not? its exactly the same thing. Capitalism. Demand and offer. Companies offer their products for sale, and they price them accordingly to their expectations. If they fail to meet those expectations, they revise their prices/strategies. Here Nintendo is offering a product. Said products has a high number of preorders. If people did not perceive the value in the product, they would not preorder?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The situation between the Crash and Spyro collection is different, on one hand we have collection made to celebrate the anniversary of one of gaming biggest franchises who not only keeps releasing games, merchandise and spin-offs that either are critically acclaimed or well-received while in the other we have two collections made to revitalize brands that has been irrelevant since 2008 since their last 3 games were mediocre

Why do you bring up this ridiculous argument to excuse Nintendo for doing the bare minimum effort with this release? They will be fine, the sales were never in question because it's Nintendo 1st party and FOMO, that's one hell of a combination. I don't know why have to excuse Nintendo for their lack of ambition for this re-release.
Except this isn't really lazy? There was no need to remake these games.
This almost feels like we should be thanking Nintendo for giving us the chance to buy these games for a limited time. Wow... I think I'm just gonna go to bed, there's work tomorrow.

Last edited:

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

They rank lower on NPD because they have NO digital counted. The only other big publisher in the same boat is Bethesda iirc.

also: this is a SKU chart. every multiplatform game is listed separately by platform, thats why they rank lower than on npd.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I'm fully aware. you both understand the comment was more about why the non-Nintendo games don't rank higher on Amazon?
Because the SKUs are separated and they're packaged releases (no digital). The NPD comparison made no real sense in context though. Also Nintendo's digital rate isn't far off from the others, especially since Covid.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Shame people go hardcore into crappy ports like this. I wonder if it'll still have the bogus controls and camera of SM64.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
No no no no. This is just giving them a pass

I mean objectively it's true. Nintendo can put in the bare minimum investment in this port collection and be rewarded for it. The demand is there. You don't have to like it, I personally don't feel it's a $60 value, but it's not so much "giving them a pass" as being objective that they are able to do this because of the prestige of these 3D Mario titles.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
About what?

LMAO how many times are you going to keep spewing this same absolutely nuts argument to excuse Nintendo for doing the bare minimum effort with this release? They will be fine, the sales were never in doubt because it's Nintendo 1st party and FOMO, that's one hell of a combination. I don't know why you feel the need to excuse Nintendo so hard for their lack of ambition for this re-release.

This almost feels like we should be thanking Nintendo for giving us the chance to buy these games for a limited time. Wow... I think I'm just gonna go to bed, there's work tomorrow.
Ehh, nowhere i'm defending the whole limited thing (i think it's stupid) but the thing is that people comparing the Mario collection with other two misses the state of both brands and their reason the price and collections was done

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wack

Imagine if they actually put effort into the ports

Also that isn't a good sign for time limited games/collections in the future, although i imagine most publishers won't do that as they'll have to deal with lower lifetime sales

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Because the SKUs are separated and they're packaged releases (no digital). The NPD comparison made no real sense in context though. Also Nintendo's digital rate isn't far off from the others, especially since Covid.
In the context of why Switch games chart high on Amazon but the digital currency cards for PS and Xbox chart higher than most everything else. That's what I was responding to.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Eh nowhere i'm defending the whole limited thing (i think it's stupid) but the thing is that people comparing the Mario collection with other two misses the state of both brands and the reason the price and collection was done
Ok, we all know why Nintendo can get away with this. Can we criticize the poor product they're putting out now? Why they are doing it is not what people are discussing, and I couldn't care less about the why, I'd rather discuss what they could be offering instead. Because as a consumer, the product I'll be receiving is what interests me, and that should interest you too. Receiving a better port benefits us all and the legacy of the games themselves.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
In the context of why Switch games chart high on Amazon but the digital currency cards for PS and Xbox chart higher than most everything else. That's what I was responding to.
Nintendo's $10 eShop card is right up there with them? This distinction you're trying to make here is just getting more strained.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
This is exactly why they didn't give two shits about wasting even a single dime or second of time to give consumers a respectable port.
They know it will sell out regardless, so why even bother trying.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
User banned (3 days): driveby trolling, prior related infraction
Thanks Nintendo!
318qn2.png

Oct 25, 2017
Only reason I wouldn't think it's based on FOMO is because you got like half a year. This is probably because damn thing is out in less than two weeks

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit.

This proves the general public doesn't give a damn what hardcore players think is a good port. But ultimately, I think this is mainly moved by FOMO, I doubt the game would be selling this fast if it wasn't for that limited run bullshit.
Yes. I am sad to say this is what prompted my pre-order. I almost NEVER buy a game on release date anymore. Last one was Metal Gear Solid. Yes, the first one.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The situation between the Crash and Spyro collection is different, on one hand we have collection made to celebrate the anniversary of one of gaming biggest franchises who not only keeps releasing games, merchandise and spin-offs that either are critically acclaimed or well-received while in the other we have two collections made to franchises that has been irrelevant since 2008 since their last 3 games were mediocre

Is really easy to see why comparing them is dumb
It's also vastly inferior to almost any remaster or HD collection you could compare it to.